test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Emergency Maintenance

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    njsjedi wrote: »
    yep i agree 100% but if Tribble crashes you cant really moan?!?!

Well, they can if that's the server that they release a new mission on, and it's the only server with the new mission on. I see what you mean, in that by putting it on tribble first they can test how it reacts to lots of users, but that just means everyone will play it on tribble and won't bother playing it on holodeck when it finally got released there. Which is great for the few people left on holodeck, but it doesn't really test the limits of holodeck.

They might just as well say "we're releasing a new mission on holodeck, but if it crashes, don't moan". It doesn't matter where they put the mission first, people will rush to play it and the server will go down. Using "it's on tribble" as an excuse won't change anything, nor will it stop the same thing happening again if people try to play it when it gets released on holodeck.

The only way to stop the crashes happening is to make sure the server has the capacity to handle the load. Putting it on tribble first won't change anything on holodeck. It'll just mean people start whining about the server crashes earlier. :p
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    At least it happened before I logged on today, LOL.
    edited February 2011
    Raven_Xp wrote:
    More servers only go so far, the code that balances the load between them need to be working properly too. Otherwise you have a lopsided system much like today where there were some in the unpopulated servers, and a lot more in the crowded servers, causing the crowded servers to have load issues.

Ok well of course no one knows "for certain" what goes on at Cryptic. Having said that, um yea, there are a several things that could cause these problems however, for an one year old MMO as popular as STO, I would have to say it most likely isnt their "load code".
    edited February 2011
    Streakfury wrote: »
    Well, they can if that's the server that they release a new mission on, and it's the only server with the new mission on. I see what you mean, in that by putting it on tribble first they can test how it reacts to lots of users, but that just means everyone will play it on tribble and won't bother playing it on holodeck when it finally got released there. Which is great for the few people left on holodeck, but it doesn't really test the limits of holodeck.

They might just as well say "we're releasing a new mission on holodeck, but if it crashes, don't moan". It doesn't matter where they put the mission first, people will rush to play it and the server will go down. Using "it's on tribble" as an excuse won't change anything, nor will it stop the same thing happening again if people try to play it when it gets released on holodeck.

The only way to stop the crashes happening is to make sure the server has the capacity to handle the load. Putting it on tribble first won't change anything on holodeck. It'll just mean people start whining about the server crashes earlier. :p

Unfortunately that won't work because not everyone plays on the test server, Looks good on paper though.

As I said ///

Log back in in a few hours, this was to be expected, Cryptic has never really solved the problem with client overload (just put band-aids in place). While the root of the problem is that it runs not only this game (holodeck) but also tribble and another completely different game and who knows what else. It could also run there espresso machines in the lobby and the heating coil's in there office chairs.
    edited February 2011
    Well atleast it's not like I barely managed to level to RA1 inbetween the dc's and am now just outside ESD waiting to get a new ship, new gear, and lots of other new shinies.... ><
    edited February 2011

Bwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    edited February 2011
    Calcova wrote:
    It's not just about you EU people. you are basicly saying TRIBBLE you americans it matters what time EU plays. but in all actuality it affects everyone from every time zone and it may be your nighttime primetime but it is also same amount of users from othe places as well. just make the damn release on a weekday no matter what time and figure your TRIBBLE out cryptic

Chill Dude it is just an idea! it just needs to be relased at a better time 11am PST is a silly time... people are up had breakfast done the mornd jobs and ready to chill with a bit of sto for the day... people in est had lunch now chilling out before the evening... the people in eu are chill back with a beer ready for abit of evening fun... yes on paper it looks goon but in the real world it dont work.... when would you say is a better time
    edited February 2011
    Stuff happens, i don't blame cryptic. This is only the second or third time "Emergency Maintenance" had to be performed. The devs aren't a bunch of block heads, I'm confident they are prepared for a lot of server TRIBBLE that comes their way, sometimes they just get caught off guard. This isn't a problem as long as things are fixed nice and smoothly, it would be a lot different if this kind of thing happened on a regular basis, but because it doesn't, there's really no reason to be pointing fingers....but i blame the Romulans....always TRIBBLE things up.....
    edited February 2011
    Um kind sir, maybe if you read the whole message you would see I propose a good alternative to prevent such said down time. But then that would require you to actually read my message instead of just quick replying.

BOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!
    edited February 2011
    Umrathama wrote: »
    Unfortunately that won't work because not everyone plays on the test server, Looks good on paper though.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say - it's a bad idea. The fact that not everyone plays on tribble is another reason that testing it on tribble isn't going to yield many results. :p
    edited February 2011
    Stuff happens, i don't blame cryptic. This is only the second or third time "Emergency Maintenance" had to be performed. The devs aren't a bunch of block heads, I'm confident they are prepared for a lot of server TRIBBLE that comes their way, sometimes they just get caught off guard. This isn't a problem as long as things are fixed nice and smoothly, it would be a lot different if this kind of thing happened on a regular basis, but because it doesn't, there's really no reason to be pointing fingers....but i blame the Romulans....always TRIBBLE things up.....

Yea, we can blame Cryptic when it becomes a weekly thing.
    edited February 2011
    you guys might want to call it "Standard Saturday Afternoon Maintenance Downtime" instead of emergency maintenance since last week you had the same thing happen :-)
    edited February 2011
    It could also run there espresso machines in the lobby...
    Oh god, imagine that.

Cryptic Coffee: Online

Level up to Master Barista of level 59, create coffee for Dstahl himself.
    Grind your way to the perfect brew.
    Over 9000 Bean Varieties!
    Equip your coffee maker with Epic Loots as you face off against epic 'Lunchtime Rush' Campaign.

Make this game cryptic.
    edited February 2011
    so, one hour.. how much longer? can we get an update plz :)
    edited February 2011
    Yeah that's what I was trying to say - it's a bad idea. The fact that not everyone plays on tribble is another reason that testing it on tribble isn't going to yield many results. :p

Aye, just agreeing, Quoted the wrong post I suppose, this dammed thing moves to fast.... LOL
    edited February 2011
    njsjedi wrote: »
    Chill Dude it is just an idea! it just needs to be relased at a better time 11am PST is a silly time... people are up had breakfast done the mornd jobs and ready to chill with a bit of sto for the day... people in est had lunch now chilling out before the evening... the people in eu are chill back with a beer ready for abit of evening fun... yes on paper it looks goon but in the real world it dont work.... when would you say is a better time

There is no real good time. in my fleet alone there are people from all corners of the world so no matter the time it will affect people the same way. there is no need to complain about the time of day because it's always primetime for some country no matter what time they release it.

For all I care let them spin a globe and throw a dart and say "it hit chicago release is at 6:00PM PST" or "Ok everyone the dart hit Berlin the lauch is at 12:00PST" or even "ok it hit HongKong release is at 6:00AM PST" because all these times are their Primetime
    edited February 2011
    So... is everyone planning on being here for next weeks Emergency Maintenance?
    edited February 2011
    Aye, just agreeing,

Good! Know your place!! :D:D
    edited February 2011
    samanth0r wrote: »
    Oh god, imagine that.

Cryptic Coffee: Online

Level up to Master Barista of level 59, create coffee for Dstahl himself.
    Grind your way to the perfect brew.
    Over 9000 Bean Varieties!
    Equip your coffee maker with Epic Loots as you face off against epic 'Lunchtime Rush' Campaign.

Make this game cryptic.

like :) i would buy this game:D
    edited February 2011
    Cleacoe wrote: »

Imo this is my favourite new 'Star Trek: Online' Episode series.
    We shall call it 'The Server Crash Forum Grind Extravaganza'
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    Cleacoe wrote: »

I think you mean "Totally Scheduled Mission Quality Assurance and Performance Confirmation Testing".
    edited February 2011
    Whats wrong with this server , its the 2nd straight Saturday this has happened...in my case both times while doing the KA mission where we almost had the mission complete.
    I think you should give something for your customers for all this inconvience with the server going down 2 weeks in a row.

Ya right..like that will ever happen.

Stonecoldsteve
    edited February 2011
    Oh well... time to play Champs Online ;-)
    edited February 2011
    samanth0r wrote: »
    Imo this is my favourite new 'Star Trek: Online' Episode series.
    We shall call it 'The Server Crash Forum Grind Extravaganza'

I Like it... catchy title
    edited February 2011
    Erebozz86 wrote:
    Are you serious???

If you prefer, they could just leave it locked up where nobody could get in, instead of fixing the problem.
    edited February 2011
    I think you mean "Totally Scheduled Mission Quality Assurance and Performance Confirmation Testing".

Ah, the TSMQA&PCT, I've seen this before
    edited February 2011
    RKRider wrote:
    Oh well... time to play Champs Online ;-)

that might be the Plan!!!
    edited February 2011
This discussion has been closed.