Install Arc
Options

EU players 2nd rate already?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Jazzman wrote: »
    But to Galandrias i want to say: What makes you think that more Americans play STO then EU players? The EU is the biggest Market in the World for PC Games since the average American does not have the High-Tech PC that is required for most modern games and we have alltogether as many Citizens in our Nations combined then the US. So, If you have any facts and precise Numbers about how many STO Game Items have been sold in the US and the EU (which i doubt you have), feel free to post them to bolster up your claim otherwise i would say that this is just wishful thinking coming from thin air. ;)

I wouldn't say entirely in thin air, if you make some general assumptions about maintenance windows on systems. Typically if a system is going to have to have a maintenance window, it will be during it's off-peak hours. Off peak meaning the lightest load time on the system, and thus the least amount of impact. By taking that assumption, and assuming Cryptic is following it, one can conclude that the time in question happens to be the lightest load time.

Will some people be impacted? Sure. However with the configuration of a single server, that can't be helped.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Syhn wrote:
    You gotta be kidding me... This is Star Trek Online not some political forum. Take your USA bashing elsewhere, fruitcake.

In the french guy's defense, we did swear up and down that we would give each and ever boy and girl in Iraq Bluejeans and a puppy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bladeriel wrote:
    I really thought that it can't get any worse than OB forums.. how wrong i was.

Just wait until retail. You will be astounded. :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Western Australia here - Downtime 7pm to 9pm which is my prime time.

I will just go do something else, this a game, life is what is important.

Get a grip.

See you all on the dark side of the moon

Freelandr

=/\= Live Long & Prosper:D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I should take this moment to mention there is a 129mb patch up.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Folks, I started this thread so we could have a fun but productive debate about the times, please no flaming each other. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Freelandr wrote: »
    Western Australia here - Downtime 7pm to 9pm which is my prime time.

I will just go do something else, this a game, life is what is important.

Get a grip.

See you all on the dark side of the moon

Freelandr

=/\= Live Long & Prosper:D

Maybe explain Australian Rules Football to the unwashed masses? :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They should downtime once a week scheduled on a time that suits most costumers like late night tuesday pst, early morning wednesday gmt. This way hardly anyone notices...
    It's the unscheduled stuff that bothers and really isn't professional at all. If you pay, you should be able to play. Not everyone has 40+ hours a week available to play whenever they want and if an unscheduled downtime appears in your small window of opportunity then it could easely lead to a frustrated and quitting customer.

Dancing Tiger
    Light Cruiser
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ELITE-Kaos wrote: »
    Folks, I started this thread so we could have a fun but productive debate about the times, please no flaming each other. :)

Just to say that bringing the game down on a Saturday morning at 11am until 1pm is completly fubar!

Is this to become the norm that we EU players get downtime during our prime time? Why not try this during the USA's daytime hours? Affraid of all the hate that would generate?

No. No you didn;t. At all.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    I'm French and I have a lot of wonderful Americans friends, IRL and on the net. Maybe there's a reason why *you* hear such stereotypes all the time :rolleyes:

I would not be talking about stereotypes being true is I were French. 'Specially if I were French.

"Look a German Boy Scout troop" France Surrenders. :) But thanks for the help with the Revolution, the middle part of our continent spanning country, and Creme' Brule

Once they get stable it'll probably once a week, or two weeks even. I'm just glad it's a planned outage.

And yes we do work at 0500. Even on weekends, somtimes on Sunday too. 50 weeks a year.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe explain Australian Rules Football to the unwashed masses? :)

Does it involve tackling and sodomizing Crocodiles, cause that's all we ever see of your country. Understandable tho, you used to be a prison colony ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I completely agree.
    The time the server goes down is no problem for me personally, likes others have said time to eat drink and empty the snake ;)
    also for me prime time would be later on at night probably about 7pm till midnight.
    IMO no matter how much it upsets some people they are not gunna change the time the do maintenance !!!

Lets just all calm down and await the restart :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Actually taking two hours out is a good thing for me - it means my kids get fed! :D

I've tidied the house, made the beds, played games with the children, made dinner for the whole family and all so I can be left alone for the rest of the day.

Dr. S.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    patching client ...

server up /cheer :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ITT
    Europeans are reminded why they owe america/canada for making sure they all don't speak german.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would not be talking about Sterotype being true is I were French. 'Specially if I were French.

"Look a German Boy Scout troop" France Surrenders. :)

Once they get stable it'll probably once a week, or two weeks even. I'm just glad it's a planned outage.

And yes we do work at 0500. Even on weekends.

