What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

🪐 "Strange New Worlds" Discussion 🪐

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    New teaser:

Some are guessing this is actually a clip from the show's opening credits and theme. If so I actually really like it, although I also hope there is a "Space...the final frontier" part at the beginning or end :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Hopefully, it has more of the optimistic exploration vibe of previous Star Trek series and less of the grim galactic or universe crisis vibe of Discovery and Picard.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Hopefully, it has more of the optimistic exploration vibe of previous Star Trek series and less of the grim galactic or universe crisis vibe of Discovery and Picard.

They specifically said it will be. It's also episodic, and every episode is a new story. I can't wait :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,523 Arc User
    edited April 2022

They specifically said it will be. It's also episodic, and every episode is a new story. I can't wait :)

True, it will be good to finally have new Trek series that is not trying to be a cross between Fast and Furious and the Mission Impossible movies in space, and with ten stories per year instead of one overly drawn out one.
  • Options

True, it will be good to finally have new Trek series that is not trying to be a cross between Fast and Furious and the Mission Impossible movies in space, and with ten stories per year instead of one overly drawn out one.

Well, TBH I think SNW will still be pretty action-packed. I only meant it is not supposed to be the grimdark constant-crisis of Disco/Picard. But for better or worse, I'm pretty sure that "Action-Trek" is just going to be part of any modern Trek show.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    The cast looks good so far, but I am a bit disappointed with the exterior ship design. I never was a big fan of streamline moderne applied to vehicles (it has some charm in buildings though) and it is not a good substitute for the original's googie aesthetics.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Well, TBH I think SNW will still be pretty action-packed. I only meant it is not supposed to be the grimdark constant-crisis of Disco/Picard. But for better or worse, I'm pretty sure that "Action-Trek" is just going to be part of any modern Trek show.

TOS to Enterprise had plenty of action, but there is only a few seasons in old Star Trek that had the constant crisis like the Dominion War or Xindi War. However, the Dominion War in DS9 seems like it was influenced by Babylon 5.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > TOS to Enterprise had plenty of action, but there is only a few seasons in old Star Trek that had the constant crisis like the Dominion War or Xindi War. However, the Dominion War in DS9 seems like it was influenced by Babylon 5.

A bold statement, considering the two shows were already so similar to begin with 🤪 I know there is no actual plagiarism involved, but the timing was very, very 'suspicious' 😅
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > TOS to Enterprise had plenty of action, but there is only a few seasons in old Star Trek that had the constant crisis like the Dominion War or Xindi War. However, the Dominion War in DS9 seems like it was influenced by Babylon 5.

A bold statement, considering the two shows were already so similar to begin with 🤪 I know there is no actual plagiarism involved, but the timing was very, very 'suspicious' 😅

It is not that weird when you take the Hollywood atmosphere at the time along with finances into account.

Science fiction was still often a hard sell because of the higher expense and Paramount was already deeply committed in Trek, so when it came time to do a spinoff of TNG, Paramount wanted a format that could be done primarily with bottle episodes. The obvious solution to that (and a good way to complement and not compete with TNG) was to set it on a station.

JMS was working on Babylon5 since the early 1980s as a more down to earth "diplomacy and commerce" show that used the very unusual for the time novel-style strongly arc-threaded format. The natural setting for such a show was a fixed crossroads location rather than galivanting around the galaxy, where the rising tide of war was all the more tense because they could not just pick up and move at a moment's notice.

And in both cases, the 1960s antiwar protests created a stigma in Hollywood against war stories except for Star Wars and other lite Errol Flynn style romps, but by the '90s that had settled out to the point where the time was ripe for some serious sci-fi war stories, and the drama of being in a fixed position while things happened all around them was just as valid for both series.

They were almost the opposite in a lot of ways too, B5 was a bright spot of hope in a rather dark and treacherous universe while DS9 was a dark sector on the edge of an otherwise bright and hopeful Federation were the situation was swiftly turning to fecal matter and the station personnel were scrambling to keep it from spiraling down the toilet drain completely while Starfleet headquarters continually underestimated and otherwise failed to comprehend the gravity of what was happening out there on the border far from their ivory towers until it was almost too late.
  • Options

Damn, what a show this is going to be!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I AM EXCITE!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I AM EXCITE!

Yep!

