test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek show based in STO time period?

Comments

• Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    captsol wrote: »
    Highly unlikely, I think. The rumors I've heard are that it'll either be between the TOS Movies and TNG at first or it'll be in the JJverse. But those are just rumors.

Confirmed it isn't in JJ Verse
  • Options
    Completely forgot that Michael Dorn wanted to do a new star trek, and was talking with CBS only a year or so ago.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    It is my sincere hope that the series is an anthology series which visits many ships, stations, and outposts in the Federation while showing us many races and cultures along the way. I have never liked the 'Hill Street Blues' approach to storytelling that almost every TV Drama has taken. The 'episodic' format leaves much more room for exploration, and if you have to work, have family obligations, or just meet a sweetie and forget what time it happens to be and miss an episode, you aren't lost when you do get a chance to tune in again..
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Highly unlikely, I think. The rumors I've heard are that it'll either be between the TOS Movies and TNG at first or it'll be in the JJverse. But those are just rumors.

Did they? When was that? I must've missed it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Birth, Movies Death floated it out and a lot of other articles are sourcing that. But the "confirmation" is essentially a discussion of the other prevalent rumor that the Fuller series will be set post Undiscovered Country, looks to have Klingon villains again and ... this is the important part in terms of the rumors ... will be done as an anthology type series ala True Detective, changing casts and potentially time periods each subsequent season (which means a season MAY be set in the past and in the JJ Abrams alternate timeline since it's Trek).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Birth, Movies Death floated it out and a lot of other articles are sourcing that. But the "confirmation" is essentially a discussion of the other prevalent rumor that the Fuller series will be set post Undiscovered Country, looks to have Klingon villains again and ... this is the important part in terms of the rumors ... will be done as an anthology type series ala True Detective, changing casts and potentially time periods each subsequent season (which means a season MAY be set in the past and in the JJ Abrams alternate timeline since it's Trek).

Hrm. Sounds...interesting. Not sure how well that will work in practice but more Trek is more Trek as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    klingon villains are to be expected...very few would want to be making nice with the federation even after the signing of the khitomer accords - at least until the romulans attack narendra 3 and the enterprise shows up to aid the klingons​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    brian334 wrote: »
    It is my sincere hope that the series is an anthology series which visits many ships, stations, and outposts in the Federation while showing us many races and cultures along the way. I have never liked the 'Hill Street Blues' approach to storytelling that almost every TV Drama has taken. The 'episodic' format leaves much more room for exploration, and if you have to work, have family obligations, or just meet a sweetie and forget what time it happens to be and miss an episode, you aren't lost when you do get a chance to tune in again..

See I would like to see those things but Im also hoping they take the chance and throw in a season where we're on a Romulan ship and one for a Klingon one, maybe a smattering of other races taking the center stage from time to time. Show how THEY handle X or Y and perceive the Federation.
  • Options
    an entire season? not likely...you'd be far more likely to get a single episode from a mainly alien PoV like A Matter of Honor, Face of the Enemy and Return to Grace were​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    an entire season? not likely...you'd be far more likely to get a single episode from a mainly alien PoV like A Matter of Honor, Face of the Enemy and Return to Grace were​​

well "seasons" these days are so abysmally short I think it's a possibility. But even if they were just a 2-4part mini episode chain, itd be frakkin awesome and a really awesome step imo
  • Options
    most modern show's seasons average around 18 episodes...i'd hardly call that 'abysmally short'​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    most modern show's seasons average around 18 episodes...i'd hardly call that 'abysmally short'​​

compared to the 26-30 they used to be? Yeah abysmally short, especially when combined with the fact that hour long episodes of a show USED to be 55min, but are now closer to 43.
  • Options
    i've seen a fair few old shows, chief among them being things like gilligan's island, golden girls, hogan's heroes, macgyver, married with children, M*A*S*H and the original hanna barbra version of scooby-doo...of them, gilligan's island and hogan's heroes are the only ones that actually went above 26 eps/season

