Install Arc

Power creep, Instakills and 30 second T.F.O.'s

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    epeen ?

Electronic man part ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ryjokelryjokel Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    This is the trouble with written text on a forum, it's difficult to successfully convey the indented tone that the post was written in/with. It's very easy to say something in a way that could be misunderstood or misinterpreted. I understand.

The intended tone was light hearted and is merely my observations with a few rhetorical questions thrown in for emphasis. I understand if someone see this as complaining, or if they disagree with my opinion, that's ok, that is your right.

The post is not about any specific TFO, or difficulty level. The Conduit was simply the catalyst for this post, this issue has been on my mind for some time. It's mainly about the spread of instakill builds that seem to be much more common in every battlezone and many TFO's. I'm concerned that it is restricting the playable content for some less equipped, newer or more casual players.

Obviously it's not a constant barrage of instakillers everywhere all the time, but it used to be a rare occurrence, something you'd see only in specific situations, or specific TFO's as has been pointed out. Now it's much more common, in many more situations and has been getting more so lately.

I do know that it has turned many new and old players away, many of my old fleet mates have stated that it feels like a genocide simulator in a Star Trek skin, or some other colorful description. I can see their point, but i still play anyway.

The "Elite" difficulty queue was introduced specifically to cater to those players who want to push the boundaries of what is possible within the game mechanics. But i can't remember the last time an "Elite" queue actually popped for me. I does pop eventually, but not very often.

"Random Elite" TFO queues is a great idea, but will people actually use them ?.

As i mentioned, i am an "almost instakiller", i just refuse to go that far, even though i have as much ability and right to do so after my 11-ish years of playing. My forum post count is, what 6 or 7 posts, i don't do forums mainly because i'm too busy having fun in game. I'd rather play than type.

I'm only here to point out what i see as a blindingly obvious issue that has the potential to get seriously out of control, if it has'nt already.

Besides, forum posts rarely ever achieve anything other than disagreements and in a game this old, rarely ever make a difference to whatever situation is being discussed.

Either way, many of you have made some good points, even the folks who disagree with me. It shows how diverse this community is and how important it is to be able to cater to the various tastes and preferences of its player base. Considering how old this game is now, that is really impressive in and of itself.

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,089 Arc User
    ryjokel wrote: »
    I do know that it has turned many new and old players away, many of my old fleet mates have stated that it feels like a genocide simulator in a Star Trek skin, or some other colorful description. I can see their point, but i still play anyway.

Accolades :smile:
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,253 Arc User
    I think the best solution is just more incentives to play the harder content. Like, Korfez is one of the hardest queues you can ever due for a number of reasons, yet its very very rarely done. Why? There's not much reason to do it aside from just... the challenge of it. It doesn't offer anything unique aside from maybe an accolade or two over other queues.

And some old accolades don't even work anymore. Like, there once upon a time was accolades that unlocked a costume for completing the optionals for the Borg Queues on Elite difficulty. Now? Those accolades were never updated to work for the Modern Elites after the difficulty was expanded to include advanced. Even then that's only a one time reward but atleast its something.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,786 Community Moderator
    DPS chasers insta-vaping everything DOES hamper the average player's ability to enjoy the game though, massively over-geared players soloing what should be group content often makes appropriately geared players think things like "Why am I even here? Why should I bother trying?". If I wanted to watch someone else kill stuff I'd go on Twitch, people who can destroy entire waves of enemies and even bosses before I manage to get even a single shot off do not belong in Normal difficulty queues at all. IMO events should not remove Advanced and Elite difficulties from the queues that are part of the event, and Random Elite queues should be an option as well.

First, I agree that advanced and elite difficulty should be available at all times and shouldn't be disabled purely because an event is going on. That's one thing I strongly disagreed with and made my opinions known about when it was done.

