test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I won't get too much into the arguments, because there is no point.
    So, you really have nothing to add to the conversation then? Thanks for stopping by, I guess.
    I will say however, that I honestly feel bad for Trek fans that won't let themselves like Discovery. This show is fantastic and only getting better.

Pick it apart if you want, we can do that with every Star Trek Series ever made. You're just cheating yourself, Discovery is fantastic.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Season 1 was the best first season in the franchise.
    Statements made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

The first season of Star Trek: Discovery was a mess. It was not even a very good mess.

Let's start with Burnham, since she is a recent topic in the thread. She is forced into a mutiny because her captain does not trust her and because Starfleet is monumentally stupid. The audience can see that T'Kuvma and Giorgio have forced Burnham's hand, so her redemption should be a simple matter. The writers had to take it one step further though. Burnham murdered T'Kuvma when taking him prisoner would have stopped the war. Here we see a clear case of "acting emotional instead of logical will have bad results". so, the audience is waiting for Burnham to face a situation where she must choose between logical and emotional, choose logic, and redeem herself. This never happens.

When Burnham goes to the mirror universe, there are opportunities here for her character to "make things right", but the writers refuse to give her the opportunity. In the pilot episodes, Burnham is in the brig talking to the helmsman when the Klingons fire their u-shaped disruptors and murder said helmsman. In the mirror universe, Burnham could have saved the mirror version of the helmsman, but the writers instead devolve into an "action packed knife fight with a forgone conclusion" and nothing of value is gained.

Mirror Giorgio could have been someone relatable, a character forced into her position by circumstances beyond her control. Someone the audience could sympathize with and serve as a catalyst for Burnham's redemption. Instead, we get a blood-thirsty lunatic who eats intelligent beings because "evil". So, when Burnham is forced (again) to choose between logic and emotion to save Empress Saru-breath, she again chooses emotion and the audience collectively face-palms.

At the climax, the Federation has reached peak-stupid and decides to blow up Qo'nos, because the writers don't know how to end the Klingon War. Burnham again has to choose between emotion and... stupid logic, chooses emotion and proves that "a broken watch is right twice a day". Then belts out a shallow, trite speech that has nothing to do with anything. Burnham does not change, does not grow, does not develop. Like a repairman with one tool, she just applies that hammer to everything until the universe proves her right.

The Klingons are stupid

T'Kuvma wants the Klingons to stop murdering themselves and murder someone else. Ok, fair enough. He convinces them in the dumbest way possible. Rather than a simple "oh look, Starfleet is massing a fleet on our border; let's murder them FIRST", he tries to justify the inevitable murdering by talking about "cultural erosion" when we can clearly see multi-cultural flea markets on Qo'nos. If you are worried about "muh culture", perhaps you should start with your own homeworld.

Kol's stooges set up a "fake diplomatic meeting" to capture Sarek. Why? Klingons are murderers and liars who look for an excuse to murder. They are grinding Starfleet into the dust. What possible use would you have for a diplomat hostage if you have completely crushed your enemy?

What the heck was the purpose of mutilating Voq? The Klingons just so happen to find Lorca and bring him to the prison ship; Lorca just so happens to rescue Tyler/Voq; Security Chief McFacist just so happened to get herself murdered so now there is an opening for a security chief onboard Discovery. Tyler/Voq just so happened to impress Lorca, get assigned to Discovery and was made security chief. However, he can't do any Klingon things until L'rell tells him the "secret passphrase", because he really does think he is Tyler. Well, it's a good thing that another series of coincidences got L'rell onboard Discovery, and that Culber decided to wait weeks before giving Tyler a physical. What is the payoff? Our confused, mutilated Klingon infiltrator murders Culber by accident. Why was Voq there in the first place? If L'rell never got onboard the ship, what was Tyler/Voq supposed to do?

During the Battle of the Binary Stars, a cloaked Klingon warship rams the Europa and both ships explode. It was the moment that cemented just how stupid and wasteful the Klingons really are.

Starfleet Command is stupid

It is established that the Klingons conducted "terror raids" which focused on murdering their neighbors. They only stopped when they were murdered in return. Starfleet spends no effort to keep an eye on the dangerously unstable Klingons. It seems a bit of a stretch that Giorgio does not trust her first officer, but why doesn't Starfleet confirm that "yes, the Klingons are murdering nutjobs and you must shoot them in the face to get their respect"?

