test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

10th Anniversary Legendary Starships - Discussion Thread

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I'm ok with some ships, like lockbox, lobi and promo locked in the bundle, i understand... but the rest of the ships??, sorry, but that's a no-go for me, really love those ships, but i love my money more, and this comes from a guy that buys new ships on release! and even when there is no sale!... anyway, i'll just wait for other ships to be released, this does not mean i'm not going to buy more ships if i like them, it's just that i'll pass on this bundle, thanks! (and this comes from a semi-whale)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    It's whale-bait. Transparent, borderline predatory whale-bait.

Like... okay, fine, I get why the lockbox/lobi ships can't be sold individually. You can't just go around undermining your biggest cashflow generator like that.

But why in blue blazes can't you release the ships that are already available in the C-Store? Do they actually think no one would be willing to drop full T6 ship price on a Pilot Defiant? Do they not think a bundle comprised half of ships that aren't normally available via C-Store isn't enough of a selling point on its own?

I just can't wrap my head around why they're choosing to do things this way. Why would you put all this work into making such a cool anniversary event just to take a steaming dump all over it with such a terrible, consumer-unfriendly bundle?

Well my guess is that you me and every one else as a consumer is not a consideration. If anything i have found a long time player is not the focus for them the chase is for a new player a player not effected by the years of these type of things and see it as a starting cost. Sure this is high but how could it be this all the time?

As it stands every other mmo i have seen targets one of two types. They either chase the whale and that player is all that matters. Or nickel and dime every one to generate the income so that the unlimited grind can be passed. The only consideration of the lesser players is for the whale to show what they have and others don't. If you had no others with out. All the whale's would be sitting around looking at everyone else having the same thing. And that's no fun for them so they stop.

Over all it has been a slow march but its telling with the latest set that we can all guess where and what the focus is. we had ships for ec. then dil. And at a point the ships all are zen only at top level now. But a zen ship is a single purchase and finished we cant have that now so then we get lock box's. A almost unquestioned evil and hated in general but its for the good of the game. But have no fear its odds are hidden as to the results and called gambling box's but we are wrong see you are not buying the box you are buying zen then keys a known cost and item. so no gambling involved. o and as for the box contents its a slot machine but wrong again its a known item lobi and more is possible but a guarantee is 4 a known quality and a bonus door prize. I am sure every one can see where this is going and as the former box's are being looked in to well can we say mudd's?

And now lock box ships that are rare and not to be sold to individuals as what was it. CBS wanted them rare? Not everyone to have them so in the prize packs and lock box's. Or was that also a part truth among many?

So i am interested to see the spin on this did CBS change there minds but only a window and you wish it could be longer? Or is it that they never had an issue? Or some other take on it.

In the end i guess we will see just what takes place but i think its fair to say we can tell the focus going forward. In the video one answer from "so 300$ for 10 ships but no content". This is a ship bundle some people play our game for ships.

I would say this is my last post in this thread best wishes to everyone in game. Have fun if you can. if not well best wishes.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    tigeraries wrote: »
    cause if they did the defiant then what about the others... even if you limit to non lock box ships... Oddysey had 3 versions right? Eng, Sci, Tac... that single ship will kill the 3 ship fed bundle. How would you price the ship as well... more than that bundle right cause you dont want to kill the bundle if it's too cheap... then will the other ships be priced similarly? if so why? so different price points for different hero ship? Sovereign has 2 right versions... 1 in Mudd's for a ridiculous amount...

"It's complicated"

Bundle only would save them a lot of headaches.

You're overthinking it.

You just price them like you would any other T6 ship. Release them with the fancy skin as defaul, swappable parts from previous compatible models (assuming you own them) just like every other T6 version of an older ship.

The bundle retains exclusivity of the various lockbox/lobi ship alternate skins, ergo it retains a great deal of its value withtout needlessly locking everything behind an exorbitant price tag.

EDIT: Just realized it took me so long to compose this that it got kicked to the next page, so without a quote it waslargely out of context. Edited to correct.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Here is the link to the comment:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/544728655?t=01h01m12s

Thanks to the folks on reddit for posting.
    Welp, there goes any ghost of a chance I had.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    or choose to not get it ever.

From what Kael said individual purchase isn't off the table in the future, but hasn't been fully decided on and definitely is not happening anytime soon. My personal suspicion is we might be looking at a 1 year bundle exclusive period or something like that.

so what 2 or 3 years from now?

Who knows, but like I said I personally expect it to be more like 1 year if it happens. I definitely understand how frustrating that kinda thing can be though, I myself am going to be waiting at least a year longer before I can play Final Fantasy 7 Remake because I prefer XBox + PC and that game is a timed exclusive for PS4. If the "mythical" individual purchase option happens that's how I would look at the situation, like another annoying timed exclusive.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    You just price them like you would any other T6 ship.
    That was never going to happen, if individual purchases were available or are ever available in the future they would have a premium price attached to them. $45-60 minimum imo.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited January 2020
    That was never going to happen, if individual purchases were available or are ever available in the future they would have a premium price attached to them. $45-60 minimum imo.

