What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Check the lastest interviews. Already stated NOT in the time period most have been guessing at.

Maybe the 25th Century Prime Universe goes retro just like the 23rd Century went retro in comparison to the 22nd Century. That In a Mirror, Darkly episode certainly was weird with a ship from 100 years in the future looks more primitive than their ships.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D. I happen to like it. This new (er, old?) ship, looks like a box with things sticking out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants The D.

GsTLTqE.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I dig the name. Ship looks nice. I am torn between if it's phase 2 inspired or klingon battlecruiser inspired, but I like this design. This ought to be "fascinating."

I'm going to vote that it is inspired by both.

Like, they took the Ralph McQuarrie concept art from Phase II/Planet of the Titans, and added some D7 to it. Especially since in the music, there's some callback to the Jerry Goldsmith Klingon theme from TMP.

I always loved the D7, never liked the old McQuarrie concept much, but I dig how they reinterpreted it for this. I'm definitely looking forward to this series.

I'm also looking forward, with Schadenfreude, for all the Grampa Simpson hater types to dislike it out of fear of change (the same reason they hate the KT stuff), and can't wait to hear the BS excuses they use in place of admitting to themselves that they're just grumpy old men.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "I hope it will grow on me, but not a big fan unless it's a Fed/Klingon hybrid."

I'm betting it is.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Hey now - I'm a grumpy old man, and I don't mind the design at all! Don't paint us all with the same brush, now...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »
    It's true that the Enterprise's (1701) sister ship, the Constellation, sported a registry of NCC-1017. So hard to say where, exactly, NCC-1031 will sit.

Very true, cause the Constitution was NX or NCC 1700. If you went by the NCC number, it would put the Constellation older.

This is why you can't go by the NCC numbers on age of ship.

Nope, but it gives you a pretty good idea. Especially since the YouTube video says "Test Flight", which I'm pretty sure indicates that it takes place around the era it was launched.

I suppose there's the possibility that the writers nitpicked through Memory Alpha to find loopholes to make an older NCC registry for a ship despite the show itself taking place in a different time frame, but I'm going to bet that isn't the case, and the show takes place sometime between Enterprise and TOS.​​

Think again.

How old is the Oberth Class? The Grissom from Star Trek III has a NCC 638 registry. Most sources indicate they was built after the 2270s. Also the Copernicus was in Space Dock when the Whale Probe showed up. It also has a NCC 640 registry.

Here is a list of the ships from the class.
    USS Biko NCC-50331
    USS Bonestell NCC-31600
    USS Cochrane NCC-59318
    USS Copernicus NCC-640
    USS Grissom NCC-638
    USS Oberth NCC-602

USS Pegasus NCC-53847
    USS Raman NCC-29487
    USS Tsiolkovsky NCC-53911
    USS Yosemite NCC-19002

Here is a list of the Constitutions. Even here they didn't follow a NCC build theme.

USS Constitution NCC-1700
    USS Constellation NCC-1017
    USS Defiant NCC-1764
    USS Eagle NCC-956 (refit)
    USS Endeavour NCC-1895
    USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit 2271)
    USS Essex NCC-1697
    USS Excalibur NCC-1664
    USS Exeter NCC-1672
    USS Farragut NCC-1647

USS Hood NCC-1703
    USS Intrepid NCC-1631
    USS Kongo NCC-1710
    USS Lexington NCC-1709
    USS Potemkin NCC-1657
    USS Republic NCC-1371

USS Yorktown NCC-1717
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    if i had to guess...i'd say chapter-based means the entire season will be one massive continuous arc with none of the episodes being standalone, like most of marvel's superhero shows
    That would be the implication of his statement, yes. He noted the fact that in their "chapter" setup, they can explore things "that would be just breezed past in a standalone episode."​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hey now - I'm a grumpy old man, and I don't mind the design at all! Don't paint us all with the same brush, now...​​

No, no, there is a difference between being an old man (both of us), and being a grumpy old man :) Grumpy old men wish for the past. Wise old men keep wanting new experiences.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing

They don't need every fan. Just enough.

I agree it's a gamble, but every show is.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I'll need to see more shots of it, however it's made a better first impression on me than the Galaxy class.
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    I don't see this ship growing on me.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    UcRcrka.png

I mean, it's not my favorite by a longshot or anything, but I don't find it ugly.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    kelshando wrote: »
    Well puts more light on why they had to hide this behind a pay wall lol

Well, Fuller said he wants this series more graphic, which is a code word for blood and sex. TBH this make sence because there were 2 series (Breaking bad and Game of thrones) that destroyed every charts even tho they were on payed channel and were shows for adults.
    TV has changed since 2005 and he knows this.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Reminds me of an Idic....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The NCC number don't make it pre TOS. As shown with known Constitutions. I separated all the ones that has numbers that predate the ship that started the Constitution class. If you go by the NCC number alone. These would be built way before the Class Ship was built.

