test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, how long until we get this uniform?

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Lobes, you don't get to police the forums. If you want to do so, apply to become a moderator (it seems unlikely you would be approved, but you can certainly apply).

So long as you're just another user, though, anyone can post anything they want (within reason) in these threads. If you don't like it, you're free to take your conversation into messages with your buddies.

That being said, perhaps this thread is due for a shutdown, as it's become plain that no one is being persuaded of anything any more.
    jon, my behaviour is 100% in compliance with what has been discussed with baddmoonrizin with regards this situation.

@baddmoonrizin
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,825 Community Moderator
    Look, you two don't want to play together, that's fine. As I stated before, no one can dictate to another forum user whether they can post or respond to a post. It's much easier to control your own actions than to try and control the actions of another. Case in point: I can't get you two to just ignore each other. That's a burden you'll have to take on yourself, whether the other party does the same or not, but that's going to require some self control. Geez, I hate doing this $#!* in public, but if you put your business out there for the world to see, expect the world to get involved. Can we just stop this now? Can this be the last thread that I have to deal with this $#!*? Please?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    and stuff like this is why i refused kael's offer to make me a mod​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    and stuff like this is why i refused kael's offer to make me a mod​​

And nominated me in your place Shadow.
    I'd probably end up watching for Necromancy for a while until I get more used to the role if I had gotten it. Although I probably would shut down politics real fast since that never turns out well.

But... I just be the resident Voice of Reason and a Forum Sage. So I'll just sit here and do my usual thing.
    latest?cb=20141029225618

Also to maintain our belief in our Forum Overlord Tacofangs.
    Hail Tacofangs!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    yeah, that whole 'Voice of Reason' thing was why i immediately thought of and nominated you to begin with - and i still would​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    If this makes it into the game, whether by C-Store or Lobi, I will not get it. It's hideous.

Of course, that's my opinion. And I haven't seen many opposing viewpoints on that. So looks like my opinion is with the majority.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    If it comes into the game, I *will* get it, because I think it could look even better with a little creative recoloring. (Also, I do agree that the boots are dumb. I wouldn't use the boots.)

Mostly, though, I think that more choices is good. Even when it's not a choice I'd make, like the New Orleans class or the Breen winter-event ships. Don't care for the look myself, but I support them being made available for the people that do.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    yeah, that whole 'Voice of Reason' thing was why i immediately thought of and nominated you to begin with - and i still would​​

Well... I do try to be level headed. But sometimes people just refuse to even consider possibilities outside of what they want or see. In which case Reason kinda... gets ignored or blasted for not agreeing.
    echatty wrote: »
    If this makes it into the game, whether by C-Store or Lobi, I will not get it. It's hideous.

Of course, that's my opinion. And I haven't seen many opposing viewpoints on that. So looks like my opinion is with the majority.

I would. I mean the TMP uniforms are kinda blech IMO but with the right colors actually doesn't look too bad. Now if we could just remove that thing on the stomach if we didn't want it...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I do use TMP uniforms on two of my captains. I like it. And the belt thing should be removable, but I get along with it. I do recolor it and it looks nice.

But this hideous thing...no thanks. But I have nothing against someone who would want it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Did you know the enlisted/cadet uniforms from Wrath of Khan through Undiscovered Country are actually recolored TMP uniforms? If they let us do something like that...
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    True, TNG had 2-3 uniform changes because the first one was an ill-fitting unitard. It's a wonder they didn't have Reeves Syndrome (obvious bulge).
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    I've said this before, but the only issue I have honestly with the Discovery uniform is the rank insignia. Its even less visible than TNG era pips. Black dots on a badge honestly don't work for me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    I just hate these canon vs non-canon arguments. I mean what would the Vulcanians think as they wait 20 years for lithium crystals to be delivered from Delta Vega. What would UESPA think?

So please, canon is mostly what the writers made up for any given episode as needed to advance the storyline.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Canon/noncanon. Doesn't matter to me. I just don't like the uniform, period. Perhaps, with time, it might grow on me. Hopefully not like algae. *Chuckle*
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Nice uniforms. Won't go out of my way to get them, though. Besides, as others have said, we won't see them anyway before the show airs.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    So please, canon is mostly what the writers made up for any given episode as needed to advance the storyline.
    And this is why I choose to take the anti-canon stance. People make far too much of the importance of canon.

