test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Holy Nerf to Plasmonic Leech Batman!!

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    well, they buffed leech a (very) small amount - it now stacks 10 times instead of 8 and additionally stacks with MACO Shield's Power Conduit Link once again​​

Wait, wut?! I thought it didn't stack with MACO Shield's Power Conduit Link at all?! Very confused now. So they buffed the nerf? or just broke the nerf? LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    no, they deliberately made it stack with PCL again - after having removed that ability around the time LoR was released
    [*] The Plasmonic Leech now stacks up to 10 times
    [*] The Plasmonic Leech self-buff now stacks with the Power Conduit Link proc found on the M.A.C.O. Resilient Shield Array and Adapted K.H.G. Resilient Shield Array
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    no, they deliberately made it stack with PCL again - after having removed that ability around the time LoR was released
    [*] The Plasmonic Leech self-buff now stacks with the Power Conduit Link proc found on the M.A.C.O. Resilient Shield Array and Adapted K.H.G. Resilient Shield Array
    ​​

Thanks for the info!

But what is this I see here?! Adapted K.H.G. Resilient Shield Array gets the PCL, and not the Adapted MACO? (I mean, the latter never had it to begin with, but why would the Adapted KDF variant get it?)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ​​

So now it stacks again and up to 10? so +30 power. Use to stack up to 8 times? assuming +3 per stack... with max drain skill with no consoles or other equip that gives drain skill... that would be +2 per stack. Would be nice if they stack with borg shields again...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    the power buff on leech doesn't scale with DrainX anymore...that's sort of the whole reason this thread exists

also, the adapted MACO shields get it because it's the KDF version of MACO (which, until the adapted sets were created, klingons couldn't get)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    so the questions are

Q : Is the leech useless now

Q : Any reason at all to keep it slotted
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    I kinda doubt the lowest tiers of damage dealers were stacking Embassy consoles :smirk:. They won't feel that pinch at all.

You're right, but from what I've heard last night, it looks to be pretty severe.
    Everything that follows is supposedly getting hit;

Temporal+Strat+Intel spec
    OSS
    Torp abilities
    Leech
    Drains
    Crowd Control Holds
    Subsystem power stacking via leetch/supremacy/aux2batt/Siphon
    Subsystem weapon damage bonus
    Go Down Fighting/Alpha and Traits involving their use
    Embassy consoles
    Reseach Console
    Fire at Will
    Feedback pulse
    Weapons Haste

This is not even a comprehensive list, its only what I heard last night.

There's going to be a lot of angry space barbies running around when this goes live. If DPS'er are mad, well, what can I say, that anger is probably misplaced. They'll still be able to complete queues in relatively the same amount of time with a little juggling of gear.

While you or I may think everything on that list is an appropriate target (I honestly do), don't underestimate how many bad players rely on at least 1 or 2 of those gimmicks to get by.

I think it's going to turn off a lot newer/casual players imho.
    I'll enjoy the change but they won't.
    They'll leave.

I can't see how this balance pass is going to make things magically more fun for the player in general. I just don't see it.
    Players will still get afk'd.
    Content will still be completed in minutes when there's better players on the team.
    Content will still fail (and more often) for PUGs in general.
    Content will suddenly become 20% more difficult for the general population across the board - if not more.

So I can't predict the future I might be wrong. But you can bet money on seeing a forum *&^%storm the likes we haven't seen since DR. Though not as severe since half the population left after DR.

Better Brace for Impact.
    (Not that we Hotshot types care about the common player having a good time ;) )

this all seems to be prep work for pushing pvp on consoles..​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    See, here's the thing. The human brain -- especially that of a game Dev -- is simply prone to misinterpreting statistical data. A Dev sees something being used by nearly everyone, and then concludes it must therefore be OP. Wrong! Why, you ask? Several reasons. Allow me to illustrate the simplest one first (caveat: here cometh an Internet car analogy).

1) Saying Leech is overpowered, is like saying gasoline is OP, because, OMG, nearly ever car build uses it! So, that's the first mistake: confusing *vital* with OP. Gasoline is as vital to a car as DrainX-boosted power levels are to a ship. And yes, everyone wants power, and nearly everyone uses the Leech. And, no, the latter is not therefore OP.