Now with that in mind, if you're going to make the assertion you did in the bolded section I highlighted above, I can just as easily assert the opposite. By that same token, people coming into content with subpar builds and damage output harm the ability of the team to complete the run and in some instances guarantee an instant fail because that guy isn't pulling his weight. I continue to point to Korfez as a prime example. That TFO requires everyone to pull a certain minimum amount of damage and be able to survive certain hits in order to progress. If the team can't hack it then it's an auto fail. Hypothetically speaking lets say it's 50k DPS just to quantify it for discussion. This means if everyone on that team can't pull 50k minimum, it will fail. If 4 of the guys are pulling that 50k, but the 5th guy is only doing 10k, that 5th guy has no right to be in there because he's harming the ability of the team to progress and enjoy the content in addition to not meeting the basic standards set by the game itself. So if you're going to make the assertion you did in bold, it cuts both ways. There's nothing wrong with expecting basic REASONABLE standards from people, which the game has set at 2% of the damage dealt in the entirety of the run. Even doing red alerts I have rarely seen people get an AFK from that. In fact I can count on one hand how many times in the average month I see someone legitimately earn an AFK penalty.

As I said before, the fun of people like the OP is not wrong. Likewise the fun of insta-vapers is not wrong. No one else in this game is responsible for your fun or that of anyone else. People like the OP and insta-vape players BOTH have the right to join random TFOs they have met the minimum requirements for. When I go into a run, I am not responsible for the enjoyment of the other 4 people on there. If that's now the standard, then by that logic should I have to stop using polarons on my Legend Galaxy because it breaks another guy's immersion on the team and his fun by seeing purple beams coming from the ship? If the non-insta vape players are going to say that the insta vape players shouldn't be allowed to do so much damage, then likewise I can say the non-insta vape players have no right to play anything above normal mode until they can hit 40k DPS, and if they never hit the 40k DPS then tough luck. It cuts both ways.

I generally stick to advanced or elite difficulty myself. Some days I like to push things on elite, and other days I just want to roll through things a bit easier and play on advanced. Simply because I have the ability to play on elite doesn't mean that's what I always want to do. Likewise when I play SWTOR, I am primarily a tank, yet sometimes I want to just blast things with lightning as a DPS.

Now I'm not opposed to higher tiers of difficulty being introduced as others have suggested. However I can tell you exactly how it's going to go. Let's say they introduce a new difficulty called Elite Plus. Alot of people are going to join this new difficulty even though they're clearly not ready for it, get stomped because they're not ready, then come on here demanding it be nerfed and saying it's too hard, which defeats the purpose of even adding the higher difficulty to start with, then we're right back to square one.
    westx211 wrote: »
    I think the best solution is just more incentives to play the harder content. Like, Korfez is one of the hardest queues you can ever due for a number of reasons, yet its very very rarely done. Why? There's not much reason to do it aside from just... the challenge of it. It doesn't offer anything unique aside from maybe an accolade or two over other queues.

And some old accolades don't even work anymore. Like, there once upon a time was accolades that unlocked a costume for completing the optionals for the Borg Queues on Elite difficulty. Now? Those accolades were never updated to work for the Modern Elites after the difficulty was expanded to include advanced. Even then that's only a one time reward but atleast its something.

I can tell you part of why it doesn't pop. For the longest time it had an issue where the final boss was bugged out and the resists on the boss were far far higher than they should be and you needed absurd amounts of armor pen and the like to even damage the boss. It took way too long to fix and that damage the reputation for TFO. On top of this Korfez also has a hefty DPS check at the start of the TFO. if your team doesn't bring their A game and wipe that first batch of enemies in a certain time, you will fail. Far too many times when I've gone into a random Korfez, I've been grouped with people who simply are not ready for that content and it auto fails.

I'm also not opposed to better rewards being offered. However I still see the scenario of people going into stuff they're not ready for, then complaining when they can't beat it being the norm that will happen. Folks can call me pessimistic if they want and maybe I am. I've seen it happen so many times in other games that maybe it has left me a little jaded, I won't deny that. However I still stand by those statements.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,253 Arc User
    DPS chasers insta-vaping everything DOES hamper the average player's ability to enjoy the game though, massively over-geared players soloing what should be group content often makes appropriately geared players think things like "Why am I even here? Why should I bother trying?". If I wanted to watch someone else kill stuff I'd go on Twitch, people who can destroy entire waves of enemies and even bosses before I manage to get even a single shot off do not belong in Normal difficulty queues at all. IMO events should not remove Advanced and Elite difficulties from the queues that are part of the event, and Random Elite queues should be an option as well.

