test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AFKers in Mirror Invasion

Comments

• Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    After reading all the pro AFK posts, I think I'm going to start going into Advanced queues and doing the minimum required to get the most rewards. That seems to be what they're saying one should do.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    banshir wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Courtesy? For not helping you maybe get a couple of extra marks? Please, the difference in reward between a good or bad performance are so negligible that it is laughable.

And anyway if marks are why you are there, well you are just dumb. There are plenty of better places to get the marks you need.

Maybe. But I couldn't care less about whether I get 5 marks more or less. What I do care about is whether I spend a quarter of an hour of my spare time having fun doing the mission itself or whether it is useless because there are two or three guys just like you. Preferrably even being there just to click "need" on every drop.

Heh. I had a guy on my team who did just that. He spent the entire time cloaked and was always the first to click need on loot drops. He also didn't lift a finger to help when the dreadnought arrived.

Ok, this one I will agree is a leacher. If they don't help at the dreadnought stage even I would report them.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Borg disco is time gated, gateway to grethor is time gated, there are a few queues that are time gated [not all, but a few], and yet people still tend to try to do only just enough to avoid the afk penalty, whiel the rest of the time they sit doing nothing, or being a pest!
    But there are key differences to those missions that makes them the province of specific, annoying pests who do it, rather than broad swaths of the normally non-AFK public:
    1. Those particularly queues have those objectives as required conditions, so it's not simply a clock to wait out.
    2. Those events are not mandatory events. You aren't required to attend them. The same things can be had elsewhere, at any time.
    3. The troop transports from the starbase are moving towards the planet!

Okay 1 I will grant you.

2...since when is MI MANDATORY?!? Do you get killed if you don't play? Is there a man with a gun to your head? It is ALL OPTIONAL. You can get all the rewards sans some stupid silly item that isn't all that great elsewhere.

And yes they do...until they hit a rad gate. If you do nothing, no transport will make it to the planet (well a few might if you spawn lucky).

Do I get killed for not playing the mission? No of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

But can I do the event project without it? No. So yes it is mandatory. As mandatory as something in a video game can be.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I don't understand why you simply can't finish earlier, as in if people finish all portals and have 5 minutes to go, why not simply advance the mission then and keep the 15 minute auto-advance in case the team does not close all portals. If it's for metrics, people will play this event over and over again anyway, five minutes to spare or not because they want the rewards.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't understand why you simply can't finish earlier, as in if people finish all portals and have 5 minutes to go, why not simply advance the mission then and keep the 15 minute auto-advance in case the team does not close all portals. If it's for metrics, people will play this event over and over again anyway, five minutes to spare or not because they want the rewards.​​

The portals are supposed to keep spawning, but it still hasn't been fixed, even if they had time to fix it.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I had one tonight, in a scimitar no less, that had me on auto follow the entire mission. They were either botting, or were at their keyboard firing off abilities at random to keep from getting the penalty. One is against the EULA as far as I know, and the other defeats the purpose of being afk.

Either way, annoying. I had to push my little Fleet Ambassador hard on that run, come on people, its an antique!
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Well, the ones who do sod-all are inexcusable...but you've got to give some people a chance. Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm always happy to help! I remember there being some nasty pieces of work in STF's, who just verbally abused me for nothing be at their same level...but I was levelling! I needed the Marks and Neural Processors to get better gear, so I didn't have a choice but to play the top games. Coasters...vilify them, but everyone else, give them a break.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The portals are supposed to keep spawning, but it still hasn't been fixed, even if they had time to fix it.

I didn't know that, I honestly thought there's a set number of portals (close to thirty) that spawn and once they're gone it's supposed to end pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    banshir wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Courtesy? For not helping you maybe get a couple of extra marks? Please, the difference in reward between a good or bad performance are so negligible that it is laughable.

And anyway if marks are why you are there, well you are just dumb. There are plenty of better places to get the marks you need.

Maybe. But I couldn't care less about whether I get 5 marks more or less. What I do care about is whether I spend a quarter of an hour of my spare time having fun doing the mission itself or whether it is useless because there are two or three guys just like you. Preferrably even being there just to click "need" on every drop.

Heh. I had a guy on my team who did just that. He spent the entire time cloaked and was always the first to click need on loot drops. He also didn't lift a finger to help when the dreadnought arrived.

Ok, this one I will agree is a leacher. If they don't help at the dreadnought stage even I would report them.

Yes. Kill the dreadnought or GTFO.

On the other hand, often the portal-closing brigade doesn't help with the dreadnought either, because they're too busy closing portals.
  • Options
    jon1764jon1764 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    What irks me is that people are actually justifying this behaviour, and after how many years Cryptic has done NOTHING about it. I guess they don't really care once they've gotten your money.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    And because you mentioned that you can just afk the entire first phase now we will be called bad little boys and girls who are exploiters and thieves and the forums shall burn

If thats what it takes to make special-event content FUN again, so be it. I'll bring the hot dogs.

though I don't afk myself cos its boreinggggg I do agree the mission needs a good overhaul, override the timer when the first section is cleared or else lower the timer for the first section would be a good start.
    as the mission stands I cant blame players going afk, especially as it seems to make little difference in the end.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    jon1764 wrote: »
    What irks me is that people are actually justifying this behaviour, and after how many years Cryptic has done NOTHING about it. I guess they don't really care once they've gotten your money.

