test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dyson Battlezone, power creep, camping etc. Thread #474.747

Comments

• captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 934 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > Changing the implant drop from needing to damage the V-Rex to needing to do damage to any NPC in the zone could help.

Yep, that would be a pretty good possible solution.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    off topic, but related.. I did To Hell With Honor, and the scenario was over before the NPC could finish the narration.. now THAT's some power creep. Only reason I didn't get an AFK was I was cloaked and was able to get straight to Epsilon and damage a ship there before someone else did a one pass destroy everything with cannon fire
    sig.jpg
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Yeah, i witnessed power creep in the Iconian sphere TFO. I have a FAW Lexington, there was a player with a ship the size of a shuttlecraft wiping out entire groups of Iconian herald in one go, the other players were all cannon scatter volley ships also zipping around in what look like close to full impulse. I just came back to the game a week ago, seeing this happening over and over again makes me just feel like quitting again.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,100 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    Yeah, i witnessed power creep in the Iconian sphere TFO. I have a FAW Lexington, there was a player with a ship the size of a shuttlecraft wiping out entire groups of Iconian herald in one go, the other players were all cannon scatter volley ships also zipping around in what look like close to full impulse. I just came back to the game a week ago, seeing this happening over and over again makes me just feel like quitting again.

To move around a map more quickly..
    • Emergency Conn Hologram (FED) Emergency power to engines (EPtE1) resets evasive maneuvers (use EPtE1 instead of EPtShields).
    • Competive Reputation Engines - Fortified for a predictable speed boost or innervated to get a speed boost with any firing mode boff ability.
    • Power levels - Reducing shield power and transferring the difference to engines can help.
    • Deuterium Surplus
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    protoneous wrote: »
    Some helpful stuff.

This isn't helpful in a ground battlezone :smile:
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    valoreah wrote: »
    Changing the implant drop from needing to damage the V-Rex to needing to do damage to any NPC in the zone could help.

Before they made changes to how tagging worked you used to be able to just shoot at one of the Voth Medics stealing the Omega Particles to score a tag. Now you literally have to do health damage to the V-Rex, shield damage doesn't appear to count.

https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2023

I don't think you have to kill the rex to get the implants, just in the zone

Unfortunately you do have to do damage to the Rex to get the implants. This is different to the space battlezones, where you only have to be there.

I agree with @captainkoltar here; I was in the Voth ground battlezone, and I unfortunately DID camp and spawned in 3 pets...and I still didn't get any of the elite rewards (Voth Cybernetic Implants), because some a-hole minced the Rex at the outskirts in 3 seconds, and I just wasn't fast enough to make it to the other Rexes, and the Rex phase was over...with 0 Voth implants awarded. I didn't even get a chance to deal any damage to the Rex, even with 3 pets (Combat Tardigrade + Nanopulse Targ + Targ of Gre'thor), because someone else killed it in seconds.
    I lament I wasn't any wiser in taking screenshots of the user's handle. I might have to start taking screenshots of user handles at every Voth rex spawn site...
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    > @roninwolf1981#2968 said:
    > I agree with @captainkoltar here; I was in the Voth ground battlezone, and I unfortunately DID camp and spawned in 3 pets...and I still didn't get any of the elite rewards (Voth Cybernetic Implants), because some a-hole minced the Rex at the outskirts in 3 seconds, and I just wasn't fast enough to make it to the other Rexes, and the Rex phase was over...with 0 Voth implants awarded. I didn't even get a chance to deal any damage to the Rex, even with 3 pets (Combat Tardigrade + Nanopulse Targ + Targ of Gre'thor), because someone else killed it in seconds.
    > I lament I wasn't any wiser in taking screenshots of the user's handle. I might have to start taking screenshots of user handles at every Voth rex spawn site...

