test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is everyone doing around the world with the Coronavirus Isolation

Comments

• reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,378 Arc User
    Media probably focuses on the death number because it is more likely to get people to treat this seriously. If they focused on the recovery number then more people (especially young people) might be encouraged to dismiss the situation as not a big deal and ignore stay at home orders, which could increase the spread and lead to more deaths.
    Whilst that does make some sense, offering absolutely NO glimmer of hope is not a good thing either.

I was on the phone to one of our more elderly patients, who has been calling regularly for something resembling reassurance, for about 40 minutes earlier; the entire conversation revolved around how many people are dying from the virus, and it was pretty clear that her only insight into the virus is the (TV) news. My attempts to point out that the recovery rate is actually higher than the death rate fell on deaf ears. Sadly I doubt that I acheived much beyond being someone for her to talk to - these are people far more liable to beleive what they hear on the news over advice from a Healthcare worker.

Again - whilst I am definitely NOT saying that the virus shouldn't be taken seriously (indeed some are not taking it seriously enough) I do still take issue with the fact that the media are very rarely focusing on anything other than the numbers of deaths.
    Trust me - speaking from direct experience now - the impact that this, and the isolation, is having on people's mental health (something else that is receiving no real coverage) is bad - and is getting worse. The number of calls we (mental health team) are receiving from people who are struggling to/can't cope is definitely increasing and the media constantly bellowing "DOOM" is, as per the conversation I mentioned above, not helping!

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,473 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Media probably focuses on the death number because it is more likely to get people to treat this seriously. If they focused on the recovery number then more people (especially young people) might be encouraged to dismiss the situation as not a big deal and ignore stay at home orders, which could increase the spread and lead to more deaths.
    Whilst that does make some sense, offering absolutely NO glimmer of hope is not a good thing either.

I was on the phone to one of our more elderly patients, who has been calling regularly for something resembling reassurance, for about 40 minutes earlier; the entire conversation revolved around how many people are dying from the virus, and it was pretty clear that her only insight into the virus is the (TV) news. My attempts to point out that the recovery rate is actually higher than the death rate fell on deaf ears. Sadly I doubt that I acheived much beyond being someone for her to talk to - these are people far more liable to beleive what they hear on the news over advice from a Healthcare worker.

Again - whilst I am definitely NOT saying that the virus shouldn't be taken seriously (indeed some are not taking it seriously enough) I do still take issue with the fact that the media are very rarely focusing on anything other than the numbers of deaths.
    Trust me - speaking from direct experience now - the impact that this, and the isolation, is having on people's mental health (something else that is receiving no real coverage) is bad - and is getting worse. The number of calls we (mental health team) are receiving from people who are struggling to/can't cope is definitely increasing and the media constantly bellowing "DOOM" is, as per the conversation I mentioned above, not helping!

I wonder if this has to do with following the standard negative coverage of the US President that most of the media has been doing since his Presidential Candidate announcement in 2015. DOOM is never good in a crisis when morale needs to be kept up and a false sense of hope is always better than hearing about only DOOM. Now DOOM Eternal is good for keeping up morale in a crisis if someone is into slaughtering thousands of demons and DOOM might be good if someone is in the mood for retro games.

Which makes me wonder if DOOM threads are banned on this forum or just Doom threads.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,514 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I lost my mom a few months ago and I've been pretty much staying to myself after her death. We were close, so I'm still working through the loss.
    I'm an essential worker who works for the financial industry, but with all the stores and restaurants closing, we've been off work load wise and had to cut some hours. (better than lay-offs right?)

I have type 1 diabetes AND COPD, (I've had TWO bouts with bronchitis since this whole craziness started), Infact, I'm home with it now - I've been Isolating, bronchitis symptoms are VERY close to COVID, so I've been alone A LOT more than usual. I have no fever, some coughing and wheezing - and lost all sense of smell and taste with this latest bout. But I'm doing fine. TRYING to avoid the news right now, I live in a Boston suburb and the news can be scary when you're feeling under the weather.

I've been on social media. I have a pretty big yard and we've had some nice weather the past two days, I try to get out and enjoy some of it.
    I watch a lot of you-tube, listen to a lot of podcasts and of course play STO.
    It's been great playing STO and taking a break from "reality".
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,808 Arc User
    I've ordered a book to try and keep the mind occupied,
    The Roman Army, it covers the complete history of the Roman Army from 753 BC-475 AD.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 327 Arc User
      One more number to add to the gruesome statistics. My grandfather tested positive earlier this week, and he died sometime early this morning. My stepfather (this was his dad) and my mom are both sick. My brother and I are not, but we are still moving with the utmost caution.

I've said a number of times today, as it fell on me to make the announcement (my family either too ill, too grief-stricken, or too busy preparing for what comes next), that he made the mistake of trying to trivialize it. Even as late as yesterday. "Just a slight cough", he'd say. "I'm over the worst of it".

