test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek show based in STO time period?

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    of course, it isn't called hobus in 2009...and it in fact looks more like romulus' primary that went supernova instead of a star a hundred LY away​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    to the two severely misinformed people who like to claim the Hobus supernova is canon. You are plum wrong. @gradii didnt even bother citing a rationale.

the JJ trek event, which was the hobus supernova is used to explain the divergence of the universes and the birth of the hellish JJ universe.

Events in the prime universe are used to determine the beginning of the adventure in the hellish alternate JJverse. this makes the hobus supernova canon.

Ignoring that is your prerogative.

But whether the supernova happened in the Prime Universe or a parallel universe depends on the creators of the next Star Trek series that occurs after Nemesis. Those minutes in Star Trek 2009 could have happened in the STO universe for all we know. It has already been established in STO's lore that the Jellyfish was created and Spock and Nero disappeared after the destruction of Romulus. So STO's Spock either disappeared to the JJ Universe, another reality that we have no knowledge of, or died.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Then I guess for STF's five to twenty alternate realities merge into one.

You probably think that...
    I'll bet you think that...
    Don't you?
    Don't you?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    no, those are just named AI with variable levels of suckiness/not-suckiness​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    kelshando wrote: »
    unless the CBS changes the ridiculous plan to force you to pay for there premium services to watch the show it wont last...

considering withing a few months of announcing the situation they had enough new subscribers to pay for 1/2 the production costs of the new series... I think your dinosaur reasoning is flawed.

I hate it too, and have no intention of paying for TV, but this is the internet age, which means a 24-48hr wait to see it elsewhere
    You're confusing the quote...

Moonface the CEO said, that they had enough pre-orders from outside the USA at that time, that it would cover half of the production costs.

In other words, when they started making the show available to overseas markets, it was snatched up like a pile of peanuts sitting in front of a starving elephant.

They haven't actually made public any data on how many new subscribers they have acquired here in the USA on their service since the Trek-2017 announcement.
    B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    unless the CBS changes the ridiculous plan to force you to pay for there premium services to watch the show it wont last...

considering withing a few months of announcing the situation they had enough new subscribers to pay for 1/2 the production costs of the new series... I think your dinosaur reasoning is flawed.

I hate it too, and have no intention of paying for TV, but this is the internet age, which means a 24-48hr wait to see it elsewhere

Oh please prove that..... because I'm calling BS!!

The show isn't even close to being on and your saying that all these people only signed for a show that's not even there months if not a year in advance... BS BS BS!!!

Google it yourself, it was stated by them a while ago. Call BS all you want but I'm not your personal search engine, do it yourself. Took me all of a minute to re-find the quote.

I guess you looked it up and couldn't find it lol
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Just so we're crystal clear ... Hobus blows up IN the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. It is canon. It meets all of the guidelines and requirements for canon. And it was something that JJ Abrams and his team filmed and made happen.

Enjoy.

the fact it was blown up in the prime timeline is enough to prove that it is canon.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    the fact it was blown up in the prime timeline is enough to prove that it is canon.

The fact that it was blown up in a Star Trek movie is enough proof.

Seriously, people simply do not grasp what "canon" means. It has nothing to do with "prime" or "alterante", only if it appears on a big or small screen in the Star Trek continuity published by CBS and/or Paramount.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Seriously, people simply do not grasp what "canon" means. It has nothing to do with "prime" or "alterante", only if it appears on a big or small screen in the Star Trek continuity published by CBS and/or Paramount.​​

and i dont get why some people have to argue about when hard canon is fact until cbs or paramount decides to change it. quit while you are behind.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    what is your problem with "canon or not canon"? no! really i don't understand. each time, the discussions turn into a war again the pro-canon and con-canon.

I personally want a new star trek: star trek reloaded (or something like that); without all these old stuff. a new future for the franchise.

“Change is the essential process of all existence.” – Spock
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    what is your problem with "canon or not canon"? no! really i don't understand. each time, the discussions turn into a war again the pro-canon and con-canon.

I personally want a new star trek: star trek reloaded (or something like that); without all these old stuff. a new future for the franchise.

“Change is the essential process of all existence.” – Spock

That's what you get. The 2009 movie series and the new show, if based on these works, has no obligation to follow the continuity set up to this point, that's the whole reason they chose the alternate reality. This has nothing to with canon or non-canon, there's not even a debate.

The reason I bring it up is people use the term "canon" in almost any conceivable way BUT what it actually means. I'd be a happier Targ if we could just write down somewhere that cannon and canon are two different things entirely and that canon has no more meaning than "continuity up to this point" and not that anything is good or bad or is set in a specific reality/universe or whatever.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2016

That's where I was going with this. It happened onscreen. It's canon. This particular mutation of the Abrams debate kind of fascinates and frustrates me at the same time. Because this whole thing about "prime" universe justifying it as being realer than everything else doesn't change the fact that everything that happened was still in that same movie, that same Abrams made movie.

