Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Is this OK? …
    AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.22Ghz
    3GB RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce 8200
    Upgrade the GPU to a 9600 or better. Make sure the PSU support's it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So would …
    Intel Atom N330 Dual Core
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA ION (Includes Nvidia's GeForce 9400M chipset)
    … Be OK?
    Netbooks are not design for gaming. That being said the ION will let you play this game but not that high settings. Probable at medium settings.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks cipher_nemo,

I've been meaning to grab a new rig and this game may be the deciding factor. Only problem I have is that my rig works fine for everything else I use it for (including wow). Decisions decisions. However, you can grab a pretty nice rig for a grand from Dell.

Whatever happens I'll be following along!!!
    Thanks again

Save yourself $400.00.
    I just order my next build for $641.00

1 x ($79.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H RT - Retail $79.99

1 x ($54.99) HD 500G|SEAGATE ST3500418AS % - OEM $54.99

1 x ($49.99) GIFT XFX COD4 % - OEM $49.99

1 x ($6.99) CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G % - OEM $6.99

1 x ($96.99) MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R - Retail $96.99

1 x ($84.99) CASE RAIDMAX|ATX-612WEBP BK 500W RT - Retail $84.99

1 x ($189.99) VGA XFX|GX260XADJC GTX260 896M RT - Retail $189.99

1 x ($102.00) CPU AMD|PH II X2 550 AM3 3.1G RT - Retail $102.00

1 x ($28.99) DVD BURNER LG | GH22NS50 BK SATA % - OEM $28.99

1 x ($-15.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #280431$-15.00

Did a little reserch on cpu and found out it has 2 disabled cores that you could possibly unlock if you hav a gigabyte mobo and reflash the bios. Quad core for an dual core price also eazy to oc.

So if your mechanicly inclined and follow directions you can get an upgradable system for less than $1k.
    But if that $1k is burning a hole in your pocket you build something better than what you can get from dell. just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith, the CPU and video card look good.
    epsmith wrote:
    Did a little reserch on cpu and found out it has 2 disabled cores that you could possibly unlock if you hav a gigabyte mobo and reflash the bios. Quad core for an dual core price also eazy to oc.

Was that a rumor you read or did someone lay out the specifics with a guide including CPU spec numbers?
    epsmith wrote:
    So if your mechanicly inclined and follow directions you can get an upgradable system for less than $1k.
    But if that $1k is burning a hole in your pocket you build something better than what you can get from dell. just my 2 cents.

Yup, I'd recommend building a PC rather than ordering a pre-built one from Dell or so. And if he can't build a PC or doesn't want to try (understandable), he should definitely get a friend or local shop to help him.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Netbooks are not design for gaming. That being said the ION will let you play this game but not that high settings. Probable at medium settings.

Replying a little late there, White Knight? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It took forever to get the landlord to pay the bill. I am back now. cipher_nemo been a buzz bee.:D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Was that a rumor you read or did someone lay out the specifics with a guide including CPU spec numbers?"
    Quote from Cypher_Nemo

I was origanlly going to go with a 955 x4 black and after reading the reviews on newegg I cme accross a thread about the 550 and how some of the cpu's didn't pass qc standards for quad core state that they decided to disable the 3rd and 4th cores and sell them as dual cores.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184444/phenom-ii-x2-550-black-edition-surprise

Here's the link on the how to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKVYW4duiU
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey, as I've mentioned before, I'm planning on making a large upgrade to my computer next year before STO launches with the aim of being able to play it at the highest settings.

If I follow the 'recommended' specs to the letter, will this be possible? Or will I have to go a stage beyond that to be able to run the highest settings.

I ask, because my lappy is moderately powered and has a Core 2 duo and 9200m nVidia card in it, with 3GB RAM and can only run Champions at barely above the lowest settings. My compy can't run Champs at all right now, 'cos it's single core with integrated graphics - so what is really the best move to making it capable of running STO and Champs full pelt?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:
    "Was that a rumor you read or did someone lay out the specifics with a guide including CPU spec numbers?"
    Quote from Cypher_Nemo

I was origanlly going to go with a 955 x4 black and after reading the reviews on newegg I cme accross a thread about the 550 and how some of the cpu's didn't pass qc standards for quad core state that they decided to disable the 3rd and 4th cores and sell them as dual cores.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184444/phenom-ii-x2-550-black-edition-surprise

I've just did this with my system. I now have a quad-core.:D I known about this since the Phenom first came out but I forgot all about unlocking them. I was using a 939 MB till two months ago. My liquid cooler blew-up and killed my MB and GPU. No more liquid cooling for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It took forever to get the landlord to pay the bill. I am back now. cipher_nemo been a buzz bee.:D

Yup, having a hobby in PC hardware is both a blessing and a curse, lol. Oh well, I enjoy helping out where I can.
    epsmith wrote:

Very cool! :) Thanks for sharing. I learned something today. :D
    DoctorOak wrote: »
    (...) so what is really the best move to making it capable of running STO and Champs full pelt?

