test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek show based in STO time period?

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Can always count on him to call on mommy or daddy.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Ah, come on. Doesn't EVERYBODY know by now you can indulge in the most ridiculous posting shenanigans as long as you start after 8PM on Friday? Cryptic has proven time and again the Moderation desk is EMPTY over the weekends.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    I like how when "STO" and "TV show" are in the same sentence, people tend to lose their minds... :D
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    Ah, come on. Doesn't EVERYBODY know by now you can indulge in the most ridiculous posting shenanigans as long as you start after 8PM on Friday? Cryptic has proven time and again the Moderation desk is EMPTY over the weekends.

Yeah, the weekends can at times, tend to be somewhat of a 'free-for-all' around here.
    Though both Jodarkrider and Trendy have been known to pop in on occasion to render the worse shenanigans into oblivion.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    Oh, lets be honest, that last... incident... was them being dragged in on the weekned by MMO news sites starting to report on a monstrous bleed-out of their future announcement 'thunder'. All because someone at Cryptic's end is epic failsauce at version control. Merging that content into the test server code line this far out was idiocy. They know people scrape the archives. They might as well have used a bull horn the way they were broadcasting it.

That one cost them money.

Nobody's getting out of bed for this kerfuffle ;).
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    unless the CBS changes the ridiculous plan to force you to pay for there premium services to watch the show it wont last...
  • Options
    I doubt that having to pay for their service will be as detrimental as some would like to believe.
    There are probably plenty of Trek Fans out there, that are willing to fork out a few bucks to watch a new show.
    Plus, CBS' premium service includes many, many other shows that will interest people as well.

I'm not going to be one of them, but that's a different conversation for another place.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    kelshando wrote: »
    unless the CBS changes the ridiculous plan to force you to pay for there premium services to watch the show it wont last...

considering withing a few months of announcing the situation they had enough new subscribers to pay for 1/2 the production costs of the new series... I think your dinosaur reasoning is flawed.

I hate it too, and have no intention of paying for TV, but this is the internet age, which means a 24-48hr wait to see it elsewhere
  • Options
    considering withing a few months of announcing the situation they had enough new subscribers to pay for 1/2 the production costs of the new series... I think your dinosaur reasoning is flawed.

I hate it too, and have no intention of paying for TV, but this is the internet age, which means a 24-48hr wait to see it elsewhere

And THAT right there is the SINGLE biggest threat to it getting a second season: fans so "loyal" they'd rather just steal it.

• Options
    And THAT right there is the SINGLE biggest threat to it getting a second season: fans so "loyal" they'd rather just steal it.
    Sorry, one tv show a week aint worth the money to me for CBS All Access since I will not use it for anything else. I want to see a new Trek series but the cost:value ratio is not in its favor. Considering it would be about the ONLY current TV show I'd actually follow weekly, I'm not the one they're marketing for.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Can always count on him to call on mommy or daddy.

nice bait, moving on.

thats a double edged sword; on one side CBS has enough to warrant the series to star trek and on the other hand if the new show fails to meet expectations like for example enterprise did, it will sink without a trace and subscribers will begin to wonder if they are paying for the right service and waste so much money on a dud.

if CBS wants to keep their expensive service then they need to make sure the quality of the new shows remain top notch in order to entice more people to pay the costs.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    Oh there's plenty of ways to justify torrenting it. You just have to wonder how enthusiastic creators (and their bean counters) will stay when they realize a huge part of their audience is excited enough to spend the time to watch it, but the moment they'd like to be paid for their efforts, *^&$@ that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Oh there's plenty of ways to justify torrenting it. You just have to wonder how enthusiastic creators (and their bean counters) will stay when they realize a huge part of their audience is excited enough to spend the time to watch it, but the moment they'd like to be paid for their efforts, *^&$@ that.

Then alter the cost:value ratio. If I feel the cost to watch Star Trek is worth the expense I would happily sign up. But since I don't watch TV much, usually only during meals, and I don't care much whats on, the cost for the service is hugely out of whack for the value, to me.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    The rest of the world is not getting the new Star Trek through CBS All-Access. We're probably getting on regular TV.

And CBS have said it is only first-run episodes that will be on All-Access
    http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-teaser-trailer-for-new-star-trek-series
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    dmt wrote: »
    The rest of the world is not getting the new Star Trek through CBS All-Access. We're probably getting on regular TV.

