What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    That would be good to see, but unless it was animated, probably wouldn't happen due to the money that would have to be spent creating all different sets (e.g. you might need 5 regularly-appearing bridges instead of the 1 which would be required in a normal series).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That would be good to see, but unless it was animated, probably wouldn't happen due to the money that would have to be spent creating all different sets (e.g. you might need 5 regularly-appearing bridges instead of the 1 which would be required in a normal series).

green screen is a wonderfull inventrion for just such a thing.
    you'd just need the pysical parts the actors were interacting with.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just think about it like a band of brothers style war story in the star trek universe
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The bugs that were used to control chekov and his captain... COuld they possibly be the same creatures that infiltrated starfleet in TNG? Or at least a related species?

I think they might be related species, but not the same one. On Memory Alpha it says that the bug used in ST 2009 was supposted to be similar to the one in Khan, but they were two differnet species. Here's a link to the article if you're interrested.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Centaurian_slug

I would want a ST show similar to the TNG episode 'Lower Decks'. It would be interresting to see the ST universe from the eyes of an ensign instead of a captain.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I agree. I'd like to see something alittle bit grittier and less "topshelf" in my next Startrek series
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    I would want a ST show similar to the TNG episode 'Lower Decks'. It would be interresting to see the ST universe from the eyes of an ensign instead of a captain.

That show would suck. Lets see which is more compelling or at least entertaining.
    show about ensigns: Am i gonna get promoted? oh something big is happining, there going into the breifing room and oh look i'm not invited. oh no my uniform isnt pressed enough to impress the commander.
    regular show: Galaxy is at stake! We have to defeat evil aliens! Let's blow things up! WOOOOO saved the galaxy!

I'll go with classic anyday. New ideas have ruined Stargate for me. I'm looking at you SG Universe. You SUCK!! I dont want them to ruin Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    I think they might be related species, but not the same one. On Memory Alpha it says that the bug used in ST 2009 was supposted to be similar to the one in Khan, but they were two differnet species. Here's a link to the article if you're interrested.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Centaurian_slug

I believe that the original question was a bit mis-understood. The question was concerning the parasites in The ST:TNG Season 1 episode "Conspiracy" not the ST 2009 MP. The parasites in question no doubt appear to be related to the Ceti Eels from TWoK.

Neural Parasites on Memory Alpha

Unfortunately there was never any Canon explanation of their origin. A search of non-canon sources indicates that they are genetically mutated trill symbionts. Interesting concept actually.

Memory Beta Article
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just thought of two questions about the Next Generation episode The Naked Now.
    1) How many recorded instances are there of people taking showers in their clothing? It seems like there wouldn't be that many if they were just looking at medical instances.
    2) How did they cure Data? It's not like they coud give him a hypospray!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    1) ST 2009, how could the death of Kirk's father, which was the basis for the Alt Universe, make the Enterprise 1701 close to 2000 ft long, when the TOS original was just under 1000 feet?

2) Why did Janeway get promoted to Admiral for getting her command lost 70,000 light years away from home, while Sisko commanded one of the most important Starbases in the Galaxy? Sisko even had operational command of a fleet, 7th I believe, during the Dominion War.

3) What ever happened to the Transphasics Torps that Voy had during "Endgame"? The Ent-E could have used them in Nemesis.

at my last question....

4) How could Checkov have already been a SF officer when Kirk was still at the Academy since Checkov is 15 years younger than Kirk?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    1) The writers of the 2009 incarnations are total idiots where Star Trek technology is concerned. Plus they are normal Holywood type writers, "Mine's gotta be bigger!" mentality.

2) I wondered about that too. How many Captanins with senority where there over her? 300? 500? That is a lot of ememies...and Voyager was her first command, 7 years. Picard was on the Stargazer for 22 years before TNG. Sisko technicaly should have been "frocked" to Commodore, the rank is basically the lower half of a Rear Admiral. But it was only a TDY position, and my guess is that he once nearly left the service played into it.

3) Say it with me "I HATE Temproal Mechanics" Since the Voyager returned earlier than the future Janeway's, all that cool technology never existed...Or it was just a plot hole, as incidous as a singularity.

4)Again, 2009 writers being total dolts and not giving too fecal droppings about established canon. But canon got thrown out the window with that film.

Now here is one...

Why would Spock just accept he is stuck in that alternate timeline? That violates the Prime Directive, the Temproal Prime Directive, and really has to have ****ed off both Daniel's and the USS Relativity...AS Braxton would say, "At least Janeway didn't cause this problem!" The fact that he just shrugged it off is WAY outta character for him. Unless Spock Prime is actually from another reality, not the primeline.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BJBeard wrote:
    Why would Spock just accept he is stuck in that alternate timeline? That violates the Prime Directive, the Temproal Prime Directive, and really has to have ****ed off both Daniel's and the USS Relativity...AS Braxton would say, "At least Janeway didn't cause this problem!" The fact that he just shrugged it off is WAY outta character for him. Unless Spock Prime is actually from another reality, not the primeline.

