test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Holy Nerf to Plasmonic Leech Batman!!

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if they do that, they might as well just remove the whole 'shoot to gain stacks' part of the power gain and make it like the terran warp core; gain power over time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Thing just is, DrainX should not be killed outright.
    Uh... what? You know Leech isn't the only thing in game that uses the DrainX stat right?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Uh... what? You know Leech isn't the only thing in game that uses the DrainX stat right?

Leech is, however, the only console that can use DrainX to draw power for yourself.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Leech is, however, the only console that can use DrainX to draw power for yourself.
    And DrainX is called Drain, not PowerSelf or Boost.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    @mustrumridcully0 you just described what plasmonic leech is suppose to do. It uses drainx to transfer drained power to yourself.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Well given the new scaling of Plasmonic Leech I guess the [AMP] modifier is quite useless now. lol... I guess high EPS and Drain Expertise go out the window now.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

Energy siphon and the solanae 2nd deflector also have debuffs paired with buffs.

• Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    considering I have paid 1500 Zen to get the ship for my KDF toons and also got the LB Version for my 6 Federation toons and even respect the Feds after I got the console to optimize it, I am absolutely upset.
    If I get some respec tokkens then I won't mind that much. But as it is I think that Cryptic were taking Money and now are devaluating the item I got for it.
    Not for the first time btw: you bought T5 ships and then had to spend Money to upgrade them to T5U - and then reintroduced the same ships at T6...I fully understand that a Company must survive. But a greedy Company loses costumers.

as for "Balance" - BFAEW will still outperform BO, Engine to weapon will still be useless and other skills will still be unbalanced.
    One of my friends spent a week to get CrtDx3 Over beams - a week before the changes were announced. He had upgraded them to epic. Now BO won't autocrit and the value has gone down.

Some of These changes I agree with others are just too radical. I have 18 toons and tried to have 1-3 working builds for all of them. Now I have less time, just want to log in and have fun. But I'd have to redo/tweak all builds. And I don'T think I'll bother with that.
    I am getting better at playing World of tanks - my Money Input to games has shifted towards WOT. I have spent 500+ € on STO, but last time I spent Money was to get the T6 scimitar. I decided to never spend Money on this game again. Mostly I just do admirality System and the occasional Event or CCA / ISA.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    hugin1205 wrote: »
    considering I have paid 1500 Zen to get the ship for my KDF toons and also got the LB Version for my 6 Federation toons and even respect the Feds after I got the console to optimize it, I am absolutely upset.
    If I get some respec tokkens then I won't mind that much. But as it is I think that Cryptic were taking Money and now are devaluating the item I got for it.
    Not for the first time btw: you bought T5 ships and then had to spend Money to upgrade them to T5U - and then reintroduced the same ships at T6...I fully understand that a Company must survive. But a greedy Company loses costumers.

as for "Balance" - BFAEW will still outperform BO, Engine to weapon will still be useless and other skills will still be unbalanced.
    One of my friends spent a week to get CrtDx3 Over beams - a week before the changes were announced. He had upgraded them to epic. Now BO won't autocrit and the value has gone down.

Some of These changes I agree with others are just too radical. I have 18 toons and tried to have 1-3 working builds for all of them. Now I have less time, just want to log in and have fun. But I'd have to redo/tweak all builds. And I don'T think I'll bother with that.
    I am getting better at playing World of tanks - my Money Input to games has shifted towards WOT. I have spent 500+ € on STO, but last time I spent Money was to get the T6 scimitar. I decided to never spend Money on this game again. Mostly I just do admirality System and the occasional Event or CCA / ISA.

Okay so what you are saying that having a game where things are MORE balanced instead of what we have now is bad because 1) your precious build is affected by it and 2) because it still isn't perfectly balanced. K. WTF?!?

Can't speak for him, but it's perfectly clear to me. :)

1) I don't care about balance. To put it bluntly: nobody helped me defray the hundreds of dollars in cost to get my gear to where it is today, so I don't feel I owe anyone a free 'balance pass' at my expense.

2) Even this so-called 'balance pass' is a failure; it's just a huge, across-the-board nerf, with a few token buffs, here and there. 'Back to square 1,' as someone called it.

