test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek show based in STO time period?

So, there was a rumor that the new Star Trek Series on CBS was based before TNG and after Undiscovered country.

I highly doubt that this rumor is true as making a prequel severely limits your ability to get creative.

Then the teaser released and the whole thing just screams Star Trek Online.

Since the CBS logo is on my Star Trek Online box, im gonna assume they have some sort of rights to it and can use events and plot from the game in the show.

I don't expect they will completely copy the show, that would be dumb, but it would be a fascinating time period to do a show on, while going backward to before TNG would be stale and old. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    I expect to hear tales of how the crew of the new ship have to grind and kill their way across the galaxy if it's based on STO.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Lol, all jokes aside, I'd love to see the new Enterprise F on missions. Doing some exploring. Move into the Iconian event, and War. Very dynamic time, and that would make for some great TV
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I hope it def is set after Voyager and moves the timeline and story forward and not a prequel. We don't want another Enterprise incident :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As2Vd_mYnAk
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Please no, leave the online out of my star trek.

Theyre speculating that it could be an anthology where you see different time periods and crews with different stories. I dont think i like that idea.

Just set it in "present day" star trek like 15 years after Voyager gets back home and Nemesis and ill be happy.
  • Options
    After Nemesis. Either during, or after the destruction of Romulus.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Thoughts? I think this belongs in ten forward, probably in the thread discussing the new series
  • Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I thought it was official that the show was going to be an anthology, like American Horror Story. Each season a new ship and crew in a different time period. The first season would take place as the OP said, between TNG and The Undiscovered Country. It is my sincere desire to see a Mirror Universe season, maybe the exploits of Empress Hoshi.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    tiekosora wrote: »
    I thought it was official that the show was going to be an anthology, like American Horror Story. Each season a new ship and crew in a different time period. The first season would take place as the OP said, between TNG and The Undiscovered Country. It is my sincere desire to see a Mirror Universe season, maybe the exploits of Empress Hoshi.

There's nothing official of any kind yet, it's all rumors and speculation
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I guess i need to start watching American Horror Story, is it on Netflix?

To the OP, there is nothing in regular canon that Romulus was destroyed, I.E. so it wasnt destroyed. They dont have to honor that. It be nice if they didnt. There was a feeling at the end of Nemesis that there was a prospect of peace and diplomacy between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire, it was also seeded in DS9 with the alliance. I would like to see that.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The hobus supernova is canon.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

To the OP, there is nothing in regular canon that Romulus was destroyed, I.E. so it wasnt destroyed. They dont have to honor that. It be nice if they didnt. There was a feeling at the end of Nemesis that there was a prospect of peace and diplomacy between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire, it was also seeded in DS9 with the alliance. I would like to see that.

American Horror Story IS good, but the only thing it could -potentially- share with the new Trek series is each season having all different characters (potentially played by recurring actors), with the possible inclusion of very minor links to previous seasons. But again, we have no official word, the anthology thing is just the most frequently mentioned rumor.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind seeing a series variation based off STO. I'm sure it will be far better than JJ's Spoof Trek.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    In what universe do you think the writers want to be beholden to STO's LCD writing?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    nikeix wrote: »
    In what universe do you think the writers want to be beholden to STO's utterly horrid LCD writing?

fixed that up a bit
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If the next Star Trek series is set after Nemesis, then it will be set in the Prime Universe while STO is set in its own universe. So nothing that happened in STO will affect the new series. Whether Romulus is destroyed is up to the creators of that show. All they have to say is that the first few minutes of Star Trek 2009 happened in another reality and Romulus is retconned into still being around.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I think that the best we can hope for is that the new show won't make STO less canon than it already is. If CBS wants to go that extra mile, and say have an Andorian lieutenant Va'Kel Shon on one of the ships that the show covers at whatever time period that Shon would have been a lieutenant (etc.), then that would be nice. But I doubt that they'll bother giving STO any shout-outs, confirming/denying our "soft" canon place.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    I think that the best we can hope for is that the new show won't make STO less canon than it already is. If CBS wants to go that extra mile, and say have an Andorian lieutenant Va'Kel Shon on one of the ships that the show covers at whatever time period that Shon would have been a lieutenant (etc.), then that would be nice. But I doubt that they'll bother giving STO any shout-outs, confirming/denying our "soft" canon place.

