test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (February 12, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ilarcek wrote:
    I have no idea where Rom is. I know Rome is in Italy, and inside Rome is Vatican City. If you'd like a geography lesson, I'd be happy to educate you. For example, Australia is not part of Europe.... but that's irrelevant.
    As thought, you don't understand. I suggest, go and grow up. It's about time.
    ilarcek wrote:
    I really don't give a **** what you arrogant, self centered euros think about anything, let alone that a American company is cutting into your "peak time". Like I said, you don't like it, make your own games, otherwise **** off.
    There u go again. Funny. The good thing is, that i exactly know that not all US pplz like u. And tell u what; Thats good to know. Otherwise, it would scare the **** outa me. And now, go, somewhere, Space is big. Find a Planet to grow up.

Ah, on thing as sidenote. It's 8:00 in the Morning here and thats by far away from our "Peaktime". I really think u must have been asleep at school.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Boo, the miniature giant Space Hamster walks in, and takes a gander at the monstrous piles of dead hamsters surrounding the central server. He looks around at all stunned system administrators, as they wander around aimlessly, looking for live hamsters to feed the ravenous tread-mill.

Boo fishes out the last traces of Tribble flesh, with a tooth pick, and then clicks his tongue.

The administrator gaze at him in awe!

"Alright, here's my fee, geek heads. 100 Tribbles a day, and I'll keep your server up and running. Oh, and I need you to find Minsc a hamster to play with ... do we have a deal?!!"

The chief OS administrator glumly nods his head.

"Right. Now where's that tread-mill?!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Wow and calling someone a p***y.... how ORIGINAL.. burn some brain cells comming up with that one? I would have hoped you could have come up with at least something more ORIGINAL.

How could they burn up any more brain cells when they obviously don't have any left, i mean come on s/he is just a troll and a bad one at that, unfortunately people like him/her give the american people a bad name and make the whole of the human race look stupid.

btw good to here that the patch and maintenance is being pushed forwards to now cryptic, though if you ask me 11am to 1pm GMT is not really a bad time to patch the game, i live in the UK and it has never made me think 'OMG it's the end of the world cause i cannot play ST:O'.

I Wish people would quit complaining about the downtime and patches and learn to live with them , they will be happening long into the future and if you cannot deal with it go play chess or some other non web/internet based game and leave us all alone.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    weak.

i plan my playtime around scheduled maintenance, and i can forgive unexpected downtime. but moving maintenance ahead 5 hours screws up my whole schedule. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bomyne wrote: »
    All MMOs have maintenance... the good thing is that Cryptic turned a crash into maintenance rather then having double downtime... Blizzard... Sony... Funcom... No one else does that as far as I can tell.

very true mate kill two birds with one stone why not eh ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jez i havent had a decent pint and been to the bookies in 8 years i need to get my lazy bones back to the uk
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OR they just decided "Hey, the server is down unexpectedly and earlier than planned. Hell, why not take this time to fix the issue AND put out the patch.

I don't think it has to necessarily be a business plan, however in retrospect to whomever makes it the decision then *becomes* a "business decision."

At any rate hopefully this means the servers will be up earlier, although I'm a little ticked that the launcher wasn't updated and then the main post has a different time altogether than what is in the launcher.

Firstly.... That post was well before the server went down- note the edits in the OP. Secoundly.... Hmmmm.... Yes, the originaly time was midday UK time... On Saturday... Which unfortunately for them, still means lower pop than prime time US. People can moan about that all they like, but it's not going to change. (I'm night shift Hawai'ian time so.. Yeah my lunchtime too.) So... All that really leaves us is to...

Suck it up, drink water... Drive on

Adapt and overcome and.... You get the picture.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *ahem*

<.<
    >.>

fixt

/lmao

admins with humor...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, 13, February from 3am PST to 5am PST (11am to 1pm GMT), in order to perform maintenance, and apply a new patch. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed.

UPDATE: At 10:07 STO has unexpectedly gone down. We are working to rectify this as soon as possible.

UPDATE 2: We have decided to push the patch during this unexpected downtime. Maintenance is scheduled to be over at 12am PST (8am GMT)

3am EST... and then I have to finish getting to Commander... could you guys auto-level me, I was nearly there, in the vendor system mission... Romulans with heals... the horror! And those wiggly Magai ships... ;_;

*passes out from exhaustion*
  • Options
    edited February 2010

OK I have a joke. Why do they call it Whistler?

Because that's the sound you make flying through the air at 90 MPH.

Might be a bit soon and really not in the best taste.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SICK AND TIRED AND CRYPTIC/ATARI and STO !

Yes... I am sick and tired...

1. I was up many hours running missions since pre-release

and

2. Today I ate at a place called JOLLIBEE and now im sick !

Ya - it has nothing to so with STO ,.,,. but I just wanted everyone to know..

IM SICK AND TIRED!

- Sav out ! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hash420 wrote:
    No patch in the history of cryptic will fix these crashes unless they get the servers more wide spread across the planet.

