What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

7TH ANNUAL PRIDE WEEKEND!

Comments

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    "Straight people don't have straight parties, typically they are just called parties, and anyone is invited, regardless of background or ethical constraint."

Umm apparently you have lived a good life where everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya, but in parts of the world not everyone is so lucky. Prejudice is alive and well, and I'd like to see a lgbt person go to staunch fundie party in dixie without being kicked out or harassed. No, sorry there are people that wish death on all lgbt people, and their parties do not include everyone. But congrats on the great life you live around such great people, must be nice.

I've literally been publicly humiliated and my friend assaulted for being g*a*y* at the "wrong" bar, the wrong party so to speak. Yep, welcome to the US. ( and by wrong, i mean just a regular bar in the middle of a regular town )
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    @originalspock I don't even know where to start. First of all it wasn't the LGBT group who tried to differentiate themselves from the majority all of a sudden, it was the discriminating majority who forced them to organize and fight for their rights. The LGBT didn't create the sexual preference issue, it was the straight majority who "didn't agree" with their "lifestyle" and therefore made this about sexual preference. Just like it was the white majority in the US who made being black an issue, therefore causing this minortiy to organize. And yes the majority - even if most of them accept you as their equal - has to be constantly reminded of the fact that not everybody does. African Americans have the exact same rights as white Americans yet they still have to deal with racism every single day of their life.

Yes parties like these are also being organized to meet people who are like you AND to give self-confidence. And considering the fact that the suicide rate among LGBT people is more than four times as high as among straight people shows that this is indeed necessary. Implying that being a member of the LGBT community is a "choice they made in life" gives me a very good understanding what you actually think about this subject. And no neatly packed half-logic argument can cloud the fact, that homophobia is still an issue.
    Common sense says because individuals all have differing likes and dislikes of races, creeds, faiths, politics and more, it is best not brought up in public venues, as it only serves to enhance our differences, and polarize us from a sociological standpoint.

You got to be kidding me. "Don't talk about discrimination. It will go away by itself." That approach worked very well in the past, didn't it?
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    @originalspock is so perfectly on the money there is little I could add. A Star Trek future depends upon unity not separation and hatred. Like the founding principles of the United States "live and let live" or "agree to dissagree" that's why this country was made and the Federation was of course based on it. That's not to say everyone should be a mindless zombie with no uniqueness but it is to say that our love of ourselves and what makes us different should never supercede our unity as one culture and one nation.
  • Options
    Of course I'm talking about a new level of culture we haven't yet reached, you have to understand the difference. Neither of us implied that bad people should be allowed to continue doing bad things to other people and minorities should just lay down and die. In order for this better culture to function it requires the willing participation of all people.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Of course I'm talking about a new level of culture we haven't yet reached, you have to understand the difference. Neither of us implied that bad people should be allowed to continue doing bad things to other people and minorities should just lay down and die. In order for this better culture to function it requires the willing participation of all people.

From this kneejerk liberal I say we definitely need g.a.y republicans. The more the merrier. I have not attended pride in over a decade myself, though irritated to have missed 10,000 maniacs this year :( at it. And I'm possibly the most boring and conservative behaving person in the world. But I do say that the best way to reach a new level of culture is for it to be in the open with taboo and shock value removed. We also need to see plenty of g.a.y accountants with hornrimmed glasses and football players etc...

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I support ANYBODY who wants to have a PARTY!

LcKrBa8Ki.jpeg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I thought about saying a lot of ignorant people crawled out of subspace but then I remembered its always like this on the forums. So, a party, eh. sex, drugs and rock'n'roll :). Well have fun.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    "Straight people don't have straight parties, typically they are just called parties, and anyone is invited, regardless of background or ethical constraint."

