What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Odyssey-class now canon?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    STO isn't considered canon in any case, as confirmed by Tacofangs. Just like the Klingon Academy game that takes place just before Undiscovered Country. And I hope to the gods that STO stays non-canon.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    153.6 meters? isn't that under half of what it's supposed to be?​​

Where are you getting that number from? The TOS Enterprise was officially 287meters long, while the DSC one is bloated out to 447meters. None of them were ever 153.6 meters except for maybe the never used pre-production one that had the entire teardrop the bridge instead of it being just the section under the sensor dome.

The TOS length is confirmed onscreen by these two graphics which were shown on the three-screen display unit on the conference table:

b04f62d2ba21b85205370b5d5f6db728--star-terk-starship-enterprise.jpg

shown in high resolution and as it appeared on the show itself:

latest?cb=20090218231811&path-prefix=en

Note that the scale is in feet in the graphic instead of meters so the Enterprise comes out to 948 feet (which is approximately 287 meters), not 948 meters.
    The image you took is almost certainly not what anyone was able to see when TOS was first released. It only become (barely) readable when they remastered TOS.

If we trust such display that weren't really expected to be visible when they made it, then we have to seriously accept that there is a giant rubberduck, a car, a plane, a giant mouse and a nomad probe aboard the Enterprise D.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/INOHCuX

It was the official length and there was no secret about it, just about every fan back in the day knew the figure. It was the length Jefferies told the model company who made the first plastic kits (and who provided the physical Klingon ship model that was used on the show btw) and anyone else who asked. It was the length that was on the internal documentation for the show concerning the ship, and all the shooting models are standard fractions of that length.

But since so many people are hung up on the "if it doesn't appear in the show it is not canon" thing I showed a frame of the scene where it did appear in the show. I even have a slide that is a copy of that picture on the table screen, they were available mail order and at many comic book shops along with a lot of other slides copied from the original films they shot the show with. Just because TV was not high-def back then does not mean fans could not read that stuff from other sources like those slides and prints from the show itself.

For that matter, that graphic was also reprinted in the early plastic model kits so anyone who bought one had that graphic and and a few paragraphs about the ship which also gave the length, width, and height (and other things like crew compliment) without having to measure it.

As for any Easter egg stuff on the MSD, it is not like they don't do that kind of silly illustration stuff in the real world, you would be surprised at some of the pictures that are on microchips for instance:

smithsonianchips.si.edu/chipfun/graff.htm
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    STO isn't considered canon in any case, as confirmed by Tacofangs. Just like the Klingon Academy game that takes place just before Undiscovered Country. And I hope to the gods that STO stays non-canon.

STO could be considered canon since it exists in a Parallel Universe and it is canon that Parallel Universes exist in the Star Trek universe due to the Parallels episode from TNG.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > STO could be considered canon since it exists in a Parallel Universe and it is canon that Parallel Universes exist in the Star Trek universe due to the Parallels episode from TNG.

Which makes it non-canon for the prime timeline...

People, stop throwing 'canon' around as is it was some weird seal of quality. It simply means 'things that new shows consider in-universe history of events and people'. The shows and movies will always trump other material, we'll see how much the new show is adapting from STO.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And this is why Temporal Mechanics gives me a headache. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZQk8Buamak

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > The only previous Oddysee-named ship we've seen in Star Trek was the Galayxy Class that got destroyed in the first Jem'Hadar encounter. Shouldn't a new Oddysee have the same registry number as that one? I have trouble believing they already had registry numbers in that number range, though it's possible we can never see the actual registry number in the episode.

I think the maintaining of registry was a rare thing. DS9’s Defiant didn’t keep the registry of the Constitution Class Defiant.

Yep, they could have just as easily given the N.C.C. 1701-A a different number. Instead they decided to keep with it in honour to the (April)/Pike/Kirk's Enterprise, and the rest was Alphanumerically history. (At least they mentioned Captain April, even if they kicked him off of the Enterprise, in Discovery).

They didn't "kick him off" - he was still the Enterprise's first Captain. He'd already completed one five-year mission between 2245 - 2250 (with Christopher Pike as his First Officer, as per the episode 'Brothers' ).
    latest?cb=20190723091302&path-prefix=en

Pike was subsequently given command of the Enterprise, presumably due to Robert April either being promoted or retiring, and had been her CO for at least one five-year mission by the time we saw the Enterprise at the end of Season 1 (2256).

Considering I had to strain my eyes to see Captain April listed on the graphic that you have posted, I can see how I missed that from my first/only viewing of that episode.

But thank you for posting the graphic, it's nice they didn't write him off the ship.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > STO could be considered canon since it exists in a Parallel Universe and it is canon that Parallel Universes exist in the Star Trek universe due to the Parallels episode from TNG.

People, stop throwing 'canon' around as is it was some weird seal of quality. It simply means 'things that new shows consider in-universe history of events and people'. The shows and movies will always trump other material, we'll see how much the new show is adapting from STO.