Having all your eggs in one basket has egg all over your face every time the server blows up. You are flooding the already over flow of bandwidth in California as is.

You need Servers in the UK or at least or maybe New York? Have a balance and still have them all communicate? I mean you have random servers now for multiple small space areas, why not add some more and have the players who ping better to those servers join only the best one?

That or SCRAP this false idea of having multiple mini servers and actually make space feel like the final frontier instead of this "Space... The free floating Office Cubical"

Bandwidth in CA is a NON issue lol. If you monitor the in game network stats, the servers NEVER.. I mean NEVER have bandwidth issues.

The server issues are 90 percent software issues with the database corrupting and crashing and not handling the loads and 10% new hardware needed

They already have a set, fixed server model. They lack the funds to make sep server farms for EU and other places in the world. They were underbudget already.

This is what we have and what we will have to deal with. They WILL make them stable enough to handle world wide use.

And if you didn't know. they now have THREE login servers. NA, EU and Oceanic. Now all of them connect to the same game server, but where there was one login server cluster overloading .. there are now 3...

thi s also lets them control the # of players in game at once. During NA primetime, they limit EU/Oceanic players and if too many of them try to play, they hit a Q... if too many NA people try o play during EU/O primetime.. NA gets a Q

as times goes on and the servers are fixed, the Qs will go away
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilBunBun wrote:
    Doing geographic dispersal is more difficult than you'd imagine, keeping the databases up to date is critical and they have to do so in a timely fashion. Its a whole new 'problem set' that they will have to solve, there are a few approaches, but most of them have nasty 'gotchas' that have to be fixed/addressed in the code base or HUGE infrastructure costs associated with them. Latency between here and say australia can SUCK, and cause your database updates to stack up. Which means tons of problems with mission updates, messages in groups, etc. Unless you make players ONLY play on their geographic location that's closest (the diablo blizzard model).

It's something I'm sure they'll work on, however the changes and architecture tasks are ENORMOUS. Not something you'll see soon (unless they do the blizzard diablo thing).

THIS

Servers VS Databse times

Servers spread out can improve ping, but then you'd need a sort of "running database" that saves to the main one after x minutes and if it crashes within that window, well there would be much QQ, otherwise the bandwidth would be eaten just from db updates, thus defeating the purpose
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kristov wrote: »
    Did you miss the part where they said since the server CRASHED, they decided to go ahead and take advantage of the unexpected downtime to do the maint/patch application NOW since the situation is perfect for it?

Yeah, and then you have idiots like the below...
    Hash420 wrote:
    Yet again you have made a very great way of calling a random crash into a early maintenance... bravo... bravo......

Now I know why everyone is making fun of the "Star Trek Offline" lol

It's been acknowledged as a crash. They decided, since the servers crashed and they probably had to call in the people who'd be running the maintainance at TRIBBLE o' clock in the morning, they may as well do it now and let those folks actually sleep. Strikes me as a prudent use of opportunity and resources.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *ahem*

<.<
    >.>

fixt

ONE oither thing to note, it's unlikely that the GMs are actually the server admins/devs, so their info can lag a bit, they are usually customer support guys with a 'line' to the devs/admins. However during these times, good customer support people try to stay out of the way of the REALLY REALLY busy systems admins and build and release teams. That's why information often lags a bit.

Just figured you guys might like to know that.

Also when you're rushed it's EASY to make a 10PM == 10AM typo.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whitman911 wrote: »
    Any chance we can keep things civil? A lot of people serving in the Forces, we don't make choices in policy, we just follow orders.

I wasnt bashing the armed forces. Just that one guy and making a point to his ignorance and bigotry
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rimor wrote: »
    Boo, the miniature giant Space Hamster walks in, and takes a gander at the monstrous piles of dead hamsters surrounding the central server. He looks around at all stunned system administrators, as they wander around aimlessly, looking for live hamsters to feed the ravenous tread-mill.

Boo fishes out the last traces of Tribble flesh, with a tooth pick, and then clicks his tongue.

The administrator gaze at him in awe!

"Alright, here's my fee, geek heads. 100 Tribbles a day, and I'll keep your server up and running. Oh, and I need you to find Minsc a hamster to play with ... do we have a deal?!!"

The chief OS administrator glumly nods his head.

"Right. Now where's that tread-mill?!

roflmao That's hilarious!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I finally went to the forums after spending quite a while, trying to log on (since it was not suppose to go down for another 4 hours).

After finally finding this thread, I read that they are down for PATCH early. They could not have put that on the LOGIN screen where it just kept you at teh CONNECT until it timed out.

Guess their programmers (and I can say this, being a retired software engineer) are not well versed in customer relations. Probably did not even occur to them to change the server log-in screen with a friendly "WE ARE DOWN" message.

Oh well, I am done venting now. And yes, I DO feel better.

Lance
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im only 1000 skill points away from Captain! My plan was to do a couple missions, get the rank, pick my Defiant, and go to bed by midnight since I have to work in the AM... Well thats out the window! NOOOOO!

