test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I read this post in Calculon's voice.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    Funny - many of the same issues were made of the Enterprise-D - the fans hated it at first. Now, they love it.

What's more surprising - this isnt' the final version of the ship. While people are making video's and posting blogs about how bad it looks, the exec in charge has already publicly said - this isn't the finished ship. This is a rough.

Another win for rushed marketing.
  • bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Funny - many of the same issues were made of the Enterprise-D - the fans hated it at first. Now, they love it.

What's more surprising - this isnt' the final version of the ship. While people are making video's and posting blogs about how bad it looks, the exec in charge has already publicly said - this isn't the finished ship. This is a rough.

that's definitely the crux of the thing right there.. it was rushed out, clearly some idiot decided to do this at the last moment... I think an Excelsior model would've generated more "oooooohs" than this thing. :B

• bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    My reactions when seeing this ship.
    RQ1J_f-maxage-0.gif

sthk.gif

This ship is so bad, it gets all the facepalms.

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_n66ilk9N7p1tbhzz6o1_400.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_lyrv9mYxn01qbyhcjo1_r1_500.gif

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User

But, first impressions matter, a lot. You can see the kind of first impressions this is giving off. That is not good if you want people to rally behind a show.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

But, first impressions matter, a lot. You can see the kind of first impressions this is giving off. That is not good if you want people to rally behind a show.

I don't know about that.

I mean, I think the ship looks kinda silly, but it's certainly not going to stop me from watching the show. Most people I know realized it was an early work and not the final version.

Overall, I don't care for the design, but I'm still going to give the show a chance.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    It looked all right until it poked it's back end out of it's space cave but someone wishes they had a Klingon ship. The mash up looks nasty but either half would look OK if they cut it half and finished both ships.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User

indeed, i mean scuttlebutt is that even this ship isn't concrete, even so it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of...well... anyone with eyes.
    (except possibly sam neill)

i would LOVE to see more concrete details about its era, etc.. If you look at this Ships registry number, you're prolly right about the era, but wouldn't the ships of that time be more of a bridge between "Enterprise" and "TOS" if that were the case? and before anyone comes up with the "perhaps prototype" argument, the lack of NX suffix kinda torpedoes that theory... which i'd buy otherwise.

You'd think though CBS would've had something better quality planned for the 50th Anniversary, no?
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    kelshando wrote: »
    Well puts more light on why they had to hide this behind a pay wall lol

Well, Fuller said he wants this series more graphic, which is a code word for blood and sex. TBH this make sence because there were 2 series (Breaking bad and Game of thrones) that destroyed every charts even tho they were on payed channel and were shows for adults.
    TV has changed since 2005 and he knows this.

What ever... they are giving it to everyone but North America through Netflix... At least with Netflix you can get something other then CBS TRIBBLE... Even though I would like another Star Trek shows I hope this one crashs and burns over this...

Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead, NCIS have near the same viewership as Game of Thrones... so I call BS on that reason...

The only reason go behind a paywall like CBS all access us they want to try to squeeze more money...

I have a feeling its going to flop as I think most people in the US are not going to want to add another pay service just for one show.. people already paying for hulu and Netflix and amazon prime.. and those cost almost the same and offer a ton more for the money. On top of cable TV...
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing

They don't need every fan. Just enough.

I agree it's a gamble, but every show is.​​
    And it's apparently going to be on Netflix outside the USA and Canada, which is a bit more common for people to already make use of (us overseas market folk might not matter as much, but we're not irrelevant in the final count).

As to the ship... I don't think it looks bad as such, but it does look more like a Starfleet-KDF hybrid than a proper Starfleet design to me. Perhaps it'll grow on me, perhaps not.
  • highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Upon seeing that monstrosity, I can only say, in the words of my main character:

"Trasnphasic torpedoes. Both tubes. Fire for effect"
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    captsol wrote: »
    (...)
    I also really, really hope that's very early CGI that was just put together at the last minute because it's just awful. When fan films like Axanar and others are beating the pants off an official production it's no wonder CBS is scared and suing.

