What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Dirtboy wrote:
    When did the server go down?

They are down 90% of the time, they are normally up from 3.30am till 7.30am GMT then they are down the rest of the time....Cryptic should really have offered a part-time subby....
    edited September 2009
    Cully wrote:
    You playing the correct game or what?
    Main page currently says Server Status: DOWN

Can you write any slower? i changed what I said seconds after I wrote it, minutes before you posted this...
    edited September 2009
    Great work! on release day in europe nothing works. well done...............

ah! sorry the forum works as well. so i can puke here.........
    edited September 2009
    When this happened to me, I just turned on Game Booster and defragged the Champions Online game files, and it worked perfectly afterwards.
    edited September 2009
    They are up now, as I'm inside playing right now.
    edited September 2009
    Read the Super News.
    edited September 2009
    I just had this problem too.
    edited September 2009
    Though.. I can't get to my char list now.. I logged in, got on one alt char to do something quickly which i was about to do before the servers were shut down.. so i log back out to get on my main.. and back into cant get onto the login server >.<
    edited September 2009
    got the problem aswell
    edited September 2009
    I wanna play the frikk'n game right now! GAH!
    edited September 2009
    I has problem...
    edited September 2009
    What a cruel brief moment of playable time -_- back to the tiny wittle window of updating launcher blah blah >.<
    edited September 2009
    Its my day off, and I want to play, but I can't =(
    edited September 2009
    Add me to the list, fine all day yesterday.

57 Pages on this with no DEV response, Shamefull... Very Shamefull
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here
    edited September 2009
    i just gots my inets back i want to play but can't cause the Launcher Autoupdate keeps timing out .. sigh..
    edited September 2009
    Post on front page of website (not forum) says the patcher is down, probably related.
    edited September 2009
    Can you guys at least let us know if you are working on the problem?
    edited September 2009
    Can you guys at least let us know if you are working on the problem?

It's all right here- http://www.champions-online.com/frontpage
    edited September 2009
    They are working on it, you would know that if you've been here since the start of the post, I live in Denmark, so different time zone, been like this all day for me, but it came back up for a few hours and then back down, they are working on it, but.. none knows how long it will take, the first time today (my today) it was down for about 2 hours, been that now here for the second time today (for me). So yeah... we'll see when it comes back, but quite the annoying problem =(
    edited September 2009
    Working for me now, just keep opening until it works
    edited September 2009
    I expected the game to have bugs and was willing to wait for patches for them, but this problem is preventing me from playing the game all together. It's quite rediculous that cryptic hasn't replied to this problem.
    edited September 2009
    ssafro wrote:
    I expected the game to have bugs and was willing to wait for patches for them, but this problem is preventing me from playing the game all together. It's quite rediculous that cryptic hasn't replied to this problem.

Here it is- http://www.champions-online.com/frontpage
    edited September 2009
    This strikes me as incredibly-poor situational handling by Cryptic. We've got only a message saying the patcher is down, without any more real context.

I don't mean to whine so incredibly much, but it IS one of my few days off, and I'd rather be spending it playing this game than having to find out what's gone wrong. Of course, I don't want to pretend that the game revolves around me, but this DOES seem like a poor example of handling what's going on.

I had actually gotten the game to work, though my character list took a few tries to load up. After trying to retrieve the list of maps, the game timed out, and I quit. Trying to re-up the game, I got the idle connection error thing.
    edited September 2009
    Benzenz wrote:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/498381

"A small issue with the patching servers needed our immediate attention. As a result, players can currently not patch the game. As we currently have no time estimate, we will keep you updated as this progresses. Thank you!"

'A small issue' is their definition of something that puts a game completely down? No, that's something pretty big, considering this is the third day after launch.
    edited September 2009
    Poyzinblud wrote:
    This strikes me as incredibly-poor situational handling by Cryptic. We've got only a message saying the patcher is down, without any more real context.

I don't mean to whine so incredibly much, but it IS one of my few days off, and I'd rather be spending it playing this game than having to find out what's gone wrong. Of course, I don't want to pretend that the game revolves around me, but this DOES seem like a poor example of handling what's going on.

I had actually gotten the game to work, though my character list took a few tries to load up. After trying to retrieve the list of maps, the game timed out, and I quit. Trying to re-up the game, I got the idle connection error thing.

Here! LOL wow people- http://www.champions-online.com/frontpage
    edited September 2009
    Benzenz wrote:
    Poyzinblud wrote:

"A small issue with the patching servers needed our immediate attention. As a result, players can currently not patch the game. As we currently have no time estimate, we will keep you updated as this progresses. Thank you!"

'A small issue' is their definition of something that puts a game completely down? No, that's something pretty big, considering this is the third day after launch.