A good example is asking "What color is a phaser beam?" There are many possible answers, but one thing that's always irked me was how people would try to say only one color is the right one.
    Balderdash! Remove the delta logo(s) from the uniform, and it's utterly generic sci-fi.
    Enh, ok, now apply that reasoning to previously used Starfleet uniforms. Yeah, most if not all are "generic sci-fi" without it.
    Again, Axanar showed what was immediately identifiable as Pre-TOS Prime Timeline, which is all needs to be said about Axanar, for the purpose of this discussion.
    I personally consider this to be one of the main FAILINGS of Axanar. He made it look TOO much like TOS. Why is that bad? Well, did you ever wonder why the people who make the actual TV shows and movies change things instead of making it look the same? It's in large part to make it recognizable as something new. That way fans can immediately tell what they're looking at.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    IMdB listing of companies involved in production of Star Trek: Discovery.

You may notice that Bad Robot isn't even associated with this list, much less on it. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    IMDB is not generally a reliable source of information - but in this case, they seem to be correct

i can't find a single official source saying that BRP is involved with the production of discovery...and no, a computer system from space odyssey is not an official source​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Balderdash! Remove the delta logo(s) from the uniform, and it's utterly generic sci-fi.
    Enh, ok, now apply that reasoning to previously used Starfleet uniforms. Yeah, most if not all are "generic sci-fi" without it.
    Granted, there were differences between TOS through the movies to TNG. But. From TNG onward, there was still an internally consistent aesthetic, which was even echoed in the shoulder panals of the Enterprise flight suits, and can even be seen in the uniforms worn aboard the Kelvin. Sure, the details change, but an overall vibe, continues through them all, and which in-game, we see in the Odyssey jackets. Yes, remove the Delta, and they arguably could be considered 'generic sci-fi' but they all still have an enduring theme/vibe to them, which says 'Starfleet uniform'. The Discovery uniforms? I'm reminded of an episode of Voyager where the Aliens of the Week wore similar blue uniforms, although I forget the episode title, or the specifics of it, but I think it also featured one of the actresses who played one of Duras' sisters.

Outside of the logo, and the use of it in the side panals, there isn't even an attempt to create something similar to what has been seen. As has been said countless times, this would be fine, had they not insisted on presenting it as a pre-TOS Prime Setting. Again, it just points to the impression that they are riding the coat-tails of the title, but really, just wanted to do their own show. captainperkins addressed this in another thread, and I believe in time, his observations will be proven to be accurate :sunglasses:
    Again, Axanar showed what was immediately identifiable as Pre-TOS Prime Timeline, which is all needs to be said about Axanar, for the purpose of this discussion.
    I personally consider this to be one of the main FAILINGS of Axanar. He made it look TOO much like TOS. Why is that bad? Well, did you ever wonder why the people who make the actual TV shows and movies change things instead of making it look the same? It's in large part to make it recognizable as something new. That way fans can immediately tell what they're looking at.
    I'm sorry, but I find that a somewhat contradictory point: Making something new, which fans can immediately identify :confused: Fans may come to accept a new aesthetic, but initially, differences are still incongruous and jarring, because they are different. Changing something for the sake of changing it, IMO, is neither a good, nor necessary thing to do: If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it.

I'm getting a bit tired of repeating the point that if someone undertakes a project dealing with a known subject, the onus is on them to remain faithful to the original period/project, and recreate it reliably. Prequels, interquels and sequels, still need to conform to the franchise material. The spin put on the variation between the Kelvin Timeline and Prime TOS uniforms worked, because it was explained as alternate dimension - The Discovery producers don't have the luxury of that explanation, because of the clear statement about it being Prime Timeline :D

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on Axanar, but could you explain, not only why you feel it was a bad thing to make it look as it did, but also what you think should have been done instead, which would have still been immediately evocative of the era? (Given that recreating that era, was the whole point of the project ;) )
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth

I'm astonished to still be beating my head against this particular brick wall. I never imagined I'd have to be arguing that additions to an established story must maintain consistency with the original story. I never thought I'd have to contest the ludicrous position that prequels and side stories have no obligation to match the time period and / or setting established in the original work. It's one of the most basic rules! Even JJ Abrams knew better than to just change everything about an established setting around with no in-story explanation. Really, it's such a basic rule of storytelling that it shouldn't even be questionable, let alone controversial.

