What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

Comments

• Options
    sascptsascpt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Okay, apparently the chances to win the lottery are better than with the state-lottery. Attempt #15 worked after a patch of about 9GB. (And either the patch-server or a network node are increasingly busy. It takes longer and longer for the same task)
    Still the question remains "why"?
    A more detailled explanation would go far in making us understand this.

UPDATE: after completing the daylies, Logged of and tried to start again. Well welcome to the loop: Game patches again and again it's not working afterwards.
    Serious question: Are they logging all those times to figure out which files are broken? Are we their Guinea Pig (more then usual)? And if so: Why not tell us? I at least could understand that such an approach can produse faster results then painstakingly debugging everything.
    Post edited by sascpt on
  • Options
    lww85larrylww85larry Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    The launcher forced me to download another 2gb+ patch - after the patch was completed I now get the message "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly" when I try to press engage
    from what i seen if this will help tech's after downloading the black page with the large white letters and the download status bar below it is not working, (i think its a secure link to the game) hope this helps
  • Options
    lww85larrylww85larry Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    from what i seen if this will help tech's after downloading the black page with the large white letters and the download status bar below it is not working, (i think its a secure link to the game) hope this helps
  • Options
    korrtakinkorrtakin Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Simple. Rollback, extend running event. Develop a working partch in the background. Is it really that hard???
  • Options
    bughole3bughole3 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I managed to log in this morning. I tried again now, no such luck. Did another patch, smaller, and got the same error.
  • Options
    ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    (Flaming/trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    execute8080#1117 execute8080 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    After about a dozen patch/retry cycles, I got in and was able to do the daily RA! This is one of the least populated DS9's I've seen in a long time.

5o0o3hrnuaw1.png

• Options
    syrupofsquillsyrupofsquill Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Step 1 in a problem troubleshooter is identifying the cause. Is nuts for us players to get caught in some update loop where you keep downloading patches of 2, 5 to 9 gigs over and over. Feel like a guinea pig. I dont understand whats going on, verify files and then have them update again seems like there are 2 patch servers with different file manifest/list on roundrobin or something.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,016 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • Options
    essig#0884 essig Member Posts: 12 New User
    This:
  • Options
    stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    So the answer is keep patching until it works? Like... How in 2023 is this an acceptable fix? Like... Is the game so outdated you can't apply a patch using modern day coding?
  • Options
    Can we get a badge that says "I survived patch hell day" in game?
  • Options
    aggypoo wrote: »

I support this...
  • Options
    asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1270217/pc-patch-notes-for-4-6-23
    stohanson wrote: »

I support this...

I have a title "The 107" for when 107 accounts were causing the servers to crash when they logged in. 107 of us were left in limbo (locked out) for a day or 2 , so others could play, while they figured out the issue.
  • Options
    ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    (Flaming/trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    pegrimscrusadepegrimscrusade Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Still can not get in game. I have it patched over and over and still getting this message. 8r8j0yuw4yvl.jpg
  • Options
    glasswordsglasswords Member Posts: 43 Arc User

Make that the "Great STO outage of 2023". Seriously, it has been over 30 hours since some of us were able to log in. It is now Friday. I wonder if they'll have it resolved today or if we're waiting until next week.

It is interesting now that each time that I launch the Launcher, it does another round of patching.
  • Options
    > @glasswords said:
    > Make that the "Great STO outage of 2023". Seriously, it has been over 30 hours since some of us were able to log in. It is now Friday. I wonder if they'll have it resolved today or if we're waiting until next week.
    >
    > It is interesting now that each time that I launch the Launcher, it does another round of patching.

Indeed. I'm watching a console of what it's patching and it looks like it's literally throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks with every patch. This is some really bad programming.
  • Options
    12 patches to make it to the loading screen... Loading screen froze... I had to crash the client via Task Manager... Tried to launch the game again and got "unable to start client"....

Sadly... I bet most of the Dev team is off today for "good Friday"....
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,489 Arc User
    I tried yesterday and it did not work. I ran out of time with the unexpected patch the day it happened and called it a day. I will wait patiently until it is fixed. Glad the Voth Invictus and Galactic Red Alert Events will be extended. Praying for you guys and the communities affected by this outage which is not fun for both parties. Stay safe, healthy, and have a good night's sleep when it is over.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    cisticolacisticola Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    At this point I am considering backing up my user files and just uninstalling STO. The launcher seems unstable and or corrupted to me after all the constant patches which is progressively getting worse (white or black screen on the launcher, hanging etc.). I'll reinstall again when there's a stable release.
  • Options
    execute8080#1117 execute8080 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I don't know if this helps determine the problem in any way, but in-game chat of players that have gotten back in say that once they log out, the error re-occurs and they have to go through the patch/retry lottery all over again.

I'm still in-game to finish daily stuff; fingers crossed an effective one time fix will be implemented soon.
  • Options
    viribusunitisviribusunitis Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I patched also 2 gb and then this one appear7xfy4voilefu.jpg

WHEN YOU HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS
  • Options
    > @viribusunitis said:
    > I patched also 2 gb and then this one appear
    >
    >
    > WHEN YOU HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS

Welcome to the club. Quit, relaunch, patch till it fixes itself.
  • Options
    morsnoctemorsnocte Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Why isn't this a separate tab the forums? People want to know what is going on and then have to look for this issue. I also agree we need more official posts. Update should be on the forums first instead of Twitter and this is a major issue and an update each hour is not asking too much.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    So... I'm back in. After watching the console the whole time (Which by they way if you ever have trouble sleeping watch files get installed/uninstalled in the console logs in real time will do it) There was finally a large patch which uninstalled and reinstalled ALL the .exe files in the game console AND reset my settings btw. This was WAY larger than 2GB so don't think that's the one. Wait for like a 3-4GB patch. That'll be it.

EDIT: Crashed on Character select and now back to patch hell. :'(
  • Options
    hippis#7044 hippis Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Yay. Patch hell...a new feature for STO.

ROFL
  • Options
    asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Well after patching 3 times with 3 different downloads amounts 3G, 10G, 8G I decided to just do force verifies for a bit.
    With verify it shows the file counts for both total checked and total expected. I did not track the download size they varied from 800 Meg to 10 Gig.
    Files check is approximate since there is little time between last files checked and blanking out to Patching line. I also did not close the launcher since this would end up doing a new patch again.

1. 180K files checked - expected 129626
    2. 180K files checked - expected 181966
    3. 180K files checked - expected 94978
    4. 180K files checked - expected 181966
    5. 180K files checked - expected 181966 (hey maybe fixed since same count)
    6. 180K files checked - expected 129626
    7. 129K files checked - expected 129626
    8. 129K files checked - expected 181966

Still getting the same error Unable to Start Game Client
  • Options
    Patching. The new STO minigame
  • Options
    robynkaterobynkate Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    cisticola wrote: »
    At this point I am considering backing up my user files and just uninstalling STO. The launcher seems unstable and or corrupted to me after all the constant patches which is progressively getting worse (white or black screen on the launcher, hanging etc.). I'll reinstall again when there's a stable release.

I uninstalled mine yesterday, and trying to reinstall it last night took forever, and the error still occurred. But now it is like everyone else, patching through repeated cycles of ###.8 patch, while the tribble server has ###.10 patch.

Can we use the tribble server patch to make the Holodeck server work?

EDIT: Just speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend uninstalling, you may get a lucky roll and get into the game to at least do solo content for a while.