test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

and the Winning Lurari ship design is...

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    And thus, three more timelines were created, and we're now living in the Alpha one.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    A triangle...
    *claims ship*
    *earns Admiralty token*
    *decommissions ship*

Yeah, I didn't really care... not like I'll actually fly any of them anyway.

They were all hideous.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    A triangle...
    *claims ship*
    *earns Admiralty token*
    *decommissions ship*

not a bad idea could use the card for the admiralty system
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Damn it, I liked the Echo version. Now I've lost all interest in it.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Sigh. I was really hoping neither of the "geometric" designs would win. They look like something I'd expect from the Tholians or the 31st century Federation, not a newly warp-capable race taking their first baby steps beyond their solar system.

Honestly, I would have been happier if they stuck with the "generic science vessel" they used for the Concordium. Not everything has to be sleek and shiny.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    None of the designs were spectacular. All just flying pancakes of various shapes. Not sure if that was planned 'story-wise' or is just super easy to animate.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'll create a Lukari character for sure pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The Dorito Pope is going to love this Starship.

I hope its a well rounded starship when it comes to its Admiralty Card.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

I seen those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2W0HkzgE2M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvh9EAshVCs
    As I mentioned, some of these are, in fact, our own, created from salvaged Et tech from downed vessels (from what I heard, we got EMP, scalar weapons in orbit, since at least the 60s....and considering our government keeps tending to 'lose' several trillion dollars every so often, I believe this is what they spend it on, and many military, and ex-military personal are coming foreword, disregarding their secrecy oaths, wanting to the right thing and come clean with what they saw and been told) which can bring down crafts, and so, the military industrial complex has, committed murder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3MrDXMSFAw ) I feel some of them, are made and run by our own black ops, the guys who feel they are above the law and above the government of the people, a real life Section 31, as it were, but for far more self serving purposes.
    And, before anyone laughs, giggle or posts some infantile meme ridiculing the entire thing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz-DKE5wWo Stop and think about all this for a bit. ~curtsy~

Anyhow, I can not wait for this ship to come into the game...wonder when and how one gets it. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    lighte007 wrote: »

What's a 'dorito pope'? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    risian4 wrote: »
    Hm I would have preferred Charlie, the saucer ship. It's not really fair to say that we already have it; the Galaxy's saucer may look like it, but it's not a playable ship on its own.

Anyway, I can live with this. I usually don't really make use of alien ships for a longer time anyway so these ships are just fun to fly a couple of times every now and then. Which will probably work equally well with Alpha.

I am curious though... I would have thought that this would be the Winter event ship but apparently it's the ship for the next Anniversary. Wondering what the Winter event ship will be then.

As for #TeamAlpha winning, I say gratz for them although I voted for #TeamCharlie. Since this ship is going to be an Anniversary ship, and we already got almost all the Breen ships for the Winter, and I have a feeling we'll get at least 2 more Vorgon ships for the Summer event, the Winter event ship question is a damn good one. I am really hoping the Winter event ships are not going to be a rehash of past Winter Breen ships. If that is the case, Then the Winter event will be worth skipping. I, personally, would love to have a new unique ship we haven't gotten before, or as a Q's gift, a chance to get each of the past event ships that was previously unattainable.

Even better would be the Gold Nandi that most of the players never got the chance to claim.

I missed out on all the past Breen ships. If they bring them back(I really hope they do), I definitely want them, and would grind until I'm worn to bone powder to get my hands on all of them.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User

Geoff Keighley, for being sponsored by Doritos and there was a massive scandal about that a long time ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    I may have voted TeamCharlie but I shall happily fly the LSS Generic Nacho.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Good, we have a winner. The next discussion is about what is fore and what is aft.
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    There's always that one guy who makes excuses about the vote somehow being a flawed application of democracy when the vote doesn't go his way.

To be fair, there -are- better ways of doing an election than just throwing three things into a first past the post arrangement. For example, they could've dropped the lowest performer and redone the election with the two highest. (Sort of like a transferrable vote election) Not saying we'd have a different outcome necessarily, but we'd have less doubt about what the players wanted.

Democracies work better when the people have confidence in the legitimacy of the winner.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    In an ideal situation, everyone would have ranked the options based on which they liked more. You would choose a first choice, second choice, etc. Then they would count up all the first votes and see who lost, that ship's out. Then all those votes go to their voter's second choice, add them up, and see who lost. Continue with this until you have a winner. The only reason this isn't done anywhere is because it would be too time consuming to do without a machine to do it for you. (Though that excuse is disappearing, with the rise of computers.)

This actually is a really interesting topic. And I have to disagree, your system isn't ideal. Nor is any other. Because "preference" with more than 2 options isn't transitive at all, there just isn't an "ideal" system. (Not being transitive means: if more people prefer A than B and more people prefer B to C it DOESN'T necessarily follow, that a majority will prefer A to C) It depends on many factors, but yes, the system will change the outcome.

