test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

and the Winning Lurari ship design is...

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    All of you were wrong to vote for this ridiculous hideous ****** ship. Rigged election, what happened to the results from Twitter, facebook, and the other social medias with the hashtags and what not.

In a word? Lump it :smirk:.

If the Dorito is wrong, I don't want to be right :).
    Prolly be a ***** science ship for all the ***** that voted for it. Even though last anniversary was a science ship. Hope you are all very happy. :p

Given the sucking black VOID Romulan and KDF captains have to endure where their science ships should be, nothing would make many of us happier than another all-factions 'blue card' in the admiralty deck.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Prolly be a ***** science ship for all the ***** that voted for it. Even though last anniversary was a science ship. Hope you are all very happy. :p

Quite pleased actually. You do deserve more credit than you are giving yourself though. Most people don't have that great an interest on something as trivial as an event ship. As someone who wasn't certain I credit your obnoxious proselytizing for swinging my vote.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    "Lurari?" Sounds like Scooby Doo trying to say "Lukari." (ruh-oh, Raggy!)

Back on topic, I'm not a fan of the Alpha "flying Dorito" shape (I wanted Echo), but eh... I won't be getting it anyway so it's no big deal.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    All of you were wrong to vote for this ridiculous hideous ****** ship. Rigged election, what happened to the results from Twitter, facebook, and the other social medias with the hashtags and what not.

Admiralty and dismiss indeed. :)

That Pu$$y of yours seems to be throbbing. Try some of this before you let it get all irritated next time: http://hooharideglide.com/
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    A previous poster brought up a possible problem in the copyright of this design by Atlantis Models, their TR-3 UFO model. The post was later edited, but it's a valid point. Of course Cryptic might have cleared this issue with them or feel that it's public domain enough to slip by.

While the saucer has been around awhile, the triangle is a relatively new occurrence.

It's a cool model that I have lighted.

http://www.atlantis-models.com/TriangularAntiGravitySpaceCraftTR-3EmodelkitAtlantisModels.aspx
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

LOL!!!

Kindergarten Tantrum
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    A previous poster brought up a possible problem in the copyright of this design by Atlantis Models, their TR-3 UFO model. The post was later edited, but it's a valid point. Of course Cryptic might have cleared this issue with them or feel that it's public domain enough to slip by.

While the saucer has been around awhile, the triangle is a relatively new occurrence.

http://www.atlantis-models.com/TriangularAntiGravitySpaceCraftTR-3EmodelkitAtlantisModels.aspx

I VERY much doubt that this will be seen as a copyright issue. The only similarity is the basic shape of a (mostly) equilateral triangle and a generally flat form. While this is not "nothing", it is only a variation on a basic shape that is as old as mankind (and has been used as a form for toys for dozens of generations)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I have to agree, the differences are stark enough that it'd be a troll claim to try say the similarities are enough to sue over, and I think we've enough troll claims in gaming as is (looking at you King). The difference in scale alone is more than enough of a difference. Though, it is a fair point to say we got the designs we got because of potential copyright claims on any other designs. Really hard to make original content when you have people designing original designs and posting them on art sites every day.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    quebraregraquebraregra Member Posts: 31 Arc User

Wait, someone not only referencing a model kit in 2016, but openly admitting to wiring lighting!??!? I brand you GEEK, and I salute you gentle sentient!

I had been eyeballing that model on AMAZON for a while, I'd luv to see yer finished build.

THAT DOES IT!!!! I'm gonna prompt ATLANTIS to file a "cease and desist", so we can kill ALPHA and get the proper CHARLIE saucer we all really voted for:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQQU5NY/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BQQU5NY&pd_rd_r=GQP0CWXGDV23ZD9X1FFF&pd_rd_w=p1g8o&pd_rd_wg=ky948&psc=1&refRID=GQP0CWXGDV23ZD9X1FFF

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I did a simple lighting by buying an extra round saucer from them and transferring it's rotating LED light assembly to the TR-3 with a bit of Krazy Glue and a bunch of extra magnets.

Because the saucer light assembly was magnetic, the TR-3 now is also magnetically assembled making it operate by rotating the halves to turn it on. Because the TR-3 is much larger and thinner plastic, it shows off the lights more overall rather than just on the bottom like the saucers.

Still I would have liked the flying saucer to win.

