Install Arc
Options

EU players 2nd rate already?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Derb wrote:
    im from europe GMT+1 too but i've no problem with the downtime at 12:00 but seriously.. is it really neccessary to have a maintenance downtime every day?
    once a week would be ok but every day? oO

That's usual in the headtime- and early phase of a game, when still a big bunch of important bugs and issues have to be fixed on an actual daily base. Give it a couple of weeks, then it will get smoothed down and maintenance will be far less often. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tavos wrote:
    It is very funny if you think about it, the maintenance is at a God awful time in the U.S. , Although a much better time would have been about 10pm U.S. time after all they would have had 12 hours play time already whilst we have 6 hours if you go to bed at 12pm then start at 9am and get 2 hours till 11am for a total of 8 hours. (then many Americans would be complaining).

And what if the maintenance goes wrong? who cares it is in European time!

I personally get the feeling though that Europe will allways be second rate in this game, we were on original information regarding orders, we were with regards to the headstart start time, we are with pre-order bonuses (no reason why we could not get the game the same time as the U.S. just because of when Europe traditionally does releases) ,and now we have this server maintenance at a time which is very stupid for a U.S. timezone that is -8 GMT, I mean who wants to work at 3AM in the morning!

You will find most flames from U.S. players no doubt by the way as it is in their interest.

O.K. rant over , now for the thoughtful part... It is very possible that Cryptic only came up with for a fix for the various issues very recently, and figured that some notice of the servers going down would be nice for all those very nice people that have bought their game and are playing it, and so far on the whole seem to be enjoying it (after all if you were not you would not be bothered if you could not play it ! ).

Well i am not nin the US, and i do not have a problem with it, even though it is 10PM here, my prime playing time.

No matter when they bring servers down it will be someone that lose out... that is the problem with not having the same time across the whole earth....

Stop whinging and get a weekend job, that way you will be working when they bring the servers down :P
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Suricata wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd say this is the ideal time for maintence, most people in the States are alseep and most Europeans will be having lunch. Really does feel like the dest time to do it.

Agreed 100%... wait why 'am I not in bed yet!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Katarine wrote:
    My apologies, the specific posts I quoted specifically referred to Europe, so I only used that as an example. I am well aware there are many players from other parts of the world too. Would actually be very interesting to see the actual demography of the STO playerbase. Anyone got the time to try make a chart, or something?

No need to apologise, im just a sarcastic annoying person generally :) Oops I forgot India :0

It would be interesting to see, but I guess only cryptic will really know and then the number will change as soon as people need to monthly sub.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I dont mind the downtime for upgrades at any time of day in EU, as long as it iproves chances of being able to log in and play. Lets hope this game improves with each passing day and carry's on for a long time! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    well lets see, being made in America, based in America, and having most of your subscribers in America....

Face it, someone is going to be missing out when servers come down, there are 24 prime times a day but it seems that only the Europeans demand to be catered to, I've noticed this allot in beta as well, European players are the most high and mighty people I've met in this game.

Nice to se how you generalize an entire continent.

There are good players and a few bad players no matter what country or continent we come from.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Powner wrote:
    So you mean that we from Europe are second rate customers?

No, I mean the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Also, just to clarify something, this is the time I have available to play as well, even being in NA.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thats the problem with the world, someone is always going to get the short straw...ah well...comon server back up soon time please comon ahhhhh (completely lost my train of thought here :P)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    vulcor wrote: »
    Nice to se how you generalize an entire continent.

There are good players and a few bad players no matter what country or continent we come from.

Why not? all we ever hear are "Americans are Bullies" "Americans think they can do what they want" "Americans are taking over Hati" well... maybe that last one was just the french.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    Europe should have another war with itself, a big one. So we can have a new plot device to make games off of.

I'll invade france for you if you like, shouldn't be too hard hmmm. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ELITE-Kaos wrote: »
    Just to say that bringing the game down on a Saturday morning at 11am until 1pm is completly fubar!

Is this to become the norm that we EU players get downtime during our prime time? Why not try this during the USA's daytime hours? Affraid of all the hate that would generate?

Please try to find a time that would not impose on either set of players...

Now I have to go shopping :(

Go outside and enjoy the sun... eer mean snow :cool:

As long the downtime improve the game i don't care when they do it
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There is not going to be a time that everyone is satisfied with. Ever. I'm in the EU as well and I don't mind the downtime right now. The ones getting the short end of the stick are our Aussie friends, not us.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm in the EU - I'll admit that a 11AM to 1PM downtime isn't fantastic but hey - if they need to do the maint then let them do it.

Sure it inconveniences EVERYONE but compare 2hrs of downtime rather than 4hrs+ due to NOT doing the maint.

I'm just glad they are doing the maint, I'm glad they are keeping on top of things because I can always find something else to do for 2hrs.

Ark :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    the OP must have too.

So you agree that both sides of the Atlantic can act as high and mighty as each other?