Naming and shaming people is not allowed in the forums, you will have to blur the name out. With that said, yesterday I was in the right place at the right time and defeated the T-rex. I was not camping. Apparently at the time, there was little or no people in my instance of the Dyson Battlezone.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    sthe91 wrote: »
    > I agree with @captainkoltar here; I was in the Voth ground battlezone, and I unfortunately DID camp and spawned in 3 pets...and I still didn't get any of the elite rewards (Voth Cybernetic Implants), because some a-hole minced the Rex at the outskirts in 3 seconds, and I just wasn't fast enough to make it to the other Rexes, and the Rex phase was over...with 0 Voth implants awarded. I didn't even get a chance to deal any damage to the Rex, even with 3 pets (Combat Tardigrade + Nanopulse Targ + Targ of Gre'thor), because someone else killed it in seconds.
    > I lament I wasn't any wiser in taking screenshots of the user's handle. I might have to start taking screenshots of user handles at every Voth rex spawn site...

Naming and shaming people is not allowed in the forums, you will have to blur the name out. With that said, yesterday I was in the right place at the right time and defeated the T-rex. I was not camping. Apparently at the time, there was little or no people in my instance of the Dyson Battlezone.

My intention was not to publicly name them; I take screenshots of their handles and general area before I put them on Ignore (so I can remember why I put them on Ignore in the first place). Usually whenever I post grievances in the Zone chat, 9 out of 10 times that same user would respond with "go cry some more" or "git gud," so...off to the Ignore bin they go.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

My intention was not to publicly name them; I take screenshots of their handles and general area before I put them on Ignore (so I can remember why I put them on Ignore in the first place). Usually whenever I post grievances in the Zone chat, 9 out of 10 times that same user would respond with "go cry some more" or "git gud," so...off to the Ignore bin they go.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • erdi#1371 erdi Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Because it was an Endeavor, I had to be there and to play it fair to other players, I wanted to do my part in unlocking zones. What should normally turn out to be a simple task turned out to be a frustration that would take two hours, for which campers were 95% responsible. Not only because many players left the zone and so many zones were occupied again, but also simply because those campers just did nothing but nothing and if the end dino did appear, it was destroyed by those campers on one two three and I missed my reward for not being able to get to the other dinos in time. So waiting for the next round, like two hours, finally gave up without the reward the dinosaurs give. It did make me realize one thing, if I get another endeavor like this I won't do it anymore OR I'LL PARTICIPATE IN THE SYSTEM THAT REWARDS THE CAMPERS MORE than those who play the game as it is meant to be. Something really should be done about this and I know there have been several topics, but if I post something there, they will be considered a dead topic and closed. In a way they should start calling for ignoring that zone until they finally realize that something is up and they finally realize that they should listen more carefully to the players' frustration on this subject. I used to like going there because it was a place to quickly collect a certain amount of dilitium, but now with those campers that put down a dino with one shot (sometimes without shooting themselves) I thank you for it.

Translated by Google
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,735 Community Moderator
    /merged threads
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Well, this topic was mentioned briefly in the recent livestream, and internal talks are happening.

There is an old Vulcan proverb - "I'll believe it when I see it." ;)

I prefer a different proverb: "Only someone with nothing to feel sorry about smiles at the back end of an elephant."

As for the matter at hand, I, too, only enter the Voth Ground Battlezone for the Endeavors. In addition to the campers, burners, etc..., the zone is too glitchy, laggy, and rubberbandy. It also seems to be inordinately susceptible to patches and updates for it's own good.

The sad part is that there are elements of that Zone that are pretty good.

Alas, the entertainment industry as a whole is notorious for learning the wrong lessons from success. Which brings us back to that old Vulcan proverb above.

EDITED TO ADD;

Honestly, I don't play in any of the Battlezones just for the sake of playing the game any longer. They are all Endeavor chases except for those instances in which I am testing a build. The same is true of certain System Patrols.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,735 Community Moderator
    FYI, V-Rex spawn camping is something that the devs are looking at.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • misterskimisterski Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    One thing they could do is put a shield on the big guys that requires a certain number of hits before the V-Rex can take damage. It could delay its death long enough for people to get to one of them at least unless you have a ton of campers.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    misterski wrote: »
    One thing they could do is put a shield on the big guys that requires a certain number of hits before the V-Rex can take damage. It could delay its death long enough for people to get to one of them at least unless you have a ton of campers.

