70IdmUp.jpg

LOL​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    139745191bc6fe7ade802c0c28586c13.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I just got the Animal Collar with the name Isis on it. This shoulda allowed me to wear the necklace she had in the episode. Another missed opportunity.​​
    signature.png
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Here's map i've made based on some locations i've found plus a few others have posted. Thinks there's 14 on here which means 6 are missing?
    The stars show the rough location of the artifact, as close as I could get on this image.
    y71GZNa.png
    Edit: updated map with 16 points.

I have only been able to verify 15 of the 16 points. On the forth star of the 4 that make almost a straight vertical line from bottom of the image, is the only one I have not been able to verify. Has anyone had to go to that location?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    you mean the west flank of the volcano? yes. several times. It does seem certain points get chosen more often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I just got the Animal Collar with the name Isis on it. This shoulda allowed me to wear the necklace she had in the episode. Another missed opportunity.​​

I've got a studded collar you can wear...
    >:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Also I'm fairly sure there's at least 16 sites, that's based on locations reported from several sources.

Taking two bearing and drawing a line that is equally between the two works every time for narrowing things down right off the bat. Going round all the sites "guessing" based on the hot/cold hints would be highly inefficient.

Good thing that's not what I said to do, then. I said to pick a cardinal direction, starting at Qwen, and follow it pinging for closer/further until it changes to further, eliminating things as you go. I choose to start heading South because there's more island, and more potential sites, that way.
    velqua wrote: »
    Here's map i've made based on some locations i've found plus a few others have posted. Thinks there's 14 on here which means 6 are missing?
    The stars show the rough location of the artifact, as close as I could get on this image.
    y71GZNa.png
    Edit: updated map with 16 points.

I have only been able to verify 15 of the 16 points. On the forth star of the 4 that make almost a straight vertical line from bottom of the image, is the only one I have not been able to verify. Has anyone had to go to that location?

Never once, and I've done the hunt over 500 times now. If it exists, it's rarer than rare. There are 15 sites, as near as I can tell.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    there's two I've maybe seen once... the one just north of the resort, maybe once... maybe. Then there's that far NE one... don't think I've seen that one at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah I've never had that point just north of the resort, so certain ones seem to be rarer than others.
    By comparison I'm always getting points up the west coast.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    there's two I've maybe seen once... the one just north of the resort, maybe once... maybe. Then there's that far NE one... don't think I've seen that one at all.
    Yeah I've never had that point just north of the resort, so certain ones seem to be rarer than others.
    By comparison I'm always getting points up the west coast.

I definitely do get a few more often than the others, but they've all come up at least several times, except for that phantom one on the West side of the volcano.

The marker on that map for the one North and just a little West of the resort is placed too far North, by the way. The actual site is South of the path in the "wedge" of the jungle outlined by the path. I think the one up in the Northwest area that pops up at the foot of the deck chair might be placed a bit South of where it actually is, too, but I would have to double check that one to be certain.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    In my experience, the exact spawn point varies. Apparently you're triggering a unit spawn when you find the object. Which kinda explains how it's randomized.... The units have the same name displayed, but are different entities inside the code. Note how they show up as a green dot on the minimap. But that should be within 2 meters.

The Deck chair I've gotten often and it can be on top of the chair or off to the side.

The screenshot Zed posted of the one north of the resort shows it being in the green area se of the brazier. So it's not in the center of the star but just below it.

Apparently the only pic I made of the west slope(and it IS on the slope) point was made after I collected it. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    you mean the west flank of the volcano? yes. several times. It does seem certain points get chosen more often.

That's the one. I have visited the site, but it didn't seem likely a mound could exist there since the place is steep. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it. I will be post a detailed map as soon as I can visit that spot. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I believe I've gotten an artifact in that spot myself. At least once. Quite a few times by the lighthouse between the promenade and resort, also that little island to the west and the two loungers on the west beach looking out over the race course.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    velqua wrote: »
    That's the one. I have visited the site, but it didn't seem likely a mound could exist there since the place is steep. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it. I will be post a detailed map as soon as I can visit that spot. Thanks. :)
    The exact spot is less steep than most of the mountain side and is in fact walkable. I made a screenshot of the spot as part of my initial mapping, but I made the shot after I grabbed the item.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Well down to two items to go. Deerstalker Cap, and H.M.S. Bounty model kit.​​
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    In my experience, the exact spawn point varies. Apparently you're triggering a unit spawn when you find the object. Which kinda explains how it's randomized.... The units have the same name displayed, but are different entities inside the code. Note how they show up as a green dot on the minimap. But that should be within 2 meters.