A balance pass would have had my Engineer come out doing as good as my Rom Tact. But this is just a BS spite-nerf.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Okay so what you are saying that having a game where things are MORE balanced instead of what we have now is bad because 1) your precious build is affected by it and 2) because it still isn't perfectly balanced. K. WTF?!?

1) I don't care about balance. To put it bluntly: nobody helped me defray the hundreds of dollars in cost to get my gear to where it is today, so I don't feel I owe anyone a free 'balance pass' at my expense.

2) Even this so-called 'balance pass' is a failure; it's just a huge, across-the-board nerf, with a few token buffs, here and there. 'Back to square 1,' as someone called it.

A balance pass would have had my Engineer come out doing as good as my Rom Tact. But this is just a BS spite-nerf.

No a balance pass will have your engineer do closer to what your rom tact does. And with the changes they made...it does work that way. That means despite what you wanna call it, it is ACTUALLY a balance pass. I think engineers could use more of a buff and tacts more of a nerf...but they are performing closer together. BO also works closer to BFAW now. Cannons is closer to beams. All in all, the changes are a good thing...but they need to go further. But they won't. Because people like you keep bitching at the devs when they make such sensible mild balance pass as this one. God help you if they ever grow a pair and do a REAL balance pass and do things like make stats from consoles not stack.

And as long as I have to pay for everything, dearly, I will keep bitching about all these nerfs. :) Can't make it any more clear than that.

And LOL @ 'sensible mild one.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    personally I don't care about all the changes; btw all my toons have the leech, and builds done around this console, I have also a drain build (polaron).
    My main concern is not the fact that I must adapt again all my builds to the changes, it is the cost of the upgrades. I agree to change everything but not at the current prices of all the upgrades: dil cost, ec cost.
    the cost of the upgrades is the reason why I play less at sto; too expensive, and I don't have the time to grind for the resources; and the reason why i'm going to delete 2 toons (after the refining of their dil).

the fun is NOT in the upgrade system. if Cryptic want to add more fun in this game, they should do something to modify this system.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    And as long as I have to pay for everything, dearly, I will keep bitching about all these nerfs. :) Can't make it any more clear than that.

We can tell. Every post you've made here is just you whining that your copy-and-paste build is broken. Your conduct makes my five year-old nephew look a like a college professor by comparison.

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    edited March 2017

However, don't believe for a moment that your feedback will particularly valuable to what is going to happen in the balance pass if it's just "it shouldn't happen". That it's going to happen is already set, otherwise Cryptic wouldn't have already released a blog and a few Tribble patches for it already.
    And of course, your first and the second point are completely unrelated and independent of each other.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vampeiyre wrote: »

We can tell. Every post you've made here is just you whining that your copy-and-paste build is broken. Your conduct makes my five year-old nephew look a like a college professor by comparison.

Copy-and-paste build?! LOL. Dd you just copy-and-paste that boilerplate comment from your usual bag of one-liners?! Cuz I didn't see anyone talk about a build, here. Did you?! Unless 'using the Leech' constituted as copy-and-paste.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

However, don't believe for a moment that your feedback will particularly valuable to what is going to happen in the balance pass if it's just "it shouldn't happen". That it's going to happen is already set, otherwise Cryptic wouldn't have already released a blog and a few Tribble patches for it already.

That's likely true. I *do* have influence over my wallet, though. So, while Bort may be the man with the power, to nerf as he sees fit, and ignore those who don't like his nerfs, 'this action will have consequences,' as they said in Life is Strange. As in: he won't be getting a dime from me any more.

Of course, your rather silly portrayal of my position as mere "it shouldn't happen", doesn't really impress me. I've always argued that it shouldn't happen because I paid good money to get my builds/toons to where they are today. Some there be that obviously don't care about money, and are probably so bored stiff with the game, that they'd welcome any change; along with a bit of "I'm such a good player, changes won't affect me much" grandstanding. Suffice to say, I'm not one of those people. I *do* care about money, especially mine, and having invested too much in the game to see it all reset, just to satisfy a few peeps who like to shake things up a little, thank you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

...you know just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you need to be discourteous. I disagree with some of these nerfs, but I don't go around telling the players who support them that they are nitwits.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Just because you paid for it does NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO **** ABOUT IT.