But a quick'n'dirty example to show you where your system (as it is done at the Olympics as an example) will break down: Assuming 10000 voters, with the following preferences:

4999 liked Alpha best, followed by Foxtrot, then in descending order Delta, Charlie, Beta, Echo
    2500 preferred BFDCEA
    1250 CFDEBA
    625 DFECBA
    314 EFADCB
    312 FEDCBA

In the first round F will drop out, giving their votes in the next round to E, which is there second choice. So B will have 626 votes, which will edge out D's 625, collecting their votes as well, and so on. In the end, E will beat A 5001:4999

So E wins, which:
    - only about 3% of players preferred
    - almost 9 in 10 players considered below median (bottom three)
    - would lose every head-to-head vote, except against A, by a landslide

A, which almost 50% in a 6-way race already preferred, won't get elected, neither would F, which would however win every head-to-head, so with the system as it was always reach the 2nd round.

This doesn't mean the system you're suggesting is bad, there just is no ideal system. Also, it would invite people to "strategic voting", i. e. not voting your real preferences to increase the chances of the candidate of your choice winning. (One of the few system that does not allow for that is a single-poll as most elections are. There "strategic voting" exists, too, if you want to add the aspect of somebody NOT winning as a goal - "the lesser evil" - but if you only cared about your candidate winning, you should always vote for him. In your system, you may NOT want to vote for your preferred choice to increase the chance of getting what you want)

As you can also gather from this example, the order in which the single votes of the first round were set up. Let's say in a 4-way the preference groups ABCD, BCDA, CDAB, and DABC are all one fourth of the player base.

If you pitted A-B and C-D in the first round, you'd get a final A vs C (which ties, or is decided by somebody randomly not voting), but if the first round were A-D and B-C, you'd get the final B vs D...

So no, whatever they choose, somebody can complain. Yes, some systems are clearly broken, this one isn't. (And neither would your suggestion be). And every sytem can get results that seem intuitively moronic.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I voted for the ones that didn't look like things I've seen in real life. In A vs. B I voted for the one that didn't look like a boomerang (or batarang as some called it), In C vs. D I voted for the one that didn't look like an Oldsmobile's hood ornament and in E vs F I voted for the one that didn't look like a lightsaber handle. Of the three votes only the last one disappointed me as obviously the lightsaber handle won that round. Thankfully it didn't win the final round.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I voted for the Dorito chip because that was the design I liked the most of the three.

I hope they release a Ranch flavor or Spicy Sweet Chili.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Not flying the Batarang makes me sad panda
    rattler2 wrote: »

You know what? I just might name mine the Flying Dorito just for the fun of it!
    I'll probably name mine Triggered for the above reason
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    You know, they could've just chosen the ship for us, and not let us vote at all. I am looking forward to flying alpha. Beta was another favorite of mine. I hope we get a saucer at some point, though. About the winter ship, I hope it's Ferengi.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    fovrel wrote: »
    Good, we have a winner. The next discussion is about what is fore and what is aft.

This shape is NOT fully trilateral symmetrical, it has slight curves at the rear.

75903c375482577df46977c97afb00271477614138.png
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Look at it, triangular shape, the 'globes' that seem to serve as nacelles, the bubble for a command deck - it's made to echo the Wells, Chronos, and other 26th century ships. It seems that for a newly warp-exploratory race, the Lukari will become a major influence on ship design over the next hundred years or so...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »

This shape is NOT fully trilateral symmetrical, it has slight curves at the rear.

75903c375482577df46977c97afb00271477614138.png

Dunno about curves, but the engine trails kinda spoil the surprise there. B)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Fortunately with the Temporal Specialization starship trait you can fly it backwards just fine. :wink:
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    All the Dorito remarks, I'm surprised no one's made a joke about the bussard collectors/ramscoops/Lukari equivilent thereof and "chips and dip"...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    None of the designs were spectacular. All just flying pancakes of various shapes. Not sure if that was planned 'story-wise' or is just super easy to animate.

This.

Like the Fed carrier design choice before, the first thing I noticed is how similar all them were. In the carrier case, it was fat single hull and four nacelles, I think in every case.

This time, simple geometric shapes mostly in 2-dimensions, i.e. flat.

It's amazing really how little choice these things give us. I would have loved to see something that looked like a ship made from a kid's tinker toy design. Maybe something mostly in the vertical plane. But no, all flat geometric ships.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    All of you were wrong to vote for this ridiculous hideous ****** ship. Rigged election, what happened to the results from Twitter, facebook, and the other social medias with the hashtags and what not.

Prolly be a ***** science ship for all the ***** that voted for it. Even though last anniversary was a science ship. Hope you are all very happy. :p

Admiralty and dismiss indeed. :)
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User

Geoff Keighley, for being sponsored by Doritos and there was a massive scandal about that a long time ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

I remember that. I'm naming mine USS Keighley or perhaps give it the Counter Command shield visuals and call it USS Dew.
    SP9Pu.gif