test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan uniform policy revision

haamre00haamre00 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
Hello Dev Team & @ambassadorkael#6946 , hope you've a wonderful day. :)

I remember a few years back, that the argument for not having the Romulan BOFFs be able to wear (i.e.) Starfleet uniform was due to the rights owner (CBS) specifically prohibiting it, due to it being "uncanonical" as no Romulans were ever allowed into SF - or something along the lines.

With Star Trek Picard obviously pushing that problem away, I was wondering - would it be now possible to revisit that policy, and allow for our Romulans, Lukari & other "allied BOFFs" to be customized to look as an integrated part of our crew?

Kind regards & hope this isn't a meaningless question. ;)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    Yes, removing the visiting officer tailor restrictions would be a nice change.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    I would very much like this because (ironically) if you create a Fed aligned Romulan both the captain and Boffs have access to multiple Federation uniforms. Yet a Fed captain cannot put an embassy Rom Boff into a Fed uniform.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    The Embassy Romulan BOff was from before LoR, so it kinda makes sense that you can't do that with the Embassy BOff. We still have a Jem'Hadar BOff we can get that we can't edit either, and we can't edit the Breen BOff even though we have Breen costume parts available to us now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    The Breen boff is because we still have no idea what Breen look like under the suits and Cryptic doesn't want to speculate on that, so we don't get to remove the suit.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Embassy Romulan BOff was from before LoR, so it kinda makes sense that you can't do that with the Embassy BOff. We still have a Jem'Hadar BOff we can get that we can't edit either, and we can't edit the Breen BOff even though we have Breen costume parts available to us now.

They recently replaced the old embassy boffs with the new set. Did they fix the tailor options for the new ones?
  • Options
    They recently replaced the old embassy boffs with the new set. Did they fix the tailor options for the new ones?

I wouldn't know. I honestly never got even the old ones.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    At the very least I'd like to see some new options for Romulan boffs. Current outfit selection for Romulans is, for lack of a better term, lame. Standard Republic uniform just screams "Brown!" which is something that should really be said quietly.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    Huh... all my Republic uniforms are green...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    At the very least I'd like to see some new options for Romulan boffs. Current outfit selection for Romulans is, for lack of a better term, lame. Standard Republic uniform just screams "Brown!" which is something that should really be said quietly.
    Hear, hear! The player-character options are also rather poor, in my opinion. (There's a reason why one of my Romulan admirals wears civilian clothing, and I headcanon her as a former mercenary in D'Tan's employ who became more committed to the cause of the Republic after the Empire's attempt at conditioning her.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

I've asked some folks in Reddit chat to test it - and apparently (tested on a BOFF claimed in December 2022 - so, after the change) - they still lack any additional uniform customizations over the old ones. :(
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Huh... all my Republic uniforms are green...

Perhaps I'm misremembering; it's been some time since I did anything with the Romulans. Either way, very drab, with IMO boring designs.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,009 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's a reason why one of my Romulan admirals wears civilian clothing...)
    I don't think I have a Uniform on any of my Romulans.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's a reason why one of my Romulan admirals wears civilian clothing...)
    I don't think I have a Uniform on any of my Romulans.
    Admiral Tovan Khev wears the Alliance uniform in black, with green accents and green-and-black drapes on his epaulets. Kehel, the half-Romulan/half-Reman commander of the Freelance, wears civilian attire.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    The Romulan Republic space navy is still more of a spacegoing ad-hoc militia than a formal (para)military force like Starfleet or the KDF. In theory they would eventually formalize it to where uniforms are more than just a suggestion.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    The Romulan Republic space navy is still more of a spacegoing ad-hoc militia than a formal (para)military force like Starfleet or the KDF. In theory they would eventually formalize it to where uniforms are more than just a suggestion.