That's a pretty clear example of feedback from a customer. That's how that works. It's up to Cryptic to do what they want with the feedback. But the customer does have the right to complain about the service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

That's a pretty clear example of feedback from a customer. That's how that works. It's up to Cryptic to do what they want with the feedback. But the customer does have the right to complain about the service.

Absolutely! Not sure what coldnapalm is on, but the customer always has the right to complain. :) Seriously, that's too silly for words, even. And sometimes the 'feedback' (wrong term to begin with, as it falsely assumes it's incumbent upon the customer to supply some form of presumed-reasonable, well laid-out assessment, like a bug report) can be just as simple as "How's about no?!" Usually, the customer will also tell you why. Like, in my case, I don't feel like having my investment 'reset'.

Coldnapalm severely confuses 'the customer being right' with 'the customer having the right to complain.' In fact, right/wrong doesn't even play into it: the customer simply tells you want they want, or don't want. And, like you say, the company can then choose to either listen or not.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

As somebody who has worked in retail...no. You are flat out wrong in this. I had somebody complain that their veggitarian entree had no meat in it. You think they had a right to complain about that? You think that was customer feedback? How about the guy who complain that their sweet and sour pork had prok and he can't eat that because he is Jewish? Was he in the right? Was that a clear example of customer feedback? Should we have not served sweet and sour pork because some idiot can't read? The EULA tells you EXACTLY what you are getting when you pay for something in this game. After you read that, you have EVERY right to decide if you want to spend money or not...but if you do and they do what is in the EULA, you have no right to complain.

Again, you really managed to confuse yourself. Just because the EULA gives a company the legal right to do something, doesn't mean the customer has to like it and/or can't complain about it. All the former means, is that a company legally coverered themselves. After that, the customer is free to like, or not like, anything said company does, up to and including vociferating their strong opposition to certain announced plans.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Unless 'using the Leech' constituted as copy-and-paste.
    Yes, yes it did. :p

Seriously though, it was used in almost every kind of build. From a game development standpoint that's a giant red flag.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

Seriously though, it was used in almost every kind of build. From a game development standpoint that's a giant red flag.

Nah. :) Like I said earlier, that's like saying 'using gasoline' is a major red flag, as it's being used in almost every kind of car. Sometimes a component is essential, yes. Like, in this case, a console that 'fuels' your ship. But it's a huge mistake confusing 'essential' with 'overpowered.' See, another way of stating this, is simply saying all ships are vastly underpowered without the Leech.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Nah. :) Like I said earlier, that's like saying 'using gasoline' is a major red flag, as it's being used in almost every kind of car. Sometimes a component is essential, yes. Like, in this case, a console that 'fuels' your ship. But it's a huge mistake confusing 'essential' with 'overpowered.' See, another way of stating this, is simply saying all ships are vastly underpowered without the Leech.

Cars aren't computer games, however. The real world isn't balanced, we all know that.
    Video games however do not necessarily attempt to model anything real, as a Star Trek Online player should be intimately aware of.

The purpose of balance in a video game is to ensure that there are many, roughly equal useful options to achieve success, giving people a chance to experience different play styles.

---
    Of course, your rather silly portrayal of my position as mere "it shouldn't happen", doesn't really impress me. I've always argued that it shouldn't happen because I paid good money to get my builds/toons to where they are today.
    My point is: It shouldn't happen was already decided by the team as not being viable. It's not like they are unaware of how the cost of Plasmonic Leech or other "precious" items evolved. They already deemed it as not sufficiently relevant. You're not really giving them anything new to work with here, nothing they couldn't already forsee.
    That's likely true. I *do* have influence over my wallet, though. So, while Bort may be the man with the power, to nerf as he sees fit, and ignore those who don't like his nerfs, 'this action will have consequences,' as they said in Life is Strange. As in: he won't be getting a dime from me any more.
    Of course, that's what you can and should do.