Being a Geek is fun.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    None of the designs were spectacular. All just flying pancakes of various shapes. Not sure if that was planned 'story-wise' or is just super easy to animate.

im starting to get the idea cryptic is gonna design ships with the least effort possible going forward :/
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    All the Dorito remarks, I'm surprised no one's made a joke about the bussard collectors/ramscoops/Lukari equivilent thereof and "chips and dip"...

that made me laugh "chips and dip" since its a tortilla chip shape i guess going through the great bloom would be the equiv of guacamole dip? *rimshot*
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    im starting to get the idea cryptic is gonna design ships with the least effort possible going forward :/

Excuse me, but what is your problem? You cannot seriously claim that creating this ship is some kind of low-effort rushjob because it is based on a basic geometric shape? What is your point?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Am I the only one that thinks that's awfully advanced looking for a species with a current top speed of warp 4?. Methinks the Lukari will actually be the next big bad.

Probably the ones that were not at all left behind on the original homeworld (Or the Lukari are actually Breen)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    reafis wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks that's awfully advanced looking for a species with a current top speed of warp 4?. Methinks the Lukari will actually be the next big bad.

Probably the ones that were not at all left behind on the original homeworld (Or the Lukari are actually Breen)

The Lukari don't make a lot of sense in that regard. Once again it would have been better if this story would feature the Deferi instead of creating another alien and claim they just developed warp travel on unmanned probes and now, probably due to involvement in temporal shenenigans, the alliance catapults their starships forward a few hundred years. But on the other hoof, the Lukari character in the episode seems to have knowledge that at least surpasses our (idiot) character in fields a Starfleet officer (since it's all the same I'm only mentioning Starfleet here) should have at least basic knowledge in.

EDIT: However, keep in mind the ship in the featured episode is not Lukari, it's Gorn. So they didn't even have a warp 4 vessel yet, they go from a starfleet of a single loaned ship straight to a T6 starship of the most modern design. I still like the overall approach here, namely that Cryptic writes their own story again instead of rehashing show plots over and over again.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

The Lukari don't make a lot of sense in that regard. Once again it would have been better if this story would feature the Deferi instead of creating another alien and claim they just developed warp travel on unmanned probes and now, probably due to involvement in temporal shenenigans, the alliance catapults their starships forward a few hundred years. But on the other hoof, the Lukari character in the episode seems to have knowledge that at least surpasses our (idiot) character in fields a Starfleet officer (since it's all the same I'm only mentioning Starfleet here) should have at least basic knowledge in.

EDIT: However, keep in mind the ship in the featured episode is not Lukari, it's Gorn. So they didn't even have a warp 4 vessel yet, they go from a starfleet of a single loaned ship straight to a T6 starship of the most modern design. I still like the overall approach here, namely that Cryptic writes their own story again instead of rehashing show plots over and over again.​​

I agree I do like the story (and hope we get to beam back down to further investigate the final fate of those 3 Starfleet officers)

I just hope that there isn't a surprise twist that reveals the Lukari are actually Borg , or some other awful cliché. The Tzenkethi might be an interesting big bad.
  • Options
    coolbatman wrote: »
    naw, i'm just waiting for the borg to get<heres the joke> off their collective a$$ and just assimulate the galaxy alrdy, that way we won't have to listen ceascelessly about faction 'k' not having a sci ship and faction 'r' not having whatever, we'll all just fly around in our cubes spheres and probesand not worrying about such things .......

I do think the image of a borg cube with assimilated iconian tech beating the TRIBBLE out of the herald sphere would be fun. And of course we would have to defend them.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The Lukari don't make a lot of sense in that regard. Once again it would have been better if this story would feature the Deferi instead of creating another alien and claim they just developed warp travel on unmanned probes and now, probably due to involvement in temporal shenenigans, the alliance catapults their starships forward a few hundred years.

While I do agree that it would make more sense in many aspects, I think the more story you have in a setting like this, the more protagonists (races in this case) you'll need, lest "everything will happen to the Deferi". Which, especially since they already are a non canon race made by Cryptic, may make people easily fed up. Think about the flak already some canon races are getting for their mission involvement, and multiply that with a keeper of canon factor.

Yeah, the Lukari backstory is somewhat sketchy for building own ship designs, there the Deferi would have been better, but at the same time a story with new exploration for an established spacefaring race would not really be that much better.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Am I the only one that thinks that's awfully advanced looking for a species with a current top speed of warp 4?.

