Install Arc
Options

Emergency Maintenance

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Streakfury wrote: »
    One sentence: they'd still need to somehow get masses of users on Tribble to test the load for masses of users.

yes cool good come back... but if you released it to tribble first it would crash that then we would not get this TRIBBLE every week :)

lol
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    there could have been , many things that have gone wrong with the server, ill wait for the Report on it but with higher numbers to crunch expect any machine to breakdown at least Cryptic has always been open with us on the Breakdowns, and has always been on the ball when it comes to repairs, so i think the word should be patience.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    bugs wrote: »
    really they need to just release them in the middle of the night
    so that the over load will not be as bad

The middle of the night for who, though? Don't forget, "the middle of the night" for someone in one timezone could be the middle of the day for someone else.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    when is it due back up GMT time
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Starmutt wrote: »
    Better yet :D ...

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TNG/Computercore.jpg

(Star Trek Computer Core for those who are wondering what it is :p )

Nah, actually that's a 403 Forbidden error. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Emergency Maintenance killed my inner child.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    in about 20 minutes
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    njsjedi wrote: »
    yes cool good come back... but if you released it to tribble first it would crash that then we would not get this TRIBBLE every week :)

lol

But I suppose in that case, people would complain that they can't play it on Tribble either, because that server would just crash. I don't think it'd matter to be honest. Whichever server they put it on, it would simply crash and people would be a bit upset about it. They just need to make sure that wherever they release a new mission, that server can handle the load.

I hope they're learning from these last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    what 9.50pm gmt
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You guys need to call it "standard Saturday afternoon downtime" instead of emergency maintenance since you had the same thing occur last Saturday at about the same time..... :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The middle of the night for who, though? Don't forget, "the middle of the night" for someone in one timezone could be the middle of the day for someone else.

it should be midnight sunday PST as in eu that would be 8 or 9 in the morning and most people off to work
    people who want to stay up and play can... then we will not have server overlod as it would be 8 hours later till eu get home from work!.... (just a thought....):confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    kopi07 wrote: »
    It's not a crash it's a feature episode!
    Go enjoy the reality. The little aliens out there called humans. :)

it's like a contest, ya know to see how many of us can complete the FE before the crash, I got further into this one than I did last week. I should be able to complete the FE for next week by the time the EM kicks in!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Log back in in a few hours, this was to be expected, Cryptic has never really solved the problem with client overload (just put band-aids in place). While the root of the problem is that it runs not only this game (holodeck) but also tribble and another completely different game and who knows what else. It could also run there espresso machines in the lobby and the heating coil's in there office chairs.

FYI It will be longer than an hour, get the marshmallows out, you'll be here a while.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    RichardJ wrote: »
    How do you know they refuse to buy 'bigger' servers?

Easy they don't have a clue what they are talking about. the biggest server in the world and it's not gonna matter. This is a bigger problem then just buying more servers. They need to take the time and effort and understand usage, bandwith, power of servers they have and what they are doing (older servers can be fine if they are not doing as much for example, a log in server could be a lot older since all it does is validate a user name to a password and hand off to another server), my personal favorite as it is the largest part of my problems that i have to waste time fixing every day bad programmer's just writing quick and dirty code and a lot of other factors.

Unless someone has seen every line of code or run a ton of performance tests they don't know what is needed. they may spout a bunch of things that they have read in other places but if you picked them up and dropped them in a server room and told them fix it, they would have no clue where to start or what to do. Thats why they are yelling on forums from mom's basement or on here after getting out of their garbage job that they hate. A job that has nothing at all to do with working in or understanding a WAN environment in any way shape or form.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    But I suppose in that case, people would complain that they can't play it on Tribble either, because that server would just crash. I don't think it'd matter to be honest. Whichever server they put it on, it would simply crash and people would be a bit upset about it. They just need to make sure that wherever they release a new mission, that server can handle the load.

I hope they're learning from these last couple of weeks.

yep i agree 100% but if Tribble crashes you cant really moan?!?!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Erebozz86 wrote:
    Are you serious???

EDIT:
    Why don't you give away 100 Atari Tokens to all players for each hour of emergency maintenance?

