test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (February 12, 2010)

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Orgata wrote:
    Freedom of speech in the US protects you against the government... Last time I checked, Cryptic wasn't the US government and can dictate what is said and done in their house anyway that they want to. If you come into my house and call me a creep I can throw you out, ban you, or refuse to serve you beer or dinner as I see fit. Freedom of speech protects you from going to jail for speaking out against the government, not from being banned/deleted/denied service from a private company. However they want to run their house, they can run it. You get to chime in with your dollars. They get to react to your opinion as they see fit/feel like.

Correct, cryptic is a private company and these are technically privately owned forums. On the forums and in game we have no free speach rights. Many rights we "sign away" everytime we click the patcher ENGAGE button - we are agreeing to all the legal terms and EULA.

In the end if people don't like Cryptic or STO, they cancel. Unfortunately most people can not get a refund for the game itself nor can they refund the LT sub

I've heard somepeople say ill claim cryptic defrauded me and have my bank CC reverse the charge... yes their bank will.. they will contact cryptic.. find out it wasn't a fradulent charge and the money will come right back out of your bank or CC. Anything beyond that someone would have to SUE them to get a LT sub back or retail back.

and 1) most ppl couldn't afford to battle cryptics legal defense team, 2) most ppl rattle their chains about suing, but never would. If someoen was RICH they could do it on principle, or a group of ppl as a class action.. but again.. they still have to pay a lawyer or find one to take it on contingency (which they would be hard pressed to find IMO as there wouldn't be a lot of $$ that lawyer would stand to earn)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Orgata wrote:
    Freedom of speech in the US protects you against the government... Last time I checked, Cryptic wasn't the US government and can dictate what is said and done in their house anyway that they want to. If you come into my house and call me a creep I can throw you out, ban you, or refuse to serve you beer or dinner as I see fit. Freedom of speech protects you from going to jail for speaking out against the government, not from being banned/deleted/denied service from a private company. However they want to run their house, they can run it. You get to chime in with your dollars. They get to react to your opinion as they see fit/feel like.

True to a point. They are under US law and bound by it. They also provide a TOS. You agree to it when you sign up for the forum. I'm sure you read every little bit of it right? It's chock full of legal speak, telling you what you can or cannot do/say etc. So yes, Freedom of speech. Unless he's broken the TOS, he can say what he wants. Happy?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are in the middle(ish) of the "lets make sure everything is working the way it should" phase after a maintenance.

I'm not sure what the ETA is but I'm betting on less then 20 minutes.

Then again space dragons are notoriously terrible gamblers :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alyara wrote:
    Dang...got the patch...still "Not allowed to log into this server at this time."

:'(

Yes another perfect example of cryptic 'thinking' you can't log into the 'new' patched servers without the patches so try to bring up the patch content servers and initial login server (before the game) FIRST. Again minimizing time to get back to playing

CRYPTIC: I must say I'm pretty dang impressed with the operations teams so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1 more hour ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are in the middle(ish) of the "lets make sure everything is working the way it should" phase after a maintenance.

Thanks indigo. Watching WarGames on G4 so I will keep checking in.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    how long will it be from completion of the update to the servers being online ? its 8:05am here in the uk now and im bored already ! heh
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'll give you 21 minutes, after that, I make an "I quit" post and rage for 7 days.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think this un-scheduled time shift in the mainenace falls under the old saying:
    "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”,
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Ty for the headsup.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *blank stare* Ive been up since 5.45am, I worked 8 hours... sheer willpower is keeping me awake. Stop tormenting me Cryptic!

*stares*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raven1x1 wrote:
    1 more hour ?

Raven: The GM's probably don't know. operations/development/build and release are busy as heck or were, now 'qa' is taking a run at the servers to make sure everything is ok.

The gm's are hoping 20 minutes...

However: it's likely the servers will be back up before the GM's can 'notify' us... and we'll see it in the game when the server up icon goes green :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm unimpressed with the downtime guesstimate, your engineers/sysads need to watch some more star trek DS9, O'Brien always gave an estimated time higher than the job would actually take, so he looked good finishing ahead of the time he projected.

:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Appreciate the estimate.

..In space nobody can hear you scream..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Servers are up!

I will be locking this thread now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Thankyou :)
    It's these up-to-minute posts that most of us really appreciate; its nice to be cared about :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010

thanks for the update
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naverino wrote: »
    I'm unimpressed with the downtime guesstimate, your engineers/sysads need to watch some more star trek DS9, O'Brien always gave an estimated time higher than the job would actually take, so he looked good finishing ahead of the time he projected.

:)

That originated with Scotty... however that said...

THREAD WINNER :) collect your cupie doll
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ..In space nobody can hear you scream..

Or call for help in a deep space encounter apparently. xD
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Thank you.

Hopefully the giant space amoeba will stop trying to snack on the servers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Servers Up
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in. See if I can wake up now
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilBunBun wrote:
    I think you're missing what I was referring to as the 'basis' of a worry about lawsuits.... it had nothing to do with downtime, it had everything to do with delivering on what was 'purchased' (uniforms/etc from colllectors edition, digital editions, etc) which is a whole different worry.

You're absolutely right that 'downtime' (a reasonable amount even up to days) isn't a real worry for them, its more 'truth in advertising' they can't say 'in this pacakge you get access to feature 'yyy'' and simply not deliver (and as soon as possible). THAT is what I was talking about. Even if you don't wind up in court you wind up with a TON of ****ed off customers because you sold them something they never got.

Oh I see that point.... But all y ou've be suing for would be the difference in cost between versions which ranges from $25-50... by the time people sued, these issues would be resolved.

.. and then what do u sue over "I couldn't use my custom costume for 2 weeks"

NONE of the retail perks give u a significant game play adv.. they are all "fluff" but yes people have paid for them.

However jsut because u can't get some costume isn't game breaking.. when it's available... you use it. I agree that cryptic admitted there was a key issue, but I believe after this patch, 95% of those issues will be solved.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    edited by Indigofyre: we shall save this discussion for another maintenance ;)
This discussion has been closed.