Yeah we got to remember that the Romulan Republic is only about 1-2 years old (the STO chronology is a bit messy) having been founded in 2409 so it probably is still working out things you need for proper nation instead of (semi)loose collection of refugees and revolutionaries.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Not an excuse - even the Rebel Alliance had proper uniforms for everyone.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Not an excuse - even the Rebel Alliance had proper uniforms for everyone.​​

except they didn't, there's at least 2 radically different styles of rank insignia and at least 2 forms of uniform within the 3-6 years of the original trilogy films (it's 3 years between ANH and TESB but I don't remember if the chronology between TESB and ROTJ has been ever firmly established) alone, not mention the various agents who wear nothing but civilian clothes.

Also the economic situation is very different the Galactic Empire is more or less economically stable so the Rebel Alliance will have access to the civilian markets since it is for all intents and purposes an internal threat to the Empire.

Where as the Romulan Star Empire is gone, sure Sela's successor state has the same name but it has limited control over a fraction of what the old RSE had, most systems seem neutral in the conflict and it's more or less confirmed D'tan does not have access to resources of Sela's RSE, so D'tan followers/Romulan Republic act more like an external threat to Sela's RSE both who are fighting over the Corpse of the old RSE.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

Yeah we got to remember that the Romulan Republic is only about 1-2 years old (the STO chronology is a bit messy) having been founded in 2409 so it probably is still working out things you need for proper nation instead of (semi)loose collection of refugees and revolutionaries.

You do bring up some good points, however - if you look at the countries, which popped - even temporary - up post-WW1 (Poland, Ukraine, Czechoslovakia, the Baltic States, Finland, etc) - they all had uniforms (sometimes varied, but they were still clearly distinguished as a military force) despite the rather poor economic situation after the "Great War" just ended.

I'd suppose that replicating a bunch of uniforms in the 25. century shouldn't prove too much of a problem, especially if both the Federation & the Klingon Empire have provided their support.
  • Options
    haamre00 wrote: »

You do bring up some good points, however - if you look at the countries, which popped - even temporary - up post-WW1 (Poland, Ukraine, Czechoslovakia, the Baltic States, Finland, etc) - they all had uniforms (sometimes varied, but they were still clearly distinguished as a military force) despite the rather poor economic situation after the "Great War" just ended.

I'd suppose that replicating a bunch of uniforms in the 25. century shouldn't prove too much of a problem, especially if both the Federation & the Klingon Empire have provided their support.

I suspect actually producing the uniforms isn't the issue so much as getting everyone to agree on what the uniforms look like.

Also I'd like to point out that Finland did not in fact get uniforms for everyone (at least not proper ones) even in 1939, there's this "uniform" we called "model Kajander" which consisted of a national emblem, military belt and a winter camo jacket for front line troops. We didn't get proper uniforms for everyone until after the Winter War (note that I was born well after the war but I am a Finn) and that's a 20 year gap not a 2 year one.

Also Romulan Republic fleet seems to have everyone in uniform, it might be a bland(ish) uniform but still a uniform.
  • Options

I suspect actually producing the uniforms isn't the issue so much as getting everyone to agree on what the uniforms look like.

Also I'd like to point out that Finland did not in fact get uniforms for everyone (at least not proper ones) even in 1939, there's this "uniform" we called "model Kajander" which consisted of a national emblem, military belt and a winter camo jacket for front line troops. We didn't get proper uniforms for everyone until after the Winter War (note that I was born well after the war but I am a Finn) and that's a 20 year gap not a 2 year one.

Also Romulan Republic fleet seems to have everyone in uniform, it might be a bland(ish) uniform but still a uniform.

Well, there might always be temporary shortages in time of need - doesn't mean that the majority would wear the uniform. I don't really buy that argument, that "they wouldn't agree on what uniform to wear" - that's not a fashion contest, just an executive order made either by the ruling government body - or the CiC. As you observed yourself - the Romulans in-game do have some uniform designs. They are not set in stone because it's a game - and neither do the other factions, as it is a conscious decision of the game designers.