2) Humans always seek the optimum. Therefore, it's a fallacy to think that if you remove popular item X, that you have then somehow magically removed the game's alleged OP-ness. Why, you ask? Because there's always the next new meta. Clever heads will simply figure out again what works best together, and that will be the new 'OP-ness' then from there on in. And the Dev, even more frustrated now, will restart his destructive cycle anew.

And that's why metrics are evil: they are always showing you what you 'think' is OP-ness, but which really isn't.

3) Every game needs items which are better/more pupular than others. If it weren't so -- and a certain Dev is merrily on his way to 'ground-zero' *everything* -- then you'll have nothing left to strive for. Some there be that will try and sell this condition as a good thing, allowing for more 'variety' and all that. Wrong! Why, you ask? Because if playstyle X is as good as playstyle Y, then -- unless I already possess everything needed for Y, I won't go out of my way to try and obtain/buy the equipment for Y. It will not result in ppl suddenly swapping out playstyles like crazy. Rather, it will just lead to stagnation. Let's take DrainX as an example. It used to be great for many purposes, so ppl were willing to invest (and often heavily) in getting the gear required to make good use of it. Or partgens. But now, after the Desolation of Bort, why would they? What would be the incentive? If everything is being made as 'meh' as everything else, only the Elite will still have fun, still doing several hundred K somehow. The rest will just be severely underperforming, not have fun, and have no viable strive-path left to pursue, as everything they can buy will now have a 'Made in Shi Tpa Town' label on it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    See, here's the thing. The human brain -- especially that of a game Dev -- is simply prone to misinterpreting statistical data. A Dev sees something being used by nearly everyone, and then concludes it must therefore be OP. Wrong! Why, you ask? Several reasons. Allow me to illustrate the simplest one first (caveat: here cometh an Internet car analogy).

1) Saying Leech is overpowered, is like saying gasoline is OP, because, OMG, nearly ever car build uses it!
    [...]

That is neither true (Nissan and Tesla would like to have a word with you) nor a fitting analgoy. Plasmonic Leech was always so dumbly overpowered when compared to the rest of the game that after this extremely major nerf it is STILL close to being overpowered!

Wasn't OP at all. Leech was initially made for KDF, to overcome their innate BoP power shortage. It was, so to speak, in acknowledgment to KDF (and later Rom) *needing* the extra power.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    so the questions are

I agree with @coldnapalm and keep the thing slotted. There simply aren't that many alternatives for the power you get despite the nerf.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    so the questions are

I agree with @coldnapalm and keep the thing slotted. There simply aren't that many alternatives for the power you get despite the nerf.

Well...actually, energy siphon is back to 30 seconds again...which makes for a decent enough replacement for it. That said, thew new power consoles gives you 10 to one system. This one gives you 7.5 to all of them. That is still in the really good range for me. Like try and find 10 better ones to use instead and you will be hard pressed good. On tribble, I ended up keeping it after all and dropped a console that costs 10 times as much as PL does now...because power is important...even with siphon to help. And espcially since I have a lot of sci powers that need aux. Kinda hard to live on 15 shield and engine....

Cool thx 4 info about energy siphon. Had already ruled it out but now see it back on my rom. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    Of all the stuff going on, all I can really think of, with so much horror happening, others hoping for the best, a few happy with it, is "neat."
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    So how does Drain Expertise affect Plasmonic Leech in Tribble?
  • Options
    it doesn't​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    All of this is like an Ouroboros.

Why do I need the Leech? Because I need tons of power. Why do I needs tons of power? Because I want to up my DPS to stratospheric heights. Why do I need my DPS up at stratospheric heights? Because I want to ROLF-stomp the content so I can finish it, in effect, right after it starts. [And to see my name up in lights, too].

I love this quote from 'Forbidden Planet'

'Doc Ostrow: The total potential here must be nothing less than astronomical.
    Dr. Edward Morbius: Nothing less. The number 10 raised almost literally to the power of infinity.'

So we can keep eating our tails, or chasing it, or continue to run on the hamster wheel, or whatever hyperbole you want.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Ok so easy way to increase power levels would be to use leech and borg shields together... those shields are bleeh these days thou so your giving up something for it...
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Ok so easy way to increase power levels would be to use leech and borg shields together... those shields are bleeh these days thou so your giving up something for it...