Ah, someone who wants to run the highest settings with a new build? Let me offer what sort of build I'd do for STO if I had to build a system just for it to run at max settings, but without unnecessary expenditures. I won't give absolute specifics on some things, but I'll give you component models and categories.
    • Case: This is completely up to you, but I'd recommend a well-ventilated case from Antec (mid to high end models), Lian-Li (all models), or Thermaltake (high end models only).
    • Motherboard: Asus (for Intel or AMD CPUs) or EVGA (Intel only CPUs). Really, I'd stick with one of these two brands for maximum performance, overclocking, and reliability. Asus top-end boards are exceptional, but their mid and low-end boards are questionable. EVGA only makes mid and top-end boards, but the top-end boards are where they shine (TR models, A1 models, and Classified series). A1 models get you the lifetime warranty, and avoid the Classified series unless you have money to burn. For Asus, avoid the Striker or Extreme series unless you have money to burn. Also, avoid "workstation" class Asus boards for gaming (they don't overclock as well as their gaming boards, but are very reliable).
    • CPU: Intel Core i5 (budget) or Core i7 (lowest model available) or AMD Phenom II X4 (lowest model available in the Black Edition series). Always get the lowest speed model in each class if only the speed varies (ie: cache size, QPI speed is the same, etc.). You'll be able to overclock them to match and beat even the top-end stock speeds for the exponentially more expensive models.
    • CPU Cooler: Choose a mid to top-end Thermalright, Scythe, Arctic Cooling, or Tuniq cooler. Or choose only top-end models for Thermaltake, Silverstone, or Coolermaster coolers. No need for Zalman, as you're paying for the name, and they've been outpaced by many others recently.
    • Memory: If you get a Core i7, you'll be needing triple-channel DDR3-1600 memory. For the Core i5 or AMD, dual-channel DDR2 memory is what you'll need. I'd highly recommend both Corsair and OCZ for overclocking performance and reliability. Corsair is a little better for reliability, but sometimes OCZ has a deal that's just too good to pass up. Kingston is, well, the king when it comes to stock speed performance and reliability. For overclocking, always go with Corsair or OCZ, but no need to buy their super-fancy model memory kits with excessive cooling fins. Some people have their own brand favorites (ie: G-Skill, Patriot, etc.), but Corsair and OCZ are the ones setting records. Go with the fastest (lowest latency) modules you can get from either without getting into the "fin" cooler models. Memory doesn't need excessive cooling unless you're upping memory voltage, which I really don't recommend.
    • Video card: For a single monitor, high resolution gaming system I'd go either NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 w/ 2GB of memory, or ATI Radeon HD 5870. For NVIDIA card brands, EVGA, XFX, or BFG are all good. For ATI card brands, XFX, Sapphire, Diamond, and Power Cooler are all fine. Sometimes Asus will make a great card, but only for their top-end models which cost far more (ie: custom cooler, etc.). For both of these, the stock cooler is fine. No need for a dual-GPU card, SLI, or Crossfire unless you're running at a 2560x1600 resolution or multiple monitors.
    • Sound card or built-in sound: Your choice, doesn't affect performance that much.
    • Storage: If you get a top-end board, I'd seriously consider doing a RAID 0 array with two drives for your OS and games. You can add as many drives into a RAID 0 array as you want, and with drives being both inexpensive and reliable these days, there's really little reason to skip on this area. It will make a huge difference when loading Windows, running applications, launching your games, and even when moving from one area to another inside any game (ie: loading screen when switching areas). Some old-school hardware enthusiasts will say you double your risk of drive failure, but that's entirely untrue. Given the MTBF and failure rate of drives these days, it's very safe. Western Digital and Seagate have the best reliability records. I'd recommend two $90 Western Digital 1TB Black drives in a RAID 0 array. It's the cheapest way to get the most storage space at the best performance. Don't bother with top-end Western Digital Raptor drives, as two $90 Black drives in RAID 0 are cheaper, give you more space (2TB), and outperform a single, more expensive Raptor. And with a RAID array, you can still break it up into multiple partitions. I have mine in a 500GB C:\ drive for Windows 7, and a 1.5TB D:\ drive for my documents, projects, and other media. Once you go RAID 0, 5, or 10, you'll never want to go back. The performance gains are there and HDDs are cheaper than ever these days. If you do RAID 0, remember that you'll be adding space, so for example three 320GB drives in RAID 0 will give you almost 1TB of space. And the performance gains are almost a straight line (a RAID 0 of two drives is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as fast).