First, I agree that advanced and elite difficulty should be available at all times and shouldn't be disabled purely because an event is going on. That's one thing I strongly disagreed with and made my opinions known about when it was done.

Now with that in mind, if you're going to make the assertion you did in the bolded section I highlighted above, I can just as easily assert the opposite. By that same token, people coming into content with subpar builds and damage output harm the ability of the team to complete the run and in some instances guarantee an instant fail because that guy isn't pulling his weight. I continue to point to Korfez as a prime example. That TFO requires everyone to pull a certain minimum amount of damage and be able to survive certain hits in order to progress. If the team can't hack it then it's an auto fail. Hypothetically speaking lets say it's 50k DPS just to quantify it for discussion. This means if everyone on that team can't pull 50k minimum, it will fail. If 4 of the guys are pulling that 50k, but the 5th guy is only doing 10k, that 5th guy has no right to be in there because he's harming the ability of the team to progress and enjoy the content in addition to not meeting the basic standards set by the game itself. So if you're going to make the assertion you did in bold, it cuts both ways. There's nothing wrong with expecting basic REASONABLE standards from people, which the game has set at 2% of the damage dealt in the entirety of the run. Even doing red alerts I have rarely seen people get an AFK from that. In fact I can count on one hand how many times in the average month I see someone legitimately earn an AFK penalty.

As I said before, the fun of people like the OP is not wrong. Likewise the fun of insta-vapers is not wrong. No one else in this game is responsible for your fun or that of anyone else. People like the OP and insta-vape players BOTH have the right to join random TFOs they have met the minimum requirements for. When I go into a run, I am not responsible for the enjoyment of the other 4 people on there. If that's now the standard, then by that logic should I have to stop using polarons on my Legend Galaxy because it breaks another guy's immersion on the team and his fun by seeing purple beams coming from the ship? If the non-insta vape players are going to say that the insta vape players shouldn't be allowed to do so much damage, then likewise I can say the non-insta vape players have no right to play anything above normal mode until they can hit 40k DPS, and if they never hit the 40k DPS then tough luck. It cuts both ways.

I generally stick to advanced or elite difficulty myself. Some days I like to push things on elite, and other days I just want to roll through things a bit easier and play on advanced. Simply because I have the ability to play on elite doesn't mean that's what I always want to do. Likewise when I play SWTOR, I am primarily a tank, yet sometimes I want to just blast things with lightning as a DPS.

Now I'm not opposed to higher tiers of difficulty being introduced as others have suggested. However I can tell you exactly how it's going to go. Let's say they introduce a new difficulty called Elite Plus. Alot of people are going to join this new difficulty even though they're clearly not ready for it, get stomped because they're not ready, then come on here demanding it be nerfed and saying it's too hard, which defeats the purpose of even adding the higher difficulty to start with, then we're right back to square one.
    westx211 wrote: »

I can tell you part of why it doesn't pop. For the longest time it had an issue where the final boss was bugged out and the resists on the boss were far far higher than they should be and you needed absurd amounts of armor pen and the like to even damage the boss. It took way too long to fix and that damage the reputation for TFO. On top of this Korfez also has a hefty DPS check at the start of the TFO. if your team doesn't bring their A game and wipe that first batch of enemies in a certain time, you will fail. Far too many times when I've gone into a random Korfez, I've been grouped with people who simply are not ready for that content and it auto fails.

I'm also not opposed to better rewards being offered. However I still see the scenario of people going into stuff they're not ready for, then complaining when they can't beat it being the norm that will happen. Folks can call me pessimistic if they want and maybe I am. I've seen it happen so many times in other games that maybe it has left me a little jaded, I won't deny that. However I still stand by those statements.