Oh I agree, Mirror Universe Incursions seem to bring out the worst in peeps.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I love the battle against the dreadnought. It is fun as heck. I dont understand why people would just AFK and dont take part on it.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    Borg disco is time gated, gateway to grethor is time gated, there are a few queues that are time gated [not all, but a few], and yet people still tend to try to do only just enough to avoid the afk penalty, whiel the rest of the time they sit doing nothing, or being a pest!
    But there are key differences to those missions that makes them the province of specific, annoying pests who do it, rather than broad swaths of the normally non-AFK public:
    1. Those particularly queues have those objectives as required conditions, so it's not simply a clock to wait out.
    2. Those events are not mandatory events. You aren't required to attend them. The same things can be had elsewhere, at any time.

Okay 1 I will grant you.

2...since when is MI MANDATORY?!? Do you get killed if you don't play? Is there a man with a gun to your head? It is ALL OPTIONAL. You can get all the rewards sans some stupid silly item that isn't all that great elsewhere.

And yes they do...until they hit a rad gate. If you do nothing, no transport will make it to the planet (well a few might if you spawn lucky).

Do I get killed for not playing the mission? No of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

But can I do the event project without it? No. So yes it is mandatory. As mandatory as something in a video game can be.

That is the thing...the whole damn event is optional. That is what you folks seems to be failing at. The reason you all keep doing it anyways is because there is a giant dil reward at the end that you can get for less effort then normal because you can AFK. If they removed the time gate, like you all keep saying you want, I bet you all would STILL afk because it's not about being "efficent" but about being lazy and getting the most reward with the least amount of effort. But here is the thing...this is a GAME. The effort you put in should be effort that results in FUN. If the effort you put ISN'T fun, you seriously are doing this whole playing a game thing WRONG. What MI needs is an AFK system that isn't just about damage.

Who mentioned the dil? I'm in it for the gun.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Okay 1 I will grant you.

That is the thing...the whole damn event is optional. That is what you folks seems to be failing at. The reason you all keep doing it anyways is because there is a giant dil reward at the end that you can get for less effort then normal because you can AFK. If they removed the time gate, like you all keep saying you want, I bet you all would STILL afk because it's not about being "efficent" but about being lazy and getting the most reward with the least amount of effort. But here is the thing...this is a GAME. The effort you put in should be effort that results in FUN. If the effort you put ISN'T fun, you seriously are doing this whole playing a game thing WRONG. What MI needs is an AFK system that isn't just about damage.

Who mentioned the dil? I'm in it for the gun.

Right...and I have a bridge in brooklyn I have to sell you.

The only reason to want this PoS item is because you have a mental issue...like OCD...or you are lying. Neither of which is really an issue with the game...and more an issue with you.

Or I just want the item. Just cause it's not why you are doing the event, don't assume that everyone else agrees on that. I don't need the dil or the marks. I already have an over abundance of both.

Also if I never afk in other queues, but constantly in this one, gotta think the mission might be the problem.

Also, side note. I haven't been anything but respectful in my side of this debate. I would prefer you didn't resort to insults or accusations to try and score points. It doesn't help you.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    wasn't mirror, but a Borg incursion. A scimitar was just sitting cloaked until the last Cube went up and the command ship spawned right on top of him...and since he/she was totally unprepared, insta-death
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I don't understand the point of AFK in some events. We have players that spend a lot of time and money in this game to get top everything. Then they enter an PVE with all this top gear and just sit around and then leave at the end?
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    You think that's bad the AFKers are increasing in number just did a Mirror Advanced had 1 leaver 3 AFKers until the last phase I had to solo and keep.the base alive it fell to 60%... and to make it all worse I soloed stadi caused it to flee twice and closed the two portals it was at and then killed it before the 3 AFKers could close 1 portal....that's just BS
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Just done a normal and had some dude go AFK in the dreadnought stage ffs.

What an TRIBBLE.

Luckily I managed to solo the dread whilst the team closed the portals but still...come on guys!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User

Despite each and every one of those missions having different objectives than the MI, their objectives are still time gated, and cannot be advanced any faster no matter what.

So, it is really no different than the MI!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    Sorry if this has been asked, but exactly HOW does this alleged AFK penalty work? I'm asking because last night we had this clown who literally didn't fire a single shot. As soon as the queue started, he sped away. He didn't even help with the dreadnought phase. If I understood correctly, if the system doesn't see you dishing out x amount of damage, you get kicked or penalized or whatever. So again, how exactly does it work?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it doesn't work in mirror invasion because it was never added there; being a limited-time event, cryptic didn't see the need - apparently, there is a need now, however​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.