What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

Comments

• Options
    darathorn#5595 darathorn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    ISSUE IS FIXED for me. After downloading a patch, error, closing Cryptic launcher, repeat, there was one massive update (few gigabytes) it started to work. No more: quit unexpectedly error. Note, it took 4 or 5 updates.
  • Options
    aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE: There was a few Gigs patching and game is running again no more error messages for now. Carry one Capts.
  • Options
    joeraikagejoeraikage Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    so, is it better to reinstall the game then? because 4 to 5 update and a few gig and some say there is one patch that is 10 or 30 gigs. That gonna cost me my internet quota...

or should I wait till the game is more stable and patching it (or completely reinstall it)?
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    The patch this morning gave me alot of............fake hope. Still same error. "client quit unexpectantly"

There's no new patch, just a loop.
  • Options
    joeraikage wrote: »
    so, is it better to reinstall the game then? because 4 to 5 update and a few gig and some say there is one patch that is 10 or 30 gigs. That gonna cost me my internet quota...

or should I wait till the game is more stable and patching it (or completely reinstall it)?

Tried that yesterday, did not work. Fresh full install and same error.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Again long patch yet again same problem.
  • Options
    husk10#9106 husk10 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Again long patch yet again same problem.

As I posted and 'darathorn' posted it may take several attempts at patching before it works.
  • Options
    sto2018#9463 sto2018 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Having login issues as well

7ltlufd8u3sg.jpg
    phxjcoxpheh9.jpg
  • Options
    roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    I'm currently on the 3rd patch; the 1st attempt yielded something along the lines of 5 GB, the 2nd was somewhere around 1 GB, and the 3rd one looks like it's gonna be around 9 GB.
    I'm going to keep shutting down the launcher after it finishes patching, and restarting it.
  • Options
    amok34amok34 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just went through the whole process for the eighth time. No dice.
    "Life and death are too intimately intergrown to be severed from each other."
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,038 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    I'm currently on the 3rd patch; the 1st attempt yielded something along the lines of 5 GB, the 2nd was somewhere around 1 GB, and the 3rd one looks like it's gonna be around 9 GB.
    I'm going to keep shutting down the launcher after it finishes patching, and restarting it.

Same for me Just started my second patch. But was expecting it to not take straight away cos as the twitter post stated i may not work straight away anyways.

As the saying going .... If at first you don't succeed try try try again.

• Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Sigh lol, it unbelievable that so many of you are awake patching. So far it's my 10th patch. Updating live and tribble at the same time. Patch is patch eventually you have to do it, i rather less people are awake when i do it.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Since I have a transwarp internet 10gigs speed, attempts last half hour:

0.5GB x2
    2GB x1

[Force-verify]
    6GB x1

[US Proxy]
    0.5GB x2

[EU Proxy]
    2GB x1

[No Proxy]
    0.5GB x2
    3.6GB so far, dying at 89% 0.1M/s.

It's looping no matter what. Stopping this not to overkill servers for nothing.
    It's dead, Jim.

Looks like it ended up like Windows where 90% of the files are useless for the actual purpose and not even the devs know that many do or why they are there.

-Edit-
    Back at 0.5GB /patch loop. Stopping until officials announce fix.
  • Options
    treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Well, I tried again several times this morning, but no joy.
    ("Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly")

Reloaded patch 6 times -> No Joy.
    Force Verify all files -> No Joy.
    Reboot and Reloaded Patch -> No Joy,
    Erase STO from drive, clean registry, reboot, redownload, and rerun -> No Joy.

If this keeps up, we will have to rename the game to "Star Trek Offline"!
    (It was bad enough that "First Contact Day" ended up being "No Contact Day".)

*sigh*
  • Options
    sascptsascpt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    It's the same here. Interpreted their statement on twitter as: you might have to patch a couple of times before the right files are replaced.
    Tried it about 10 times since. Same result. Both with and without 'force verify'.
    So I'm cutting them some slack. They'll need some time with their eyes off the screens. Overdoing it will only prolong the prozess of finding and fixing.
    It still is frustration, sitting here Good Friday (holiday), raining outside and little else to do.
  • Options
    sascpt wrote: »
    you might have to patch a couple [hundred] of times
    /fixed.

Some did win the lottery apparently, but it looks like the same chances apply as for the ship drop from an in-game scambox, so if you really don't have absolutely anything to do, keep trying. Otherwise, slim chance.

• Options
    bersi23#7410 bersi23 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is there anything I can do? Nothing helps..

d79n27u18p9w.png

• Options
    essig#0884 essig Member Posts: 12 New User
    "We've deployed a fix that should start to help people log in, but it may take some time and it may not work for you right away."

That last part... "May not work for you right away". What does that mean?!?! is there a process we should try to get it to work? Are there more patches coming? I'm still getting the error after a patch processes.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    It is now April7th 10:52 UCT

The Launcher started a patching routine;

Result: Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

So I still cannot enter the game. The so called fix is not working.

Can I please have some update on the progress, cause and estimated time required to have it solved?
  • Options
    angusmcfifexiii#8078 angusmcfifexiii Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    mk8y6zxcwqkn.jpg
    Same issue, yesterday patch of 1gb, and since today it started with another 1 gb patch unable to launch game

I'm getting this same notification now.
  • Options
    totenmet wrote: »

Can I please have some update on the progress, cause and estimated time required to have it solved?

It may take a number of attempts at patching before it works
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    totenmet wrote: »

It may take a number of attempts at patching before it works

How Many attempts? I have restarted the launcher 20 times (then i stopped trying, because having to patch more then 20 times is abnormal or not?) every time it patched something still giving: Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly
  • Options
    korrtakinkorrtakin Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    aggypoo wrote: »
    That last part... "May not work for you right away". What does that mean?!?!

Login lottery?

I just can't believe it. What kind of insufficiency is this? They can't even provide the correct patch files. The correct files may arrive at the customer via a gamble. Why isn't the old, last working version provided? Then you can try to create a new build in the background. This tinkering brings nothing.
  • Options
    essig#0884 essig Member Posts: 12 New User
    > @korrtakin said:
    > Login lottery?
    >
    > I just can't believe it. What kind of insufficiency is this? They can't even provide the correct patch files. The correct files may arrive at the customer via a gamble. Why isn't the old, last working version provided? Then you can try to create a new build in the background. This tinkering brings nothing.

Agreed
  • Options
    Sadly at this moment in time it is a lottery. Some players are in game after patching 5 times or less. Some more than 5. But we can't say were not advised it wouldn't take straight away.
  • Options
    roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    I've attempted the patch 20 times already, did at least 1 force verify, and I'm still getting the Unable to Start: Client Quit Unexpectedly.

At this point, it's purely unacceptable that this fix "may work for some and not for others." No, some of us paid money into this game; we want a fix that's going to work the first time.
  • Options
    wo1dashwo1dash Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Ditto = No game and a 4 day weekend where I am unable to play - At least, at present.
  • Options
    skyguy99#9278 skyguy99 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    After being able to play just fine yesterday, after the latest patching my launcher has done before I hit play, I, too, now have this issue where I am unable to enter the game and only get "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly"
  • Options
    skyguy99#9278 skyguy99 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @"roninwolf1981#2968" said:
    > I've attempted the patch 20 times already, did at least 1 force verify, and I'm still getting the Unable to Start: Client Quit Unexpectedly.
    >

Wow, I didn't expect it was this bad. The fact it seems the wrong files are being passed out seems very strange on their part
  • Options
    megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Yay. Patch hell...a new feature for STO.