To be fair to people going into stuff they're not ready for, that already happens even now without additional incentives to do harder content. I still see people queuing even into the easiest content and somehow not being ready for it.

Adding more rewards or improving the rewards for harder content may make it more of an issue, but the issue already exists so I don't think it should stop something that would be overall good from being done, atleast personally.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

By that same token, people coming into content with subpar builds and damage output harm the ability of the team to complete the run and in some instances guarantee an instant fail because that guy isn't pulling his weight.

Situations like that are why all MMOs should have a vote kick mechanic, I'll never understand why STO doesn't have one, but that's a whole different topic altogether.
    As I said before, the fun of people like the OP is not wrong. Likewise the fun of insta-vapers is not wrong.

I didn't say ANYONE's fun was "wrong", what I was saying is that when one person is so massively over-geared that they Thanos-snap every enemy the second they warp in STO stops being a game for the other four players because all they can do is watch the explosions.
    If the non-insta vape players are going to say that the insta vape players shouldn't be allowed to do so much damage

Personally I'd prefer a solution that involved encouraging higher DPS players to do the higher difficulties rather than putting a cap on DPS in lower difficulties, I just think you are far too quick to disregard the experience average players (those who ARE capable of contributing enough for the chosen difficulty) have when they are unlucky enough to get matched with someone who's using a build that could solo God.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,338 Community Moderator
    ... get matched with someone who's using a build that could solo God.

What does God need with a Starship? B)

Looks like we're getting into a more constructive conversation, which is nice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • live8evillive8evil Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    I still stand by my opinion, that one should "git gud" first, complain on the forum second.

Insta-vapers, as some people are called (we're calling names on this forum now) have invested time and energy for their performance and those people, who get an AFK penalty or low dps, did not (invest either time, nor energy).

I was a new player a few years ago and i've seen guys mop up maps even back then - so this isn't even a new "problem" (which it's not, get over it). This was over 7 years ago. Did you sleep till now?

Luckly my response wasn't "this can't be right, i have to start a campaign to stop it". Nope, i wen't to the drawing board and "gat gud".
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    There really is no right or wrong answer to this really. It's just a feature. Sort of like becoming an adult. It is going to happen because it has to happen. We all understand this is a business decision, and business will follow power. Because people will always pay for it. It's just the way it is. If power is a available and its within reach those that can reach it will reach for it.

I am definitely one of those players that would be considered problematic in this thread. I finish the 500K dps endeavors with one salvo of befaw. Literally, i just go to a tfo, turn on a few buffs and let a befaw rip and within that 10 second salvo i get my purple box and move on. So i am definitely in the higher echelons of dps. And from time to time I do view weaker players (not less skilled but weaker in terms of DPS) as newbies. It might be a mistake, but i don't really comprehend how anyone other then a new player cant make the red alert go down. And because of that view point I find myself white knighting them all the time which probably also sucks. But from my view I don't know if they are struggling or not, angry or not, relieved or not. I just see it mainly as, make the line go up and the red go down. And when i leave them alone and assume they got it, and then that hole they were filling becomes over run because they fell.

So there's a good chance i may have absolutely ruined the games and runs of alot of players without intending to. But I don't think i will stop because it harms the run for a person to struggle with making the red go down.

It's not a E-peen or a git gud thing, because it's not possible. You either are or you are not. You either have or you have not. sO telling a person to get better doesn't really make sense unless you are going to provide them with resources to do that. But also telling a person to dial back doesn't make sense because they have the resources to do it and it doesn't harm a person physically, but emotionally. And that's fine in a game. you get over it when the instance is over. But is that not a natural response to gaming? Kill everything and move on? I mean isn't that the point of star trek? Being hero's in hero ships? Saving other ships from destruction?

Granted I don't play anything under elite or advanced unless it's the event, then my apologies to the people in defend starbase one. but still.