Umm apparently you have lived a good life where everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya, but in parts of the world not everyone is so lucky. Prejudice is alive and well, and I'd like to see a lgbt person go to staunch fundie party in dixie without being kicked out or harassed. No, sorry there are people that wish death on all lgbt people, and their parties do not include everyone. But congrats on the great life you live around such great people, must be nice.

I've literally been publicly humiliated and my friend assaulted for being g*a*y* at the "wrong" bar, the wrong party so to speak. Yep, welcome to the US. ( and by wrong, i mean just a regular bar in the middle of a regular town )

You don't anything about my life, which is why I know you're assuming everything was kumbaya in order to support your argument that prejudice and hate is exclusive to LGBT (In this instance). Prejudice/Hate/Discrimination is alive and well and crosses many boundaries, not just ones of the sexual nature, and it affects all of us, not just one group of people. I am of the opinion that humanity needs help and "parties" as a whole, because tolerance is not learned from being nicer to LGBT or Democrats or Republicans or any random club members it's learned from engaging people on the most basic level. Who are you?, what's your name?, how can I help?, what do you need?, are you ok?, how do you feel? are questions that you should be asking, not are you affiliated? what's your preference? or I'm this, I'm that. "I'd like to see a lgbt person go to a staunch fundie party in dixie", that's not a logical argument, that's like me saying I want to go into a gang/mafia/group-counter to my race/group-counter hangout/club/HQ to my belief system, and come out ok. That doesn't exist. Humanity needs to learn to break from their groups, and come together as a whole, and that neither group of people with any specific trait is more important than the other. This is my argument.
  • Options
    And it's a damned good one ^^
  • Options
    gxv4gxv4 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    datfmirage wrote: »
    akrilon wrote: »
    For this occasion, Stonewall Fleet will be hosting events throughout the weekend. The events are open to the entire Star Trek Online community and we warmly welcome you, your friends and fleet to join us!

Join STOPride! To participate in all the festivities and follow along with the days events, please join the STOPride channel, which will be active on the weekend of the event! Enter '/channel_join STOPride' to join.

Check out the complete weekend schedule at fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride.
    Sounds like great fun, thank you for inviting us!

Is there any location set for the fashion pageant on the 26th? I usually find it fun to see what creative things people come up with, but maybe it's outright impossible to have it in public with the existing population caps.

Hey datfmirage, Yea we will be on Risa for that particular event, on the top level of the promenade that sells the surf boards.
    If you.. or anyone wants to join the dedicated channel (info on the link) updates/times & locations of events will be made on there, we can shoot anyone a team invite if they are having trouble getting in.

You should join in with making a costume for your toon too.. for one category or both
    - Colourful creation : just come up with the most bright and loud costume you can, so jazzy it will make us nauseous lol
    - Sc-fi/Fantasy Character : Dress yourself up as your fav character from a sci-fi or fantasy TV or Movie

after that is a pub quiz on teamspeak, which is a laugh.. we also have a scavenger hunt.. a raffle is actually taking place now to win a T6 jem attack ship, and a few more prizes thanks to some amazing donations from other fleets (SD)
    if you did want to purchase a raffle ticket have a look on our link to see who's giving them out or to join the chat channel.
    fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride

Everyone is welcome to this party, everyone.. everyone who wants to have fun with fellow STO players:smiley:
    We also want to get the biggest Shuttles Vs Carrier PvP runs in STO history, so deck out your shuttles and join in!
    Blue02.png
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    In order for this better culture to function it requires the willing participation of all people.

It really doesn't. We can bypass all the bad elements and hold them up as counterexamples for the rest.

Looking forward to doing just that in two days.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nabreeki wrote: »
    wow, a lot of long-winded posts I'll never read because who cares? No one here is important enough to convince me to read more than two paragraphs of self-righteous babble.

This PRIDE event will be the biggest yet, and I'm excited to be there again this year. Thanks to Stonewall fleet for organizing this much-needed event.

I took time and effort to type out a response, and you call them long winded and self-righteous. When you can't argue the substance you attack the character.

