test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

🪐 "Strange New Worlds" Discussion 🪐

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Yea... entirely possible. I have no idea what the forums look like on mobile as I'm on PC.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Yea... entirely possible. I have no idea what the forums look like on mobile as I'm on PC.

Rather terrible. I mean it's usable, but not too comfortable. As you can tell, I'm mobile right now. Mobile forums don't use BBCode (that's why there is no proper post quote but the >post thing above) and the scaling especially of embedded images in postings is way off. However, the option to upload a picture is there, I just never tried it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Rather terrible. I mean it's usable, but not too comfortable. As you can tell, I'm mobile right now. Mobile forums don't use BBCode (that's why there is no proper post quote but the >post thing above) and the scaling especially of embedded images in postings is way off. However, the option to upload a picture is there, I just never tried it.

Hm... yea I've noticed how the quote function doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    Could you run a test for me to see if it is a mobile issue by trying to post a picture? I'd like to nail this down as much as possible before shooting this up the chain, if at least to raise awareness of the issue.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    As for La'an Noonien-Singh being an Augment herself, we might be brewing an awful lot of soup from one bone. It's been over 200 years since the Eugenics Wars, the degree of ancestry might well be similar to my degree of ancestry from, say, Charlemange (who had a lot of kids, not all legitimate or acknowledged). After all, "Singh" is the sixth most common surname in the world today...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    At best we know that she is related to him as that was confirmed by the actors and showrunners. HOW that will play into the show is another question. Its entirely possible she is ignorant of her ancestry or even actively trying to distance herself from it, you know... "judge me by my actions and not my ancestor". We just don't know.
    We need context, which will only come with the new show.
    And as Lorca said... Context is for Kings. ;)

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    The entire reason companies release trailers/details about shows that have not yet come out is to excite fans and get them to talk, theorize, debate, etc. Aka, "create buzz".

Anyone who wants to take a "let's just wait and see" attitude and does not want to see people debate small bits of details they don't really know anything about should not read threads about shows that have not yet come out.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Hm... yea I've noticed how the quote function doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    > Could you run a test for me to see if it is a mobile issue by trying to post a picture? I'd like to nail this down as much as possible before shooting this up the chain, if at least to raise awareness of the issue.

I'm posting Batman eating rice, uploaded from my phone.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Huh... not the same result but... also not right... hm...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Hm... yea I've noticed how the quote function doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    > Could you run a test for me to see if it is a mobile issue by trying to post a picture? I'd like to nail this down as much as possible before shooting this up the chain, if at least to raise awareness of the issue.

I'm posting Batman eating rice, uploaded from my phone.
    It showed up as a clickable link, so... progress, I suppose?

Also, nice use of Batmetal. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > And now we have a new Kirk:
    >
    > https://www.startrek.com/news/paul-wesley-joins-the-cast-of-strange-new-worlds

Why was that even necessary? Isn’t he supposed to be on the Farragut? Talk about milking nostalgia for money.

The universe only gets smaller when they use old characters and aliens. There are an actual infinite number of stars in the universe—and only 4.1 billion Earth-like suns in our Galaxy. How many aliens have we seen in Star Trek? 100? Star Trek is an intellectual property with infinite potential and yet we are stuck talking forever about a handful of ships and people.

If som were here he would talk about how Star Trek has already told every possible story or because most of the galaxy has been discovered in Trek— it means that the viewer too has already met all the aliens. There is nothing left to explore.

I highly doubt it. It seems to me the writers are either trapped by the phantom—the ghost of Star Trek history—or the studio is.

The Farragut incident (where Kirk first encounter the Cloud Creature killed in TOS S2 - Obsession) occurred about the same time as Pike's and the 1701 first encounter with the Talosians in "The Cage" - so it 4 to 5 years later for Kirk if the encounter with him takes place circa 2259-2260.

The first encounter with the Talosians was in 2254 when Kirk was 21 and would have been an ensign or lieutenant jg on the USS Republic, and according to A Private Little War was still on the Republic as late as 2255 when he was in charge of the ground team in the survey of Neural.

It is probable that the favorable result of that covert study mission resulted in him being put up for promotion to full lieutenant where he was rotated back to the Academy for command school. He could not have been at the academy for too long because he was on USS Farragut by 2257, so it is highly likely that the references to his being an instructor was part of command school, such as being assigned a coterie of basic program cadets to teach and whip into shape as part of his own command training.