During the Battle of the Binary Stars, T'Kuvma orders one of his ships to attack the Europa after giving the impression he wants to "talk". The Klingons have no respect for traditional diplomacy. Yet, in spite of all this, when Kol asks for "diplomatic talks" (even though he is winning the war, hands down) Starfleet says "well, we have to try, even though we know the Klingons are duplicitous reptile-birds who hate diplomacy". It's clearly a trap. So when Sarek becomes unavailable... you agree to send an admiral? Someone who probably knows oodles of juicy top-secret Starfleet intel? Well, if she has been eating lead paint chips like the rest of Starfleet Command, then the Klingons may not get that much out of her. Still, it seems stupid to send such a high-ranking officer into an obvious trap.

Starfleet's "final solution" to the Federation-Klingon War is to... blow up Qo'nos, the cradle of Klingon culture, history and art. The Klingons are murderers who lie and look for reasons to murder. Blowing up their homeworld is one heck of a reason to murder. They have already suicide bombed starbases and destroyed the atmosphere of planets, making them uninhabitable. What is stopping them from doing that to Earth, Vulcan, Tellar Prime, etc if you blow up their world? What moron thought this was a good idea? If the Klingons find out it was the Federation behind L'rell's coup, the Klingons would hate the Federation forvever. The Federation has sabotaged any chance for peace (until Praxis blows up, I guess). This is so monumentally short-sighted and stupid in every way.

There is a difference between saying "I enjoy/dislike Star Trek: Discovery" and saying "Star Trek: Discovery is fantastic/terrible". Your personal experience is just that; a personal experience. You cannot argue with personal experience. It just is. However, saying the show is "fantastic" or "terrible" is meaningless without context. Without reasons.

STDZ has an audience. Fans pay money to see it. I think it has a large enough audience to sustain itself, but the show is not going to grow it's audience if it continues to spew out terrible writing. Ignoring the flaws and missteps in the first season is foolish.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Also, Star Trek, from the beginning, has always crapped all over Vulcan's "logic". Spock in TOS served no purpose beyond having Kirk disagree with his logical assessments, and instead use human emotions to win the day, and everyone on the crew kept trying to kept Spock to embrace his emotional/human side. Same thing with Worf in TNG. Burnham's biggest mistake in the opening of Discovery is that she tired to use Vulcan logic to solve the situation instead of listening to her HUMAN captain who was ultimately right, because humanity hell yeah!

Except Burnham failed in using Vulcan Logic. Vulcan Logic was sacrifice the ship or blow the Klingon ship out of existence not cause hesitation. Hesitation is the worst possible thing that can be done during a crisis.

Its mentioned that the Klingons have spent the last 100+ years locked in their own civil war, and have only sent out a few raiding parties in that time. Not to mention, the Klingon Empire was, at the time, located at the far end of Federation space, in a very remote area compared to the Federation's core systems. They are basically on the other side of the U.S. during the wagon train days while the Federation was the East Coast. There was little in the way of contact by either side, and the Klingons weren't considered "close" to the Federation.

It is not quite a civil war since it is a bunch of Klingon Houses fighting each other to gain supremacy. It would be more similar to before the Qin Dynasty in China or Feudal Japan where there were constant wars to create a nation rather than the American Civil War.
    redvenge wrote: »
    Starfleet's "final solution" to the Federation-Klingon War is to... blow up Qo'nos, the cradle of Klingon culture, history and art...
    It is pretty well established in Trek that the loss of a species homeworld results in the near instant death/extinction of their species/government. This happened with the T'Kon, the Mudd Andorid's "makers", the Romulans in STO and the upcoming Picard show, and in the Mirror Universe with the Mirror Klingons. It's also been implied to be the future of the Federation should Earth ever be destroyed. It's a fairly established Trek trope that loss of the homeworld = your species is dead/gives up.

Romulans have done quite well in STO. Romulans still have the Romulan Star Empire. We will have to wait and see how Romulans are doing in the Picard show. So for Romulans in STO, the loss of the homeworld ≠your species is dead/gives up. In Asimov's Robot series, the loss of Earth caused a massive exodus so a huge galactic empire could be created.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    One of these days this thread will get past episode 1...one of these days....
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    One of these days this thread will get past episode 1...one of these days....