And of course, obligatory Faith of the Heart cover:

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Strange New Worlds is not perfect by the first half of its first season. Most of the laughs lines and bits land, but some fall a bit flat. Canon is respected, but sometimes it is strained. The commentary is thought-provoking but in at least one case approaches the preachy.
    Sounds a lot like TOS to me. I'm sold!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    So... someone actually put the Enterprise theme to the opening of Strange New Worlds... and it actually works with it pretty well...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjtruVegmU

Also... I just love this version of the Enterprise herself. The awesome and hype is real.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Also... I just love this version of the Enterprise herself. The awesome and hype is real.

I agree; the connie has never looked better IMO :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

I agree; the connie has never looked better IMO :)

I have to disagree, the original looked better design wise, but the SNW one is the best of the knockoffs.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    the props all look great, but the cast has me doubtful. M'Benga should not be on the Enterprise, it should be Phil Boyce. then there are two of Khan's kids on the ship?? really? Uhura is there but not Sulu? (neither should be there, but that's beside the point)
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    the props all look great, but the cast has me doubtful. M'Benga should not be on the Enterprise, it should be Phil Boyce. then there are two of Khan's kids on the ship?? really? Uhura is there but not Sulu? (neither should be there, but that's beside the point)

This is after Cage, so the crew could have changed between Cage and SNW, allowing for M'Benga to be CMO before McCoy. And honestly Uhura doesn't bother me since she's fresh out of the academy.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Uhura should probably be an ensign instead of a cadet, but the movies got that wrong too (with Saavik. The Kobyashi Maru test is command school, not basic program, so Saavik would have been at least a Lt. jg, and graduated a full Lt.). "Cadet" is only used in the basic program, where raw recruits go in and ensigns come out, and cadets only go on short trips, not full deployments like Uhura is apparently doing in SNW.

Kirk's bio on Memory Alpha shows the pattern that Starfleet uses, which is Basic (which graduates as ensign) followed by their first full deployment (in Kirk's case on the Republic), then when they are Lieutenant jg and ready for full Lt. they are rotated back to command school (or department head school for science, medical, and engineering) where they graduate as full Lt. and go off on regular duty (Kirk was assigned to the Farragut) with no more promotion ceilings like the one between Lt. jg and full Lt.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Um, Memory Alpha is no more authoritative on such matters than the novels. In several organizations, the "cadet cruise" can be and has been a full deployment of at least one year; such a cruise is taken after the cadet has completed the in-class portion of their education, in order to give them a little practical experience before commissioning. Ask any US Navy vet about LTs, and you may find yourself wishing we still did that...

Also, Saavik was a Lieutenant, or at least a LTjg - she's referred to as such in dialog, and wears LT insignia on her uniform in the movie.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User

This is after Cage, so the crew could have changed between Cage and SNW, allowing for M'Benga to be CMO before McCoy. And honestly Uhura doesn't bother me since she's fresh out of the academy.

If she were out of the academy she wouldn't be a cadet, she'd be an ensign
    Uhura should probably be an ensign instead of a cadet, but the movies got that wrong too (with Saavik. The Kobyashi Maru test is command school, not basic program, so Saavik would have been at least a Lt. jg, and graduated a full Lt.). "Cadet" is only used in the basic program, where raw recruits go in and ensigns come out, and cadets only go on short trips, not full deployments like Uhura is apparently doing in SNW.

Kirk's bio on Memory Alpha shows the pattern that Starfleet uses, which is Basic (which graduates as ensign) followed by their first full deployment (in Kirk's case on the Republic), then when they are Lieutenant jg and ready for full Lt. they are rotated back to command school (or department head school for science, medical, and engineering) where they graduate as full Lt. and go off on regular duty (Kirk was assigned to the Farragut) with no more promotion ceilings like the one between Lt. jg and full Lt.
    You shouldn't take anything memory alpha says at face value. Thats just stuff random people put in there
  • Options
    If she were out of the academy she wouldn't be a cadet, she'd be an ensign

Its pretty much the same situation as Tilly in s1 of Discovery. And jonsills hit the nail on the head.
    jonsills wrote: »
    In several organizations, the "cadet cruise" can be and has been a full deployment of at least one year; such a cruise is taken after the cadet has completed the in-class portion of their education, in order to give them a little practical experience before commissioning.

For all intents and purposes, that would mean Uhura is pretty much fresh out of the Academy, she just hasn't had the graduation ceremony yet. She's getting the actual field experience required to graduate.