I would asume that Spock realized the he is close to 300 years old and just doesnt care anymore. But in all "reality" Spock, have traveled into the past several times before (ST:IV) would have traveled to the moment Nero appeared and stop him, thus setting the time line back to "normal". Him living with the fact that Vulcan was destroyed and carrying on, is way to out of character. But as you said before, the writers were F-ing morons that dont care aout Trek or canon....may G-d have mercy on their souls.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »
    1) ST 2009, how could the death of Kirk's father, which was the basis for the Alt Universe, make the Enterprise 1701 close to 2000 ft long, when the TOS original was just under 1000 feet?

2) Why did Janeway get promoted to Admiral for getting her command lost 70,000 light years away from home, while Sisko commanded one of the most important Starbases in the Galaxy? Sisko even had operational command of a fleet, 7th I believe, during the Dominion War.

3) What ever happened to the Transphasics Torps that Voy had during "Endgame"? The Ent-E could have used them in Nemesis.

at my last question....

4) How could Checkov have already been a SF officer when Kirk was still at the Academy since Checkov is 15 years younger than Kirk?

1) Whilst the death of Kirk's father was what created the AU, there will have been many knock-on effects. It's what is often referred to as "the butterfly effect" (which is actually taken from Chaos theory and applied to time travel scenarios in a lot of sci-fi). Change something small and as a result of that change, lots of other things change as well, some of which may be end up being pretty big.

2) It wasn't entirely Janeway's fault. Agreed, she destroyed the Caretaker's array, but the reasoning behind it was in keeping with Starfleet values and the lives saved as a result probably vastly outnumbered her crew. Bear in mind, they also defeated the Borg on numerous occassions (including destroying the Borg transwarp hub), became ambassadors of the Federation in the Delta Quadrant, made god-knows-how-many first contacts, mapped a good chunk of the Delta Quadrant and gathered masses of new scientific data. She also got the majority of her crew home alive, brought back new technology, and several scientific advancements were made under her command such as liberating Borg, the advancement of the EMH and breaking the warp 10 barrier (although admittedly the consequences weren't brilliant). Most people would have just stopped at the first M-class planet they found with good trade routes, but Janeway made sure they got home and brought a wealth of new knowledge whilst sticking to Starfleet rules and regs (which the captain of the Equinox wasn't so good at). She definitely deserved promotion to Admiral. On the other hand, Sisko also should have got promotion to Admiral. Maybe he didn't want it?

3) I quote from Memory Alpha:
    According to the Pocket Books novel Greater than the Sum, transphasic torpedoes were in fact kept by Starfleet as the weapon of last resort to be deployed to starships only when all else had failed against the Borg. They were the one and only thing Starfleet knew the Borg had not yet adapted to and for that reason wanted to keep this ace in the hole for as long as possible.
    and
    In the novel Lost Souls, set in 2381, during a Borg invasion, the Borg finally adapted to the transphasic torpedoes.
    which is why they are now used in STO

4) I quote from wikipedia:
    In the eleventh Star Trek film, Anton Yelchin's portrayal presents the character as a 17-year-old prodigy,
    That's why he's already in SF. Why's he a child prodigy in the AU? All to do with a theory in quantum physics that all possibilities actually happen, only in different universes. Because the timeline has been changed, Chekov may not be the same Chekov as in the Prime timeline. There was always a probability of him being a prodigy, and the Abrams timeline just happens to be the universe where that option occurs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BJBeard wrote:

Because the AU is not the same thing as time travel, he's not affecting his own universes future, indeed cannot, he's in a totally different universe.

No need for Braxton or any of the "Time Cop" rubbish, you can't affect your own time line.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mysteries in ST.

VOY
    How the EMH's mobile emitter retained all it's power after a few decades in Ice. (sortof)
    How the EMH was allowed to modify his program so easily.

TNG
    How starfleet have nanites (Wesley creates a "super nanite" species, if you can say that) but yet they aren't mentioned again anywhere else.

DS9
    How shuttles (e.g. Rio Grande) exactly fit the DS9 docking lifts despite it being a Cardassian station. Shuttles are hardly light...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How does the vulcan eyebrow lift never end in an eyebrow getting stuck behind an ear?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Where is the bathroom?

Do people not TRIBBLE replicated food? Or do you stand very still on the transporter pad and they beam the carp out of you. (pun intended)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They made reference in Voyager to the fact that bathrooms were malfunctioning on a few decks were down and that lines were forming for the working ones. Meaning yes, yes they do exist.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    quarters had bathrooms. in stng. Remember the one were everyone was devolding and troi was laying in her bathtub?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    quarters had bathrooms. in stng. Remember the one were everyone was devolding and troi was laying in her bathtub?