Why? Nothing included with any of the hero ships they could offer in the C-Store exceeds any other T6 C-Store ship with previous iterations. The fancy skin would just be default, and using skins from compatible ships has been a stock feature since day 1 of C-Store ships. There's absolutely nothing about these ships individually that excludes them from being 3k.

EDIT: *audible forehead slap* Of course, the account-wide traits. Personally I think this shouldn't raise the price of anything, since it should have been a stock feature as well, but I can't see this reasonably raising the price more than 500z.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Yep. The Defiant box when claimed gives you 9,500 zen worth of goodies, that the ship was designed to have.

Cryptic could create a separate ship box with the bare ship with the Valiant trait and possibly no new account-wide trait, but then they'd need to create additional code to trigger the costume unlocks on purchase instead of always being enabled. Extra effort just to sell it at a lower price.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Folks, whether you like this bundle and how it's being sold or not, let's keep the conversation civil. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    using skins from compatible ships has been a stock feature since day 1 of C-Store ships.

Yes, but you always needed to purchase the variant that introduced the skin or parts that you want to use, these ships include them all whether you purchased the previous variants or not, and also include all the consoles those variant ships came with as well. These aren't the same as the ships they've released before.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    using skins from compatible ships has been a stock feature since day 1 of C-Store ships.

Yes, but you always needed to purchase the variant that introduced the skin or parts that you want to use, these ships include them all whether you purchased the previous variants or not, and also include all the consoles those variant ships came with as well. These aren't the same as the ships they've released before.

Are we assuming this is some sort of massive technical hurdle to undo for individual ship sales? Because I don't think it would be.
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    well i know I will be buying it, not for the ships, i really could care less about them I am going to buy the so called Legendary traits. 10 new traits that it seems not all players will have. Hoping for some nice new phaser damage traits. Would make me pretty happy.

I own all these ships that they listed so far, unless they come out with tactical over powered weapon platform versions of them which they wont i really don't see a real reason to switch the ship other then the fact it has the terminology "Legendary" Behind it, is it really bragging rights to say i have a ship deemed legendary? Who knows that it's legendary or not? No one. So who cares. I mean i don't and didn't expect them to rival infinite ships or lock box ships. So i don't really mind.

i mean i spent 300.00 on a single ship... lol many single ships lol like almost all the infinite ships so i am fine with the idea of spending the same for 10 of them. I just want the traits to be stronger. strong enough to make me change my gaming habits and i am fine. I will find it worth the investment personally for me.

I understand that most of the players saw this as their chance to get these ships that a few of us not only fly daily but talk down on because we mothballed them after a few flights and now think its gone but that's not really true. Technically speaking if you saved di for a while you can still get it for free. especially the lifers.

The players that should be offended are players that already paid a ton into the game and in the end have to pony up more, but for some reason I'm not offended at all. 300.00 just isn't that much money to me so i don't really care. i mean... basically it's 10 legendary class ships lockox and cstore for 30.00. As i stated before i payed far more then that for ships i already mothballed and to top it off, They are better then cstore ships but a step down from infinity which i kinda feel miffed about. Legendary should surpass infinity.... but for 30.00 i see why it shouldn't... but still...
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    $300.00 for ships we’ve been begging for and account wide....yeah I’m game
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Are we assuming this is some sort of massive technical hurdle to undo for individual ship sales? Because I don't think it would be.

Sure, they could release the new variants individually with no console and only the Legendary trait + skin and make all the other stuff exclusive to the bundle, but then people would be complaining that it's not worth the full $30 price if it doesn't have a console. The promo, lockbox, and lobi ships also deserve premium pricing regardless due to how difficult they've been to obtain previously.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Sure, they could release the new variants individually with no console and only the Legendary trait + skin and make all the other stuff exclusive to the bundle, but then people would be complaining that it's not worth the full $30 price if it doesn't have a console. The promo, lockbox, and lobi ships also deserve premium pricing regardless due to how difficult they've been to obtain previously.

It could be solved if for unlock it, you have to have the other ships, as many of us do... i mean, it would be great if i can have access to the new ships, but i could settle to have access to the skins at least.. and paynig an aount of zen for the skin or something... so the bundle does not devalue, as it will keep the new ships... :wink:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    if you take a moment to read these things.... Each ship is coming with a slew of consoles and traits... and then to top it off they have legendary traits. You're not going to get just ten ships but like 20-40 consoles and 20-30-40 traits... for 300.00.... release the kraken I will buy it now without knowing what else they will release. I just don't really care... my only problem will be where the heck am I putting all these consoles... i need more bank space and how are the traits unlocked?