the whole 45 minute thing might be new, but seasons having anywhere from 18-24 episodes on average? that's nowhere NEAR a new thing​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    i've seen a fair few old shows, chief among them being things like gilligan's island, golden girls, hogan's heroes, macgyver, married with children, M*A*S*H and the original hanna barbra version of scooby-doo...of them, gilligan's island and hogan's heroes are the only ones that actually went above 26 eps/season

the whole 45 minute thing might be new, but seasons having anywhere from 18-24 episodes on average? that's nowhere NEAR a new thing​​

a quick google search shows 30ep listed in s1 TOS Trek, but the point was we're loosing shows per season steadily, and we're loosing time per show steadily.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

a quick google search shows 30ep listed in s1 TOS Trek, but the point was we're loosing shows per season steadily, and we're loosing time per show steadily.

Umm no, did you not just catch that shows like MacGiver, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard etc had 22-24 episodes a season. Not steadily losing anything. Been like that for over 30 years.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

If they're using the newer model, ala Netflix and HBO shows like Jessica Jones and True Detective, it could end up being something like 13 episodes.

Which I'm fine with. The shift in television programming that this show could be and could do, ends up tapping into something I believe is healthy for Star Trek (and resonates with a lot of fans who still point to the last season of DS9 as one of the best Trek driven things ever) ... and that's a longer narrative.

A 24 episode season like in the olden days had a lot of timing issues and fractured any attempt to do an ongoing metaplot. Granted they didn't do that back then. But if they had tried to have an overall metaplot, ala X-Files, it would have created a lot of headaches. Many episodes in TNG for instance, were swapped in the order for all sorts of reasons. TOS aired episodes not in the order they were filmed. It's just basic television programming stuff.

But these days? A tight, overall, driving 13 episode narrative that because it's only one season obligation (and thus ends up being more like an extended movie) can attract top level film talent for the cast?

I'm very much on board for CBS to try to follow the True Detective model. I think it can open a type of Star Trek experience that blows us all away in terms of storytelling and quality and really let the show go in amazing directions!

But seriously? At the end of the day ... GUYS, GALS and ALIENS WHO FREQUENT THIS FORUM ... WE'RE GETTING A NEW STAR TREK SHOW! HELLZ YEAH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »

Umm no, did you not just catch that shows like MacGiver, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard etc had 22-24 episodes a season. Not steadily losing anything. Been like that for over 30 years.

psst... those arent new shows... and compare those 22-24 to some of the newer series out there from 2015/2016... we ARE loosing episodes per season.
  • Options

Did they? When was that? I must've missed it.

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/new-star-trek-series-movies/
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    But you misquoted it, as I said above.
    B)

No, I read the quote on three different sites and none of them had the information you claim, so either we're using different source quotes, or several someone's are guilty of very very very bad internet-journalism. Sadly the latter is more likely

Really...??
    I found the original quote in about 10 seconds...
    (from a March 8th, article)

"...We announced Star Trek, and internationally, we basically have covered 60% of the cost of the show already. To make up that [other] 40%, it’s not going to take a whole lot of subscriptions, and it says to the world that we are very serious about this...."

From this article at TrekMovie.com...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/08/ceo-les-moonves-says-cbs-must-wait-six-months-after-beyond-launch-before-trek-can-come-back-to-tv/

B)

ahh so we're both interpreting the statement very differently then. Because I don't see that as excluding new "all access" membership purchases within the U.S. market in addition to their international means of distribution

He says "INTERNATIONAL SALES" had aready covered 60% of the cost of the show.
    Then goes on to say that it's not going to take a whole lot of CBS All-Access Subscriptions, to cover the remaining 40%.

No where in that article does he say that "Subscriptions" have increased already, due to the Trek-2017 announcement.

You're reading more into what was said, than is there.
    B)

no, I just dont think that the 'international sales" excludes sales domestically. I think its a lump sum of all sales, which would be referred to as international, since USA is one among many.

INTERNATIONAL means OUTSIDE OF THE USA.
    There won't be any DOMESTIC SALES, since they are going to show it on their Own Service.
    (Domestic sales would be to local TV stations like Syndication is)

It will be SUBSCRIPTION SALES here in the USA and the only thing he said about that, was that it won't take many of those to recoup the leftover 40% of the costs.