100% agreed. As I said a few pages back, the Concordium design is much more consistent with their level of technology. They should have stuck with that.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    I'm sure the gorn lent a hand and starfleet
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I wonder if there will be a reason they look like UFOs. Maybe during their wandering looking for a new home, they came across Earth in the 1940s+

While it's a bit of a stretch, the Lukari also have bald large heads and dark eyes.

And I'm not sure how their top speed really plays any sort of role in the aesthetics of the ship. One the neatest looking cars of the 80s, the Fiero, was slow and cheaply made and prone to catch on fire.
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »
    While I do agree that it would make more sense in many aspects, I think the more story you have in a setting like this, the more protagonists (races in this case) you'll need, lest "everything will happen to the Deferi". Which, especially since they already are a non canon race made by Cryptic, may make people easily fed up. Think about the flak already some canon races are getting for their mission involvement, and multiply that with a keeper of canon factor.

Yeah, the Lukari backstory is somewhat sketchy for building own ship designs, there the Deferi would have been better, but at the same time a story with new exploration for an established spacefaring race would not really be that much better.

The main reason I keep harping on the Deferi is that their potential hasn't been used, at all. They have been forgotten for a long time, their zones abandoned and they never ever got BOFFs or playable characters, never got equipment and starships on their own. It would fit, their fleet is inadequate and they just now start out exploring again, the alliance helps them rebuild after the Breen and Borg and from there on we could grant them some more development.

The Lukari though - I don't have anything against them, but right now they're still very underdeveloped.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The Lukari were present at the signing of the Temporal Accords as equal partners on par with powers like the Breen and Tholians. Roll that around in your head for a second.

With the All-Captain (us) hanging over their shoulder they're on track to catapult into galactic prominence. Seriously, they have the champion of the Iconian Wars, Savior of the Alliance, and all around nexus-of-everything playing midwife to their emergence on to the galactic stage.

Make no mistake, that off-handed "oh, protomatter's easy to control" comment was NOT a throw-away line.

((I'm kind of betting that mysterious subspace shear in the gekli feeding ground comes up again too. Chekhov's Gun: not just a phaser pistol...))
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

The main reason I keep harping on the Deferi is that their potential hasn't been used, at all. They have been forgotten for a long time, their zones abandoned and they never ever got BOFFs or playable characters, never got equipment and starships on their own. It would fit, their fleet is inadequate and they just now start out exploring again, the alliance helps them rebuild after the Breen and Borg and from there on we could grant them some more development.

The Lukari though - I don't have anything against them, but right now they're still very underdeveloped.​​

The Deferi are a dumb race, however.

Okay, that is a bit harsh, but their droning on about "balance" is more annoying then Klingons droning about their honor. Honor (or Profit) have been actual important aspects in human societies the Deferi "Balance" wreaks of an artificial sci-fi concept that breaks down quickly.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    The Deferi are a dumb race, however.

Okay, that is a bit harsh, but their droning on about "balance" is more annoying then Klingons droning about their honor. Honor (or Profit) have been actual important aspects in human societies the Deferi "Balance" wreaks of an artificial sci-fi concept that breaks down quickly.

The concept of balance as a philosophy is prominent in eastern societies and was a big part of pre-christian cultures, so saying they don't have any significance for human morality plays is not correct in my opinion. However, I grant you that they (Deferi) are written terribly. A major problem in a lot of works is that nobody really gets how "balance" or "neutrality" work. It has nothing to do with passiveness. In fact, keeping the balance/neutrality requires a lot of activity, as anyone ever having played a truly neutral character properly can tell you (or look at how much work it is in eastern philosophy to embrace a balanced/enlightened lifestyle). As such I say their concept haven't even been touched yet, sentences like "we keep the balance, and thus don't do anything" are tremendously stupid however.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly the concept of "honor" is largely arbitrary too. It's one of those things that exists as a sort of faux morality. But it's defined by the ruling class of a society.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly the concept of "honor" is largely arbitrary too. It's one of those things that exists as a sort of faux morality. But it's defined by the ruling class of a society.

True, "honour" by itself is void of any meaning and purely subjective. Usually, "western minded" people associate a romanticized version of medieval chivalry or a vaguely eastern "warrior code" with it, but ask a person from the middle east and they probably have a different concept in mind, depending on what their societal environment defined as "honourable" at the time.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif