test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, how long until we get this uniform?

iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
I just stumbled on this and came to the forums to see if anyone else had posted about it. After looking around a bit and seeing nothing when doing a search, I figured I'd post this.

A Close-Up Look At ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Uniforms

It looks like all the details are there for the Cryptic art department to be able to do a nice in-game version. Although, I'd be surprised if they don't have this kind of stuff available to them directly from the production itself and not a third party.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this and let everyone voice their opinions.
Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Comments

• shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    I'm sure Cryptic has access to whatever assets they need from the CBS archives. There was a recent backer update for the "What We Left Behind" documentary that showed Ira Steven Behr and others going to CBS to look through that stuff.

As for whether we get it, Discovery is under CBS so it should fall under Cryptic's existing licensing. No issue there. I'm pretty sure they've also expressed intent to tie into Discovery in some way (just makes good business sense to cross promote). Only problem I can see is that I don't think uniforms sell super well in the C-Store, which is why we don't see more of them. I have personally bought most of what's available, but I guess I'm weird.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    September I'd imagine. I can't see them releasing and DSC content untill it comes out.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    They'll probably get it eventually.

Not that it matters to me, I don't really feel like walking around wearing a million combadges.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • victornite1976victornite1976 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    It will be interesting to see what content may come as a result of the new series. I like the uniform, but I think the ship is ugly as sin.
    but I think the ship is ugly as sin.

The Excelsior has been in the game since launch though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I like the uniforms, so, i'll buy them, dunno about the ships, i like the Zhenzou (i think thats the name), the Discovery not so much...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    artan42 wrote: »

I like the Excelsior, but not the ship they have in this new series.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,157 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Uhmmm ...

Wasn't this the uniform for Starfleet ten (my bad ... eleven) years prior to Kirk's Enterprise? (TOS - The Cage)

ariane179254_TheCage_ExtendedVersion_0870.jpg
    t47758thecage092e102.jpg
    404df11d97f68321109d081733b8be9fe2fd6583.jpg
    chair-wherenomanhasgonebefore.jpg

Did Starfleet change the uniform ... decide ... 'TRIBBLE this, we're not paying for the fabric' then change back?
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    Thank you for the Typhoon!
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I'll get the Discovery uniform...if I can also get an emote that lets me take it off and burn it in a trash can.

The Excelsior is objectively and scientifically the most hideous ship ever attached to the name Star Trek.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Uhmmm ...

Wasn't this the uniform for Starfleet ten (my bad ... eleven) years prior to Kirk's Enterprise? (TOS - The Cage)

Did Starfleet change the uniform ... decide ... '**** this, we're not paying for the fabric' then change back?

You've seen Generations? Starfleet phases in uniforms. The Discovery and Shinzou are older than the Enterprise and may have just returned from a five year mission and like Voyager they didn't want to waste energy replicating the latest uniforms instead waiting until they get back home.

We also see the Cage a few times in TOS after the change to the new style showing some crews are slower on the uptake than others.

#TASforSTO

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Uhmmm ...

ariane179254_TheCage_ExtendedVersion_0870.jpg
    t47758thecage092e102.jpg
    404df11d97f68321109d081733b8be9fe2fd6583.jpg
    chair-wherenomanhasgonebefore.jpg

Did Starfleet change the uniform ... decide ... '**** this, we're not paying for the fabric' then change back?
    1rtjml

:wink:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I like the spacewalk suit. Hope we can get that for a new reputation.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    yes and i want sauron... ehm... klingon hand with those long nails.

The Excelsior is objectively and scientifically the most hideous ship ever attached to the name Star Trek.

You sure you don't mean the one in the new series? :smile: Anyway, it's all personal opinion. You have yours, I have mine. The Excelsior Retrofit is one of my favorite ship designs.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Uhmmm ...

Wasn't this the uniform for Starfleet ten (my bad ... eleven) years prior to Kirk's Enterprise?
    The imagery has to look like the JJ-verse in order to draw in fans of the new movies. The setting is in the old-busted-verse to draw in fans of old-busted Trek (though, it is mostly NOT set in the old-busted-verse). Your cries of "but, continuity!" means nothing to the CBS need for cash.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I like this idea. Hopefully CBS will allow Cryptic to implement these uniforms into STO. I find the uniforms & the communication badges aesthetically pleasing & looking good. So far from what I've seen of ST: Discovery the uniforms & communication badges might be the most original Trek-ish component to the show. I'll still view the premiere absolutely, but not going to subscribe to CBS's paying service.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I don't hate the uniform, but I can't shake this feeling that they went way overboard on the chevron motif. I can live with retconning the ship-specific patches, but significant portions of that uniform is covered in little chevrons. It's the sci-fi equivalent of covering everything in American flags to show how patriotic you are - it's just kinda gaudy after a while and doesn't really prove anything.

Also I just noticed looking at that infographic that there's a wrecked NX-class in it just above and to the left of the Phase II ship. Neat.

You misspelled Yeager.

You sure you don't mean the one in the new series? :smile: Anyway, it's all personal opinion. You have yours, I have mine. The Excelsior Retrofit is one of my favorite ship designs.

Oh it's not personal. It's science. Both CERN and NASA agree, they did a study, Excelsior=Most hideous ship ever to cross the screens in a Star Trek production.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I can live with retconning the ship-specific patches

There's no retconning. Several crews in TOS used the delta and not just the Enterprise. As did Friendship One, Earth Starfleet, the Franklin, the Kelvin, and every member of Starfleet in the KT. IT's always been the general Starfleet emblem. A stylised version is found on the hull and nacelles of all Starfleet ships (in yellow in front of the red lines).
    jexsamx wrote: »
    You misspelled Yeager.

Yes there was a spelling mistake, I wrote 'Excelsior' when I meant 'stupid-fat-accordion-necked-over-balanced-saucer-barely-attached-nacelles-McStupidface'.​​

#TASforSTO

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Never, I hope. They're fugly, like the show!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    While I do agree on the rank insignia... the uniforms themselves look pretty nice.

I can see Cryptic being allowed to do some kind of giveaway event thing or something to celebrate the launch of Discovery.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, seeing that for the first time. Not a fan. How can they say its NOT Kelvin timeline when it's got tiny deltas all over it like the KT uniforms have? Way too shiny for a 'uniform' unless they fight on a disco floor. The more I see of TRIBBLE the more I don't care about it.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    @dracounguis I think your sig died.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

It did, photobucket recently started disallowing hotlinking to images without a paid account. I had to rehost my sig on my own website, dracounguis will need to look into something too.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    And that is why I'm keeping my sig on DeviantArt.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Going to say as a concept the uniforms look decent. I rather like the mesh design on the sides. Till as is pointed out it is essentially mini-chevrons making it. That drags from neat to tacky.
    The badge doubling as rank pips. To a set and costume designer it probably sounds great. One prop you will barely see instead of several. From someone in the military. That is bloody hard to see and only works from the front? Not so good. Sleeve like ToS or Shoulder like Ent is better. Using the metallic portions of the uniform to denote branch? nice and keeps the uniform yet colour code. So brilliant there.
    So the basic look seems to be all over the map. I suppose the next question is did they get the suits both easily cleanable and comfortable to wear for extended periods? Because that was an issue with early TNG uniforms. If not you will see a mid season or series uniform change to fix those issues.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    The new Uniforms are just JJ Trek. There's nothing wrong with the old uniforms, they could have been honored while updated with more sophisticated material. "Old busted trek" is a misnomer. Trek has survived longer than any other television story, and it's always honored some form of continuity.

They are taking needless and big risks changing the look so vastly. There WAS a way to update the Cage era to make sense with modern effects and materials whilst honoring it- and it would have been far more clever and far more engaging.

Spock in the cage used motion sensitive screens to direct information on a screen in front of his console. This is technology we have only experimented with today!
  • bartimaeus#4158 bartimaeus Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have to say, whilst I remain indifferent about the show on the whole, I actually don't like the design of those uniforms. They are overly elaborate, and I see very little sense in having rank insignia that is barely visible.

You've never been in any uniformed service in your life, right?

I actually like those uniforms, especially the tactical one. Not a big fan of tight uniforms, but after the ridiculous uniforms in TOS, Motion Picture, 1st Season TNG, DS9.... well, actually, every uniform other than TWOK and Enterprise, i think we can appreciate these.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    bloodyriz wrote: »

It did, photobucket recently started disallowing hotlinking to images without a paid account. I had to rehost my sig on my own website, dracounguis will need to look into something too.​​

yeah, putting stuff on imgur now. stupid photobucket wants $60 a month for linking things!
    I don't even have sigs turned on. some people's are way too huge. I'd never have noticed w/o someone saying. :D I'll just delete the photo part for now.
    And that is why I'm keeping my sig on DeviantArt.
    May try that too.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have to say, whilst I remain indifferent about the show on the whole, I actually don't like the design of those uniforms. They are overly elaborate, and I see very little sense in having rank insignia that is barely visible.

You've never been in any uniformed service in your life, right?
    Rank insignia is usually pretty visible except on field uniforms. (There are few things worse for junior enlisted than running into a butterbar in the old green camos on a stateside base. By the time you see the dim orange against the mottled green, they're already chewing you out for not saluting. Gave my colonel a laugh, though, because he tried to report me to my unit...)

Jon's Post, supplemental: Almost forgot about the one exception - a US Navy Chief Petty Officer or higher in the beige office uniform (can't remember what they called it). They have a collar device that only senior enlisted and admirals get to wear, though.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Hopefully never. I don't want to walk around in a Xindi wanna be reject,... and I'd rather paddle a bathtub across the stars than be caught dead in that monstrosity of a ship,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
This discussion has been closed.