It happened in the movie. That makes it canon. And its canon that comes from Abrams and his creative team. It's just weird to see discussions start to drip into prime universe versus alternate universe when all of that prime universe "stuff" happens in the exact same movie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

That's where I was going with this. It happened onscreen. It's canon. This particular mutation of the Abrams debate kind of fascinates and frustrates me at the same time. Because this whole thing about "prime" universe justifying it as being realer than everything else doesn't change the fact that everything that happened was still in that same movie, that same Abrams made movie.

It happened in the movie. That makes it canon. And its canon that comes from Abrams and his creative team. It's just weird to see discussions start to drip into prime universe versus alternate universe when all of that prime universe "stuff" happens in the exact same movie.

This^

And the fact that StarTrek.com.. a CBS owned site states that Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    Here is my take, after the pilot, you will be required to pay a subscription to see the
    rest of the show.
    So...

I will not watch it. no single TV show is worth a subscription.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    fatherrock wrote: »
    Here is my take, after the pilot, you will be required to pay a subscription to see the
    rest of the show.
    So...

So none of it will be "canon" for you, except perhaps the first episode?
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    fatherrock wrote: »
    rest of the show.
    So...

I cut cable awhile back. I already pay for multiple subscriptions to get the viewing I like ala carte (it's really the wave of the future). And it's cheaper than what I would pay for the same shows on any of the major cable plans (has to do with me wanting specific access to NBA, BPL sporting events AND HBO programming). So the CBS thing fits into my current and future TV viewing model. AND it has Star Trek!

Sold!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I guess you looked it up and couldn't find it lol
    apparently reading comprehension isn't your forte, I found it, as I said, in about a minute. Took 2 whole tries on google for proper search words.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    But you misquoted it, as I said above.
    B)
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

No, I read the quote on three different sites and none of them had the information you claim, so either we're using different source quotes, or several someone's are guilty of very very very bad internet-journalism. Sadly the latter is more likely
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    B)

No, I read the quote on three different sites and none of them had the information you claim, so either we're using different source quotes, or several someone's are guilty of very very very bad internet-journalism. Sadly the latter is more likely

Really...??
    I found the original quote in about 10 seconds...
    (from a March 8th, article)

"...We announced Star Trek, and internationally, we basically have covered 60% of the cost of the show already. To make up that [other] 40%, it’s not going to take a whole lot of subscriptions, and it says to the world that we are very serious about this...."

From this article at TrekMovie.com...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/08/ceo-les-moonves-says-cbs-must-wait-six-months-after-beyond-launch-before-trek-can-come-back-to-tv/

B)
  • Options
    B)

Really...??

"...We announced Star Trek, and internationally, we basically have covered 60% of the cost of the show already. To make up that [other] 40%, it’s not going to take a whole lot of subscriptions, and it says to the world that we are very serious about this...."

http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/08/ceo-les-moonves-says-cbs-must-wait-six-months-after-beyond-launch-before-trek-can-come-back-to-tv/

B)

ahh so we're both interpreting the statement very differently then. Because I don't see that as excluding new "all access" membership purchases within the U.S. market in addition to their international means of distribution
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    i just hope they use designs from STO if they do that timeline. like ships, uniforms, weapons, enemies...

or at least a very good approximation of it :P
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    B)

Really...??

B)

ahh so we're both interpreting the statement very differently then. Because I don't see that as excluding new "all access" membership purchases within the U.S. market in addition to their international means of distribution

He says "INTERNATIONAL SALES" had aready covered 60% of the cost of the show.
    Then goes on to say that it's not going to take a whole lot of CBS All-Access Subscriptions, to cover the remaining 40%.

No where in that article does he say that "Subscriptions" have increased already, due to the Trek-2017 announcement.

You're reading more into what was said, than is there.
    B)
  • Options
    B)

Really...??

B)

He says "INTERNATIONAL SALES" had aready covered 60% of the cost of the show.
    Then goes on to say that it's not going to take a whole lot of CBS All-Access Subscriptions, to cover the remaining 40%.

No where in that article does he say that "Subscriptions" have increased already, due to the Trek-2017 announcement.

You're reading more into what was said, than is there.
    B)

no, I just dont think that the 'international sales" excludes sales domestically. I think its a lump sum of all sales, which would be referred to as international, since USA is one among many.
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    I read in some blog that it's not going to be set on an Enterprise. Does that have any merit to it, or just rumorville?
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The Anthology premise is by TV Season not individual episodes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    If new series sux with STO we should be able to make own trek serie Machinima style
    then we can make what ever period with any captain what so ever.... cough
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    B)

Really...??

B)

Dude are you dense... they didn't get 60% of the money from CBS all access... what he said was that they already had 60% of funding already and that the other 40% would come from subs from CBS all access.....
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Highly unlikely, I think. The rumors I've heard are that it'll either be between the TOS Movies and TNG at first or it'll be in the JJverse. But those are just rumors.