test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    <THEY ALREADY CONFIRMED THIS TAKES PLACE AFTER The Undiscovered Country AND IN THE PRIME TIMELINE> THEY SAID THIS SOMETIME AGO AND THEY"VE REPEATED IT A FEW TIMES>

psst. actually the director completely debunked that theory. Sorry to bust your bubble.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

psst. actually the director completely debunked that theory. Sorry to bust your bubble.[/quote]

PARDON ME. i dont think you have a clue what you are talking about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-officially-takes-place-in-the-prim-1784196830
    Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.”
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    "He couldn’t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however."
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Watched it, then rewatched, then rewatched it pausing at various points.

It looks like a starfleet saucer, attached to a Klingon hull, with Cardassianish Skin.

It dawned on me, what if this ship has saucer seperation and it becomes two ships, one federation like, the other Klingon like.

In the previous trailer it did say new crews, new ships, maybe this is a joint Starfleet/KDF ship, that can seperat into two or more ships.

Also why is it in the middle of an astroid being refueled or built.

If its a joint venture ship, its number means less then otherwise if one is trying to indentify its time period.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    No wonder CBS sued Axanar. It's awful.... no dreadful... makes you want to vomit. Like CBS said who gives ****, they will take what I give them. And slapped on the body of the k'tinga..... And don't get me started on the poor quality or horrible name choice. "TRIBBLE"?! What were they thinking?

Only one thing to say to this and all who support it.

337407.gif

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Someone in the YouTube comments claims (without any source) that it's a hybrid Federation/Klingon design. No hard evidence that this is true, but it would explain some things: the "hunched" design with the giant wedge, for instance, and I thought the captain's chair looked kind of Klingon-esque.
  • melore1799melore1799 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I'm sold on the name. I'm physically ill over the ship. Star Trek Discovery has a great, inspirational title that screams what Star Trek is about.... but you have to be able to at least stand to look at the ship you're traveling in! There's a reason some designs DIDN'T leave the drawing board. So disappointed in this choice and I sincerely hope it gets tweeked. The best starships have all had beautiful lines and a graceful shape. Quoting a historian I heard once, it's why people like a Ferrari and not an AMC Pacer. This ship reminds me of a 70's Cadillac in all the WRONG ways: big, clunky, angular, and so very very brown.1973-Cadillacs.jpg
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    *sigh* I recognized it the moment I saw the silhouette. I've never been a fan of that Ralph McQuarrie design... The ship was rejected for a reason after all. The triangular secondary hull with a round saucer is just a bad combination no matter how you try to tweak the detailing. Sadly despite all the complaints the general design was already canon with appearances in Star Trek III and in TNG's Best of Both Worlds.

That was some pretty bland cgi work, it looked more like a motion comic than an actual fully fleshed out animation. I've seen some other teasers recently for a new Transformers cgi cartoon that is using motion comics for its early advertising. Here's hoping that this was a similar marketing choice, using storyboarding animatics in the absence of the actual footage (this is still very early in production after all).

Well with the registry hinting at it being between Enterprise and TOS I think we know why CBS/Paramount was pushing so hard against Axanar, it looks like this show might be occupying a similar place in the timeline.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D. I happen to like it. This new (er, old?) ship, looks like a box with things sticking out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants The D.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
    psst. actually the director completely debunked that theory. Sorry to bust your bubble.

PARDON ME. i dont think you have a clue what you are talking about[/quote]

Check the lastest interviews. Already stated NOT in the time period most have been guessing at.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    https://www.google.ca/amp/mashable.com/2016/07/23/star-trek-discovery.amp?client=ms-android-bell-ca#

Fuller says its chapter based instead of Episodic. So its not an Anthology, its noy Episodic, its Chapter based, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!

For now I'm going that it focuses heavily on season long arcs. Kind of like 24, but with a longer time line.
    No wonder CBS sued Axanar. It's awful.... no dreadful... makes you want to vomit. Like CBS said who gives ****, they will take what I give them. And slapped on the body of the k'tinga..... And don't get me started on the poor quality or horrible name choice. "TRIBBLE"?! What were they thinking?

Only one thing to say to this and all who support it.

Agreed on Anaxar. Too bad they just didn't develop that into a story line and called it a day.
    afMSv4g.jpg

psiameese wrote: »
    It's true that the Enterprise's (1701) sister ship, the Constellation, sported a registry of NCC-1017. So hard to say where, exactly, NCC-1031 will sit.

Well, the real life reason why the registry number of Constellation from The Doomsday Machine is 1017, is because to make the model of the wrecked Constellation, being a low-budget show, they actually just bought a retail plastic model of the Enterprise and cut and rearranged the 1701 registry number. I don't know if there is a canon hocus-pocus TRIBBLE way to explain it away.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    if i had to guess...i'd say chapter-based means the entire season will be one massive continuous arc with none of the episodes being standalone, like most of marvel's superhero shows​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    ^^^^ I agree with this on the CGI part. There is no WAY that is even close to a final product. With the relatively low cost of CGI nowadays CBS would not skimp on that. This has to be proof of concept, or something akin to a version 1 of the ship CGI.