And CBS have said it is only first-run episodes that will be on All-Access
    http://www.startrek.com/article/watch-teaser-trailer-for-new-star-trek-series

CBS international will distribute the new series across the world, no doubt months after its viewing in the US/Canada

which leads to piracy, since the new series will air the first few episodes behind that pay wall CBS wants people to pay into, the chances are that it will likely be on pirating sites within hours of its release from off CBS all access. thats the fact of the matter, the exclusivity wont make one bit of difference come 2017.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

Oh please prove that..... because I'm calling BS!!

The show isn't even close to being on and your saying that all these people only signed for a show that's not even there months if not a year in advance... BS BS BS!!!
  • Options

Pretty much this.. I'm not paying for 1 channel worth of content for almost the same as Hulu Plus with 50+ channels and movies or even Netflix.... if they block US consumers while allowing other areas of the world to get it for free.. well ill just out right boycott anything on CBS.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    CBS knows 1 hit series sells a whole channel. Just look at Game of thrones. It's like HBO hit a raw nerv. And now every company is after that nerv...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Enterprise dident fail it was axed due to networks merging. The new series is a big deal for all trekkies so i doubt it will get 1 season
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »
    Enterprise dident fail it was axed due to networks merging. The new series is a big deal for all trekkies so i doubt it will get 1 season

It was cancelled for extremely low ratings.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That was part of it, it was also said that ENTERPRISE didn't fit into the UPN's new programing direction at that time.
    They were supposedly going for a more young woman demographic.
    And UPN didn't merge with The WB until almost a year after ENTERPRISE was cancelled.
    B)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Oh please prove that..... because I'm calling BS!!

The show isn't even close to being on and your saying that all these people only signed for a show that's not even there months if not a year in advance... BS BS BS!!!

Google it yourself, it was stated by them a while ago. Call BS all you want but I'm not your personal search engine, do it yourself. Took me all of a minute to re-find the quote.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    So, there was a rumor that the new Star Trek Series on CBS was based before TNG and after Undiscovered country.

I highly doubt that this rumor is true as making a prequel severely limits your ability to get creative.

Then the teaser released and the whole thing just screams Star Trek Online.

Since the CBS logo is on my Star Trek Online box, im gonna assume they have some sort of rights to it and can use events and plot from the game in the show.

I don't expect they will completely copy the show, that would be dumb, but it would be a fascinating time period to do a show on, while going backward to before TNG would be stale and old. Thoughts?

A space amoeba is a space amoeba, no matter the era... Except the STO era would have technology that could combat it easily.

Personally I'd say a TOS-movie era would be better off. Humanity wasn't written as perfect (better, but not perfect) and the technology wasn't too magical and wasn't used to solve almost all the problems.

As for the TOS era being stale and old... There's only 3 seasons and 6 movies of it. Of all the shows (including Enterprise), we know the least about that time period.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I think it would actually be in CBS' best interests to base the new series after STO. The ships are already created, the different story lines that they could follow are there, and not only that, they could build on top of.

I'm not saying they will take everything from STO and make it into the new TV show, but they could make it during this time period. Just after some peace is found, we're getting things settled down and we're back to exploring places. They could reference events that occurred during STO and go "oh yeah, during 2410-2416" these events occurred, but they'll be building their own stuff and STO gets to piggy back off of that to create its own stuff.

Stuff like that.
  • Options
    daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    STO has a decent story (well, some parts are decent) but then again a Star Trek series based on STO would be hard to pull off, as the story in STO pretty much stars thousands of different ships because it is an MMO-RPG.

Also, I heard it was going to be something to do with Worf and his adventures after Nemesis or something.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    correction - thousands of different ships ply the story because it's an MMORPG; the story itself features ONE ship, ONE captain - the player

all those other players you see - alternate realities​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    correction - thousands of different ships ply the story because it's an MMORPG; the story itself features ONE ship, ONE captain - the player

all those other players you see - alternate realities​​

its amazing how often this fact is lost on players
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    to the two severely misinformed people who like to claim the Hobus supernova is canon. You are plum wrong. @gradii didnt even bother citing a rationale.

the JJ trek event, which was the hobus supernova is used to explain the divergence of the universes and the birth of the hellish JJ universe.

Events in the prime universe are used to determine the beginning of the adventure in the hellish alternate JJverse. this makes the hobus supernova canon.

Ignoring that is your prerogative.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Yep that's the hard part. To accept that JJ Trek is canon while STO is not. Of course JJ trek is conveniently tucked away as an alternate timeline lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Just so we're crystal clear ... Hobus blows up IN the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. It is canon. It meets all of the guidelines and requirements for canon. And it was something that JJ Abrams and his team filmed and made happen.

Enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]