Avoid SSDs unless you know what you're doing (they need specific computing habits and knowledge in order to make the most of them). Many mid and low-end SSDs have stuttering problems in any OS, which is why I don't boot to mine. I boot to my regular HDD RAID array. I only use my SSDs for installing games and larger, intensive applications like Adobe Production Suite, etc. You have to know when to buy SSDs, what models to get, and keep up-to-date on flashing their firmware (before using them) and research SSD "trim". They're not for everyone. Lightning fast reads, moderate write performance, but with a lot of little, inexpensive drives in a RAID 0 array (or even RAID 5 or RAID 10), they're blazing fast.
    • Power supply: For this sort of system, I'd be installing a 750W PSU or better. Seasonic, Enermax, or PC Power & Cooling would be my top brand pics. Plenty of other good ones, but I stick to the top manufacturers. Giving your PC clean power is the most important thing you can do hardware-wise to prolonging the life of your hardware. Making sure you have plenty of overhead power helps you avoid crashes and freezes under more intensive loads (ie: gaming for 4 hours). A quality power supply will also help keep your system cooler. The better its efficiency, the cooler it will operate (less wasted electricity = less heat given off).
    • Optical drive: Totally your choice, but I'd recommend Lite-On for cheap, reliable drives. For top-end reliability with insanely good error correction, Plextor is a top choice. Though Plextor drives are not always the best performers for speed.
    • Accessories: Don't forget the goodies. Do you like a quiet PC? Add more 120mm fans and run them slower on a fan controller (typically sold as 3.5" and 5.25" bay devices). Add a $10-30 media reader in a 3.5" slot to have easy access to read memory cards of various formats like SD, MiniSD, CF, etc. Readers will take up an "internal" USB port, of which you'll most likely have two free on the motherboard (pin connectors). And if you really want to get into cleaning up your cables, get some cable sleeving kits. I always buy 2 kits for every PC I build, as I end up using more of the smaller sleeving than 1 kit has. They run about $9 each. If you're not comfortable doing this, you can always get PC shops to help you. Even some PC builders online do this for a small fee, such as Maingear.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey, as I've mentioned before, I'm planning on making a large upgrade to my computer next year before STO launches with the aim of being able to play it at the highest settings.

If I follow the 'recommended' specs to the letter, will this be possible? Or will I have to go a stage beyond that to be able to run the highest settings.

I ask, because my lappy is moderately powered and has a Core 2 duo and 9200m nVidia card in it, with 3GB RAM and can only run Champions at barely above the lowest settings. My compy can't run Champs at all right now, 'cos it's single core with integrated graphics - so what is really the best move to making it capable of running STO and Champs full pelt?

First, the hardware for recommend spec is about 2 years old. So you will be looking at Nvidia 9800 GT or better. The ATI 3850 is still being built. If you can afford it go with a better GPU. Those CPU's are still available but you my wish to go for a quad-core. With the release of Windows 7 a quad-core makes more sense now then two years ago. More programs are being design for multi-core now then two years ago.

