test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Big Red alert Nerf

bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
AH-HAH-HAHA-AH-HAHA-AHA.

Yeah, so those who said there will be nerf were right. Hats off to you guys.

Well, I've always suspected when they finally put in the daily random instances, RAs will be nerfed. Still I think we need the daily even at the cost of losing RAs.
Tck7dQ2.jpg
Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Improved, not nerfed. That's good. Not as good as they used to be pre-queuification, but better.

Getting rid of the choice marks while they're at it would've been even better.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Can only speak for myself (obv), but Borg RA was basically the only queue I did, at whichever random time I logged on, for the choice marks.

Guess I'll just go back to leveling reps via Summer & Winter pet grinding. /shrug (that's how I did most reps, especially on alts, until some time in 2016 or so)

Eh, whatever.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It's both a nerf and an upgrade.

Big Nerf: Borg no longer available 24x7 for instant one-a-day-per-rep and ship mastery. It won't even be available most weekends?

Decent Buff: +30? marks after you already have the daily box, and no 30 minute cooldown.

It does force us to give up the monotony of Borg-Borg-Borg-Borg-Tholian-Borg-Borg-Borg- . . . for our own good?

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    It does force us to give up the monotony of Borg-Borg-Borg-Borg-Tholian-Borg-Borg-Borg- . . . for our own good?

I suppose if you did that, it'd be a change. For the person who'd just do it once or twice every day or two, on the other hand...
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    RA's are boring, much too easy stuff. It's good that people now will play the more interesting stuff.

No... People will not play "the more interesting stuff" because a) What you find interesting and what I find interesting may be completely different b) Go to normal Queues? Yeah... no, I guess most will just do something else or nothing at all and you will still be alone there.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    only 35 marks thats a bit low
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    jim625 wrote: »

35 marks as a BASE. You're forgetting about the daily bonus. Right now the current base is 10.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    jim625 wrote: »

35 marks as a BASE. You're forgetting about the daily bonus. Right now the current base is 10.

oh right forgot about that ^^;
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    RA's are boring, much too easy stuff. It's good that people now will play the more interesting stuff.

lol.. wrong.

People aren't going to play content they don't want to play no matter how hard anyone tries to force them to. If I need something like Competitive Marks, I am not going to go do Competitive Queues now, I don't like forced PvP and I simply won't do it. Same with Lukari marks, the queues are broken and generally unpleasent.. I won't run them now just because there are no more red alerts.

What I will do is wait until a Red Alert Weekend and run it over and over until I have a stock pile of marks and continue to ignore the queues I don't want to run. This is what the vast majority will do. Alternatively, I'll wait for a Breech, Mirror Invasion, Crystaline, or similar event that rewards mark choices and get my marks then.

Removal of red alerts accomplishes one thing and one thing only.. it removes yet another daily activity that could be done quickly and now reduced my normal weekly STO time to nothing but admiralty. I'll then take the time I used to spend in Red Alerts and spend it playing another game. Taking something players enjoy and frequently use and removing it won't funnel them to other content..

It funnels them to other games.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    If I need something like Competitive Marks, I am not going to go do Competitive Queues now, I don't like forced PvP and I simply won't do it.

To be fair... it is ONLY Core Assault that has the forced PvP. Twin Tribulations has the same puzzles but no forced PvP at the end. And the ground queue has no forced PvP either. Its just that everyone runs Core Assault as if it is the only one that exists.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    If I need something like Competitive Marks, I am not going to go do Competitive Queues now, I don't like forced PvP and I simply won't do it.

To be fair... it is ONLY Core Assault that has the forced PvP. Twin Tribulations has the same puzzles but no forced PvP at the end. And the ground queue has no forced PvP either. Its just that everyone runs Core Assault as if it is the only one that exists.

You know, I'm pretty sure like 70% of my competitive marks have come from Binary Circuit. It's absolutely true that only Core Assault has forced PvP though.
  • Options
    I actually LIKE the idea of Binary Circuit, but I had one absolutely TERRIBLE run where my team never even got past the invisible floor puzzle because they wanted to shoot all the INFINITLY SPAWNING enemies on the other side and leave me hanging in the middle of an invisible floor.

I'd love to be able to run Binary Circuit and Twin Tribulations more as I find those two actually fun. Core Assault is not as fun for me because its way too easy to have a team queue up that is full of PvPers that decide to gank the other team for teh lulz.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    So much for fast, straightforward pew-pew.

Also I see no reason to use the random system until they allow trait/gear switchouts on map because sometimes I want different loadouts for different enemy groups. I can prep in advanced with the current system.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I think some people are overdramatizing it though. It's absolutely true that some queues are in dire need of both revamping and increasing rewards, and Random TFO system needs separation of ground and space, however, the "get all of your marks from RAs" is fairly new system (2 years old, tops). Before that, when Borg RA gave only Omega and Tholian RA only Nukara/Romulan marks, somehow we still got rest of our marks just fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I think some people are overdramatizing it though. It's absolutely true that some queues are in dire need of both revamping and increasing rewards, and Random TFO system needs separation of ground and space, however, the "get all of your marks from RAs" is fairly new system (2 years old, tops). Before that, when Borg RA gave only Omega and Tholian RA only Nukara/Romulan marks, somehow we still got rest of our marks just fine.

True indeed, but lets also remember how many fewer reputations there were back then.

The sheer number of Reputations is simply ridiculous.. if they add another one for AOD then it gets even worse. Honestly, the Red Alert change doesn't effect me much, and I am pretty sure is has even less effect on you. We have our marks, we have our items, we're good.. especially someone like you that primarily plays one character. You probably have more marks then you could ever possibly spend.. I know I do.