There is one potential issue with that. If we are only counting individual hits, campers may switch to rapidfire multi hit weapons, and Engineer Campers may switch to turret/drone spam builds to get as many hits as possible in a short amount of time.

I think one discharge of an Autorifle delivers three hits.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    the most reasonable answer is auto beam everyone into the command center, and maybe even disable the transporters
    sig.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    Another issue is that Outskirts and Park are SOOOOO much easier to navigate than City.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Another issue is that Outskirts and Park are SOOOOO much easier to navigate than City.

I would argue to allow the use of the personal transporter module to cross the gaps between platforms, but it would turn into another have/not have issue.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,804 Community Moderator
    The issue with Vrex camping that's different than the too much DPS thread is that in that the campers are actually preventing people from getting rewards at all. Where as the people in the too much DPS thread are actually getting rewards, they just don't like how much they got to shoot to get those rewards.

They've done nothing to make the Vrex spawn, and in my book shouldn't be allowed to benefit from them. Where as the people who actually did make them spawn get nothing from them. Simplest solution would be to teleport everyone back to the command center when the Vrex's spawn. From there people have to actually teleport to the different zones. A more complicated solution is have a proper kill order on the Vrex such as City, Outskirts, Park as a hypothetical and make it an actual mechanic.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

I would argue to allow the use of the personal transporter module to cross the gaps between platforms, but it would turn into another have/not have issue.

Actually I think that's a fair solution. That module is pretty cheap to acquire if I'm not mistaken (been a while since I last checked its price).

Contrary to some other things that can only be obtained once a year, only used by a single career or which take weeks to get.

A solution along those lines might work even better if they found a way to make them accessible through other means, like adding them to a reputation as the first tier reward.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,217 Arc User
    Here is the one time where I think a Timer would be useful. Put a Timer up and say you have 1 minute or maybe a minute and a half to get to T'Rex. That way most people should have no issues at least to tag one T'Rex.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
    I'd like to know how they are killing the rexes so fast. I popped into a zone, I had the phaser cannon and 2 boolian cannons, the targs and a walker, Vjer probes, sompek lightning and hyperonic radiation, and still barely put a dent in it.
    sig.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    I'd like to know how they are killing the rexes so fast. I popped into a zone, I had the phaser cannon and 2 boolian cannons, the targs and a walker, Vjer probes, sompek lightning and hyperonic radiation, and still barely put a dent in it.

My personal favorite to kill T-Rex is mines and the dual mek'leth. If i have spare time to set up, transphasic.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,761 Arc User
    edited April 2023

This is an issue that has to be solved as well. Even if there were measures put in place to directly transport everyone in a zone to a V-Rex silo when it spawns, the V-Rex dies near instantly.

They could always make it harder and longer by adding more than one T-Rex (though treated as the current single dino per area for reward purposes). It could even be self-balancing, though I would recommend having the variables and formulae well documented and easy for the devs to adjust at the "control panel" level instead of having to wade through the code each time since finding the right balance could take a while, plus it would be handy for dealing with future power creep.

A good set of modifiers could be the number of people in that third of the Battlezone in that instance, and a special modifier for the number of campers there when the collection phase triggers.

The thing to keep campers from ruining it for everyone else is rather than have the dinos show up one at a time to be defeated in detail like the typical (and generally boring) timegate, have them all show up AT ONCE. That extra firepower should keep the campers busy long enough for the players who have actually been doing something time to get to the collection site much more effectively than just making the dino a bigger bullet sponge. A fine tuning could be to also throw in a horde of trash mobs as a sort of "decimal point" if the calculation comes out needing something like X.5 dinos instead of a whole number amount of dinos.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    krisxr400 wrote: »
    In the past if i got there first I'd wait for others to show up. I can't insta melt him anyways. I also do it in tfo's, I don't wana be "that player" that spoils the fun for others. In these modern times of poor sportsmanship and no consequences it seems the majority of ppl in general are a bunch self righteous and self entitled legends in their own minds, in game or in the real world. I didn't even bother to do that endeavour the other day, I knew what was gonna happen, and saw the complaints in the chat over that two day period. Power creep needs to be addressed, either nerf op skills/weapons/abilities or buff the heck out of the enemies. I even tuned down my ship load outs, because it isn't fun to one hit everything.