Showing a bathtub, shower, and sink is far from showing the "Captains Chair"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Showing a bathtub, shower, and sink is far from showing the "Captains Chair"
    My question is, why would you actually want to see the toilet? If I want to go and look at one I can do it without turning on the TV. Unless they have some evil alien creature attacking from the toilets, they're obviously not going to show them/waste time and money putting one on-set unless it is linked with a plot or subplot. If someones quarters have an en-suite bathroom which contains a bath and basin, it's probably fairly safe to assume there is a toilet there as well.;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BJBeard wrote:
    2) I wondered about that too. How many Captanins with senority where there over her? 300? 500? That is a lot of ememies...and Voyager was her first command, 7 years. Picard was on the Stargazer for 22 years before TNG. Sisko technicaly should have been "frocked" to Commodore, the rank is basically the lower half of a Rear Admiral. But it was only a TDY position, and my guess is that he once nearly left the service played into it.

Maybe the mystery is why Picard was on the Stargazer for 22 years and was as old as he was before being offered a new ship, which then just happened to be the flag ship. While you see some older Admirals in the series you also see others who appear to be younger than Picard. I'm not sure Picard even wanted to be an admiral. Kirk even advised him in Generations not to let them promote him. Plus the fact that he violated the Prime Directive on so many occasions couldn't have helped him.

Maybe you could argue that Picard had very poor political connections, thus being put on a relatively second-rate ship for so long, until the powers that be absolutely could not ignore his record any longer. With his promotion to Admiral it could be the same story, or just lack of desire.

With Sisko, the fact that he disappeared shortly after the end of the war didn't help his cause. I don't know what happens in the 'relaunch' novels, but by canon standards he is MIA and possibly could be considered to have died. Maybe his promotion was in the works, but then he was gone. Sisko's loyalty to Star Fleet was also compromised by his loyalty to Bajor as their Emissary, and he actually set back Federation interests on a few occasions because of it (like when he told them not to join the Federation). Sisko also wasn't very "by the book" and broke regulations/accepted ways of doing things on a number of occasions.

I'm not sure either Picard or Sisko was what Star Fleet wanted in an Admiral, whereas Janeway always seemed to adhere much more strictly to regulations.

My question are these:

1) Why was Riker not promoted to Captain of the Enterprise when Picard went missing, instead of Jellico? He had been offered commands in the past, and had been field promoted to Captain of the Enterprise when it single handedly saved Earth from assimilation by the Borg (Best of Both Worlds). It really made no sense, when that single accomplishment must have been more than Jellico had done in his entire career.

2) Why did Dukat have all kinds of "force powers" when he was joined with the Kosst Amojan, yet Sisko who was part Prophet (and apparently actually was one) had no powers whatsoever and only managed to defeat Dukat with a shoulder charge? (That had to be, by far, the most anti-climactic moment of the entire DS9 run.)

3) Why was the Enterprise, one of the most advanced ships in the fleet, assigned to diplomatic duties (the entire events of Insurrection), when the Dominion war was raging and it looked like the Federation and its allies could very well lose?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Because the AU is not the same thing as time travel, he's not affecting his own universes future, indeed cannot, he's in a totally different universe.

No need for Braxton or any of the "Time Cop" rubbish, you can't affect your own time line.

Yes, but in all other instances of time travel it does indeed change the existing time line. This is even showed in First Contact, where the Enterprise is only shielded from the change by being caught in the temporal wake, and also in "Past Tense" where only the Defiant is not changed and everything else is.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tason wrote:
    Any sane creature would be wary of Q.

What does Q stand for?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What does Q stand for?

Q was a member of the Q Continuum see here.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    Q was a member of the Q Continuum see here.

No joke!

I was asking what Q actuall stands for, not what is a Q.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nagorak wrote: »
    Yes, but in all other instances of time travel it does indeed change the existing time line. This is even showed in First Contact, where the Enterprise is only shielded from the change by being caught in the temporal wake, and also in "Past Tense" where only the Defiant is not changed and everything else is.

But not this time, they used causal temporal mechanics, which says you can't go back and change anything that would cause you not to be there to go back in the first place.

So to travel backwards in time you have to create a new branch of superspace starting at the point you travel back to.

a new universe means you are not affecting your own time line.

This is proper time travel, not the ridiculous mess the series and even the first contact made of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No joke!

I was asking what Q actuall stands for, not what is a Q.

Nohting. Q is just a name/notation to say they are a member of the Q species (though there are variations, see the link). The only one to get a proper name was "Quinn" in the one Voyager episode.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    Nohting. Q is just a name/notation to say they are a member of the Q species (though there are variations, see the link). The only one to get a proper name was "Quinn" in the one Voyager episode.

The article leaves out "Squire of Gothos" which is by all means a Proto-Q as is mentioned in the novel "Q-Squared"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Here's one. WHat the hell are the prophets really talking about when they say they are "Of Bajor"?
    Could they be the bajorans decendents due to some kind of temporal paradox?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is more or less a game Trek question:
    Why on Earth did John Daine and the crew of the Martel defect to the Romulans?

How can anyone go from first year cadet to full fledged starship captain in 3 years when the minimum is a least 8?
    He SAVED EARTH. It's not really that hard to get. He made the right connections between various facts, and made the right decisison where everyone else failed.

The real question is: What planet was Future-Real-Timeline Spock on that he could so easily see Vulcan imploding? I thought Vulcan didn't have a moon, so what could it be?