As for the ship itself... @_@ ... I recognized the design right away, and honestly,, im 50/50 its horrible, and its great at the same time. Its definitely a Star Trek universe starship, but its very different from any other Hero ship we've ever seen on screen. The NCC-1031 means it's potentially Pre-TOS, which seems like an odd choice, because wouldn't that potentially be repeating the same mistakes made with Enterprise? IE: Technology can't seem more advanced than TOS. Many alien races first contacted in TOS, TNG, DS9, etc would be off limits because " canon". Unless they plan on pulling some sort of huge twist like the ship gets sent to the Andromeda galaxy and has too,, ow wait,, haven't we seen that before too?
    I have to admit I am now more nervous about this show. I was excited when I saw all the talent being brought in for show runners and writers,, but now I'm nervous that this show won't fly over well. Is it possible the warp core will explode while in spacedock?
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    PARDON ME. i dont think you have a clue what you are talking about
    Bryan Fuller interview with MovieFone.com
    There's been a lot of speculation about the format and setting of the new series. What would you like to put out there now, to wet the appetite for the audience?

I mean, it's funny. I've read that we're [set] before "Next Generation," after ["Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country," which is false. I've read that it's an anthology show, which is not accurate.
    ​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Check the lastest interviews. Already stated NOT in the time period most have been guessing at.

Maybe the 25th Century Prime Universe goes retro just like the 23rd Century went retro in comparison to the 22nd Century. That In a Mirror, Darkly episode certainly was weird with a ship from 100 years in the future looks more primitive than their ships.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D. I happen to like it. This new (er, old?) ship, looks like a box with things sticking out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants The D.

GsTLTqE.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    I dig the name. Ship looks nice. I am torn between if it's phase 2 inspired or klingon battlecruiser inspired, but I like this design. This ought to be "fascinating."

I'm going to vote that it is inspired by both.

Like, they took the Ralph McQuarrie concept art from Phase II/Planet of the Titans, and added some D7 to it. Especially since in the music, there's some callback to the Jerry Goldsmith Klingon theme from TMP.

I always loved the D7, never liked the old McQuarrie concept much, but I dig how they reinterpreted it for this. I'm definitely looking forward to this series.

I'm also looking forward, with Schadenfreude, for all the Grampa Simpson hater types to dislike it out of fear of change (the same reason they hate the KT stuff), and can't wait to hear the BS excuses they use in place of admitting to themselves that they're just grumpy old men.
    "I hope it will grow on me, but not a big fan unless it's a Fed/Klingon hybrid."

I'm betting it is.
    Hey now - I'm a grumpy old man, and I don't mind the design at all! Don't paint us all with the same brush, now...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »
    It's true that the Enterprise's (1701) sister ship, the Constellation, sported a registry of NCC-1017. So hard to say where, exactly, NCC-1031 will sit.

Very true, cause the Constitution was NX or NCC 1700. If you went by the NCC number, it would put the Constellation older.

This is why you can't go by the NCC numbers on age of ship.

Nope, but it gives you a pretty good idea. Especially since the YouTube video says "Test Flight", which I'm pretty sure indicates that it takes place around the era it was launched.

I suppose there's the possibility that the writers nitpicked through Memory Alpha to find loopholes to make an older NCC registry for a ship despite the show itself taking place in a different time frame, but I'm going to bet that isn't the case, and the show takes place sometime between Enterprise and TOS.​​

Think again.

How old is the Oberth Class? The Grissom from Star Trek III has a NCC 638 registry. Most sources indicate they was built after the 2270s. Also the Copernicus was in Space Dock when the Whale Probe showed up. It also has a NCC 640 registry.

Here is a list of the ships from the class.
    USS Biko NCC-50331
    USS Bonestell NCC-31600
    USS Cochrane NCC-59318
    USS Copernicus NCC-640
    USS Grissom NCC-638
    USS Oberth NCC-602

USS Pegasus NCC-53847
    USS Raman NCC-29487
    USS Tsiolkovsky NCC-53911
    USS Yosemite NCC-19002

Here is a list of the Constitutions. Even here they didn't follow a NCC build theme.

USS Constitution NCC-1700
    USS Constellation NCC-1017
    USS Defiant NCC-1764
    USS Eagle NCC-956 (refit)
    USS Endeavour NCC-1895
    USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit 2271)
    USS Essex NCC-1697
    USS Excalibur NCC-1664
    USS Exeter NCC-1672
    USS Farragut NCC-1647

USS Hood NCC-1703
    USS Intrepid NCC-1631
    USS Kongo NCC-1710
    USS Lexington NCC-1709
    USS Potemkin NCC-1657
    USS Republic NCC-1371

USS Yorktown NCC-1717
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    if i had to guess...i'd say chapter-based means the entire season will be one massive continuous arc with none of the episodes being standalone, like most of marvel's superhero shows
    That would be the implication of his statement, yes. He noted the fact that in their "chapter" setup, they can explore things "that would be just breezed past in a standalone episode."​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hey now - I'm a grumpy old man, and I don't mind the design at all! Don't paint us all with the same brush, now...​​

No, no, there is a difference between being an old man (both of us), and being a grumpy old man :) Grumpy old men wish for the past. Wise old men keep wanting new experiences.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing

They don't need every fan. Just enough.

I agree it's a gamble, but every show is.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I'll need to see more shots of it, however it's made a better first impression on me than the Galaxy class.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    I don't see this ship growing on me.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    UcRcrka.png

I mean, it's not my favorite by a longshot or anything, but I don't find it ugly.
This discussion has been closed.