Why would the new show make STO less canon than it already is? Star Trek believes in the multiverse theory so theoretically, any Star Trek fanfiction has happened.
  • Options
    Thoughts? I think this belongs in ten forward, probably in the thread discussing the new series

Its related to STO. Im talking about how it should be in the STO time period, and that some of the events in STO would make for good television.
  • Options
    tiekosora wrote: »

An Anthology is not at all what many fans want. Terrible.

• Options

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Romulus

Memory Alpha (Which is canon)
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    If the next Star Trek series is set after Nemesis, then it will be set in the Prime Universe while STO is set in its own universe. So nothing that happened in STO will affect the new series. Whether Romulus is destroyed is up to the creators of that show. All they have to say is that the first few minutes of Star Trek 2009 happened in another reality and Romulus is retconned into still being around.

• Options

Which is canon until proved otherwise. Is there any proof that the first few minutes of the Star Trek 2009 movie happened in the Prime Universe? We only assume that it happened in the Prime Universe and have no current evidence to prove otherwise until the new Star Trek series provides new evidence. Therefore, if the creators of the new Star Trek series want to have Romulus, then it will have Romulus and the new Star Trek movies have absolutely no connection to the Prime Universe due to Spock Prime no longer being Spock Prime, but from some other parallel universe.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    the 'first few minutes' were of the kelvin...the destruction of romulus didn't happen until halfway through the movie​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    It has been a while since I have seen that movie so forgot where it happened in the movie, but my point still stands. How do we know that it happened in the Prime Universe? Spock Prime in the credits doesn't prove anything since it has been over 10 years since a Star Trek series set in the Prime Universe has happened. Also, Spock Prime is better than Old Spock and Young Spock, but not as accurate as Spock 616 and Spock 1610 since calling something the Prime Universe implies that it is superior to others.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    vulcan's destruction doesn't need retconning, as it didn't happen in the prime universe​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    farmallm wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing a series variation based off STO. I'm sure it will be far better than JJ's Spoof Trek.

You wouldn't a TV show based on STO? Lets take a look at this... * wavy visual effects *

* sits down and turns on tv *

Loading........loading..........TV not responding ( 32.3 Seconds )...........oh, it crashed.

It would still be a better series than the new Star Trek movies according to some people.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    It has been a while since I have seen that movie so forgot where it happened in the movie, but my point still stands. How do we know that it happened in the Prime Universe? Spock Prime in the credits doesn't prove anything since it has been over 10 years since a Star Trek series set in the Prime Universe has happened. Also, Spock Prime is better than Old Spock and Young Spock, but not as accurate as Spock 616 and Spock 1610 since calling something the Prime Universe implies that it is superior to others.

Starfleet Career Summary

2252 – As cadet, assigned under Capt. Christopher Pike, U.S.S. Enterprise

2253 – Commissioned as ensign, still aboard Enterprise under Pike

2265 – As lieutenant commander, named first officer and science officer under Capt. James T. Kirk aboard Enterprise; promoted to commander soon after

2269 – Retired from Starfleet

2271 – Reactivated commission during V'Ger crisis under Kirk on refit Enterprise

2277 – Promoted to captain, assigned to Starfleet Academy faculty and cadet training with Enterprise

2285 – Relinquish cadet-filled U.S.S. Enterprise to Kirk for rescue of Project Genesis team

2286 – Though uncharged, stands with Kirk and shipmates for theft of Enterprise charges

2287 – Accompanies Kirk aboard U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A for Nimbus III mission

2293 – Envoy to UFP-Klingon peace accords, spurred by explosion of Klingon moon Praxis

2368 – Now retired, took on secret personal mission to Romulus, pursuing reunification

2369 – Working with Romulan underground, aided ally Vice-Consul M'ret's escape offworld

2387 - Presumed dead in a black hole, amid failed effort to save Romulus from a vast supernova
    - See more at: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/spock#sthash.yCRs7UJt.dpuf
    -

From StarTrek.com. So if CBS says hes Spock Prime then so be it.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!