Also, a lot of people have to realize, we made the game this way. I remember when i couldn't even fathom fighting a borg tac cube alone. Then players complained and now i can solo 4-5-6 in an escort. I feel that's funny when i look back on it. I don't remember anything other then that. Dying to the borg invisible torp. Those were the best days. Days i still do blame the community for stealing from me. Not really sure if its something to be sad about or not. Because I do feel if it had stayed the same, the vaping in this game would be even worse and more spread out because more players would have to participate in the standard, but i as a personal aside, would like to die on the field again. Oh, i guess i disproved my thesis just then and kinda too lazy to go back and edit or delete. well, is what it is. I guess we're all captains that way, looking to be alive in a fight to the death. So i guess i should leave people to their deaths, because it really is a good day to die and whom am I to steal these memories from them.

I can't join the anti-vaper coalition because it doesn't make sense to destroy the viability of the game to preserve the personal sensibility and spirit of the game, but i as a vaper will def not interfere with the memories players have yet to form. So thats that.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
    Even today, I had the following situation: got random-ed into a team, that couldn't get past a single rift in the undine assault TFO. So i went ahead and and cleared em all. It took more, than 30 seconds, trust me. If I wasn't present in the map, those people would still be playing that mission, as I write this post. And get the lowest mark payout (cause that mission actualy rewards quick completition, imagine that). Same can be said for gravity kills, where a weak team, without a strong dps-er can't do the mission on time to get all the mark bonuses. Did you ever play dranuur gauntlet? That map is saved countless times by a insta-vaper, because the majority of players can't handle the more chalanging enemys. And yes, it matters again, because you get far worse mark payouts, if you fail to protect the stations. Do i need to go on? Or do you see now, how pointless this whole thread is.

edited March 2023
    @Live8evil

Honestly mate, i feel you're being a little aggressive with your remarks. None of my observations have been directed at you personally. If you feel that way, i can only speculate that you have misunderstood or misinterpreted my original post. Or my second post.

Though i do appreciate your opinion on this. I hope you understand that this is not about you personally, this about "the bigger picture". The long term effects of power creep and the widening skill gap on the long term morale of the community as a whole.

I use the term "instakillers" because it is a very accurate and easy to remember description of the way some players are able to "instantly kill" things in game.

My apologies if i have not made myself clear enough. I'm just voicing my concerns about a visible issue in a game i've enjoyed playing since 2012.

This is not about unprepared players on a too high difficulty level. It's about players with enough skill and ability to play well, being left out of gameplay by people who insist on soloing group content without thinking about the rest of the team in TFO's or the other players in a battlezone instance.

Does the ability to instantly vaporize everything in view, mean that it needs to be done, while excluding everyone else in the instance ?.

"Need or Greed ?"

edited March 2023
    I have no idea, what your first post was about, but this one is pretty much insulting. You basicaly ask of people, who invested more time and resources into the game, to tailor their gameplay to those, who didn't. What you ask makes no sense, not in this game and not in real life either. Also your issue is the fact, that the builds gradualy progress over the years? Is the fact, that your suggestion of a dps cap would insta-frag this game, lost on you? I'm sorry for the "agression", but i'm not even sure if you're serious or just trolling at this point.
    live8evil wrote: »
    I have no idea, what your first post was about, but this one is pretty much insulting. You basicaly ask of people, who invested more time and resources into the game, to tailor their gameplay to those, who didn't. What you ask makes no sense, not in this game and not in real life either. Also your issue is the fact, that the builds gradualy progress over the years? Is the fact, that your suggestion of a dps cap would insta-frag this game, lost on you? I'm sorry for the "agression", but i'm not even sure if you're serious or just trolling at this point.

Sorry mate, but it's clear that you have misunderstood this discussion entirely and have no intention of finding out what it is about. Until you do, i won't bother replying to you again.

This discussion is not compulsory, you don't have to be here if you don't like the conversation.

Alright, just don't go and start a thread about "rude players" or something, next :).
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,661 Community Moderator
    Alright. Again, I'm going to have to ask y'all to calm down and stop sniping at each other. Otherwise, I will have to close this thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,226 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    valoreah wrote: »
    live8evil wrote: »
    I still stand by my opinion, that one should "git gud" first, complain on the forum second.