*Grabs a phaser and shoots a tribble*

*Brews 3 pots of coffee*

Ok be back in an hour! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sternus wrote:
    Dont waste your breath they thrive on chewing on us.

Don't feed the fire my friend :) It's impossible to prove them wrong when we run around like the proverbial bull in the unfortunate china shop.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    savadious wrote: »
    SICK AND TIRED AND CRYPTIC/ATARI and STO !

Yes... I am sick and tired...

1. I was up many hours running missions since pre-release

and

2. Today I ate at a place called JOLLIBEE and now im sick !

Ya - it has nothing to so with STO ,.,,. but I just wanted everyone to know..

IM SICK AND TIRED!

- Sav out ! :D

I lol'ed. Sure its juvenile humour, but atlest its funny. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tremelai wrote: »
    I was in the United States Army once upon a time too. Your online demeanor is a discredit to the Army, the United States, and to yourself when you hurl insults anonymously.

Thank you. The trolls in this forum are ignorant and tiresome. One world one people y'all. If you don't get that then there is not much that can be said to you that will make any difference.

For me living in West Australia, the regular server maintenance starts at 7pm.... Not much I need to say about that right? This unscheduled update started at 2pm on Sunday. Not so much better.

Look I love the game (gotta say that or the freaks think you're writing in a forum waiting for a game to come back online for the heck of it) but it's really important that cryptic provide us with a better service. You can't control bugs but you can:
    * Announce maintenance in advance.
    * Rotate maintenance schedules (even a 2hr shift would be useful).
    * Fix broken quests.
    * Stop providing new content that is broken.
    * Provide larger patches that address more issues

IMO it's important that cryptic address their release mechanisms and provide better testing, more significant patches and less unscheduled downtime.

Thanks for your consideration.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VonApollo wrote:
    i dont see what everyones *****ing about in the first week was hard to get a few solid hrs together in playtime due to downtime i can watch a movie on a sat arvo and come back and play later so chill ppl the ingame stabilty is getting better and downtimes are getting fewer in a few weeks these outagges will be a thing of the past

*applauds* I second this comment. People are quick to jump when things go wrong but then not realise that the problems of last week were worse and the week before even more worse. Translation ? It means things are improving as they increase capacity and iron out bugs that they never came across or were never reported ( my brothers are always forgetting to do this part *sigh* ) during the internal testing, closed beta testing, open beta testing and headstart playing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    I wasnt bashing the armed forces. Just that one guy and making a point to his ignorance and bigotry

Free country:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I got promoted to Rear Admiral shortly before the server went down. Sorry everyone.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whitman911 wrote: »
    Don't feed the fire my friend :) It's impossible to prove them wrong when we run around like the proverbial bull in the unfortunate china shop.

Yeah yer right.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad they're doing the patch at this time.

(Yes, thats right! My first ever (out of all the trolling), positive feed back about Cryptic!)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KazDP wrote:
    Actually, there are server farms in the world such as the ones microsoft, apple, government, and many other major internet accessed firms use that handle 1000x more bandwidth as an MMO such as this will handle. Also there not spread all over the world, there giant server farms inside a super cooled facility. So yes, they can put all there eggs in one basket. Just give them time to work out the untested issue that couldn't be ironed out in beta. Be patient for the next month or so and I bet issues will look minor.

Yeah, there called nodes, they just take whatever coming in and amp it out, or distribute data within or between another node.

But it seems they are more on a amp that feeds into the node, it can only take so much before the bandwidth over flows the pipe and causes a burst (like the last time we had MAJOR lag and it was blamed on the ISP cryptic is using).

I still think multi-mini servers vs a huge server map (Like most MMORPG's out there ranging from Ultima Online back in the day to WOW, Perfect World International, ect.)

Why cryptic wanted to try something new that never really works that well I will never know lol

"Being unique does not necessarily mean your useful."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Something you guys aren't understanding is that although the devs most likely told the investors that the game wasn't finished and there were tons of bugs left unfixed by the released date, they had to go live due to their contract. Just relax, take a breath or two and know that the devs are indeed working toward fixing this. This is Star Trek, there's no way they're going to not fix it, there's just too much at stake.

Also, please know that there is no MMO that's ever released without bugs or crashes. Look it up, when EverQuest released it spent more time down than it did up for the first few months. Anarchy Online, Starwars Galaxies, City of Hero's, Lineage I and II plus many more had issues at launch, it's just the nature of the beast. I won't doubt that these issues will get fixed and most likely within a couple of months. Just chill out guys, this game can only get better!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilBunBun wrote:
    ONE oither thing to note, it's unlikely that the GMs are actually the server admins/devs, so their info can lag a bit, they are usually customer support guys with a 'line' to the devs/admins. However during these times, good customer support people try to stay out of the way of the REALLY REALLY busy systems admins and build and release teams. That's why information often lags a bit.

Just figured you guys might like to know that.

Also when you're rushed it's EASY to make a 10PM == 10AM typo.

EvilBunBun? Any relation to EvilBunny? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.