And also... how can you make that claim if " I'll never read because who cares?".
  • Options
    phyloephyloe Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Party on!
  • Options
    I think he means that you only get to read so many words during the course of your life, so make em count.

"But, but but" people trashposting in a thread about the PRIDE event...

Ahh, calling my thought out post trash, and saying it's not worth reading because it's too much of an in-depth response to a claim that nobody seems to be able to defend.
  • Options
    wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Party? Count me in.

Read over the event schedule ... sounds like some fun. I DEFINITELY want to be there for the end of festivities CaH game lol.

In-game for event as Lindsay (my Ferengi is going to take the weekend off for ... obvious reasons o:) )

*Edit* Would be nice if people arguing would take it to PMs instead of muddying up your thread :(
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    In order for this better culture to function it requires the willing participation of all people.
    It really doesn't. We can bypass all the bad elements and hold them up as counterexamples for the rest.

Looking forward to doing just that in two days.
    The problem with that approach is that it is the opposite creating unity, instead it creates strife and division. It might sound nice the way it's phrased there, but in practice, it amounts to nothing more than declaring your point of view to be the only right one and alienating anyone who disagrees.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Since I haven't read the post, I can neither say that it was "well-thought-out" nor "indefensible." I can only take you at your word that it is, and I decline to do so.

Your allegedly well though out post is on a forum about a computer game based on television fiction. What's more: the thread in the forums based on fiction is an invitation to attend a party. That's it.

There's no "deep thought" needed. Go to the party or don't. You don't need to write a thesis on it.

I happen to believe that a person should act mature and civil at all times, even when anonymously online, gaming forum or not. I chose to say what I did because I typically hold Startrek fans with a higher standard then your average game forum. I expected open expansive ideas and discussion that have evolved beyond the base self-serving passive aggressive outmoded thinking. We may not live in a Startrek universe, but we can eventually get there by learning to respect one another.
  • Options
    benirving#4449 benirving Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Since I haven't read the post, I can neither say that it was "well-thought-out" nor "indefensible." I can only take you at your word that it is, and I decline to do so.

Your allegedly well though out post is on a forum about a computer game based on television fiction. What's more: the thread in the forums based on fiction is an invitation to attend a party. That's it.

There's no "deep thought" needed. Go to the party or don't. You don't need to write a thesis on it.

Stop with the back seat modding. If you think someone did something wrong you can report their post. But aside from that there is no place for you telling someone else their post is not "needed". You aren't a moderator, so stop pretending you are.
  • Options
    wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    And still, people arguing in this thread. /sigh

10 years ago, this thread would be full of support, and if anyone had issues with it, they would do the right thing and go to PMs. How I miss those days.

Doesn't matter if it belongs in 10-Forward or not. Just shut the heck up, and take it to PMs. Or enjoy the party, et al. Jesus, it's not rocket science. If you want to get technical, I can give you the formulas for stable orbits, etc. Mods can move threads if they wish (and it seems that things are okey-dokey as they stand). So shut up. Enjoy the party, and be thankful for it.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    null

@sheldonlcooper

Look up Log Cabin Republicans, and you will find what you have asked for.
  • Options
    benirving#4449 benirving Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    My personal preference for avoiding large walls of text on a video game forum is anything but.

If someone isn't breaking the rules, then your personal preference doesn't matter. People don't need your approval to make long posts if they so wish. So yes, stop trying to be a moderator.

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I hope your event is fun and every who attends has a great time!

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    My personal preference for avoiding large walls of text on a video game forum is anything but.

If someone isn't breaking the rules, then your personal preference doesn't matter. People don't need your approval to make long posts if they so wish. So yes, stop trying to be a moderator.

Then you must have skipped through this entire thread of similar posts to hone in on just mine. Also: post on your main :)

you need to DIET!
  • Options
    aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User

+1
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Happy pride, and I hope everyone's having great time :)