If you care at all for yourself or your families, DO NOT DOWNPLAY IT, and do not let them do it either. I get that you can't slap the TRIBBLE out of them if they start talking stupid - social distancing and what not - but be smart about it. Accept that it's real, accept that you CAN get it if you haven't already, and ACT ACCORDINGLY. Facemasks and hand sanitizer is our "new normal" now. Ignore it at your own risk.
      i2G6X0u.jpg
      "Let us redefine progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily follow that we must do that thing."
      - Federation President Ra-ghoratreii, Khitomer Conference opening ceremony, 2293

Real Join Date: October 2010
      Boris Johnson is out of hospital, the country needs leadership now more than ever.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,555 Arc User
        Last few weeks have been interesting in the Chinese sense. As a troubleshooter in an environmental company i am one of few who is familiar with the routine/diagnostic of various labs.

As more competing companies started sending orders for analyses to our firm (probably because they could no longer fill their personnel rosters) the personnel roster of our company is also creeping closer to a skeleton crew.

With the rules in the Netherlands stating that when you're not in one of the critical professions (e.g. healthcare) you're required to stay at home when someone in your direct family has a fever of38.1 degrees Celsius.

Been doing weeks of 45-50 hours for the past month. Almost collapsed from fatigue last Friday 11PM. Fortunately had a chance to rest over a long Easter weekend, but if our company is any indication the next pandemic may be Burnout.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
        edited April 2020
        Boris Johnson is out of hospital, the country needs leadership now more than ever.
        He isn't really much of a leader though. The UK entered this crisis with an underfunded health service close to breaking point, a tattered welfare safety net and a labour market where millions of jobs are insecure with workers only one wage packet away from penury. Lets not forget that the NHS he is now praising had staff reliant on food banks to live due to a pay freeze that lasted about seven years.

And lets also not forget that we're suffering the, frankly dire, consequences of Boris' preposterous "inaction plan" of letting the virus rip through the population for weeks in the crucial early stages, instead of enforcing social distancing, testing, contact tracing, quarantining the infected, and obtaining protective gear for NHS staff and other essential workers.

So you'll forgive me if I refuse to see him as some kind of miraculously recovered hero. HE is no hero - the heroes are the NHS staff who treated him. I refuse to praise him or the UK Government.

And frankly, Boris clapping for the NHS is like someone crying at the funeral of a dog they beat to death with a shovel.
        Post edited by reyan01 on

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 469 Arc User
        And frankly, Boris clapping for the NHS is like someone crying at the funeral of a dog they beat to death with a shovel.

Don't forget he's waiting to sell off the dog corpse for sausages to American pharma interests.

The mess you describe is WAI to people like him, on both sides of the pond.
        Worst part of this is that it's really nice weather atm in the UK and we can't go and enjoy it.
        The sheer boredom has become a greater enemy and it's just wearing me down to the point of anger with bouts of rage.
        NMXb2ph.png
          edited April 2020
          Worst part of this is that it's really nice weather atm in the UK and we can't go and enjoy it.
          The sheer boredom has become a greater enemy and it's just wearing me down to the point of anger with bouts of rage.

Well, I'm still working - but with the (little) free time I do get, I'm online playing through STO episodes arcs that I never completed with some chars. And when am not doing that I'm reading books - and if the weather is good I'm sitting in the garden to read them.

Escapism is a great answer to boredom.

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 921 Arc User
          @theraven2378 I understand where your coming from cause thats where I am now, I go out and I spend less than 5 min in a store and head back home maybe once a week. This is getting quite frustrating to be stuck at home and only be able to run in get what you need and run home to avoid contact with everyone else. Its actually getting sooo frustrating whats happening right now that half the time I go on the game and I have 0 ambition to play cause i am just soooooo worn from being stuck at home for over a month now with no end in sight.
          Came down with fatigue/cold/flu/covid last Tuesday. With insufficient tests available in the Netherlands testing is limited to medical personnel or vulnerable persons.

Since my symptoms are mild i will have to wait it out just as i would have if it was fatigue/cold/flu or covid.
          While i was looking forward to some time off i did not envision having to spend said time at home being feverish.
          This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
          questerius wrote: »
          Came down with fatigue/cold/flu/covid last Tuesday. With insufficient tests available in the Netherlands testing is limited to medical personnel or vulnerable persons.

Since my symptoms are mild i will have to wait it out just as i would have if it was fatigue/cold/flu or covid.
          While i was looking forward to some time off i did not envision having to spend said time at home being feverish.

Hope you feel better soon!

questerius wrote: »

The worst part about the coronavirus is people that are asymptomatic since they are accidentally spreading the virus without realizing they should self-isolate. At least with a cold or flu, it is easy to know to self-isolate even without this pandemic. Hope you get better soon.
          I'm just mentally drained to the point that I'm lethargic.
          It's either be bored out of my skull or go back to bed some days.
          NMXb2ph.png
            edited April 2020
            I'm just mentally drained to the point that I'm lethargic.
            It's either be bored out of my skull or go back to bed some days.