The MB is the most important choice. It can let you upgrade your system without have to build a new system every three years. ASUS has the best support. Gigabyte and MSI have more configurations. Their BIOS are very overclockable and the Gigabyte boards can unlock AMD Phenom tp make them qaud-cores (money saving).
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ah, someone who wants to run the highest settings with a new build? Let me offer what sort of build I'd do for STO if I had to build a system just for it to run at max settings, but without unnecessary expenditures. I won't give absolute specifics on some things, but I'll give you component models and categories.
    • Case: This is completely up to you, but I'd recommend a well-ventilated case from Antec (mid to high end models), Lian-Li (all models), or Thermaltake (high end models only).
    • Motherboard: Asus (for Intel or AMD CPUs) or EVGA (Intel only CPUs). Really, I'd stick with one of these two brands for maximum performance, overclocking, and reliability. Asus top-end boards are exceptional, but their mid and low-end boards are questionable. EVGA only makes mid and top-end boards, but the top-end boards are where they shine (TR models, A1 models, and Classified series). A1 models get you the lifetime warranty, and avoid the Classified series unless you have money to burn. For Asus, avoid the Striker or Extreme series unless you have money to burn. Also, avoid "workstation" class Asus boards for gaming (they don't overclock as well as their gaming boards, but are very reliable).
    • CPU: Intel Core i5 (budget) or Core i7 (lowest model available) or AMD Phenom II X4 (lowest model available in the Black Edition series). Always get the lowest speed model in each class if only the speed varies (ie: cache size, QPI speed is the same, etc.). You'll be able to overclock them to match and beat even the top-end stock speeds for the exponentially more expensive models.
    • CPU Cooler: Choose a mid to top-end Thermalright, Scythe, Arctic Cooling, or Tuniq cooler. Or choose only top-end models for Thermaltake, Silverstone, or Coolermaster coolers. No need for Zalman, as you're paying for the name, and they've been outpaced by many others recently.
    • Memory: If you get a Core i7, you'll be needing triple-channel DDR3-1600 memory. For the Core i5 or AMD, dual-channel DDR2 memory is what you'll need. I'd highly recommend both Corsair and OCZ for overclocking performance and reliability. Corsair is a little better for reliability, but sometimes OCZ has a deal that's just too good to pass up. Kingston is, well, the king when it comes to stock speed performance and reliability. For overclocking, always go with Corsair or OCZ, but no need to buy their super-fancy model memory kits with excessive cooling fins. Some people have their own brand favorites (ie: G-Skill, Patriot, etc.), but Corsair and OCZ are the ones setting records. Go with the fastest (lowest latency) modules you can get from either without getting into the "fin" cooler models. Memory doesn't need excessive cooling unless you're upping memory voltage, which I really don't recommend.
    • Video card: For a single monitor, high resolution gaming system I'd go either NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 w/ 2GB of memory, or ATI Radeon HD 5870. For NVIDIA card brands, EVGA, XFX, or BFG are all good. For ATI card brands, XFX, Sapphire, Diamond, and Power Cooler are all fine. Sometimes Asus will make a great card, but only for their top-end models which cost far more (ie: custom cooler, etc.). For both of these, the stock cooler is fine. No need for a dual-GPU card, SLI, or Crossfire unless you're running at a 2560x1600 resolution or multiple monitors.
    • Sound card or built-in sound: Your choice, doesn't affect performance that much.
    • Storage: If you get a top-end board, I'd seriously consider doing a RAID 0 array with two drives for your OS and games. You can add as many drives into a RAID 0 array as you want, and with drives being both inexpensive and reliable these days, there's really little reason to skip on this area. It will make a huge difference when loading Windows, running applications, launching your games, and even when moving from one area to another inside any game (ie: loading screen when switching areas). Some old-school hardware enthusiasts will say you double your risk of drive failure, but that's entirely untrue. Given the MTBF and failure rate of drives these days, it's very safe. Western Digital and Seagate have the best reliability records. I'd recommend two $90 Western Digital 1TB Black drives in a RAID 0 array. It's the cheapest way to get the most storage space at the best performance. Don't bother with top-end Western Digital Raptor drives, as two $90 Black drives in RAID 0 are cheaper, give you more space (2TB), and outperform a single, more expensive Raptor. And with a RAID array, you can still break it up into multiple partitions. I have mine in a 500GB C:\ drive for Windows 7, and a 1.5TB D:\ drive for my documents, projects, and other media. Once you go RAID 0, 5, or 10, you'll never want to go back. The performance gains are there and HDDs are cheaper than ever these days. If you do RAID 0, remember that you'll be adding space, so for example three 320GB drives in RAID 0 will give you almost 1TB of space. And the performance gains are almost a straight line (a RAID 0 of two drives is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as fast).