I'm going to assume that English is not your first language, as I really did spell it out pretty plainly for you in my first post.
    B)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    in·ter·na·tion·al
    [ˌin(t)ərˈnaSH(ə)n(ə)l]
    ADJECTIVE

existing, occurring, or carried on between two or more nations:
    "international trade"

which can, in fact, include the country of origin for which the object in question (in this case, CBS AA subs) originated

so no, it does NOT mean 'outside the USA'​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    kelshando wrote: »
    But you misquoted it, as I said above.
    B)

No, I read the quote on three different sites and none of them had the information you claim, so either we're using different source quotes, or several someone's are guilty of very very very bad internet-journalism. Sadly the latter is more likely

Really...??
    I found the original quote in about 10 seconds...
    (from a March 8th, article)

"...We announced Star Trek, and internationally, we basically have covered 60% of the cost of the show already. To make up that [other] 40%, it’s not going to take a whole lot of subscriptions, and it says to the world that we are very serious about this...."

From this article at TrekMovie.com...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/08/ceo-les-moonves-says-cbs-must-wait-six-months-after-beyond-launch-before-trek-can-come-back-to-tv/

B)

Dude are you dense... they didn't get 60% of the money from CBS all access... what he said was that they already had 60% of funding already and that the other 40% would come from subs from CBS all access.....

I'm going to assume that you meant to quote @kodachikuno and not me.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    in·ter·na·tion·al
    [ˌin(t)ərˈnaSH(ə)n(ə)l]
    ADJECTIVE

existing, occurring, or carried on between two or more nations:
    "international trade"

which can, in fact, include the country of origin for which the object in question (in this case, CBS AA subs) originated

so no, it does NOT mean 'outside the USA'​​

But Moonface was specifically speaking of OVERSEAS SALES, not Domestic sales.
    Why in hell do you think they would be selling it to themselves????

Again, there will not be any domestic sales as they are showing it on their own service.

It will be SUBSCRIPTION SALES.
    smh

When TV executives talk about International sales, they are almost always referring to sales outside of the United States.

When they talk about sales here in the USA, they refer to them as Domestic Sales.

That's just the way it is guys.
    B)
  • Options
    try to keep up, moron,,,I AM TALKING ABOUT SUBSCRIPTIONS​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited June 2016
    try to keep up, moron,,,I AM TALKING ABOUT SUBSCRIPTIONS​​

Then you are completely off track... and it's not necessary to be insulting.
    Especially when you aren't with the program.

The CEO said that they have covered 60% of the cost of the show with International Sales... Those ARE NOT Subscriptions.

They are sales to overseas Television Studios, that will pay to run the show on their airwaves. (like Syndication here in the USA)

He also said that the left over 40% of the costs will be covered by Subscriptions here in the USA on their All Access Service.

Do you get it now?

kodachikuno was indicating that he felt that Moonface was saying that the 60% came from both sales OUT of the USA and sales IN the USA, which is simply not the case.
    B)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    most modern show's seasons average around 18 episodes...i'd hardly call that 'abysmally short'

compared to the 26-30 they used to be? Yeah abysmally short, especially when combined with the fact that hour long episodes of a show USED to be 55min, but are now closer to 43.

Consider yourself lucky it's not an English length series of four to six episodes.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    funny, i don't remember dr. who only being six episodes long...​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

Yeah... that article draws some interesting conclusion from things that were never said... along with coming out long before the TV teaser that goes out of its way to ape the style of the Star Trek 2009 credits.

I put the odds about 60/40 it WILL be set in the AR (and about another 15% beyond that the first season will be written in a way that neither confirms nor denies which timeline it belongs to...) but at this point the contents of that little Schrödinger's box is far from certain.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    funny, i don't remember dr. who only being six episodes long...​​
    There are more series then Doctor Who from the UK...

Look at something like Luther or Black Mirror. Or Sherlock.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    why would i look at something i've never heard of?​​

#LegalizeAwoo