It it packaged in boxes to be opened and the account wide is listed at 5th? or are they all listed at 5th to be unleashed.

oh my, i wonder if they will have a zen sale soon, I can feel the hole in my pocket already from the heat of the debit card.

I applaud you cryptic, you found a away to get me to go back on my word of not buying anything or supporting the game after the discoprise weapon reshuffle. I tip my hat to you sirs and madams.

My word... this legendary pack literally for a player like me who only cares for traits would literally put an end to my desire to collect all the ship variants for their traits.... well that's going to save me a ton of work to collect di and zen. Now i have nothing to spend my t6 token on.
    well the opening release is 250.00 for the premium 29300, so nice, and if they do a sale between now and the 13 or on the 13th that would be even nicer.

Oh no I'm drooling....
    WoW is $180 per year, plus expansions.

While overall I agree with you, I'm compelled to point out that the cost of paying WoW is spread out over the course of an entire year, which is much more affordable overall than dropping $200 all at once.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Folks, whether you like this bundle and how it's being sold or not, let's keep the conversation civil. Thank you.

I think civil went out the window well before we found out the majority of the playerbase won't be able to touch the new ships anytime soon.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    WoW is $180 per year, plus expansions.

While overall I agree with you, I'm compelled to point out that the cost of paying WoW is spread out over the course of an entire year, which is much more affordable overall than dropping $200 all at once.

Yes, for most people it's easier to budget $270 at $15 a month then to spend $200 once in a year and a half.

It's a sign that they could stand to improve their financial planning, but it's how they are.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Like I said in the Miradorn thread. It's time to put up or shut up.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • skaterboi#1176 skaterboi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Who cares...all they have are JJ Trek connies, only thing worse would have been TRIBBLE. If theyre not tossing in ToS connies Im not wasting my money
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

Disgusting comment.

I plan to buy this pack, because I can and want to. But those that can't are more than welcome to express themselves in this thread as long as they are following the rules.

They don't need your disgusting attitude telling them to "shut up" just because you may not agree with their opinion.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Disgusting comment.

I plan to buy this pack, because I can and want to. But those that can't are more than welcome to express themselves in this thread as long as they are following the rules.

They don't need your disgusting attitude telling them to "shut up" just because you may not agree with their opinion.

In English, "put up or shut up" is a phrase asking someone to live up to their own past statements. It is not trying to silence anyone who disagrees with you:

----
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/put-up-or-shut-up

"If you say someone should put up or shut up, you mean that they should either take action in order to do what they have been talking about, or stop talking about it:"
    ---

In this context, it applies to the people who have been claiming they would buy lock box ships (that they want) from the C-Store, even at a higher price.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Disgusting comment.

In English, "put up or shut up" is a phrase asking someone to live up to their own past statements. It is not trying to silence anyone who disagrees with you:

----
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/put-up-or-shut-up

"If you say someone should put up or shut up, you mean that they should either take action in order to do what they have been talking about, or stop talking about it:"
    ---

In this context, it applies to the people who have been claiming they would buy lock box ships (that they want) from the C-Store, even at a higher price.

Yeah, I'm completely familiar with the phrase. And like your quoted definition says, it literally means a person should stop talking (aka shut up) if they aren't willing to do (insert the thing they said the would do).

But here is MY point: being hypocritical is not against the forum rules. People are completely free to say "I want this thing!" and then "But I didn't want it THAT way!". Whether you happen to agree with them or not, you don't get to tell them to STOP talking.

It's also a bad faith strawman argument to pretend that just because a person asked for something that they don't care at all about HOW they get it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Will I get to mount the second Quad Cannon with the one I've already purchased? How about all the other items I've already payed for? Will I get to double any of those?

If not, then why would I buy them again?

I would have purchased the Pilot Defiant without all the consoles because i already own them. Looks like my money is no good here.

That is why this and the Picard Bundle exert negative air pressure in the extreme.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Disgusting comment.

"Put up or shut up" is an expression. Just like "oh my god" is an expression and even people that don't believe in god will say it. I won't assume the worst with regard to your response and treat this as a misunderstanding on your part. People are PERFECTLY FREE to post whatever they want that is within the rules.

Now back to the topic at hand, many of us said over the years that we would buy lock box ships if they were in the c-store. Well, once again, now's our chance. I already have a sweet account wide Miradorn and I can't wait to get all the goodies in this pack. I think the ship I'm looking forward to the most so far is the Defiant. But I have a feeling that the Sovereign will be something special. I'm also hoping that the T6 Constitution is in there (as we all assume it will be). I'd love to have that on more than just my main going forward.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    They really SHOULD allow individual release right off the bat. Not only does it mean more money for them, it would also be a big deal for everyone who can't drop that much in one go.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.