Avoid SSDs unless you know what you're doing (they need specific computing habits and knowledge in order to make the most of them). Many mid and low-end SSDs have stuttering problems in any OS, which is why I don't boot to mine. I boot to my regular HDD RAID array. I only use my SSDs for installing games and larger, intensive applications like Adobe Production Suite, etc. You have to know when to buy SSDs, what models to get, and keep up-to-date on flashing their firmware (before using them) and research SSD "trim". They're not for everyone. Lightning fast reads, moderate write performance, but with a lot of little, inexpensive drives in a RAID 0 array (or even RAID 5 or RAID 10), they're blazing fast.
    • Power supply: For this sort of system, I'd be installing a 750W PSU or better. Seasonic, Enermax, or PC Power & Cooling would be my top brand pics. Plenty of other good ones, but I stick to the top manufacturers. Giving your PC clean power is the most important thing you can do hardware-wise to prolonging the life of your hardware. Making sure you have plenty of overhead power helps you avoid crashes and freezes under more intensive loads (ie: gaming for 4 hours). A quality power supply will also help keep your system cooler. The better its efficiency, the cooler it will operate (less wasted electricity = less heat given off).
    • Optical drive: Totally your choice, but I'd recommend Lite-On for cheap, reliable drives. For top-end reliability with insanely good error correction, Plextor is a top choice. Though Plextor drives are not always the best performers for speed.
    • Accessories: Don't forget the goodies. Do you like a quiet PC? Add more 120mm fans and run them slower on a fan controller (typically sold as 3.5" and 5.25" bay devices). Add a $10-30 media reader in a 3.5" slot to have easy access to read memory cards of various formats like SD, MiniSD, CF, etc. Readers will take up an "internal" USB port, of which you'll most likely have two free on the motherboard (pin connectors). And if you really want to get into cleaning up your cables, get some cable sleeving kits. I always buy 2 kits for every PC I build, as I end up using more of the smaller sleeving than 1 kit has. They run about $9 each. If you're not comfortable doing this, you can always get PC shops to help you. Even some PC builders online do this for a small fee, such as Maingear.
    [/QUOTE]

Wow, I assume this was a copy and paste. A lot of work went into this.:) You should check out Cooler Master ATC 840 case. This is my next case.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    New PC build.
    Had to buy a new MB and CPU today becasue I found out my old 680i LT board just wasn't going to cut it for STO.

My new specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor - 2.80GHz, Socket AM3, 2MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s),

GPU: BFG 9800GTX+ 521mb

MB: Asus M4N78 PRO

Ram: 4gigs OCZ ddr2 800mhz

Hd: WD 1tb

DVD: 20x

SC: Sound blaster 7.1

Case: RaidMax Symladon

PS: BFG 800watt sli ready

My mb and cpu are a bundle from tigerdirect $159.00 with free shipping.
    Which is replacing my old XFX 680i LT board with a Pentium D 945@ 3.34ghz
    I just got the 680i LT back on an RMA and found that the new bios they put on it no longer supports my Pentium D cpu. So it was either buy a new cpu for it or buy a new mb/cpu at the same time. I chose to buy the mb/cpu bundle as it was cheaper than it would cost me to buy just an intell cpu to work on my old board.

Now I'm hoping that the new cpu & MB will run STO when it comes out next year.
    Any thoughts? Was this a good deal or a bad one?

later
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow, I assume this was a copy and paste. A lot of work went into this.:) You should check out Cooler Master ATC 840 case. This is my next case.

Nope, all original typed text here from me. No copy and paste. Hardware changes all the time, so that doesn't lend well to keeping this sort of content static somewhere else.

Cooler Master has some great top-end cases. They're a good recommendation too. But I've only seen builds with them in-person. I've never built a PC with one, so I wouldn't recommend it without having played around with it myself. But I agree, from what we can see about the cases, they're a great choice.
    wolf421 wrote:
    New PC build.
    Had to buy a new MB and CPU today becasue I found out my old 680i LT board just wasn't going to cut it for STO.

Huh? An NForce 680i motherboard is just fine for STO since it supports both Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs. My old PC had one (but the A1 version of EVGA's 680i board) complete with a Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU. It's well above their requirements and meets their recommended specs with the right CPU on that 680i.
    wolf421 wrote:
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor - 2.80GHz, Socket AM3, 2MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s),

I don't see how that's much of an improvement over a 680i motherboard? It's close to the same thing.
    wolf421 wrote:
    GPU: BFG 9800GTX+ 521mb

Solid card. Did you know that this card is almost identical to the GTS 250? NVIDIA took their 9800 GTX+ design and pretty much repackaged it for the 250. In other words, it's a great card.
    wolf421 wrote:
    My mb and cpu are a bundle from tigerdirect $159.00 with free shipping.
    Which is replacing my old XFX 680i LT board with a Pentium D 945@ 3.34ghz
    I just got the 680i LT back on an RMA and found that the new bios they put on it no longer supports my Pentium D cpu. So it was either buy a new cpu for it or buy a new mb/cpu at the same time. I chose to buy the mb/cpu bundle as it was cheaper than it would cost me to buy just an intell cpu to work on my old board.

Now I'm hoping that the new cpu & MB will run STO when it comes out next year.
    Any thoughts? Was this a good deal or a bad one?

