test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "NCC-1031, so it will play probably between ENT and TOS, pre-kelvin timeline.

Watch the twitter about moar info..."

If it is, then its really not Prime or Kelvin Timeline, it predates the split so it would belong to both equally.

This might be why that time was chosen.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    It'll grow on you. I remember when TNG was new, and people were saying things that like about the Galaxy ships...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I don't think it's ugly, it's just very very different.

Aniways it's shame they didn't introduced the new captain. They will start filming in september, that's just 1 month away.

Ah yeah.... that's probably for STLV...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    It's all a matter of taste. I always thought the Enterprise-D looked like the NCC-1701-A got really drunk at the wrap party for The Voyage Home, went off somewhere with one of the whales, and nine months later the Ent-D was the result. But some people loved it. Hopefully, some people will love this one as well. (Looks kind of interesting to me, actually. Combination of Fed saucer and some rakish Klingon-looking lines on that secondary hull.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It'll grow on you. I remember when TNG was new, and people were saying things that like about the Galaxy ships...​​

I still hate the look of the galaxy. it's even uglier than the Derpscovery. Didn't keep me from enjoying TNG.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    [Edit] Just read the article further where it notes that it's based on a very old unused USS Enterprise concept... Interesting...
    Yep, I remember reading about the design in Starlog back in the '70s. Ralph McQuarrie also designed the Star Destroyers for George Lucas' little sci-fi flick - he was in demand back in the day because he wasn't as expensive as some artists.

IIRC, the Galaxy-class is also based on one of his designs; that and the vituperation directed at the Ent-D back in the day leave me confident that everyone talking about how "ugly" the Discovery is will warm up to it over time.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It's not exactly the same ship. Looks like the love child of Voyager, Excelsior, and a giant Starfleet delta.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • specterkevspecterkev Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Looks good to me
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D. I happen to like it. This new (er, old?) ship, looks like a box with things sticking out of it.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Not a fan of the D as well, but this new ship is turning me off already. Such an ugly design.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    The deflector looks like Phase 2, but the ship as a whole looks more like a cross between a Starfleet ship and a Klingon ship.
    Not just the ship, the music too. And you can hear a cloaking device at the end of the teaser.
    This is definitely on purpose. The Discovery could be a joint venture between KDF and Feds. Maybe a symbolic thing to commemorate the fledging alliance after The Undiscovered Country?

2bnb7apx.jpg
    edited July 2016
    I hope its not between Enterpise and TOS, that's too far back in time.
    Registry is NCC-1035 (I think, not positive about that last digit), so it looks to be early in Federation history, previous to the Constitution-class (NCC-1700 - the Enterprise was the second ship in that class to be contracted). And like I said elsewhere, if it has to be a prequel series, at least it's not yet another previously-unknown Enterprise.

Jon's post, supplemental: Consulting the still frame, I see that it's in fact NCC-1031. I was close...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I will say this, Oh Heck NO! This is the worst looking ship I ever saw. I take the KU Connie over this! Of all the ships designs they come up with. This is the worst. Glad I'm not paying $ to see this show on their access.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    sarreous wrote: »
    I never realized there was such dislike for the D.
    scarling wrote: »
    Not a fan of the D as well

9TH49Mz.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    "NCC-1031, so it will play probably between ENT and TOS, pre-kelvin timeline.

Watch the twitter about moar info..."

If it is, then its really not Prime or Kelvin Timeline, it predates the split so it would belong to both equally.

This might be why that time was chosen.

Don't be so sure about that. Remember the U.S.S. Grissom? NCC-638? With that Registry it should be much older than the original Enterprise but it still looks as modern as the 1701 Refit (of course we also have the Pegasus with NCC-53847 .more than 50 thousand ships between these two? seems unlikely, or not?) Registry doesn't always make sense
  • commandersolacecommandersolace Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    It's one of the ugliest ships I have ever seen. Period. I hope this just a mockup..
    Solace.png
    "I'd be delighted to offer advice on women. When I have some I'll let you know..." - Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

9TH49Mz.jpg​​

BAHAHAHAHA
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Did anybody hear "Earth-Romulan War"? Because I think I heard "Earth-Romulan War".​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    That ship looks like a rusty machine part from some unknown steampunk era. Seriously, it's fugly as hell.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Almost looks like a K'tinga hull got squished and they stuck a saucer section on top :( Fugly ship
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Why? Why did they have to make it look so G-D horrendous? All those straight lines and angles are disgusting. There is about 100 STO designs that are leaps and bounds better. They choose the uglist design possible. They kit bashed an enterprise model and a klingon d7 model and thought it was an awesome novel ideal.

I fully expect the storyline on that ship to be a joint venture between starfleet and the klingons. Clearly everyone will identify that hull as klingon inspired.

Did anyone else here the sound effect they played at the very end with the title revealed itself? The sound effect of a ship cloaking?
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

9TH49Mz.jpg​​

An art.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I actually think it looks better than the Constitution.

Edit: But then again, I'm judging that based solely on the fact that it looks far more structurally sound than the Constitution.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I dig the name. Ship looks nice. I am torn between if it's phase 2 inspired or klingon battlecruiser inspired, but I like this design. This ought to be "fascinating."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Interesting design. I'm going to have to let it set for a while. Have to decide if I like it or not.
  • zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    I wouldnt mind so much but The design isnt consistent with starfleet ships. SF ships are usually white, gray or something inbetween and that engineering hull dosent look like anything you would Expect to see on an SF ship.
    343rguu.jpg

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    While the registry number is a good way to determine when the show is set, I still don't think it's a LOCK that it's a prequel.

For all we know, it could be some special dispensation from the SCE to name the ship that...

Devil's advocate, here... :tongue:

Early 23rd-century would be... interesting, though.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It'll grow on you.​​

Dont know why you feel the need to keep saying this. Sure it will grow on some people. And there are other people who will never like it, and that is fine. Its fine not to like how something looks. Dont assume people will change their mind though just beause you may not agree with how they feel.
This discussion has been closed.