Preaching for everyone to "git gud" is not really a sustainable solution. Again, were everyone to be doing 600K+ DPS in content that is in no way designed for that, there is no challenge to the game and Cryptic may as well just hand out rewards for doing nothing.

I think a better question to be asking is if you invested so much time and effort into your high DPS build, why are you still running content on advanced level instead of elite? Were elite TFOs added into the random pool, would you queue for elite content only?
    Part of the problem is perhaps some people are a little out of touch with how bad DPS power creep has got. As they are not looking at DPS logs they are not aware of just how high the creep has got.

Hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way. This is not aimed at anyone. What I am trying to say, like you are that 600k isn't even high anymore. 600k is not a high end build or a nannie run. 1 million isn't even anything special anymore.

The way I see it EDIT: based on veteran players.
    • 10k to 20k your into ground DPS no one in space should be doing this low DPS.
    • 100k is the equivalent of a single hanger pet level of DPS. (High level pet)
    • 200k is the equivalent of 1 hangar bay worth of DPS.
    • 400k is 2 hangar bays worth of DPS
    • 600k to 1 million is an every day general build with a good tank.
    • 1+ million is a high end build
    • 2 to 2.5 million is the special pre made group runs with nannies.

That's how bad power creep has got and the problem is content is designed around 120k DPS per player at Elite level.

Or to put it another way. Ground builds now do enough DPS to enter the Bronze DPS space runs and hanger pets enter the Gold runs. Let alone talking space magic or main weapons which even a every day tank build can pass the Dimond requirements.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,418 Arc User
    I'm half with OP here, in that power creep is a tad excessive nowadays. I mean being able to solo ISA+ should really be a fight, not sneeze and win, but that's me, I love a proper fight.

And high DPS doesn't necessarily mean you've gotten 'gud' either. Copying a build and a macro on your space bar to pump out 1 mill DPS does not equal skill. But that does not mean people should be obligated to copy a build off the net just to make someone's epeen glow.

I've never looked at a guide, never will, because I learned the long-way round over the decade+ I've been playing. Folk have different interpretations of fun, and provided it's with the TOS and not an exploit, leave them be....regardless of high or low DPS.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    From a game designer stand point (i used to work in the game industry a long time ago), the quick solution to keep the DPS folks happy, and the casual players happy would be to do the following...at least in my eyes.

1: The Omega Reputation or "The Borg One". It's one of if not the first reputation that people work through. From Tier 1 until completion of Tier 5 the character is locked to "Normal" TFO's for Borg. Upon completion of Tier 5 you are locked OUT of Normal and can only do Advanced. Upon completion of Tier 6 you can unlock Elite.

2: ALL major TFO's should have an "Elite" option added to queue and random

3: ...and this is the road i would go go down LAST. Talk to the major DPS groups. Ask them what they would want to see in a "standard" and "advanced" DPS testing zone map. A dedicated, purpose made map of mobs and structures that, upon completion of Tier 6 of Omega, people get access to. If "Normal" players queue up for these maps, a big warning sign pops up saying that this is a "Testing Simulation", and if their ship is not prepared adequately they will be removed, kind of like a current timeline version of the kobayashi maru test then award 4000 refined Dil every week to the top 3 DPS players who took part in ONE of the testing maps of their choice....which leads on to point 4...

4: A built in DPS meter in the client that is "Off" as standard but can be switched on in options. It will have basic drill down stats after the battle like who done how much damage, what done the damage...that kinda stuff.

Putting the above 4 things into the current game would avoid capping, avoid restricting, take only a few days work for the devs and would keep most (but not all) people happy. It would also mean that new players and casual players would see the "DPS maps" showing up, and winder what they are all about, and some of them might even consider going down the upgrade path to take part in them.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    I'm half with OP here, in that power creep is a tad excessive nowadays. I mean being able to solo ISA+ should really be a fight, not sneeze and win, but that's me, I love a proper fight.