In the past, the argument was that it was due to licensing restrictions on the side of the IP-provider - as Romulans were seen as "enemy faction" on screen. As this has changed with the recent shows, don't you feel it being only appropriate to reflect that change in the "status quo" found within the game itself...?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    A reluctance to settle on a particular uniform is realistic considering that the Romulans suffered under an extremely invasive authoritarian regime for at least a century before the underground movement D'tan led started to gain any traction.

The Republic at this point is still a fairly loose gathering of multiple groups, many of whom were rebels or downtrodden minorities in the old RSE, so D'Tan probably wants to do things with a light touch at least until it all solidifies into a more cohesive society so as not to spook the more skittish of the factions he is trying to weld together. Before that welding fully takes hold and the new national identity becomes solidified it would not take much to tear the Republic apart, especially if those factions start noticing any whiff of the old RSE's iron fist of authoritarianism under D'Tan's silk gloves approach.

If you read the bios of other players you see that kind of patchwork quilt effect in action, many of them are pirates who came in from the cold, RSE units who refused to follow Sela and have nowhere else to go, Obisek's forces after the merge with D'Tan's group, survivors from semi-independent colonies destroyed by Hakeev and the Elachi, etc.

Many of them don't consider themselves to be part of the Republic themselves (or not yet anyway) and at least for the moment consider themselves more allies of necessity than actual citizens and part of some official space navy and so they keep whatever uniform (even if the 'uniform' was civvies) they had before they made common cause with the Republic. And all that is part of the charm that draws players to playing a Romulan in STO.
  • Options
    A reluctance to settle on a particular uniform is realistic considering that the Romulans suffered under an extremely invasive authoritarian regime for at least a century before the underground movement D'tan led started to gain any traction.

The Republic at this point is still a fairly loose gathering of multiple groups, many of whom were rebels or downtrodden minorities in the old RSE, so D'Tan probably wants to do things with a light touch at least until it all solidifies into a more cohesive society so as not to spook the more skittish of the factions he is trying to weld together. Before that welding fully takes hold and the new national identity becomes solidified it would not take much to tear the Republic apart, especially if those factions start noticing any whiff of the old RSE's iron fist of authoritarianism under D'Tan's silk gloves approach.

If you read the bios of other players you see that kind of patchwork quilt effect in action, many of them are pirates who came in from the cold, RSE units who refused to follow Sela and have nowhere else to go, Obisek's forces after the merge with D'Tan's group, survivors from semi-independent colonies destroyed by Hakeev and the Elachi, etc.

Many of them don't consider themselves to be part of the Republic themselves (or not yet anyway) and at least for the moment consider themselves more allies of necessity than actual citizens and part of some official space navy and so they keep whatever uniform (even if the 'uniform' was civvies) they had before they made common cause with the Republic. And all that is part of the charm that draws players to playing a Romulan in STO.
    True enough, but would it kill them to at least borrow the fabric dyes from the Federation and make something that doesn't look like it was left to age on Nimbus III for two years?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I suspect borrow fabric dye got caught in senatorial subcommittee (or what Romulan Republic version is) again because you got various interest groups whom D'tan is trying to get work together so D'tan wants to avoid the idea new Praetor same as the old.

As it stands far more important in the list of priorities for the Romulan Republic then new uniforms and trying to push that forward would be seen as the old RSE returning.

EDIT:remember that Romulan Republic has groups like Obisek's Remans in it who barely trust D'Tan (and the PC if Romulan) but have little to no trust towards any other Romulans and would sooner resort to thalaron weapons then see the old RSE return.