I dunno, I seem to remember hearing something about them winning more battles in the last thousand years than any other nation on the planet which is quite an achievement. However, TRIBBLE it up once and that's the one that people remember. :rolleyes:

However, we did give them a damn good thrashing at Trafalgar which was payback for A.D. 1066. :D

Not being Simon Sharma (a historian) I can not confirm anything presented here as fact outside the confines of my brain.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Derb wrote:
    patching client ...

server up /cheer :)

Yep. 2 hour maintenance planned, up 45 minutes early. Yay Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hope this kind of things won't happen often, it's indeed very damaging for EU players self esteem. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    See, the problem we have with these wild claims that "Most of the players are in US" is that, in the game-which-mustn't-be-named, there's approx. 2.5 million players on US servers, which is NAm, SAm and Oceania, and 2.0 million players on EU servers, which is Eu mainland, Russia, Africa and west Asia. So even if you're factually probably correct, the margin is not going to be as big as you think it is. It's not the good of the few vs the many, but the slightly fewer vs most.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    44% re-downloaded via Steam... 6 hours to go, then Hera knows how much more patching to do, and you guys ***** at each other that you can't play for the next 2 hours. Wish I had your problems :P

But yeah 12-14 my time ain't much fuss. SOme of us do have a life, need to do other things, and this ain't prime time. ALso on week days it's primetime only for kids absent from schools, so it's best possible time of day.

And please, don't make yet another MMO forums into "my country is better then yours" I got enough of *****ings like this on TV. Can we just compete in "my governement is more corrupt and incompetent then yours"? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lohani wrote:
    See, the problem we have with these wild claims that "Most of the players are in US" is that, in the game-which-mustn't-be-named, there's approx. 2.5 million players on US servers, which is NAm, SAm and Oceania, and 2.0 million players on EU servers, which is Eu mainland, Russia, Africa and west Asia. So even if you're factually probably correct, the margin is not going to be as big as you think it is. It's not the good of the few vs the many, but the slightly fewer vs most.

.5 million x $15 a month= 7.5 million in cash a month. That's enough to make the decision on, but you comparasion is false because you game that must not be named has servers in each region.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Look a German Boy Scout troop" France Surrenders. :) But thanks for the help with the Revolution, the middle part of our continent spanning country, and Creme' Brule

You forgot afternoon sex and thongs which are two of the major improvements to human race. :D

Much more important than A Bomb or computers, who can argue with that ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jazzman wrote: »
    In general i think that they chose the time for their maintenance well. With one server for the whole world you can't make it right for everyone! I rather have such downtimes beofre or round about lunchtime then later when i have time to play after work.

But to Galandrias i want to say: What makes you think that more Americans play STO then EU players? The EU is the biggest Market in the World for PC Games since the average American does not have the High-Tech PC that is required for most modern games and we have alltogether as many Citizens in our Nations combined then the US. So, If you have any facts and precise Numbers about how many STO Game Items have been sold in the US and the EU (which i doubt you have), feel free to post them to bolster up your claim otherwise i would say that this is just wishful thinking coming from thin air. ;)

I know you spoke this to Galandrias But I'll attempt to answer you. Try logging into the server from the hours 4pm EST-12am EST(you see, that's when most North Americans are off work and able to play). Now Try logging into the server during, oh say, Europe's peak hours. If it doesn't become apparent to you at that point where the majority of players are coming from then I can't reason with you. I know this because I play during BOTH time frames and I can tell you that playing with the Europeans gives me WAYY less lag and I can actually log into the server without waiting. Now you can deduce the rest.

As far as your comment about Europeans having better computers and being more gamey. Umm maybe you don't know this but the computer industry is largely based in America as well as the majority of MMO's. If what you said was really factual then we'd see European based companies like Microsoft, Dell, HP, Alien Ware, Sun systems, Blizzard, SOE, Cryptic, etc. and game companies by the lots pumping out games like the U.S. does. This simply is not the case. The U.S. is the largest market for the gaming industry followed closely by Asia in terms of MMOs. Europe comes in third.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just to say that bringing the game down on a Saturday morning at 11am until 1pm is completly fubar!

Is this to become the norm that we EU players get downtime during our prime time? Why not try this during the USA's daytime hours? Affraid of all the hate that would generate?

Please try to find a time that would not impose on either set of players...

Now I have to go shopping :(

Their working a weekend to fix some glithces and your whining ?

Go for a walk, play another or something. Two hours is hardly the end of the world.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Merel wrote:
    You forgot afternoon sex and thongs which are two of the major improvements to human race. :D

Much more important than A Bomb or computers, who can argue with that ?

How the hell could I forget thongs <face palm>, I'm gettin' old.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Xanusus wrote: »
    I The U.S. is the largest market for the gaming industry followed closely by Asia in terms of MMOs. Europe comes in third.

Even if it's true, doesn't make Europe something to neglect. I'm sure they are making lots of money here, they can't afford to loose either.

And I'm pretty sure sure they know that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    smc4175 wrote: »
    Their working a weekend to fix some glithces and your whining ?

Go for a walk, play another or something. Two hours is hardly the end of the world.

Agreed! Or take a long lunchbreak including stocking up on stuff to snack on for tonites gaming?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes i would expect that to become the Norm i mean when the servers went down during US prime time during OB theres was an uproar from the Americans about it, so i expect itll be EU that suffers as usual.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Problem is, with a single server they have to pick an hour for maintenance. Could be OK if it was not on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

When you've been up all night, you are glad to have a nap thena correct lunch :D
This discussion has been closed.