I think you wasted money swapping everything out. That 680i board was released when Core 2 Duo was the standard. It only supported Pentium D to be backwards compatible. You could have easily thrown a nice $160 Core 2 Quad Q8400 onto that 680i motherboard and have similar performance, if not better, compared to that Athlon II CPU...

AMD Athlon II X2 240: 2.8GHz, L2 cache: 2x 1MB, HT: 2 GHz (2x 1GHz), 2 cores
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400: 2.66GHz, L2 cache: 2x 2MB, FSB: 1.3GHz , 4 cores ($160)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300: 2.5GHz, L2 cache: 2x 2MB, FSB: 1.3GHz , 4 cores ($140)

Either way, both PCs will run STO just fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for your help, Cipher_nemo - although, what I'm really planning on doing is taking my existing computer (since it has a good motherboard in it - just not exactly the best stuff plugged into it) and slowly rebuilding it to be more of a gaming machine.

To meet this aim in time for STO, I'm really only focusing on processor, graphics card and maybe a memory upgrade (although it's got 2GB in there already, which isn't bad). I understand that stuff like overclocking (and extra cooling work because of it) is going to be pretty important to it being an optimal machine - but how far will I be able to get with just that first stage of upgrades? (Ideally, without having to resort to the latest hardware releases to keep things as cheap as possible).
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [QUOTE=cipher_nemo;1010842

Huh? An NForce 680i motherboard is just fine for STO since it supports both Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs. My old PC had one (but the A1 version of EVGA's 680i board) complete with a Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU. It's well above their requirements and meets their recommended specs with the right CPU on that 680i.

I don't see how that's much of an improvement over a 680i motherboard? It's close to the same thing.

Solid card. Did you know that this card is almost identical to the GTS 250? NVIDIA took their 9800 GTX+ design and pretty much repackaged it for the 250. In other words, it's a great card.

I think you wasted money swapping everything out. That 680i board was released when Core 2 Duo was the standard. It only supported Pentium D to be backwards compatible. You could have easily thrown a nice $160 Core 2 Quad Q8400 onto that 680i motherboard and have similar performance, if not better, compared to that Athlon II CPU...

AMD Athlon II X2 240: 2.8GHz, L2 cache: 2x 1MB, HT: 2 GHz (2x 1GHz), 2 cores
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400: 2.66GHz, L2 cache: 2x 2MB, FSB: 1.3GHz , 4 cores ($160)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300: 2.5GHz, L2 cache: 2x 2MB, FSB: 1.3GHz , 4 cores ($140)

Either way, both PCs will run STO just fine.[/QUOTE]

The 680i chipset may be fine for STO but it is a old. It doesn't support PCIE 2.0, so there will be a performance hit using a PCIE 2.0 card. That being said this board still has plenty of live in it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for your help, Cipher_nemo - although, what I'm really planning on doing is taking my existing computer (since it has a good motherboard in it - just not exactly the best stuff plugged into it) and slowly rebuilding it to be more of a gaming machine.

To meet this aim in time for STO, I'm really only focusing on processor, graphics card and maybe a memory upgrade (although it's got 2GB in there already, which isn't bad). I understand that stuff like overclocking (and extra cooling work because of it) is going to be pretty important to it being an optimal machine - but how far will I be able to get with just that first stage of upgrades? (Ideally, without having to resort to the latest hardware releases to keep things as cheap as possible).

What is your current specs?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [*]Motherboard: Asus (for Intel or AMD CPUs) or EVGA (Intel only CPUs). Really, I'd stick with one of these two brands for maximum performance, overclocking, and reliability. Asus top-end boards are exceptional, but their mid and low-end boards are questionable. EVGA only makes mid and top-end boards, but the top-end boards are where they shine (TR models, A1 models, and Classified series). A1 models get you the lifetime warranty, and avoid the Classified series unless you have money to burn. For Asus, avoid the Striker or Extreme series unless you have money to burn. Also, avoid "workstation" class Asus boards for gaming (they don't overclock as well as their gaming boards, but are very reliable).
    [/LIST]

I was at the Nvidia/EVGA Halloween party last month at Nvidia's campus in Santa Clara, Ca. EVGA was showing off their EVGA X58 and P55 Classified SLI MBs with 8 SATA ports. If I could afford it I would get it. EVGA has one of the best reps. 3 yrs warranty. 90 days upgrade program.

ASUS - Agreed. The high end MB's are great. I had the A8N32SLI-Deluxe. I loved it. Unless you get their top of the line boards they only give you 5 SATA + 1 ESATA. Since my PC is also a HTPC harddrive space is a must. My current board supports 8 SATA.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    3,25gb, amd athlon 64x2 5000+, Nvidia GeForce 8600gt.