Then maybe they will invest in better servers if it hurts their pockets.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    it should be midnight sunday PST as in eu that would be 8 or 9 in the morning and most people off to work
    people who want to stay up and play can... then we will not have server overlod as it would be 8 hours later till eu get home from work!.... (just a thought....):confused:

Yeah I guess it would be worth a shot trying different times to release it. Whichever one causes the least hassle would be best. Then again, if people know when the latest missions are going to be released, they'll come on and play regardles. The servers simply need MOAR POWAH!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well maybe they need to send somebody down to best buy to get some more servers, and hook 'em up.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dear Cryptic,

How many weeks will it take you to learn from your mistakes about releasing new content updates on Saturdays and bringing down the servers for "Emergency Maintenance." Really, last week it was because of too many people logged into for the 1 year celebration and new content update. This week is because of a new episode in a series release maybe? If I was a business, I would make sure that my "prime time market" could actually play during "prime time." I bet your actual best days for player activity is on the weekends when people aren't working. So therefore maybe you should do new content releases on weekdays, such as Wednesdays or Thursdays so can work out the bugs for your prime time. I am a new player to STO, signed up in time to catch the one year mark, but the reviews I read about STO and not just the hype sound about right with the technical problems in the game. I'm surprised though that you are so willing to release new content during "prime time" to stress test your servers and work out the bugs. That is just bad business. Even my last MMO had better sense than to follow your strategy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nah, actually that's a 403 Forbidden error. :)

Copy the direct link/address then, but the link works fine for the people i know, even the link in your quote :D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cyphr189 wrote: »
    Dear Cryptic,

How many weeks will it take you to learn from your mistakes about releasing new content updates on Saturdays and bringing down the servers for "Emergency Maintenance." Really, last week it was because of too many people logged into for the 1 year celebration and new content update. This week is because of a new episode in a series release maybe? If I was a business, I would make sure that my "prime time market" could actually play during "prime time." I bet your actual best days for player activity is on the weekends when people aren't working. So therefore maybe you should do new content releases on weekdays, such as Wednesdays or Thursdays so can work out the bugs for your prime time. I am a new player to STO, signed up in time to catch the one year mark, but the reviews I read about STO and not just the hype sound about right with the technical problems in the game. I'm surprised though that you are so willing to release new content during "prime time" to stress test your servers and work out the bugs. That is just bad business. Even my last MMO had better sense than to follow your strategy.

Please, it happens, quit complaining let them fix there servers, the tears aren't going to make things move faster.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bobbyieboy wrote:
    Easy they don't have a clue what they are talking about. the biggest server in the world and it's not gonna matter. This is a bigger problem then just buying more servers. They need to take the time and effort and understand usage, bandwith, power of servers they have and what they are doing (older servers can be fine if they are not doing as much for example, a log in server could be a lot older since all it does is validate a user name to a password and hand off to another server), my personal favorite as it is the largest part of my problems that i have to waste time fixing every day bad programmer's just writing quick and dirty code and a lot of other factors.

Unless someone has seen every line of code or run a ton of performance tests they don't know what is needed. they may spout a bunch of things that they have read in other places but if you picked them up and dropped them in a server room and told them fix it, they would have no clue where to start or what to do. Thats why they are yelling on forums from mom's basement or on here after getting out of their garbage job that they hate. A job that has nothing at all to do with working in or understanding a WAN environment in any way shape or form.

Hmm Bobby Boy, I do understand everything you said. But... they need better servers if they can't handle the load. Really, it's not complicated. Why don't you through in some more acronyms in your next post, it might make it sounds a little better. :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okey dokey Cryptic. Saw my brother play the mission, and now I am waiting to play it. Keep up the great work, I love the missions so far!:D
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It's not just about you EU people. you are basicly saying TRIBBLE you americans it matters what time EU plays. but in all actuality it affects everyone from every time zone and it may be your nighttime primetime but it is also same amount of users from othe places as well. just make the damn release on a weekday no matter what time and figure your TRIBBLE out cryptic
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wrote:
    Then maybe they will invest in better servers if it hurts their pockets.
    More servers only go so far, the code that balances the load between them need to be working properly too. Otherwise you have a lopsided system much like today where there were some in the unpopulated servers, and a lot more in the crowded servers, causing the crowded servers to have load issues.
This discussion has been closed.