This is my biggest concern. I can'T believe that this is supposed to be real promotional footage at this point, it looks like a sequence of some Trek game from 2002 pig-17.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    IMO,.. the ugliest ship ever.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I do not understand the shows so far obsession with bronze-earth coloured things (the ship and the chevron) and why the promotional CGI looks like a cutscene from a Trek game from 2002 pig-39.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • hardsalehardsale Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    looks like a Klingon battle crusier got horny and mated with a miranda
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    I'd love ship designer to decide if its a klingon vessel or fed vessel - ita cannot be both at once >.>

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    This is why you cant kitbash the D7 and the Constitution. :D
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    It's still prettier than the Enterprise J....
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Sweet mother of God, burn it with fire! What the hell is that thing!?! Anyone get a good look at the registry number? Is it in the 1000's or 10000's I couldn't tell? Because that will pinpoint where the show takes place in the timeline.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Registery number is 1031.
    "This is why you cant kitbash the D7 and the Constitution"

It appears you can and they did!

I know alot of people hate it, but I do like the saucer section, and I can get used to the D7 back half.
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    I never understood the need to go all out with these things.

Can't they ever play it safe? I mean, people even complained about the JJ-Constitution, yet at least it holds true to it's basic shape.

Why the straight edges, I don't get it. Go all Sealth Bomber or not at all.
    giphy.gif
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    My thoughts are that it's part of the reason CBS shut down Axanar (other than the malicious fraud and IP theft) in this it has a similar concept. I think this is the Prime version of the Kelvin era.
    • The ship is bare metal similar to the NX and Kelvin.
    • It's been thrown around that the Kelvin itself is not a PU ship due to temporal ripples
    • That's a low ENT-TOS era registry.
    • The features, such as the thrusters and nacelles look very basic, a step between the industrial look of EXT/Kelvin and the simplistic look of TOS.
    • No phaser strips
    • Saucer detailing and shape similar to the Franklin in its angles.

Could it be the canon version of the Aeres from Axanar?

Now the speculation.
    • It's in a hidden asteroid base and not a dry dock suggesting a secret construction.
    • It has a vaguely Klingon design, could it have been developed as a counter-Klingon war ship?
    • It's a bronzy colour which is definitely new, is it a reflection of its era or a experimental hull?

The only issue with my speculation is the ship's name. Discovery. It's not exactly Defiant or Vengeance is it?

As for the design itself, I'm not it's biggest fan due to the style of the nacelles. I'm sure it will be mentioned how much it deviates from the Starfleet norm (a norm that consists of the Constitution, Ambassador, and Galaxy only, almost every other ship deviates in some large way) but I will not judge it solely on a few second clip with unfinished modeling work.

Edit: It also appears to have raised windows.​​
    Post edited by artan42 on
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90

It looks like a D7 parked its bridge section all up in a Mirandas aft shuttlebay.
    Did anyone notice how dark and spooky the music was, I was expecting optimistic, instead it was music that screamed this is a horror movie. I liked it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Oh, just shut up about ship designs already. These Forums always burn when any ship is not the traditional saucer design with round thises or thats.

It is what it is, and if it is this and not a deliberate deception then all the belly-aching in the world on these Forums are not going to change it.

If you are morally opposed to its design or get physically sick looking at it, you have two choices - don't watch it when it premiers or adapt.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    It IS a Cartoon, they haven't shot anything yet, or done proper CGIs yet, so this is just a cartoon mock up to give people a taste.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Also, the ship design this one was based on does appear onscreen...

qualor2.jpg

Bottom right

phaseii-spacedock.jpg

Top left​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Actually I take back what I said since I saw the video I somehow missed, It's nowhere near as bad looking as the picture that was shown for the old concept. Very very different looking than that actually. Still, I'll never like saucers no matter what, but it could've been far worse. I would have preferred a design that's like the Prometheus we saw in Voyager, I like arrowheads, not saucers.
This discussion has been closed.