I actually think that it's harder on newer players that are currently 'climbing the ladder' so to speak. It used to be at least fairly easy to fuel all those daily rep projects, now it's a bit more complicated and certainly takes longer. It's obviously still doable, it just makes it more of a grind.

The sad part is, this and TFO's are the typical Cryptic 'band aid' approach that they will use instead of fixing the queues as you advocated for previously. It just feels like another cheap attempt at a 'quick fix' to me and ultimately it's one that makes the game worse overall. I did enjoy being able to just jump in and run quick red alerts here and there during the week to break up the monotony of admiralty. Will it have a huge effect on me overall? no.. I have everything I need already and a fleet that I can run queues with. I actually feel worse for non fleet people and new players trying to get through the rep grind. It really sucks for them.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    That's right, the notion of being a starship captain will loose all its appeal when there are no more Red Alerts to easily collect all those marks!

I mean, easy shootings are the essence of Trek, right? Right?

Sure, just ignore the points being made and go right into absurdity and countering an argument that no one ever made.

Not at all surprising considering the source.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Yes, you will, simply because you don't have the clay pidgeon shooter option any more.

No... I won't... I might just wait until the appropriate RA will be running and that's about it.
    Especially, I won't play the other content just to annoy you.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    saekiith wrote: »
    No... I won't... I might just wait until the appropriate RA will be running and that's about it.

Of course you will.. that's what everyone will do. The thought that this will somehow move people to other content that they currently have available and choose to ignore is simply ridiculous.
    There are no points. STO did fine before the current version of the RA's. You guys are just pointlessly rageposting about having to run an actual TFO now and then to achieve something in the game.

It did fine, yes, but it wasn't exactly the same game. There were less reputations, and you didn't have things like the Lukari and Competitive tracks which are really only easily advanced through Red Alerts. And if it was working so great before, why was it changed to begin with? Points are being made, you're just not listening to them.

And just because someone opposes your view doesn't mean they're 'rage posting.'
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

Before the level rescaling with Delta Rising all the queues were relatively easier to get through, and there were also less reputations to hope a queue popped for.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It did fine, yes, but it wasn't exactly the same game. There were less reputations, and you didn't have things like the Lukari and Competitive tracks which are really only easily advanced through Red Alerts.
    They are only easily advanced through alerts BECAUSE the marks are in the alerts and therefore nobody ever plays the actual content they should be playing to get them. The comprep queues were very healthy all up until Cryptic killed them by putting the marks in the choiceboxes.

Lukari, of course, never had that chance, as they were in the alerts from the start. First and only rep I had to use the stupid trade-in to get enough gear tokens to do the costume unlock, all because of the choiceboxes. I just barely got Gravity Kills to pop that one time I needed to grab the "die in the black hole" -accolade without resorting to a private run.

Do fully expect Swarm, currently very easy to pop, will be just as dead the second they put gammarks in the choiceboxes, too.
    And if it was working so great before, why was it changed to begin with?
    Because for some reason Cryptic likes to appease the "players" that don't want to actually play much of anything in the game, but still demand to get all the rewards.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I actually LIKE the idea of Binary Circuit, but I had one absolutely TERRIBLE run where my team never even got past the invisible floor puzzle because they wanted to shoot all the INFINITLY SPAWNING enemies on the other side and leave me hanging in the middle of an invisible floor.

I'd love to be able to run Binary Circuit and Twin Tribulations more as I find those two actually fun. Core Assault is not as fun for me because its way too easy to have a team queue up that is full of PvPers that decide to gank the other team for teh lulz.
    There's a variety of ways to reveal the invisible floor yourself. Or there was last time I played it... which wasn't recently.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    The reality is that a player will choose in-game activities based on his personal preferences and personal time (cost)/benefit analysis (fun, rewards, etc.). Attempting to funnel players into other content does not improve overall player experience. It merely attempts to force players to play the game the way other people want them to play, not the way they want to do it.

It's simple market economics - if the other content were superior, then folks would play it. Taking away other options to force them into other content seems a bit counterproductive. I agree that folks will more likely find other things to do than to do content they don't like.

Personally, I use RAs for two primary purposes. The first is to get back to ESD when transwarp in on cooldown. It makes it possible for me to do a quick run to DS9 or wherever, then get back to ESD. I don't have to worry or plan, just do an RA.

The second is to test new ships. While I realize they are easy, I've done so many of them, that I can tell if I like flying a ship or a build is working or not quickly and easily by how many groups of Borg I can kill solo (usually 2) before the pickle shows up or how well it handles the Tholian mobs. Their ready availability makes them much easier to use to get a baseline before doing anything more involved for testing. Patrols, like Japoori and Argala, don't provide the same type of feedback for some reason.

As a side note, I'm not some dps warrior, but we already have a problem with folks going to advanced or elite queues that ought to stick to normal ones - or worse, have no idea how to complete the queue and optionals. I accept that one has to accept the vagaries of pugs. I only see further frustration as more inexperienced folks are left without other options.

All that said, I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it all pans out. But, I'm not happy about it.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2018
    while I do use the RA for marks, most of my played alts are already stocked with around 1k marks for the t6 upgrade, the rest 500 or so each rep. I jump in borg/tholian RA for a quick bit of fun pew pew and then leave. Im not interested in spending more than I spend in a RA... the only other content I do regularly anymore is Argala, and whatever is new.

Remove the RA and I just log in less and for less time.
This discussion has been closed.