EDIT2:Often these things are not so much a case of not having the capacity to produce/buy items but the ability of procure those items getting caught in Red Tape.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • Options
    Btw - I believe we're getting sidetracked here, about the Romulan Uniforms - which the Embassy BOFFs already have access to. ;)

The original topic was - do we want to have the possibility (note that it's an option - not a "mandatory" ruling), for them, to be able to wear the faction-appropriate uniforms, while serving on our (non-Romulan) ships, or not?
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Good thing I swapped over to Imperial colors, also don't mind Imperial Toven, He can't hurt you,
    a6277877b40880db1da757cf392b85bd.jpg

f294f5848cc53d527bb49767cdf60b25.jpg

I only wear the Republic uniform when I need to turn on the charm on Tiaru Jarok, the Intel gloves adds a bit of a badboy look to it.
    yvns1qfpi3us.png

• Options
    Btw - I believe we're getting sidetracked here, about the Romulan Uniforms - which the Embassy BOFFs already have access to. ;)

The original topic was - do we want to have the possibility (note that it's an option - not a "mandatory" ruling), for them, to be able to wear the faction-appropriate uniforms, while serving on our (non-Romulan) ships, or not?
    Again it's not as big of a side track as you might think, above all Romulans are prideful people and even allowing (not mandating but allowing) Romulan officers to wear non-Romulan uniforms could be seen as "giving in" or "submitting" by some parts.

Logical no, perfectly in character for Romulan yes very much so.
  • Options

Colius Bio, been updated in 2411,
    "I grew up on Romulus and I come from a long line of Imperial Navy Officers and Tal Shiar agents, my parents were part of the Tal Shiar until they mysteriously dissappeared while on a mission investing reports of borg activity (I eavesdropped their conversation with Hakeev), after I was orphaned, I stowawayed on a ship, I was Immediately found out, I spend most of my youth serving on that same ship under Malem as well as D'Vex and Nevala, as the resident child genius the science career was a given, as a young adult, I did some security jobs on Virinat to earn enough funds to get off this rock, I managed to seduce every woman on the Virinat colony, even Toven Khev's sister (which he doesn't know about), I was planning on following my parents footsteps as a Tal Shiar agent but life had other plans for me, I reluctantly joined the separatist traitors and quickly rose through their ranks, they eventually grew on me and I've been using their resources to find my missing parents since but I don't support D'Tan's decision to form an alliance with the filthy vulcans and their federation lapdogs, Sigh... it's been 2 years, since my last log, I finally found my parents, they were Borg drones, I had to put them down, with Sela's imprisonment my chance at rebuilding the Star Empire into a force for good greatly diminished, I still don't care about D'Tan or his goals, however I do enjoy Jarok's company, I might stay with the Republic for her, we've gotten pretty close in these last 2 years, I might take my chance at asking her out one day."

My character Colius is usually overly confident, Believes in Military traditions, very xenophobic, He was trained at young age at the art of Espionage and Hand to Hand Combat by his parents (He was basically a child soldier, way before the Elachi attack), is very Pro-Tal Shiar, he was a womanizer before he met Jarok, he was part of the Maiori Malem's crew adding more stuff to his already impressive skillset like pistol training, however I wasn't planning turning him into a bumbling Jarok simp, that kind of just happened on it's own, however that said it works narratively since it at least gives him a reason to remain with the Republic, even if most of his views doesn't really align with them, Jarok kind of serves as a morality chain.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Y'all need to stay on target here. 🤨
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    Anyways Embassy BOFFs should have the option to equip Federation, it's not like the Officer Exchange Program Starfleet had with the KDF, unlike both groups the Republic is still relatively new, maybe in another Century or 2 there'll be an Exchange Program but not 2 years of formation.
  • Options
    Uniforms are a visual indication of allegiance and the Embassy boffs are meant as exchange officers, not mercs joining an allied military, so they really should not have access to full Federation or KDF uniforms (though some of the accessories would make a lot of sense, especially since the Starfleet Delta pin doubles as the standard communicator by the time of TNG).

They are not like Warf with his dual citizenship who joined Starfleet directly but was allowed the sash on his Starfleet uniform as a sign of unity or whatever.
This discussion has been closed.