test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If I was given command of that thing, my first official order as Captain would be "Computer, begin auto-destruct sequence."
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90

The Video in the original post isn't available in some countries so heres the one from the ComicCon YouTube channel that will play in UK / Europe
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The T6 Discovery-class Intellicommandemporal Elite Tactical Advanced Science Dreadnought Carrier 3-pack, coming to a C-store near you.

The Marrone-class will be the Engineering-focused version and look eerily similar to the Ambassador.

The Randall-class will be the Tactical-focused version and will have a trait that buffs FAW, and will generally be the one most players use because it will probably have like 5 tactical consoles.

The Ricossa-class will be the Science version but isn't quite sure what the starship will be, and will change it a year after release after stating that Cryptic wasn't sure what form the ship would take before selling it, sorry for the inconvenience.

Each carrier will come with a Hangar of Duguid-class Tacotical Fighters that will be stupid overpowered, but still suffer from poor AI and will blow up routinely from enemy warp core breaches.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    It reminds me of an upside down rotary sander.
    :|
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    That's one ugly bucket. I'm sure it will be in STO soon.
  • eaceac Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    You know, I never really feel a need to post but.... Apparently there is no god. Please, PLEASE KILL THIS ABOMINATION NOW!! Oh ffs tear out my eyes! Tear out my eyes I can't unsee this THING!! I hate you CBS, I hate you T_T
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    That ship is pretty darn fugly! Still, I personally think the Excelsior is the fugliest Trek ship in my opinion.

Then you haven't seen any of these
    http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/index.php
    :*
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    This ship is sad and it makes me sad looking as it.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D.
    scarling wrote: »
    Not a fan of the D as well

9TH49Mz.jpg​​

Too bad there's no upvoting.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Hi everyone, I know this isn't STO related, but I have made a reaction and review video to the new First Look of Star Trek's U.S.S. Discovery trailer that was released. Since a lot of people know me and my channel through STO, I thought I'd post this here :)

My review video - https://youtu.be/wTtuk5bbZZA

The original Video - https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

Thanks for watching :)
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I know what kind of crew the ship will have.

3774929200_e7dacc7d97_o.jpg
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It's interesting that they dug out some of the old TMP/Phase 2/Planet of the Titans stuff for this design and maybe if it had been done back then it wouldn't be as jarring. As it currently stands, though, there's far too much of a disconnect and a dissonance with established Star Trek aesthetics, especially since this new show has officially been stated to be in the Prime Universe.

I also really, really hope that's very early CGI that was just put together at the last minute because it's just awful. When fan films like Axanar and others are beating the pants off an official production it's no wonder CBS is scared and suing.
  • bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I agree with most of your points here... as for the CG quality? My mother and avid trek fan said "it looks like a cartoon" and that she's seen better fan offerings in that arena.

Me? i'll play devils advocate on that part and postulate that some idiot decided to throw together a quick test render in order to make comicon.

The Design? horribly clumsy.. saucer then suddenly all these angles and a very flat profile. I mean if this discovery was a testbed for a particular set of engine specs? yeah i'll grant that.. but given that this ship is ALL WE KNOW about the new series? it doth not bode well..

and honestly even Drexler's proposed "NX-Refit" looked better than this. :B
    it's not a very "dynamic" design, personally. it looks... very plain.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I read this post in Calculon's voice.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    Funny - many of the same issues were made of the Enterprise-D - the fans hated it at first. Now, they love it.

What's more surprising - this isnt' the final version of the ship. While people are making video's and posting blogs about how bad it looks, the exec in charge has already publicly said - this isn't the finished ship. This is a rough.

Another win for rushed marketing.
    Funny - many of the same issues were made of the Enterprise-D - the fans hated it at first. Now, they love it.

What's more surprising - this isnt' the final version of the ship. While people are making video's and posting blogs about how bad it looks, the exec in charge has already publicly said - this isn't the finished ship. This is a rough.

that's definitely the crux of the thing right there.. it was rushed out, clearly some idiot decided to do this at the last moment... I think an Excelsior model would've generated more "oooooohs" than this thing. :B

• bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    My reactions when seeing this ship.
    RQ1J_f-maxage-0.gif

sthk.gif

This ship is so bad, it gets all the facepalms.

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_n66ilk9N7p1tbhzz6o1_400.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_lyrv9mYxn01qbyhcjo1_r1_500.gif

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User

But, first impressions matter, a lot. You can see the kind of first impressions this is giving off. That is not good if you want people to rally behind a show.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

But, first impressions matter, a lot. You can see the kind of first impressions this is giving off. That is not good if you want people to rally behind a show.

I don't know about that.

I mean, I think the ship looks kinda silly, but it's certainly not going to stop me from watching the show. Most people I know realized it was an early work and not the final version.

Overall, I don't care for the design, but I'm still going to give the show a chance.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    It looked all right until it poked it's back end out of it's space cave but someone wishes they had a Klingon ship. The mash up looks nasty but either half would look OK if they cut it half and finished both ships.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

indeed, i mean scuttlebutt is that even this ship isn't concrete, even so it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of...well... anyone with eyes.
    (except possibly sam neill)

i would LOVE to see more concrete details about its era, etc.. If you look at this Ships registry number, you're prolly right about the era, but wouldn't the ships of that time be more of a bridge between "Enterprise" and "TOS" if that were the case? and before anyone comes up with the "perhaps prototype" argument, the lack of NX suffix kinda torpedoes that theory... which i'd buy otherwise.

You'd think though CBS would've had something better quality planned for the 50th Anniversary, no?
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    kelshando wrote: »
    Well puts more light on why they had to hide this behind a pay wall lol

Well, Fuller said he wants this series more graphic, which is a code word for blood and sex. TBH this make sence because there were 2 series (Breaking bad and Game of thrones) that destroyed every charts even tho they were on payed channel and were shows for adults.
    TV has changed since 2005 and he knows this.

What ever... they are giving it to everyone but North America through Netflix... At least with Netflix you can get something other then CBS TRIBBLE... Even though I would like another Star Trek shows I hope this one crashs and burns over this...

Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead, NCIS have near the same viewership as Game of Thrones... so I call BS on that reason...

The only reason go behind a paywall like CBS all access us they want to try to squeeze more money...

I have a feeling its going to flop as I think most people in the US are not going to want to add another pay service just for one show.. people already paying for hulu and Netflix and amazon prime.. and those cost almost the same and offer a ton more for the money. On top of cable TV...
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    doesn't matter to me. the new show is doomed because not every fan is going to subscribe to cbs all access to watch the thing

They don't need every fan. Just enough.

I agree it's a gamble, but every show is.​​
    And it's apparently going to be on Netflix outside the USA and Canada, which is a bit more common for people to already make use of (us overseas market folk might not matter as much, but we're not irrelevant in the final count).

As to the ship... I don't think it looks bad as such, but it does look more like a Starfleet-KDF hybrid than a proper Starfleet design to me. Perhaps it'll grow on me, perhaps not.
  • highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Upon seeing that monstrosity, I can only say, in the words of my main character:

"Trasnphasic torpedoes. Both tubes. Fire for effect"
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
This discussion has been closed.