Well, this may or may not be helpful - but our NHS service has been sending out helpsheets to patients. The wording of the helpsheets is as follows (although was obviously necessary for me to omit parts which recommend contacting the local NHS service as that isn't relevant here):

In these uncertain and stressful times we know that our emotional wellbeing needs extra attention, as our normal way of life is disrupted and our plans are put on hold. Unfortunately, some of the things we all do to look after our wellbeing are being affected too, because we cannot join in with things we usually enjoy, and it is harder to keep in touch with others. We may also have worries about our loved ones or our own health.
            It is completely normal for us all to be experiencing difficult feelings at the moment, such as, feelings of boredom, low motivation, stress, difficulty sleeping, low mood, irritability and anger. These reactions are normal responses to this extraordinary situation we find ourselves in.

We want to support you with some suggestions of what to do to look after your emotional wellbeing.

Use coping strategies that you already know work well for you, to help you to deal with any worry or anxiety that may come up. If you would like more advice or resources regarding managing anxiety, please contact us.
            If you can, try to focus on the most important, achievable, and immediate tasks; what can be done over the next hour or next day rather than weeks into the future.

Where possible, try not to stay in the same room for too long without getting some fresh air or a change of scene to a different space in your home.

You may find it helpful to limit how long you spend listening to the news, so as not to become overwhelmed with too much or conflicting information.

It is really important to try and keep some structure to our lives when times get tough, so that we adapt and a make a ‘new normal’. Some routine is better for us than none and after a few days in your new routine you will feel more in control again.

You can access guided mindfulness and relaxation exercises from HeadSpace on YouTube. This can help with feelings of anxiety.

Your local area may have a Facebook support group for people at home at the moment.

Lastly, please remember it is normal to have good and bad days as we go through this difficult time.

Another 3 weeks of hell to go before it's reviewed again.
            NMXb2ph.png
              izgZzKq.png

izgZzKq.png

You forgot the Netherlands in that one: Business as usual
            • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,036 Community Moderator
              d515muw-b590d57a-dd85-4fe0-bd0a-917f38a73a7d.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi9iZmM4ZGUwYS0yNzZiLTRmYjMtOTI1My0yYzc0OWJhM2UzMDgvZDUxNW11dy1iNTkwZDU3YS1kZDg1LTRmZTAtYmQwYS05MTdmMzhhNzNhN2QuZ2lmIn1dXX0.uuJFB3Y1PRbvKeojHJRzYzZeTVHILHUXjSmSPYIGev0

Heaven forbid if the barbie is canceled. All hell will break loose!
              Then again... I'm American and not Australian.
              66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
              I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
              The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
              The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
            • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,119 Arc User
              rattler2 wrote: »
              d515muw-b590d57a-dd85-4fe0-bd0a-917f38a73a7d.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi9iZmM4ZGUwYS0yNzZiLTRmYjMtOTI1My0yYzc0OWJhM2UzMDgvZDUxNW11dy1iNTkwZDU3YS1kZDg1LTRmZTAtYmQwYS05MTdmMzhhNzNhN2QuZ2lmIn1dXX0.uuJFB3Y1PRbvKeojHJRzYzZeTVHILHUXjSmSPYIGev0

The whole "Australia treats BBQ's as a holy grail" is a bit overstated :) and this is coming from an Australian :)

If we were to lose our Vegemite supplies or completely ran out. God help the world cause we would be coming for you lol
              kXx65VK.jpg
            • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,849 Arc User
              you know, i've seen several videos of non-australians trying vegemite over the past few months...they have universally been disgusted by it

i don't think you need to worry about running out of it any time soon, and i also think the statement of australians overwhelmingly enjoying it is as equally overstated as the barbie statement​​
              Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

blacklivesmatter.png

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
              An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
              A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
              A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
              Passion and Serenity are one.
              I gain power by understanding both.
              In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
              I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
              The Force is united within me.
            • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,119 Arc User
              you know, i've seen several videos of non-australians trying vegemite over the past few months...they have universally been disgusted by it

i don't think you need to worry about running out of it any time soon, and i also think the statement of australians overwhelmingly enjoying it is as equally overstated as the barbie statement​​

Alot of those people dont know how to spread vegemite or how little you actually need to use. Tom Hanks while he was here actually said he learnt how to :)

Too many people in those videos spread it far too thick.
              kXx65VK.jpg

I learnt about vegemite from this:

foxman00 wrote: »

The whole "Australia treats BBQ's as a holy grail" is a bit overstated :) and this is coming from an Australian :)

If we were to lose our Vegemite supplies or completely ran out. God help the world cause we would be coming for you lol

Exactly the same as the way the UK is perceived to treat Tea as a holy grail really. It's just a silly stereotype.

It's only an 18th century and onwards thing
              NMXb2ph.png
              • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,849 Arc User
                foxman00 wrote: »

Exactly the same as the way the UK is perceived to treat Tea as a holy grail really. It's just a silly stereotype.

yeaaaaaaa...no - i have firstpaw experience with at least one person for whom it is most certainly NOT a stereotype​​
                Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

blacklivesmatter.png

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
                An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
                A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
                A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
                Passion and Serenity are one.
                I gain power by understanding both.
                In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
                I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
                The Force is united within me.
                Tea, a nice escape atm
                NMXb2ph.png
                  Little update: Back at work today.
                  Not yet at full steam, but fit enough to work a 9 hour shift without difficulty.

Always nice to know the busy days continue even without me. The pile of work was impressive though.