Install Arc
Options

EU players 2nd rate already?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    .5 million x $15 a month= 7.5 million in cash a month. That's enough to make the decision on, but you comparasion is false because you game that must not be named has servers in each region.

I think they were trying to demonstrate that the population numbers might not be as scewed as some people were suggesting.

However, I was wondering if that which must not be named's income from a region depended upon exchange rates? UK players paying in pounds sterling and mainland Europe paying in Euros.

A game might have less players in one region, but could theoretically generate more dollars per month than another region which has more players.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, we got to start straight after work, Friday evening. Well, most of us.

The majority of US players had to wait (probably more than two) hours to get home.

I still think we're winning ^^

And yeah, was playing til five this morning, so got my fill last night; I can wait ten more minutes, hehe.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Isharik wrote: »
    I think they were trying to demonstrate that the population numbers might not be as scewed as some people were suggesting.

However, I was wondering if that which must not be named's income from a region depended upon exchange rates? UK players paying in pounds sterling and mainland Europe paying in Euros.

A game might have less players in one region, but could theoretically generate more dollars per month than another region which has more players.

I'm sure exchange rate is always a factor, but my understanding is it's always the equivalent to the US rate so it could be 11 quid, or $18 in Canada, or 40000 yen , or whatever.

Yeah, but I have an issue with half a million subscribers being dismissed, that's a significant amount of subscribers even in a game with 10 to 12 million.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, the normal maintenance times for CO are 1pm to 3pm my time, if I remember correctly. I don't mind those times if they're in the middle of the week. Most of us are at work or school at those times anyway.

Hopefully this weekend downtime is just a headstart-thing, and not the normal schedule.

Evilpro wrote: »
    Why would they alternate it instead of sticking to a steady schedule? Also, there is more customers in CA/US than in Europe.

Show me the numbers please. I'm not buying that at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Show me the numbers please. I'm not buying that at all.[/QUOTE]

Think about it a second. During Euro prime time in Beta, no connection/lag issues. US primetime, servers slow down to nothing and its epic lag time. Main market for this game is in the US.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Our love for startrek must scale adversity, bad plots and server downtime.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure exchange rate is always a factor, but my understanding is it's always the equivalent to the US rate so it could be 11 quid, or $18 in Canada, or 40000 yen , or whatever.

Yeah, but I have an issue with half a million subscribers being dismissed, that's a significant amount of subscribers even in a game with 10 to 12 million.

True true, the price is usually fixed roughly in comparison with the US dollar when the game goes live, but remains at that price throughout the game's life. At least I can't remember any time when a pricing structure has been rounded down (I can remember Ultima Online's price being increased).

Usually when the exchange rate shifts is when you tend to see threads appearing with titles along the lines of "We're paying x amount more than [insert nationality] [insert random insult picking on a particular stereotype of said nationality]."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    iam not happy with the down time but its necessary evil
    But now hurry hurry :D soz Cryptic its your own fault making a game i like this much:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    it`s a worldwide game, someone somewhere is going to get annoyed with a downtime.

im uk and it hits me as well, a break from the game and the possibility of seeing daylight for a change is not so hard to bear. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Freelandr wrote: »
    Western Australia here - Downtime 7pm to 9pm which is my prime time.

I will just go do something else, this a game, life is what is important.

Get a grip.

See you all on the dark side of the moon

Freelandr

=/\= Live Long & Prosper:D

Yup on the east coast of Australia its 9pm-11pm or 10pm-12pm if you are in the southern east coast. It will always affect some players more than others.
This discussion has been closed.