Well, if Picard takes anything from STO, I would prefer it ignores the whole thing of Donatra becoming borgified drek.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yeah, the woman deserved better than that after her part in helping stop shinzon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Well, if Picard takes anything from STO, I would prefer it ignores the whole thing of Donatra becoming borgified drek.

Or Species 8472 being named the Undine or infiltrating the Alpha Quadrant. Also, I would prefer it ignores that everything is an Iconian plot.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Considering nothing of the Iconians is really discovered until 2409/2410... is that really an issue?

And I just noticed that that display also has something about the ship's size besides just the nacelles. Unfortunately due to the display being a transparent panel... some lights behind that particular section make it hard to see the length. Its to the left of the nacelle stats and under Command History, listed as Overall Dimensions.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

No one is syaing the entire STO should be canon but if elements from the game (like the odyssey class) can easly become part of the lore.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options

No one is syaing the entire STO should be canon but if elements from the game (like the odyssey class) can easly become part of the lore.

Exactly, Star Trek series should steal what they want from STO just like how STO stole from other forms of Star Trek media. If any Star Trek series wants a bunch of ships created by Cryptic or part of a STO story arc, then they should be able to.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Or Species 8472 being named the Undine or infiltrating the Alpha Quadrant. Also, I would prefer it ignores that everything is an Iconian plot.
    Well
    -B'vat wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The Devidians weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Fek'Ihri weren't an Iconian plot
    -The True Way wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The 2800 wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The Breen weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Borg weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Tholians weren't an Iconian plot(though the Tholians were studying Iconian tech)
    -The Voth weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Temporal Cold War factions weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Tzenkethi weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Hur'q weren't an Iconian plot
    -J'Ula isn't an Iconian plot
    Most things in the game aren't an Iconian plot actually.

Mostly true, though the Voth and the Tzenkethi technically were part of the Iconian plot since
    the Dyson spheres were commissioned by the Iconians and used some of their tech (or something to that effect) and the Tzenkethi were under the influence of the Undine, who were in turn tricked into attacking voidspace by the Iconians.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Ships I hope make an appearance Star Trek TV from STO include the Jupiter Class Carrier and Multimission Science Vessels, Orion Corsair and Daciot FDCs, Risian Luxury Cruiser, Cardassian Intel Ships.
  • Options
    Mostly true, though the Voth and the Tzenkethi technically were part of the Iconian plot since
    the Dyson spheres were commissioned by the Iconians and used some of their tech (or something to that effect) and the Tzenkethi were under the influence of the Undine, who were in turn tricked into attacking voidspace by the Iconians.
    The Tzenkethi were never under the influence of the Undine, they were being manipulated by the Female Changeling.

You're right (I have not done those Tz missions in a while and must have gotten it mixed up with something else).
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, the woman deserved better than that after her part in helping stop shinzon​​
    On the upside they could fix her. :p Let the Doctor and 7 of 9 work on her for a few days. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Well
    -B'vat wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The Devidians weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Fek'Ihri weren't an Iconian plot
    -The True Way wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The 2800 wasn't an Iconian plot
    -The Breen weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Borg weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Tholians weren't an Iconian plot(though the Tholians were studying Iconian tech)
    -The Voth weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Temporal Cold War factions weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Tzenkethi weren't an Iconian plot
    -The Hur'q weren't an Iconian plot
    -J'Ula isn't an Iconian plot
    Most things in the game aren't an Iconian plot actually.

It is a joke based around Cryptic's first game where Everything is a Nemesis Plot.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is a joke based around Cryptic's first game where Everything is a Nemesis Plot.

RIP COH😢
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is a joke based around Cryptic's first game where Everything is a Nemesis Plot.

RIP COH😢

I suggest you check out the City of Heroes reddit for an interesting surprise.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    I suggest you check out the City of Heroes reddit for an interesting surprise.

And choose what server you want to play on wisely - they are most definitely not all equal in terms of who is running them.

Or you could run it yourself.
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The Odyssey is a worthy successor to the Sovereign Class and keeps with the core tenants of the Federation like the Galaxy Class did before. I welcome her into the family and I hope we get to see more, maybe even its own show. The Intrepid class got start because of Voyager so it might be possible for the Odyssey to get its own show eventually.

Eaglemoss even has an Odyssey Class model in its Star Trek collection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Well... it won STO's "Design the Next Enterprise" event years ago, and was even accepted by CBS. Not the first non canon design to be officially recognized by the IP Holders and adapted into Canon. I think one of the first was the Luna class from the novels, with the Vesta close behind.

The Odyssey does feel like a natural evolution in design. The idea of the twin necks improving FTL performance (I believe it was slipstream performance in STO) felt kinda Trek, and evolved the basic Hull/Saucer/Nacelle configuration that has been the cornerstone of Federation ship design since TOS.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)