The Deck chair I've gotten often and it can be on top of the chair or off to the side.

The screenshot Zed posted of the one north of the resort shows it being in the green area se of the brazier. So it's not in the center of the star but just below it.

Apparently the only pic I made of the west slope(and it IS on the slope) point was made after I collected it. :/

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do vary in exact position by a small margin, though I'd expect that if they were all out at one point, the mounds would all overlap each other at a single site.

The one by the lounge chairs, usually at the foot of the one farthest North, does seem to spawn a bit North of the star on that map for me, but it's close enough that it shouldn't matter. The one just a bit North of the resort building, though, is far enough off on the star map that if you stood right where the star is, the site wouldn't pop up for you, which is why I made that observation. The others are either dead on or so close that they'd trigger at that spot.

Another day, another 34 runs (2x16+2 because I sometimes get trigger-happy and turn one in right away, and not during bonus time) and still no West side of the volcano one. It's going to take a lot to convince me that that one isn't a fuzzy memory after nearly 600 tries and it not coming up even once.
  • Options
    Heh, I made a screencap, but the screencap was of after I'd collected it. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    The tricorder should tell us precisely where the artifact is, not say it is somewhere in front of you and then give zero helpful information. At the very least, we should be told how far ahead of us the artifact is and allow us to use triangulation. As it is, this is the shittiest event that I always skip. The Horta hunt takes almost no time at all and pays way better.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    shahadem wrote: »
    The tricorder should tell us precisely where the artifact is, not say it is somewhere in front of you and then give zero helpful information. At the very least, we should be told how far ahead of us the artifact is and allow us to use triangulation. As it is, this is the shittiest event that I always skip. The Horta hunt takes almost no time at all and pays way better.
    I think it's the most interesting Risa event yet and the only one other than the ship run that I still do. It actually requires a minor amount of thought instead of mindless hoop-jumping. Only problem is the horrible graphical implementation of the scanner, which requires staring at the ground all the time, disappears too quickly and is easily obscured by the underbrush when used in the jungle.
  • Options
    Sometimes, just the "Closer" "Farther" clues work better than the scanner.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    shahadem wrote: »
    I think it's the most interesting Risa event yet and the only one other than the ship run that I still do. It actually requires a minor amount of thought instead of mindless hoop-jumping. Only problem is the horrible graphical implementation of the scanner, which requires staring at the ground all the time, disappears too quickly and is easily obscured by the underbrush when used in the jungle.

What exactly is interesting about it? You get basically no useful information from using the scanner so you are almost always in the dark. The best way to do the event involves using out of character meta information based on knowing where the 15 spawns are and you have to use that out of game metainformation because the actual event gives you buggerall for useful information.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Umm you do realise that the game gives you plenty of info, it's just that you actually have to think for once rather than just get spoon fed all the info straight away.
    I mean holy hell can people not just accept that it's nice to have a part of the game where it's not just mindless mashing of buttons and actual thought is required.

I find it refreshing and so do a lot of people, hopefully they'll use the mechanic elsewhere again. It just needs a little tweak for the time the lines are displayed.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it's actually a little puzzle game that requires a few more brain cells than normal. I know how it feels to be looking for a site and think I'm close when I'm not, but more often than not I've been finding them within a minute or three of the event starting. That I used a map of known locations (like most others, I'd bet) is irrelevant. There is only one of the sixteen spots that is active for you in any one game.

It isn't anything I wouldn't have figured out for myself (the sixteen locations), it just would have taken a lot longer. Though some sites seem to be more used than others. Whatever. It's interesting to see how soon I can find them now. And actually, I rarely consult the map someone generously provided for others to use. I also used one to find some of the more hard to find lookout birds too, back when I was looking for the Ornithologist title.

If it's that frustrating, don't play it anymore. I thought I wasn't going to myself, until I picked up a few tips from some of the ones who persevered and figured things out.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    I still have yet to get a dig on the side of the volcano, and I am running 3-4 characters during the event time. It's actually driving me insane that I can't get it at least once. I have already visited every other spot multiple times. There should be a special reward if you visit this one. lol
  • Options
    yeah, I've never seen the one on the NE sandbar myself. :/ The nearby point that's closer to shore I see often, but not that one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I am starting to wonder if it has to do with the starting location of the first initial scan. Where I scan, I tend to get spots near the area most of the time. I may have to try a different location just to see how it works out.
  • Options
    The NE sandbar? The pile of sand in the water? I've been there multiple times.
    Now a LTS and loving it.