The last solid information on Kirk past that point and before his taking command of USS Enterprise in 2265 that can be pinpointed by time is the incident with the dikironium cloud creature in 2257 where he was still considered a new full lieutenant but on board long enough to have the kind of tight bonds with the rest of the crew that his actions in Obsession imply.

It is probable that if SNW is set shortly after USS Discovery's jump to the future in 2258 that Kirk would still be serving on the Farragut, either still as a full lieutenant or possibly as a Lt. Cmdr (though it is probably too early for the latter).

It is implied that early in the 2260s that Kirk was given command of a ship (Roddenberry used to say a destroyer, but it was never in any official information) and had such success that he was given command of a capital ship (Enterprise) much earlier than normal.

Personally, I think it would have been more interesting to have had Kirk appear in the show later, in command of that destroyer with his XO Gary Mitchel (apparently the only other person to make the move from that ship to Enterprise in 2265) for a double cameo (and in the case of Mitchel a kind of macabre parallel to Pike's own dark fate).

Hopefully Kirk is not on Enterprise under Pike's command since his logs in the second pilot make it clear that he does not know Spock very well at that point and does not entirely trust him yet, a situation that is unlikely if he served under Pike and Spock on the Enterprise.

They may have Kirk in command of a smaller ship - and while IN command, he would effectively be called 'Captain' (if they went by Navy rules) - and might be permitted to wear the insignia of a Captain while executing said ship command.

but yeah, I guess we'll know one way or the other by NEXT year.

(But hey, I don't think Kirk got all his awards, medals, decorations and commendations while an Ensign or Lt. serving under the command of someone else - but who knows...);)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > links
    >

It is nice to see that they plan on developing the crew characters a little more than the first few seasons of Discovery. They might actually do this one right. Can’t wait for May the 5th be with you—or is it 5st?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I spy... Tholians...
    Also love that Date analogy for getting close to something. That was funny.
    "First Date or Third Date?"
    "Blind Date."
    "Proceeding with Caution sir."

That was funny.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Okay, the more I see this take on the TOS uniform, the more I like it. And the characters seem really fleshed out compared to another Star Trek show's first season I know. . ;)

I'm trying really hard not to get too hyped for this show, but boy is it difficult. Why can't it be May already?! :'(
  • Options
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    An Aenar? About damn time one shows up somewhere - a race that only showed up once in official material and never again for over a decade...now maybe they'll do something with Remans too.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyone notice how the phaser pistols look like a step between the DSC and TOS phaser pistol? I know its a blink and miss it thing but the color and design are TOS, while retaining a coule DSC features like the setting indicator light.
  • Options
  • Options
    Welp. That confirms it. This is post DSC s2. Pike is haunted by knowing how his life pretty much ends.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    New trailer and new poster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

This show is going to be so damn good :D
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Hey guys... You're gonna love this. Some props from SNW were revealed in Chicago.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/04/09/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-props-revealed-at-star-trek-mission-chicago/?fbclid=IwAR0pUdfhMQlhQ5zmeMc9ID-2xqqvDIgTxDoGY80zPaBEk_OCsTbjm6wqS0E

I just wanna say... now that we get a GOOD look at the phaser... I approve. That is an AWESOME modernized TOS Phaser.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Hey guys... You're gonna love this. Some props from SNW were revealed in Chicago.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/04/09/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-props-revealed-at-star-trek-mission-chicago/?fbclid=IwAR0pUdfhMQlhQ5zmeMc9ID-2xqqvDIgTxDoGY80zPaBEk_OCsTbjm6wqS0E

I just wanna say... now that we get a GOOD look at the phaser... I approve. That is an AWESOME modernized TOS Phaser.

Okay, the phaser and communicator are absolutely gorgeous. I want one! :p

Is it me, or does the tricorder seem a bit... blocky? Even compared to the TOS one?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Okay, the phaser and communicator are absolutely gorgeous. I want one! :p

Is it me, or does the tricorder seem a bit... blocky? Even compared to the TOS one?

It looks like it might be a bit shorter but wider than the original, as well as more angular, and that would tend to give it a blockier look.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    The more I see of SNW, the more I want it to be here right now.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.