Seems to be enough to get it running decently, until funds for some upgrades are available.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All,

With "Black Friday" upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to make an investment in a game or two that would put the laptop (I know, I know...) that I've purchased with STO in mind through its paces. I'd like to see how it handles a graphically intensive game. I'm not necessarily looking to tackle one of the games that are often used as top-line benchmarks (your Far Cries, F.E.A.R., etc.), but something between there and STO. I'm interested in something that might have been out for a year or eighteen months that would likely be between $10-$20 on a sale day like today. I'd spend up to $35, probably, if that's what achieving a legitimate "shakedown cruise" would entail.

Can anybody make recommendations on some suitable games?

For context, the specs I'm operating at:
    *Toshiba Qosmio X505
    *Core i7 720QM
    *4GB RAM
    *320GB 7200RPM Drive
    *GTS 250M/1GB RAM

With great thanks,
    Becca

• Options
    edited November 2009
    The 680i chipset may be fine for STO but it is a old. It doesn't support PCIE 2.0, so there will be a performance hit using a PCIE 2.0 card. That being said this board still has plenty of live in it.

PCI Express 2.0 is mostly marketing, but it's here for those running multiple high-end cards in SLI or Crossfire. Most cards don't even come close to saturating a PCI Express 1.0's bandwidth. Even two 8800 GTX cards can't saturate a PCI Express 1.0 bus. And I seriously doubt any single card will see performance hits on a PCI Express 1.0 bus except may be an NVIDIA GTX 295 or ATI HD 5870.

PCI Express 2.0 is here for future expansion, but also to allow enthusiasts to make the most out of 3 or 4 card SLI or Crossfire. The NForce 680i chipset is more than adequate for STO, and with the right hardware will even meet recommended specs for STO.

And don't just take my word for it. Do some research. ;) Here's a good review of it when PCI Express 2.0 was new, comparing to cards available at that time: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-meets-pci-express,1761-13.html

Point is, you really only need to worry about PCI Express 2.0 with the top-end cards in SLI or Crossfire. But even then, the performance gain is minor.
    Rethic wrote: »
    3,25gb, amd athlon 64x2 5000+, Nvidia GeForce 8600gt.

Seems to be enough to get it running decently, until funds for some upgrades are available.

Should be fine for STO, even if it's near the bottom of requirements. You'll be ok if you play around with the graphic settings.
    With "Black Friday" upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to make an investment in a game or two that would put the laptop (I know, I know...) that I've purchased with STO in mind through its paces. I'd like to see how it handles a graphically intensive game. I'm not necessarily looking to tackle one of the games that are often used as top-line benchmarks (your Far Cries, F.E.A.R., etc.), but something between there and STO.

Well, it's a matter of personal taste in what you like. But if all you're interested in is testing, free to download and play games might be ideal. First, you can always get a trial version of the benchmarking tool 3D Mark by FutureMark ("Vantage" is latest version I think). For games, download and test DDO (Dungeon's and Dragons Online) by Turbine. You can turn up the graphics settings all the way in that game to truly put your system through some grueling tests. It's a 2006 client, but it has settings that you can bump up to match 2009 clients.

I would not recommend WoW since it's an extremely old client. Any other client for an MMO with a free trial that is 2006 or later (2007+ preferable), I'd give that a shot. Try Lord of the Rings Online free for 10 days as that client will really stress your PC at higher settings. Age of Conan will also really stress your PC and is a good test, but I don't think they have free trials.

For others, pick and choose from MMORPG's list: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well I have read up on what will be required to play this game and with my current older computer I will not be able to play it.

I have a Pentium 4 processor and that from what I have read will not be able to handle the processing power needed for this game.

That is unfortunate for me since I cannot afford a new motherboard/CPU or brand new computer at all. I have the rest of the requirements needed for the game, so that is the only hold up for me.

Just too bad that I have to be on the cutting edge of technology to play a game. I really wanted to get this game since most of the other MMO's out there are either played out of just not my type of game to begin with.

I wish you all luck in the game and have fun for me. I will be missing out on something good here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kaeken wrote: »
    Well I have read up on what will be required to play this game and with my current older computer I will not be able to play it.

I have a Pentium 4 processor and that from what I have read will not be able to handle the processing power needed for this game.

That is unfortunate for me since I cannot afford a new motherboard/CPU or brand new computer at all. I have the rest of the requirements needed for the game, so that is the only hold up for me.

