test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (February 12, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    LordGrok wrote: »
    Thank you. The trolls in this forum are ignorant and tiresome. One world one people y'all. If you don't get that then there is not much that can be said to you that will make any difference.

For me living in West Australia, the regular server maintenance starts at 7pm.... Not much I need to say about that right? This unscheduled update started at 2pm on Sunday. Not so much better.

Look I love the game (gotta say that or the freaks think you're writing in a forum waiting for a game to come back online for the heck of it) but it's really important that cryptic provide us with a better service. You can't control bugs but you can:
    * Announce maintenance in advance.
    * Rotate maintenance schedules (even a 2hr shift would be useful).
    * Fix broken quests.
    * Stop providing new content that is broken.
    * Provide larger patches that address more issues =

IMO it's important that cryptic address their release mechanisms and provide better testing, more significant, patches and less unscheduled downtime.

Thanks for your consideration.

I agree with you, but I'm also a realist. It is a usa company and that DOES dictated their downtimes. Those employees have lives and stuff too :)

3am-5am PT (11am-1pm) GMT is about the best compromise they can come up with

However, doing 5am-7am PT (1pm-3pm GMT) would work also. So I think there is some time to bump it forward but they WONT.. and I guarentee that bump it BACK two hrs to 1am PT as that bites into PT players time

... and unfortunately being US based, they will, in the end favor the NA (US/canada time zones).

It would have been great if they had 2 servers.. but this way everyone can play with their friends around the world.

Sure it's caused issues post launch, but they will get ironed out... and even if they dont change that 3qam-5am PT schedule.. as time passes they will only need to down the server once a week. And if it only went down once a week, I wouldn't care if it was even in my prime time

I think people just need to wait a lil longer and let the servers get stable... then a 1-2X/week maint schedule wont be a big thing.. then eventually we will see every 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well I will not QQ but......it only 1 am cst and the servers are down......scheduled for 5am cst??? wow must be needin a head start...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey funny story,

So you know all the people who say we should do rotating maintenance?

Well considering the server is down right now we have decided to do the maintenance while we fix the server.
    So the scheduled up time is 12am PST (8am GMT).

Well, huzzah; that sorta falls in the category of taking lemons and making lemonade, right?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man, you guys broke my F5 button...posting is evil!

=P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alyara wrote:
    Man, you guys broke my F5 button...posting is evil!

=P

LOL, so true :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    I wasnt bashing the armed forces. Just that one guy and making a point to his ignorance and bigotry

:) I understand and appreciate the civil response =-D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, I was almost done with my fights with smuggler ships when this happened. lol I thought it was my comp acting up or something. Glad it's not just me then. Thanks for the news update to let us know, Cryptic/STO staff. I hope I don't have to do that whole mission again. I hope it just lets me get back to where I was 'dropped off' from servers then?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THIS

Servers VS Databse times

Servers spread out can improve ping, but then you'd need a sort of "running database" that saves to the main one after x minutes and if it crashes within that window, well there would be much QQ, otherwise the bandwidth would be eaten just from db updates, thus defeating the purpose

Sort of, you actually need a 'unified' view into the databases across all geographic locations, there are two main ways of doing this (and a bunch of others too).

A) all various geographic locations use a central main database (or set of databases) located in one spot with a hot spare replicating data but not serving any of it

B) you have a main 'write' database that has replicas in each geographic location, and some of those replicas can 'take over' on a failure.

Disadvantages (I'll skip the advantages): A) is lagged for users who's 'local' servers have latencies that are greater than 10-20ms which leads to desync on what's destroyed, your status, etc (chats are a seperate system most likely) this also impacts ship locations and so forth. B) you have the same issues however it's no longer the 'servers' to the central database but its the 'replication speed/latency' between the central 'write' database and the replicas, you also will see issues 'writing' info as you go back to a central location.

Theres a way to avoid some of this by doing multi-way replication, but when that blows up its REALLY REALLY REALLY ugly and can lead to days of downtime as databases are rebuilt and manually merged, temporary information like what was going on right then (battles/etc) aren't much of a problem as you just throw that data away and resume from last save point, but the character stuff... THAT can be ugly, best case you may lose items/progress, worst case you have character corruption (and that may or may not be fixable (fully or partially)).

Note that the servers REQUIRE low latency connections to the databases/datastores for the game to function. As latency goes up (currently their latency is likely < 1ms) problems exponentially grow.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, how cute. TRIBBLE us out of a few hours of gameplay. Thanks.

Um, this is instead of taking the servers down at 3am PST, genius. Essentially, the only things that's changed is when the downtime occurred.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another American opinion, "As long as its not affecting me then its great" Neh?