Sorry. Ya' beat me to it.
    edited September 2009
    Having this problem as well.. I had high hopes for this game and have been defending it from ranters, but I'm starting to run into problems with it left and right; I'm starting to agree with them.. :(
    edited September 2009
    hmm im pretty f..... up about this down time but it can be a good sign to , i think there are more players than they expected and the servers crashin cause of that. an evidence for that is that the servers where up all time during the first days of early accsess.
    (sorry about my english) XD
    edited September 2009
    Sugar_Wolf wrote:
    Having this problem as well.. I had high hopes for this game and have been defending it from ranters, but I'm starting to run into problems with it left and right; I'm starting to agree with them.. :(

Add me to that, and also to top it off an email from play telling me due to unforeseen circumstances we have not been able to dispatch the item as early as planned... WTF!!! Its been on pre-order for months :mad:
    edited September 2009
    I have this annoying problem... among many others

1 in 40 times i get through to the launcher... then it decides if its going to patch properly or not... only once have I got all the way through to character creator
    edited September 2009
    thx Benzenz!! I hate it when things are hidden out in the open:)
    edited September 2009
    Poyzinblud wrote:

I agree, this 'small issue' is sucking up the time I PAID to play this game. It really is quite ridiculous especially (as you said) that this is happening practically ON the launch of the game.
    edited September 2009
    The patcher hates everybody, the auto loader hates everybody, that is the reason they do not work :)
    edited September 2009
    ssafro wrote:
    I agree, this 'small issue' is sucking up the time I PAID to play this game. It really is quite ridiculous especially (as you said) that this is happening practically ON the launch of the game.

Every MMO has problems like this, especially around launch. Just wait for them to fix it and stop whining and complaining. Stuff happens and life isn't perfect, deal with it.
    edited September 2009
    thx Benzenz!! I hate it when things are hidden out in the open:)

NP. I am leveling a new character named Scarmor if "anyone" wants to join me and get to level 15 ASAP- ( I know the LEGAL tricks for this too :cool: ) And send Scarmor@Benzenz for a Super Group invite to EPIC, a new SG trying to master the game ASAP to "run" things and be one of the best SGs from the start. PvE and PvP are in our repetoire. Nuff Said!!!

P.S. I know that this shouldn't be in this thread...but what the hay..celebrities get to plug their ish everywhere all the time...so I will too! ..Just this once that is...lol ;)

Fin. :cool:
    edited September 2009
    kcm117 wrote:
    Every MMO has problems like this, especially around launch. Just wait for them to fix it and stop whining and complaining. Stuff happens and life isn't perfect, deal with it.

I said in an earlier post that of course I expected it to have problems and would put up with them until they were patched. Of course I wouldn't expect the game to be down all together. Also If I did sound like I was complaining more then i'm allowed its only because i reserved the right to when i paid for the game.
    edited September 2009
    same issue as above bla bla bla. its unfortunate, but the real reason people are freaking out is because the game is great. they want to play this great game and we cant. that makes us sad. :(
    edited September 2009
    elj0h0 wrote:
    same issue as above bla bla bla. its unfortunate, but the real reason people are freaking out is because the game is great. they want to play this great game and we cant. that makes us sad. :(

Exactly! Thank you!
    edited September 2009
    ssafro wrote:

I don't care about the time I paid; I got a free month of play time.

I'm honestly worried about the reputation of the game; a game where, at this stage, has a make-or-break relation it's PR. I've never been so infuriated by a game than when the developers/admins keep its' players in the dark. That is NOT something you want to do when your game has just been launched, and people are still forming their own opinions of the game.
    edited September 2009
    same as above!

I came home after a hard long day at work looking forward to kicking some A$$!
    and bam.... patcher won't update and I saw its 600MB too!!! will take all night if it did work!

also...
    why don't we get patch notes on the launcher???
    edited September 2009
    I have just started getting it now.
    The game was excellent at the end of closed beta, but they started to break it in open beta, and spoiling it even more when it got live. And now i cant even get to the login screen :/
    edited September 2009
    I'm getting that message for a long time then getting an unable to authenticate error.
    edited September 2009
    So... like no gamey-gamey today eh? -.-"
    edited September 2009
    I just started getting this today (thursday the 3rd)
    edited September 2009
    I'm also seeing the small window saying it's trying to update the launcher. Then it sits for a few minutes before another window comes up saying the launcher was idle for too long. What the freak?
    edited September 2009
    same as above!

I came home after a hard long day at work looking forward to kicking some A$$!
    and bam.... patcher won't update and I saw its 600MB too!!! will take all night if it did work!

also...
    why don't we get patch notes on the launcher???

You would think they would have learned a little from a certain very successful MMO 'cough' 'cough'
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this issue too.

Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient.

Then after a few minutes

The connection was idle for to long.

Fendaria
    edited September 2009
    World Of.. Dorkmaths?

Anyway, I think its because the servers are down. It worked for me all night and just stopped working now, and just started happening to a friend of mine too.
    edited September 2009
    damn, i just donwloaded the game and was all exicted..now this server update thing..ugghhh!!!