Just too bad that I have to be on the cutting edge of technology to play a game. I really wanted to get this game since most of the other MMO's out there are either played out of just not my type of game to begin with.

I wish you all luck in the game and have fun for me. I will be missing out on something good here.
    You have 3 months till launch. Save! List your current specs. Lets see what you needs. Re-using parts will save you money.

My last built died just under 2 months ago, my liquid cooling system burst. I have to replace MB, GPU, RAM, and CPU. I did it for under $500.00. Re-used everything else. Losing the GPU is what really hurt, it was a 9800 GT. If I didn't lose it I would have save another $150.00.

Piece buy if your have too. I was really luck, I got my CPU at Fry's on sale for $50.00. That was a $100.00 savings.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All,

With "Black Friday" upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to make an investment in a game or two that would put the laptop (I know, I know...) that I've purchased with STO in mind through its paces. I'd like to see how it handles a graphically intensive game. I'm not necessarily looking to tackle one of the games that are often used as top-line benchmarks (your Far Cries, F.E.A.R., etc.), but something between there and STO. I'm interested in something that might have been out for a year or eighteen months that would likely be between $10-$20 on a sale day like today. I'd spend up to $35, probably, if that's what achieving a legitimate "shakedown cruise" would entail.

Can anybody make recommendations on some suitable games?

For context, the specs I'm operating at:
    *Toshiba Qosmio X505
    *Core i7 720QM
    *4GB RAM
    *320GB 7200RPM Drive
    *GTS 250M/1GB RAM

With great thanks,
    Becca

You could try Mass Effect; X3 The Reunion - really long game. Big fan base. Tomb Raider Legends or Underworld. Beautiful graphics. BioShock
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How well do people think this PC will run STO?

http://www.cube247.co.uk/?customise=36
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How well do people think this PC will run STO?

http://www.cube247.co.uk/?customise=36
    It will be fine as long as you upgrade the GPU and PSU. The Intel 3100 256MB GMA Graphics will suck.
    They don't list the actual hardware in this system, so I am assuming that it's base setup is like a near low end DELL. Upgrading the CPU would be a plus too. STO recommends a E8400. That E7500 would be great. If you can go for the Q8400. If you can't afford a CPU upgrade now you can do it later since we now know it can support at least a Q8400.:D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It will be fine as long as you upgrade the GPU and PSU. The Intel 3100 256MB GMA Graphics will suck.
    They don't list the actual hardware in this system, so I am assuming that it's base setup is like a near low end DELL. Upgrading the CPU would be a plus too. STO recommends a E8400. That E7500 would be great. If you can go for the Q8400. If you can't afford a CPU upgrade now you can do it later since we now know it can support at least a Q8400.:D
    my current specs:

windows vista home premium 64 bit
    gigabyte MA780G-UD3H dual bios motherboard
    amd phenom II x4 940 3.0ghz
    8 gb fatal1ty high performance gaming memory dual sided
    x-power 600watt psu
    western digital 500 gb hdd
    RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG case
    creative sound blaster audigy 5.1
    radeon hd 4670

not bad for a gaming computer
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    can anyone tell me how to look up my system specs and post them on here.
    i know i have windows vista /32 or 64 i dont know
    dual core cpu dont know what speed or how much ram i have
    graphics card is a ati/radeon but i cant figure out what model
    any help would be great thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Originally Posted by White Knight
    Yup, having a hobby in PC hardware is both a blessing and a curse, lol. Oh well, I enjoy helping out where I can.

I know what you mean. I been working in IT since 1996. Was an Desktop Support, System and Network Administrator for Unix, Linux, Novell, Apple and Windows. With the IT bubble burst I am now in IT sales. I have worked on older 8808 and all x86 platforms from 286's on up. I have worked on Dell, emachines, Gateways, Sony, HP, Compaq, and no name clones. All my fiends ask for my help. I really enjoy IT. Working on PC for me is like how other people like working on their cars. It's great fun most for the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    can anyone tell me how to look up my system specs and post them on here.
    i know i have windows vista /32 or 64 i dont know
    dual core cpu dont know what speed or how much ram i have
    graphics card is a ati/radeon but i cant figure out what model
    any help would be great thanks.
    Is this a Dell, HP etc? Think of this like a car. What make and model? Go to Start button - Search and search for dxdiag.exe Launch it. On the bottom of the DirectX Diagnostic page there is a "Save All Information" button. Press it and save to the Desktop then open it and post it here.
This discussion has been closed.