No easy way is to run PL and energy siphon. Yeah you will have like a 7-9 second downtime...but that isn't THAT bad since the energy takes about 2-3 seconds to drain out too...so it's more like 4-7 seconds.

Do you even need shields when you pretty much hull tank in any situation these days? The Shields are place and forget...where as you need to take up a Sci slot that is better used for something else. (If your so worried you can tank a extra shield or hull heal)
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Glad to hear this come out of the mouth of someone not me. :) Because I was beginning to think I was the only one. Seems all I'm hearing is, "We, the Elite, talked it over, and we're very happy with it!" Well, I'm not (neither part of the Elite, nor happy with it). A moderate nerf to Leech would have been acceptable; even a bigger one: capping it at +6, however, was absurd as it is; but to then think "Hmm, what more could ppl possibly be using to get their power levels back up? Ooo, Energy Siphon! Let me quickly go and kill that too!", that's just downright vindictive.

Meanwhile, the Elite is talking about how the rest of us should just go back to the 10% rule. Yeah, laugh it up, folks. But soon enough, when the full extent of Bort's desolation has become apparent to everyone, the vast majority of the playerbase will be stuck with having to overcome some very spiteful nerfs; and all because a certain someone didn't get his way last year.

There are a lot of good changes, but there are also nerfs that came out of nowhere.

1) No one ever complained about the drain aspect of subsystem targeting and that got knocked down hard in favor of the disable aspect.
    2) Plasmonic leech didn't need a complete lack of scaling for the buff. A bit extreme, but changing it +1 plus 1 every 500 drain skill (It's +1 every 100 right now) would have scaled it back enough that most players would have been hit hard, because the DPS centric folk wouldn't have given up their tac slots for more drain or their precious Iconian set, while drain science boats would still get a decent benefit. Not a fan of the debuff change either. Frankly, there is no way I can be 100% sure its performance now is the same as it used to be because of whatever bug was found there. I half suspect there was some nerf added there too.

FYI - I tested. Siphon was left alone. I still get my 30sec cooldown with my 3 deflector doffs. Still now cool how the Aux scaling change last time reduced the up time by 3-4 seconds, but that's old news.

• Options
    lucho80 wrote: »
    2) Plasmonic leech didn't need a complete lack of scaling for the buff. A bit extreme, but changing it +1 plus 1 every 500 drain skill (It's +1 every 100 right now) would have scaled it back enough that most players would have been hit hard, because the DPS centric folk wouldn't have given up their tac slots for more drain or their precious Iconian set, while drain science boats would still get a decent benefit.

I dunno. 1 power per every 500 seems a might extreme too. One every 200 would already constitute a 100% nerf (which, in game mechanics, boils down to 50%).

Thing just is, DrainX should not be killed outright. Even if its power drain scales less, that would still be acceptable. But blanketly rendering all DrainX gear 100% ineffective for surplus drain, that's just unpalatable.
    FYI - I tested. Siphon was left alone. I still get my 30sec cooldown with my 3 deflector doffs. Still now cool how the Aux scaling change last time reduced the up time by 3-4 seconds, but that's old news.

I read somewhere it was on a 45 sec cd first, but that brought it back to 30 again. Who knows, maybe someone out there listens, after all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    I personally feel both Plasmonic Leech & the Embassy fleet plasma explosive consoles should be removed from the game. Any in existence should be made utterly ineffective upon the change. Making them vendor trash. This will end the balance sqabbles and allow all to begin from square 1.

This is in response to simply nerfing something to 95% ineffectiveness - Just remove them entirely - Problem solved.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Or, make the affect of plasmonic leech a buff and make it cleansible by enemies. Then also make it stack to a max of 3 or so buffs. then it can only do 6-18 all energy systems based on how far you stack drain.
  • Options
    it already IS a buff that's strippable...the two problems, though, are NPC enemies have little to no buff-stripping capability, and even if they did, the stacks would all replenish as soon as the next volley hits​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    What if it had a 5-15 second timer after being stripped before being reapplied or something similar?

In face the timer could be for each stack. 5 second timer to reapply per stack removed.

Then start making the NPC's more intelligent and stop basing them on overpowered attacks and massive HP pools... That might solve alot of the problem. If not all of it. They can be made more difficult if they fight well.