This is seriously some through the looking glass stuff.​​

Well... you DO have to consider that the show hasn't even AIRED yet. So all we are working on is the trailer. The first KT movie didn't say anything about alternate reality or anything in its trailer. We might get our in-story explanation with the show itself.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit tired of repeating the point that if someone undertakes a project dealing with a known subject, the onus is on them to remain faithful to the original period/project, and recreate it reliably. Prequels, interquels and sequels, still need to conform to the franchise material.
    There are many other ways to remain faithful to the source material other than being hung up on making everything look like it was before.
    I'm astonished to still be beating my head against this particular brick wall. I never imagined I'd have to be arguing that additions to an established story must maintain consistency with the original story. I never thought I'd have to contest the ludicrous position that prequels and side stories have no obligation to match the time period and / or setting established in the original work. It's one of the most basic rules! Even JJ Abrams knew better than to just change everything about an established setting around with no in-story explanation. Really, it's such a basic rule of storytelling that it shouldn't even be questionable, let alone controversial.

This is seriously some through the looking glass stuff.​​
    Well, riddle me this: How important is the color of the floor on the bridge of the Enterprise to the story?

If you think it actually matters, then you're probably one of those "canon nasis" people sometimes lament the existence of.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Have you ever seen some TV show coming attractions for the next Episode? Cut and spliced together in such a manner to imply one thing that ends up not occurring at all. Misdirection. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2017

That's actually a very good point.

Yes and no. Thing is, if you change too much, you risk becoming unrecognizable as the thing you're trying to be. Take this for instance. If I told you it was from a Transformers movie, would you believe me? Well you'd be wrong to, because it's not - it's the Megazord. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Megazord, to be specific. Or, it's supposed to be, but it doesn't even remotely resemble its source material save for some splashes of color, which is a thing Transformers often have as well.

DSC is in a tough spot in terms of art direction. If you take it as following ENT, it's fine. Everything looks more or less as you'd expect. The issue is, it's supposed to precede TOS, which (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) is extremely dated and campy in every aspect, even beyond its art direction. So the question becomes, which do you adhere more closely to? ENT's more modern, grounded aesthetic, or TOS's camp? You can't really meet both styles in the middle because they just aren't compatible, so a side has to be favored.

IMO the best way to visually move to TOS without spoiling the ENT flavor would just have been to make the uniform tops full division colors, but change nothing else. Considering how much closer timeline-wise DSC is to TOS than ENT, it would make the most sense. God knows if we get these uniforms, I'll be doing exactly that.

Which is another thing to keep in mind - if we get these uniforms, we will be able to customize them. If you don't like the colors or badges, you will be able to change them. They'll probably look pretty sweet with STO's old TOS-style combadges and in different colors. Maybe unify the metallic piping as silver across the board.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »

Yes and no. Thing is, if you change too much, you risk becoming unrecognizable as the thing you're trying to be. Take this for instance. If I told you it was from a Transformers movie, would you believe me? Well you'd be wrong to, because it's not - it's the Megazord. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Megazord, to be specific. Or, it's supposed to be, but it doesn't even remotely resemble its source material save for some splashes of color, which is a thing Transformers often have as well.

DSC is in a tough spot in terms of art direction. If you take it as following ENT, it's fine. Everything looks more or less as you'd expect. The issue is, it's supposed to precede TOS, which (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) is extremely dated and campy in every aspect, even beyond its art direction. So the question becomes, which do you adhere more closely to? ENT's more modern, grounded aesthetic, or TOS's camp? You can't really meet both styles in the middle because they just aren't compatible, so a side has to be favored.

IMO the best way to visually move to TOS without spoiling the ENT flavor would just have been to make the uniform tops full division colors, but change nothing else. Considering how much closer timeline-wise DSC is to TOS than ENT, it would make the most sense. God knows if we get these uniforms, I'll be doing exactly that.

Which is another thing to keep in mind - if we get these uniforms, we will be able to customize them. If you don't like the colors or badges, you will be able to change them. They'll probably look pretty sweet with STO's old TOS-style combadges and in different colors. Maybe unify the metallic piping as silver across the board.

In a Mirror Darkly actually made the TOS sets look kinda good IMO
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    Spock served with Pike for 11 years. Why are you so certain "The Cage" happens near the beginning of his service?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    jexsamx wrote: »

In a Mirror Darkly actually made the TOS sets look kinda good IMO

Yeah, I think people exaggerate the how dated the TOS designs look. If you took the international orange (or eye-piercing red?) accents and painted them something more neutral, more than half of the camp would evaporate. It's a fine, modern design once it's toned down.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,825 Community Moderator
    Ok, guys, the OP wanted to discuss the Discovery Starfleet uniform and its possible inclusion in STO. The thread has ended up taking a turn away from the OP and into circular debates and arguments about Star Trek canon and various other minutiae. So, I'm going to close this now and direct anyone who wants to continue debating canon to a new thread in Ten Forward that I've designated especially for that purpose: THE BIG STAR TREK CANON THREAD. Thank you all for your lively discussions. I look forward to reading more in the future.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.