And high DPS doesn't necessarily mean you've gotten 'gud' either. Copying a build and a macro on your space bar to pump out 1 mill DPS does not equal skill. But that does not mean people should be obligated to copy a build off the net just to make someone's epeen glow.

I've never looked at a guide, never will, because I learned the long-way round over the decade+ I've been playing. Folk have different interpretations of fun, and provided it's with the TOS and not an exploit, leave them be....regardless of high or low DPS.

Very well said. The problem with 'git gud' or spend copious amounts of cash to 'git gud' is that many of us don't HAVE copious amounds of cash.

Doesn't mean we aren't gud with what we got, we are. We can hold our own as long as there isn't some million-DPS boat in there vaping everything without giving the rest of us a chance to at least get a shot in.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,422 Arc User
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    1: The Omega Reputation or "The Borg One". It's one of if not the first reputation that people work through. From Tier 1 until completion of Tier 5 the character is locked to "Normal" TFO's for Borg. Upon completion of Tier 5 you are locked OUT of Normal and can only do Advanced. Upon completion of Tier 6 you can unlock Elite.
    Issue here is that so many Events award boxes of Rep marks on completion that you can easily reach level 5 in any of the Reps without doing their particular TFOs. I've run Borg-specific TFOs only when required for Events, especially the Event Campaigns, but I have level 5 in Omega Rep on several toons, and level 6 on two of them (eventually I realized the rewards for getting there weren't as useful for me as the resources spent doing so). I might - might - be able to keep up in an Advanced run, but my builds aren't nearly specialized enough for either my main or Tovan Khev to be useful in Elite content.

Also, in point 3, how would the system determine what is "adequate" preparation? We've got more energy-weapon types than there are actual particles to convey the energy, at least seven different kinds of torpedoes, enough consoles to choke a Dovalian space horse, and of course there's actual skill (my own choke point). "Gear score" turns out to be little more than an epeen buffer in the games where it's used, and our levels top out at 65, so what's the metric?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, in point 3, how would the system determine what is "adequate" preparation? We've got more energy-weapon types than there are actual particles to convey the energy, at least seven different kinds of torpedoes, enough consoles to choke a Dovalian space horse, and of course there's actual skill (my own choke point). "Gear score" turns out to be little more than an epeen buffer in the games where it's used, and our levels top out at 65, so what's the metric?

The metric would be taken from point 4, the built in DPS meter. If you aint doing enough sustained damage over a period of time you are automatically warped out of the map

AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
    I like all of these propositions, but...

1. lock out untill all reputations are at tier 5 and one at tier 6. Elite when all are at 6.
    2. No objections.
    3. Not many if any major DPS groups active atm (AFAIK!).
    4. DPS meter would promote DPS chasing even more and we see, that people can't even handle the current state of things.

That being said, it's highly unlikely, that such changes will be made anytime soon - if ever. The random elite ques are an object of public desire for a long time now. We also have a DPS test map on the tribble test server, which for some reason doesnt get carried over to the main server. I've heard there was a DPS meter, but did poorly and put out misleading numbers (???). And btw, capping and restricting is out of the question (a wet dream, a green dragon, a white rabbit, whatever you want) and that's not just my personal opinion, but a clear fact, since higher performance drives sales more than anything else. A single high performance trait (from d7 mw fdc) generates around 150 bucks for the devs.
    edited March 2023
    People play TFOs mainly to generate marks, marks are used to fuel the projects. If you don't need to do projects, you don't need marks and there is other content to play. It's not even about the gear and traits, but to prepare one for the advanced content, by making him play normal content first. He presented this idea very clearly and there is strong logic behind it. Sadly you and the OP see only your ludicrous solution of damage capping and some kind of reserved gameplay, if one is presented with a team of slow players in a random tfo.

Let's close this one, it's going nowhere.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,338 Community Moderator
    I would also like to point out in point 1 that Event TFOs tend to drop down to normal difficulty so that EVERYONE can participate. Locking people out of Normal essentially locks players out of an Event associated with those particular TFOs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.