Just skip Season 1 and you will get past episode 1.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm one thing I don't remember seeing people discuss, though it may have gotten lost in the random noise, is Lt. Nhan.

How is she significant? Well, she's a BARZAN... We really don't know a lot about Barzanian history or diplomatic relations. The only other time a Barzan has been seen in Star Trek it was a government official negotiating a sale of access rights to a wormhole the Barzan had located.

We do know several things. 1: TNG was NOT first contact. When did that race make first contact with the Federation?

2: the Barzan HW is a barren dust ball with few natural resources. It's so hostile that Barzan need to breathe chemicals that to most humanoids would be toxic.

3: they have minimal spacecraft. This is seemingly not due to their tech being bad, but due to not having the materials needed to build good space ships.

On the one hand, it seems as though a culture like this would enthusiastically embrace becoming part of the Federation. Though, on the other hand, it does make one wonder why they were selling access to a wormhole later.

Oh and another thing sure to enrage certain people.... One of the people makes a reference to someone being "Part-Caitian". :D Like the "cat-girls" yes. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Pretty good episode. Enjoying Jet Reno and her back and forth with Stamets.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    it's also the wrong word...you're thinking of 'm.asochist'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Last episode was pretty cool. Maybe a bit densely packed.

The Universal Translator going haywire was a pretty interesting thing to do.

Also nice knowing that David Bowie still isn't forgotten in the 23rd century, just as Beethoven or Shakespeare aren't in the 24th.

The only thing I didn't connect quite right was the Burnham/Saru "farewell" scene. I think it didn't feel as earned, even though realistically these people have been working together for almost a decade by now, we haven't actually seen enough of this work together, and I still remember their conflict in the first season.
    The scene on the bridge with everyone standing up for Saru however was great, I immediately was reminded of how the crew worked together in the last season to take out the Emperor's ship, under Saru's leadership.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I found all this touchy feely stuff with Michael and Saru disturbing, mostly because it doesn't feel right when i watch it. I mean when you watch someone acting a scene out like that, there has to be a certain connection to the character, but it doesn't really fit with Michael's personality and Saru has never shown any real weakness in his character before and to suddenly lose it like that? Saru has always been very dignified in his actions so trying to connect with his moment isn't really working for me either.

the UT failure was an interesting one and one that doesn't make much sense. LT Detmer is from Germany and yet she is speaking in Arabic instead of German. Why would Michael or Pike be speaking in Klingon for? None of that made any sense if they aren't using their own native tounges.

I found that Reno and Stamets thing rather entertaining. i wonder what would happen when it boils over? xD
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    who says they WEREN'T speaking their native languages and the malfunctioning UT just put them out as random language?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    who says they WEREN'T speaking their native languages and the malfunctioning UT just put them out as random language?​​

What, So they were born on earth to parents who spoke english or german and their children by default speak Klingon or Arabic instead of English and German like their parents speak it?

How much sense does that make if those kids grow up speaking in languages as their first and primary language and no one understands a word they are saying? I doubt Earth is filled full of UTs.
  • Options
    What, So they were born on earth to parents who spoke english or german and their children by default speak Klingon or Arabic instead of English and German like their parents speak it?

How much sense does that make if those kids grow up speaking in languages as their first and primary language and no one understands a word they are saying? I doubt Earth is filled full of UTs.
    No, he's saying that while Detmer is speaking German the UT is auto-translating it into Arabic. Why? because it's malfunctioning.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

No, he's saying that while Detmer is speaking German the UT is auto-translating it into Arabic. Why? because it's malfunctioning.

Why doesn't he/she just say that instead of leaving it open to interpritation?
    I swear sometimes i think it's a good idea keeping off these forums with things like this...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    i DID say that - that's how universal translators work; you speak the language you were raised on, and the recipient's UT translates it to something THEY can understand, and vice-versa, like that one voyager or TNG episode where an american thought everyone was speaking english to him, and a german guy thought everyone was speaking deutsch - unless it's malfunctioning like in the latest disco episode​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Also enjoyed how Pike told Number One to remove the holographic communication from the Enterprise. Now we know why we never saw them before. Glad to see some of the (IMO) weirder/un-necessary "enhancements" from Season 1 are being undone.