But, I have to ask: Where you here before Delta Rising? I seem to remember you were, but I am not entirely certain. But if you were, you already did go through one big nerfing process already. Delta Rising nerfed all our gear to no longer be the best there was, and all our ships suddenly became obsolete. And I am certain you upgraded your gear and bought new ships.
    Sure, technically, your old stuff kept its value - but you're no longer fighting the level 50 enemies now anymore, are you? You're fighting level 60 antagonists, that have more hit points and more damage now, so the level 50 stuff doesn't actually help you as much as before anymore. You were nerfed, and yet you kept spending money.

A balance patch like this one is a bit like that - for the top gear (and power). For the bottom gear however, it's an upgrade to whatever came before.
    Imagine there were two versions of Plasmonic Leech. One grants a max +15 power bonus. you were smart or lucky or both and bought that. Someone else didn't know that, and bought the other Plasmonic Leech that grants only a +6 power bonus, for the same price.
    But now, the big balance patch comes. For you, it feels like you only get a +6 power bonus with your Leech. But for the other guy, it's basically like finally also having a +15 power bonus leech. He's finally equal, his so called "investment" finally paid off.

• Options
    nikephorus wrote: »

...you know just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you need to be discourteous. I disagree with some of these nerfs, but I don't go around telling the players who support them that they are nitwits.

I'm not discourteous to others based on simple differences of opinion. That statement of yours is a flawed comparison in itself. That individual is not expressing an opinion at all.

Preferring chocolate to strawberry is a difference of opinion. Stating that bananas are purple is fiction.

Complaining that you've been caught breaking a rule, and saying you should be allowed to continue breaking it because no one has noticed for years is a deflection and a fallacy, not a valid argument or opinion.

I'll apologize for calling out obnoxious idiots when idiots apologize for being obnoxiously stupid, not a moment before.

Additionally, this is a public forum. If one doesn't want to be dressed down for saying something foolish, one should think before one types.
  • Options

Copy-and-paste build?! LOL. Dd you just copy-and-paste that boilerplate comment from your usual bag of one-liners?! Cuz I didn't see anyone talk about a build, here. Did you?! Unless 'using the Leech' constituted as copy-and-paste.

Are you that traumatized by not getting your way that you've forgotten that you've been moaning for a dozen pages about no longer being able to copy-and-paste the "plasmonic leach and as many plasma exploders as you can fit in a ship and face roll" build? You may want to get out and get some air, or maybe sign on to Tribble and redirect all that effort from moaning into making a new build for yourself.

Kicking and screaming until your mommy buys you the toy you want may have worked as a child, but I think you'll find that's not a very effective method of getting what you want as an adult.
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »

I'm not discourteous to others based on simple differences of opinion. That statement of yours is a flawed comparison in itself. That individual is not expressing an opinion at all.

Preferring chocolate to strawberry is a difference of opinion. Stating that bananas are purple is fiction.

Complaining that you've been caught breaking a rule, and saying you should be allowed to continue breaking it because no one has noticed for years is a deflection and a fallacy, not a valid argument or opinion.

I'll apologize for calling out obnoxious idiots when idiots apologize for being obnoxiously stupid, not a moment before.

Additionally, this is a public forum. If one doesn't want to be dressed down for saying something foolish, one should think before one types.

Flawed based on what? Your own argument is askew. If you had followed his posts over the course of this thread you would clearly be able to interpret what his opinion is... and I think you know what it is, but you don't like it.

How exactly has he broken a rule? Equipment that has been in game for, in the case of plasmonic leech, years and has functioned essentially the same for said amount of time is not breaking a rule. Please tell me when something is released by cryptic in one of their lotto boxes and works really good are we suppose to avoid it because it might be breaking some unwritten rule? This is again a inaccurate assumption on your part.

So your last statement is basically that this is a public form so you will continue acting like a jerk just because. Another tough guy acting out over the internet? If that's how you get your jollies...

I can respect peoples opinions, even when they goes against my own, if they present a compelling argument, but posting that someone is dumb just because you think so, or because you believe they are cheating by using a console that has been in the game for years, isn't a very compelling argument.
    Tza0PEl.png