However, I am sorry that your encounter with some European players has tarnished your opinion of the entire continent. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    During closed beta and open beta, the American players endured a lot of primetime downtimes. Don't be greedy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll invade france for you if you like, shouldn't be too hard hmmm. :p

So long as you get Germany and Russia involved... ok Italy can come too but no Croatia, we don't want any of our party spots wrecked by anyone but us.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    Europe should have another war with itself, a big one. So we can have a new plot device to make games off of.

yeah.. maybe it'll be the next step in the US masterplan to terrorize and bring war to the world :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm in the UK and yeah it sucks a bit, but hey, you cant please everyone and 2 hours isnt the end of the world is it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just to say that bringing the game down on a Saturday morning at 11am until 1pm is completly fubar!

Is this to become the norm that we EU players get downtime during our prime time? Why not try this during the USA's daytime hours? Affraid of all the hate that would generate?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. \m/ I'm kinda glad because it means I'll do the dishes instead of sitting playing star trek!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Arkane78 wrote: »
    I'm in the EU - I'll admit that a 11AM to 1PM downtime isn't fantastic but hey - if they need to do the maint then let them do it.

Sure it inconveniences EVERYONE but compare 2hrs of downtime rather than 4hrs+ due to NOT doing the maint.

I'm just glad they are doing the maint, I'm glad they are keeping on top of things because I can always find something else to do for 2hrs.

Ark :)

yeah my thoughts exactly

like playin Mass Effect 2 again ^^
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    Why not? all we ever hear are "Americans are Bullies" "Americans think they can do what they want" "Americans are taking over Hati" well... maybe that last one was just the french.

Well come on mate, you did not really think Iraq was about world peace did you??? to some extent you have to agree that your government does some weird stuff sometimes....But that would be like every other government....

I just read that the Australian government paid 2 dudes 20 million to travel aroudn for 5 years, building sand castles to find out which beach had the best sand to make sand castles with??????????? WTF????

Anywho :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yep get used to this or find an overseas game company not a U.S. based one that will cater to YOUR play time.

1)This is a U.S. based game.
    2)This is a U.S. based company
    3)This is a U.S. based franchise.
    4)[edit]
    5)"Prime Time" revolves around U.S. schedules because when most Americans are off work is when the servers are most crowded which means the majority of users are U.S. based. Therefore, when they take the server down for maintenance it will be done in accordance with when the LEAST amount of players will be affected by it. Unfortunately for our overseas friends that means it will be during your peak time possibly and not U.S. peak time. Sorry.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As theyve said MANY time before, the firsst few weeks of retail will be irratic in regards to downtime. They want to get the game stable as possible before they settle on a confirmed schedule. Just like every single other MMO out there.

Be happy though, the launch could have gone as badly as wow's did.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    is maintenance going to be daily, weekly? I seriously hope weekly maintenance will not be saturday every week, that's just ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Derb wrote:
    yeah.. maybe it'll be the next step in the US masterplan to terrorize and bring war to the world :rolleyes:

Buddy you just gotta look at us as the big, lovable oaf that thinks everyone wants to be his friend. We just wanna come over and drink a few beers and show ya how we can throw a football over that mountain.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tbh as a Eu player my biggest concern isnt the 2 hour downtime at this hour, tough id prefer it if the downtime was 2 hours earlier..

My biggest concern is that even tough the cryptic server is supposedly located in boston, I get a insanely unstabile 190-260 ping from norway. ( changes between those numbers at a mad rate >.< )

As opposed to the 130-150 ping I should be getting.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:

I'm French and I have a lot of wonderful Americans friends, IRL and on the net. Maybe there's a reason why *you* hear such stereotypes all the time :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tricksty wrote:
    Well come on mate, you did not really think Iraq was about world peace did you??? to some extent you have to agree that your government does some weird stuff sometimes....But that would be like every other government....

I just read that the Australian government paid 2 dudes 20 million to travel aroudn for 5 years, building sand castles to find out which beach had the best sand to make sand castles with??????????? WTF????

Anywho :)

Dude thats so out of place. No reason to start a political debate because of a server maintenence.

really just open a new thread if you want to start a political flaming/Discussion
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Evilpro wrote: »
    Why would they alternate it instead of sticking to a steady schedule? Also, there is more customers in CA/US than in Europe.

There's not much you can say to change the attitude of people like this. I am in UK and I got up and went shopping at 7:30 this morning so I could game this morning afternoon. By the time I was home and did a few bits of house stuff I got 30 mins before the servers went off. Its cool though. Its 3 am in PST so most in US will be asleep now. I got my fix at 6 pm when most US were at work still so its fine. The guys in Aus/NZ are getting it pretty bad though they got pretty much all their Saturday to play.

Its a small price to pay to have global servers though. I'd just like a little more warning on the downtimes though. If I had known yesterday I could have had a couple of hours and done the shopping now, most people fit in their gaming around other stuff so a bit more notice would help us all.

This discussion has been closed.