It explains why we never saw it on TOS, but not TNG or Voyager. DS9 could be explained by the fact that they were using Cardassian technology. The holographic communication problem seems to be a problem with only the Enterprise and not other ships in the fleet.

Advanced holographic communication has always been easy to do since it just requires mentioning that they are receiving a holographic communication or a prop on the ground to act as the holoprojector. Standard holographic communication is more difficult due to creating the flicker like the "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" scene from Star Wars.

• Options
    one idea i heard somewhere is that they decided that using holo-tech to make better computer screens was more efficient... or something.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    one idea i heard somewhere is that they decided that using holo-tech to make better computer screens was more efficient... or something.

Some of the viewscreens from previous series are holographic. Voyager and Enterprise-E used holographic technology for their viewscreens while Cardassians used similar technology, but they were projected onto a fixed frame instead of wherever they want. The Borg had the most advanced holographic viewscreens since it seemed like the viewscreen could appear anywhere like every other hologram we see in TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

Discovery makes holographic technology too prevalent since it seems like everyone has it. Burnham used it as a mirror while it required the Doctor in Voyager to get 29th Century technology to be able to leave Sickbay or the Holodeck. So a 23rd Century Starfleet Officer has a personal holoprojector in her room while a 24th Century ship only has holoprojectors in Sickbay and the Holodeck.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Discovery makes holographic technology too prevalent since it seems like everyone has it. Burnham used it as a mirror while it required the Doctor in Voyager to get 29th Century technology to be able to leave Sickbay or the Holodeck. So a 23rd Century Starfleet Officer has a personal holoprojector in her room while a 24th Century ship only has holoprojectors in Sickbay and the Holodeck.
    This really isn't a valid comaprison becuase all of the holograms we have seen in Disco aren't solid.

TNG, DS9, and VOY era holograms do have the ability to be solid, and have collision, suggesting a far greater advancement of the tech then in Discovery.

How is it not a valid comparison? Discovery had non-solid holoprojectors everywhere while TNG, DS9, and Voyager only had solid holoprojectors in one sickbay and the Holodeck. The only non-solid holoprojectors in the 24th Century was in DS9 with the holo-communicator. So it should be even easier to let the Doctor explore Voyager with 23rd Century technology. Have solid holoprojectors for Sickbay and the Holodeck and non-solid holoprojectors for everywhere else. The Doctor would be able to visit every location in Voyager and talk to everyone on Voyager, but he would be intangible when not in Sickbay or the Holodeck.

Solid holoprojectors require a forcefield generator so it would be a luxury item compared to non-solid holoprojectors. So there is good reason why solid holoprojectors would be limited to sickbay and the holodeck, but there is no good reason why Starfleet forgot that non-solid holoprojectors existed for a century. Especially when non-solid holoprojectors were so common that Burnham had one in her quarters in the 23rd Century.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Strategema
    This really isn't a valid comaprison becuase all of the holograms we have seen in Disco aren't solid.

TNG, DS9, and VOY era holograms do have the ability to be solid, and have collision, suggesting a far greater advancement of the tech then in Discovery.

How is it not a valid comparison? Discovery had non-solid holoprojectors everywhere while TNG, DS9, and Voyager only had solid holoprojectors in one sickbay and the Holodeck. The only non-solid holoprojectors in the 24th Century was in DS9 with the holo-communicator. So it should be even easier to let the Doctor explore Voyager with 23rd Century technology. Have solid holoprojectors for Sickbay and the Holodeck and non-solid holoprojectors for everywhere else. The Doctor would be able to visit every location in Voyager and talk to everyone on Voyager, but he would be intangible when not in Sickbay or the Holodeck.

Solid holoprojectors require a forcefield generator so it would be a luxury item compared to non-solid holoprojectors. So there is good reason why solid holoprojectors would be limited to sickbay and the holodeck, but there is no good reason why Starfleet forgot that non-solid holoprojectors existed for a century. Especially when non-solid holoprojectors were so common that Burnham had one in her quarters in the 23rd Century.
    The doctor is more than a projection he is a computer program containing a massive amount of medical knowledge as well as programs to analyse and treat paitents.
    the holograms in dis are just projections of real people and dont interact with the enviroment of the ship they project on no require any extra work carrying the programs that make up the doctor all they need to do is project a image.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
This discussion has been closed.