A couple of days ago, with the universal endeavour being centred around the Battlezone, I saw people mention something similar in zone chat there. Something along the lines of 'if you're going to camp, you're likely to get credit anyway, so why take it down all the way?'

Unfortunately, as you rightly observe, few people seem to take in mind the needs of others. Which means that yes, I'm afraid that nerfs might be necessary.
    For this particular instance though, it would even suffice if some of the other suggestions (automatic beaming to the V-rex, a short countdown, beaming everyone to the command centre) were finally implemented.

I've said it before, and I will say it again: the Dyson ground BZ is designed for camping. Which is not to say Cryptic purposely made it so people could use it as a troll map, but essentially so: the way it's designed, and the speed at which the V-rex is generally defeated, being in proximity of one of the silo's is a prerequisite for completing the Endeavor. And, as many have said before me, it's also unnecessary. A simple 'Rally to nearest silo' button would solve the camping problem immediately. As long as Cryptic doesn't implement such a measure, ppl will just ensure they're close (aka: camp) when the Zone is nearing its completion. And you can't fault em for that, as to do so would be tantamount to asking them to sabotage their own Endeavour run.

Also, it seems they've beefed-up the V-rex a bit, but not nearly enough. It needs to be tougher; like 1 sweep of its tail should instantly render you unconscious. Things like that will at least help others to arrive in time to help.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager
    Spoke to the team about this in Leads this morning, and we're gonna take a look at it again, see if we can't figure out how to get this to where you can't just camp and steal the V-rex rewards.
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    I have not played the battle zone too much recently, but the zone just needs to be brought back up to date. Mobs are what level 55, when we are level 65 on top of power creep. A simple fix for the rex could be if posable to only allow direct weapons damage to hurt it with no buffs. so that we are taking longer to kill it. Since what people want with the rex is just a longer kill time like we used to have so most would have a chance to tag it. Or just throw a bunch of resistance buffs on top of it. We have always had people waiting for the rex back when the zone was first built, you would see like 99% of the zone waiting on the rex and one guy finishes the last part of the map to pop said rex. You would still have enough time to tag at least 2 rexes, three with a few speeds buff or better use of the transporters.

Just hoping whatever fix, you come up with is more level handed and does not kill the zone. What I have always liked about it was that you could just jump in and out and have fun its less likely you will die at this point than when first brought into the game, but it is still fun and needs updating or a tweaks than anything else.
    Spoke to the team about this in Leads this morning, and we're gonna take a look at it again, see if we can't figure out how to get this to where you can't just camp and steal the V-rex rewards.

Thanks for the update, good to know it's getting the necessary attention.
    I have not played the battle zone too much recently, but the zone just needs to be brought back up to date. Mobs are what level 55, when we are level 65 on top of power creep. A simple fix for the rex could be if posable to only allow direct weapons damage to hurt it with no buffs. so that we are taking longer to kill it. Since what people want with the rex is just a longer kill time like we used to have so most would have a chance to tag it. Or just throw a bunch of resistance buffs on top of it. We have always had people waiting for the rex back when the zone was first built, you would see like 99% of the zone waiting on the rex and one guy finishes the last part of the map to pop said rex. You would still have enough time to tag at least 2 rexes, three with a few speeds buff or better use of the transporters.

Just hoping whatever fix, you come up with is more level handed and does not kill the zone. What I have always liked about it was that you could just jump in and out and have fun its less likely you will die at this point than when first brought into the game, but it is still fun and needs updating or a tweaks than anything else.

I doubt that any of the oft-proposed changes would kill the zone.

The main draw of the zone is probably the large rewards (and perhaps Endeavours too). If those remain unchanged for players who are actually and actively participating, then I don't expect a big departure of players from the zone.

A few campers might visit the zone less often, but I doubt they'd be missed much.
This discussion has been closed.