** USS Constellation NCC-1017
    USS Defiant NCC-1764
    ** USS Eagle NCC-956 (refit)
    USS Endeavour NCC-1895
    ** USS Essex NCC-1697
    ** USS Excalibur NCC-1664
    ** USS Exeter NCC-1672

** USS Farragut NCC-1647
    USS Hood NCC-1703
    ** USS Intrepid NCC-1631
    USS Kongo NCC-1710
    USS Lexington NCC-1709
    ** USS Potemkin NCC-1657
    ** USS Republic NCC-1371
    USS Yorktown NCC-1717

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I like it, the triangle part will take time to get used to, but I like it.
  • Options
    bernatk wrote: »
    kelshando wrote: »
    Well puts more light on why they had to hide this behind a pay wall lol

Well, Fuller said he wants this series more graphic, which is a code word for blood and sex. TBH this make sence because there were 2 series (Breaking bad and Game of thrones) that destroyed every charts even tho they were on payed channel and were shows for adults.
    TV has changed since 2005 and he knows this.

Greedy !!

• Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    As for the ship itself... @_@ ... I recognized the design right away, and honestly,, im 50/50 its horrible, and its great at the same time. Its definitely a Star Trek universe starship, but its very different from any other Hero ship we've ever seen on screen. The NCC-1031 means it's potentially Pre-TOS, which seems like an odd choice, because wouldn't that potentially be repeating the same mistakes made with Enterprise? IE: Technology can't seem more advanced than TOS. Many alien races first contacted in TOS, TNG, DS9, etc would be off limits because " canon". Unless they plan on pulling some sort of huge twist like the ship gets sent to the Andromeda galaxy and has too,, ow wait,, haven't we seen that before too?

Eh, I think Enterprise's problems were less because of the time period and more because the writers were trying to make it up as they went. For prequels to work you need to have an idea of where you want to go with it, otherwise you wind up writing yourself into corners because of poor planning.

I've seen it reported that they have stated this show will have a serialized story format (ala DS9) so things might work out better than the last prequel attempt. The fact that Nicholas Meyers is on the project also gives me a little more faith in the story telling potential. However I'll admit the network executives seem to be almost ashamed of the franchise at times, so you never know how things will turn out.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D. I happen to like it. This new (er, old?) ship, looks like a box with things sticking out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants The D.

GsTLTqE.jpg​​

I guess this is the response, Iconoians.youtu.be/mJXYMDu6dpY

• Options
    Yeah, not like those charitable beings at the cable companies who package a bunch of channels you don't actually want or will ever watch in your service just so you can have access to the 3 or 4 channels you might actually want.

No, sir. It's paid streaming services like Netflix and CBS All-Access that are the real problem here!​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I get the impression this it's just test footage and that the final design, and the quality of the CGI itself, will be far nicer than what we've seen here.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    That ship is pretty darn fugly! Still, I personally think the Excelsior is the fugliest Trek ship in my opinion.

Sad, I always felt it was the most underappreciated workhorse of the UFP.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    [
    farmallm wrote: »
    The NCC number don't make it pre TOS. As shown with known Constitutions. I separated all the ones that has numbers that predate the ship that started the Constitution class. If you go by the NCC number alone. These would be built way before the Class Ship was built.

** USS Constellation NCC-1017
    USS Defiant NCC-1764
    ** USS Eagle NCC-956 (refit)
    USS Endeavour NCC-1895
    ** USS Essex NCC-1697
    ** USS Excalibur NCC-1664
    ** USS Exeter NCC-1672

** USS Farragut NCC-1647
    USS Hood NCC-1703
    ** USS Intrepid NCC-1631
    USS Kongo NCC-1710
    USS Lexington NCC-1709
    ** USS Potemkin NCC-1657
    ** USS Republic NCC-1371
    USS Yorktown NCC-1717

If you go by hero ships, and hero ships only, this will pre-date the Enterprise. And I think it's safe to say that, outside of the hero ships, registry numbers are just random. Only the hero ships stick to any sort of pattern.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Oh wow...
    It's... Weird.
    I like the primary hull and the boxy nacelles, but that "Dorito Wedge" secondary hull has got to go.

Oh lordy, that's stuck in my head now..., it's the U.S.S. DORITO

<sad face>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Take the 4-digit NCC, consider the wide "Type 1" windows, the square-ish hull plates, add in the design of the nacelles and the glowy-blue-light deflector... Makes me think that this will likely be right around TMP era: 2270s, which, coincidentally, is when the abandoned Phase II series (not to be confused with the New Voyages/Phase II fan series) would have been set (the script for the Phase II pilot "In thy Image" actually became TMP's script). Also, the triangle-shaped secondary hull design was one of the rejected proposals for the Phase II Enterprise refit--not a TOS or TNG design.

Yeah, it's totally a guess, but what (very) little we know so far... it fits.

As a side note, the NCC-1031: Space Shuttle Discovery had the designator OV-103.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User

'mercans: https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

Rest of us: https://youtu.be/Cxba2WjlN90

Soo.. this is a thing now... highly doubt we'll see it come STO's way any time soon... and before folks complain too much, consensus is that the folks drew inspiration off of some early phase II enterprise concepts... soo, yeah.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    It's the U.S.S. DORITO....

Klingon flavored.

:#
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
This discussion has been closed.