We know for a fact there are more EU players than there are American so keep ****ing us off and
    you will feel the wrath of (no not kahn) but the EU players as they drop off due to:

a. lack of interest in game since
    1. Klingon are not fully done,
    2. The game itself lacks anything worth doing after the first week of hard core playing

b. lack of gametime due to:
    1. crashing in the first weeks(its become better but still crashing)
    2. maintanence is scheduelled around high peak game time on weekend in EU

c. Overall disgust over being treated as a secondary playerclass to amereicans whom have been treated first calss even though they in reality are a minority.

You know we weren't affected in ww1 an we bailed your euro butt out we weren't bothered by hitler in ww2 an we came over an bailed your sorry butts out a 2nd time so deal with the down time go out enjoy the sunshine an come back when its up in an hour
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BX1 wrote: »
    EvilBunBun? Any relation to EvilBunny? :cool:

No, I stole Bun-Bun from sluggy freelance (web comic) Bun-Bun is a 'rabbit' that was brought into the strip to be cute and cuddly. However he's a psychpath and carries a glock and switchblade, and kills telemarketers with a dull spoon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Yep I agree. I can't stand it when people use being in one of our armed forces to show so much ignorance and bigotry.. it's a disgrace to the usa, the army, navy, airforce, and marines.

He either had some BAD parenting or some REALLY bad influences in his life

i agree as well. and people wonder why france hates us...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How long have the servers been down anyhow? I just tried to login but nogo... 8(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OK people you people need to relax. Yes it sucks, but it's also necessary for them to make the game work properly.

But one thing I would urge Cryptic to do is stop making aesthetics changes i.e. skirts, phaser color and so on and concentrate on actual bugs in the game. I mean how long has Borg Hunt been bugged? Ages is how long. Fix mission bugs first then deal with skirt issues at a later date.

EU vs US argument is really sad BTW. It's the 21st Century we need a little more unity I think.

And I agree with the poster about leveling too fast it needs to be slowed down a bit I mean when everyone hits Admiral what then? Yes we could go another eight ranks I think in Admiral, but if we level so fast it will be done too quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    High-Tec wrote:
    As thought, you don't understand. I suggest, go and grow up. It's about time.

There u go again. Funny. The good thing is, that i exactly know that not all US pplz like u. And tell u what; Thats good to know. Otherwise, it would scare the **** outa me. And now, go, somewhere, Space is big. Find a Planet to grow up.

Ah, on thing as sidenote. It's 8:00 in the Morning here and thats by far away from our "Peaktime". I really think u must have been asleep at school.

I understand perfectly well, you can't spell for ****. And if it's so far away from your peak time, then why are all you euros *****ing and complaining? Oh, right, you don't know how to do anything else but ***** and whine about Americans. **** off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank you for updating the post on the first page to let us know so we were not just wondering. I for one really appreciate it.

_g
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And I just fixt my fix. Seems I forgot to change the date on the launcher.

So it read Saturday 2/12. Oh silly me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Oh wow.. a thug in the armed forces.. you must be proud.. going over seas and battling in pointless wars cuz politicans line their pockets with oil income and have the america public terrorized over "terrorists" and if you have an education like that.. then I feel even more sorry for your line of thinking. I hold a Phd , BA, BS, and an AS. LOL

Wow and calling someone a p***y.... how ORIGINAL.. burn some brain cells comming up with that one? I would have hoped you could have come up with at least something more ORIGINAL

It's people like you who think we are THE best country, our way is the RIGHT way will be the undoing of this country. Until bigots and ignorant people like you learn to accept the rest of the world. There isn't going to be a lot of peace in our time.

Is there an ignore function to the forums?? can we get one??? Don't need to hear this liberal BS; America bashing. We get enough from the mainstram media, and our elected officials.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yaay for getting the skirts working in game!
    I would also like to spend my C-Points for extra character slots... like 10 of them if you would be so kind ^.^
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nitee wrote:
    You know we weren't affected in ww1 an we bailed your euro butt out we weren't bothered by hitler in ww2 an we came over an bailed your sorry butts out a 2nd time so deal with the down time go out enjoy the sunshine an come back when its up in an hour

Whitman911 wasnt me this time so stop frownin! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    although i cant log in, i must admit id rather its down now at least i have the option of going back to bed, much better time for GMT 6 - 8am than 11am - 1pm.

so i thank you

as long as i can log in when the server starts up of course, keep those lag and connection improvments coming

i actually logged in last night in prime time evening! they must be doing something right! first time since well never! not even in closed beta!..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrZagreus wrote: »
    OK people you people need to relax. Yes it sucks, but it's also necessary for them to make the game work properly.

But one thing I would urge Cryptic to do is stop making aesthetics changes i.e. skirts, phaser color and so on and concentrate on actual bugs in the game. I mean how long has Borg Hunt be bugged? Ages is how long. Fix mission bugs first then deal with skirt issues at a later date.

EU vs US argument is really sad BTW. It's the 21st Century we need a little more unity I think.

And I agree with the poster about leveling too fast it needs to be slowed down a bit I mean when everyone hits Admiral what then? Yes we could go another eight ranks I think in Admiral, but if we level so fast it will be done too quickly.

The skirts (if they are the original TOS outfits) change IS required, it's a part of the collectors edition thats been missing (along with my red matter capacitor). They sold the 'upgraded' version with that advertised, they need to deliver on it.

That being said, patch sets in the early stages are usually much more than single fixes, there are likely stability issue fixes (hopefully ground/space UI ones too, my 'quick bar' keeps forgetting stuff and has to be redone every ground mission).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Whrlwnd13 wrote: »
    Is there an ignore function to the forums?? can we get one??? Don't need to hear this liberal BS; America bashing. We get enough from the mainstram media, and our elected officials.

Yes you can add them to ignore list by profile modification.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whitman911 wrote: »
    :) I understand and appreciate the civil response =-D

Most of my family has been in the army, navy, airforce, and marines.. just not me.... so I have great respect.

They may not AGREE why we are fighting in the middle east.. but it's their jobs and they do it... but they dont do it BLINDLY... they full well know why we are there and don't agree with it.. but when you are in the military, you sort of go and do what your told heheheh.

And I admire them for that because I could not. I wouldn't last. I'd get courtmarshaled in a heartbeat.. well and I'm too old anyway. I'm almost 39. So I can't be drafted or taken in.

I don't have to agree with what our government and armed forces are doing, but I DO respect those over their risking their lives for believing in our country. I just tend to take digs at people who blindly do it and make ignorant statements bashing on even our allied countries.

We may never have peace, but if we want to come as close to it as we can, having americans spouting we are better than everyone else and the world revolves around us does not solve anything.

We've been an official country since 1776 - that's 234 yrs. So many EU countries have had 1000s of yrs experience being a county. Granted us starting a new let us leap ahead in technology because we didn't have 500+ yr old infrastructure holding us back (exception of Japan.. those people are just tech geniouses). So IMO it's just arrogant for a county <300 yrs old assuming they know what's best for the world when the rest of the world has been around for 1000s and 1000s of yrs... it just makes me LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrZagreus wrote: »

What's EU - is that like the mirror universe w/o central air?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yamato23 wrote: »
    i agree as well. and people wonder why france hates us...

The France thing cracks me up... People who tend to forget history seem to frequently lament Frances inability to support us after having save their collective TRIBBLE during WWII. What they don't seem to grasp is the simple fact that we WOULDN'T even be a soveriegn nation if not for France's support during the Revolutionary War. As far as I am concerned we are even Steven.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nitee wrote:

Um...yeah December 7 1941. I'm sure there was something there...something infamous maybe..or whatever, maybe we'll remember it later :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ilarcek wrote:
    I understand perfectly well, you can't spell for ****. And if it's so far away from your peak time, then why are all you euros *****ing and complaining? Oh, right, you don't know how to do anything else but ***** and whine about Americans. **** off.

It's hate and race and old ways that keep people like the ones bloody ****ing on one another.

All I can say is anyone hating on any other race, person, rank, ect. does not need to play a game focused on what everyone needs to focus on. Each other. Were all human, were all on the same gosh darn planet that is falling apart each and every day.

I mean we are just a speck in the galaxy. So easy we could be gone in one super nova or small rock in space (small as in the size of Texas but compared to a planet, its VERY SMALL)

So sit back, relax, and smoke some kind bud that was grown on the crumbling planet. You only live once (unless you believe in reincarnation. I didn't at first until I saw a car turn into a driveway) :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Small joke to pass the time.....

You ever hear of a wish sandwich?

....A wish sandwich is when you have two slices of bread..... And you wish you had some meat!

(And if you like the Blues.... Check out Rubber Biscuit by the Blues Bros.--Yes it is an actual band, not just a movie!)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hash420 wrote:
    So sit back, relax, and smoke some kind bud that was grown on the crumbling planet. You only live once (unless you believe in reincarnation. I didn't at first until I saw a car turn into a driveway) :p

epic win .
This discussion has been closed.