test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If it's going to be sucessful, it needs to have Cross Platform play

daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
seriously....I don't think it's possible for cryptic to fail in that.

they could barely ever handle one server, and with the separation of three platforms, they wouldn't survive.

this console version setup HAS to be cross platform. the STF queues need to be replenished. and the playerbase needs to be vastly expanded on.

also....there needs to be a "Hail" option for the console players, so we don't hear the constant freaking screaching of countless voices.

Comments

• Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    If it all runs on the same server farm cross platform they need better servers. When new missions come out and everyone is on our server that is shared with neverwinter *bright idea #TRIBBLE)heads* nearly has a stroke. Top that off with neverwinter having new content released killing STO server etc etc.

They need major server upgrades as is, throw in this and itll cause our server to trip more balls then the original woodstock. Then we have the whole DDOSing duchebag guys that will murder the server every chance they get /sigh
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Nope- ain't gonna happen. They'll keep em separated so when 1 server group becomes less profitable they can close them down and shift resources to the more profitable group.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Nope- ain't gonna happen. They'll keep em separated so when 1 server group becomes less profitable they can close them down and shift resources to the more profitable group.

it's less profitable to have more servers, better they update the ones they have and keep it all viable.

having more servers doesn't mean it's freaking free. there are massive financial ties to them which can cripple any future profit if they happen to not meet expectations.

at least with updating their current servers, they can at least keep it contained, they don't need to branch out all the time.

if one of the console servers goes down...it's over for STO. completely. becuase not only would that mean they didn't reach their investment, it means they won't have momentum to keep STO alive and after that it's just a matter of time before STO shuts down.

not to mention, there's no guarentee there will be enough people across each platform to keep the damn STF's alive. I mean for fraks sake, we're already down to practically nothing in STF's now. once the buzz wears off in the console versions, it'll be like the PC version, no one will bother if it takes for freaking ever to join the STF they need to join.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I'm going to bet no. It would take a lot of cross talking(since there are different OS involved and that's a copper plated *****). Might be able to log into one account from different platforms through ARC so you can play 1 account on any platform, but all platforms on one whole server, I HIGHLY doubt it.

WG and WoTs hasn't even come close to that.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    I doubt it will be cross platform. There wouldn't have been any need to create separate tabs up top for the Xbox and PS4 otherwise. If everyone played on the same servers on the same game version then only one forum would be necessary like FFXIV does. Since they saw fit to make separate tabs just as they did over on the NW side, I think it's highly likely that we're going to get separate servers for each version.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Lag
    console-jockeys aren't gonna stand for it.

It's funny, I read back in season 7 that the end would be near when STO went console. Maybe they were on to something. We'll see...
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'd really like it if I could use my current account on any device. And Crossplay might fill the queues, I mean IMHO it would be a lot better for all players to have the population as high as possible.

I really hope they open it up to everyone.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Well I've spent loads on the PC Version and I'm not restrting from scratch. :/
  • Options
    jtoon74 wrote: »

exactly.

even if they manage to have the porting over....it'll most likely be a one time thing.

if MS and Sony have to have their own servers, it would mean that your profile would have to be transfered over permenantly. and cost money. because otherwise it'd mean their own servers would be meaningless.

in other words. with a cross platform singular server, they don't have to upload your profile, location, etc to MS or Sony servers every time you change platform, which would cost resources, time etc. if they did separate it all, it would be more expensive than it's worth.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    No cross platform play! Have any of you people dealt with the prepubescent trolls on console games? Shutter just thinking about it.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I would prefer cross platform play just to bring a little more life into the game, but if they can't pull that off, they need to make it so our accounts are cross platform, meaning our characters are all there if we log in on the xbox one or ps4. If anything, since Win 10 has the Xbox function now, hopefully there will be some cross play allowed for that.
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    As far as I know the XBOX network is still closed for Cross-platform games. Microsoft has talked recently about maybe finally opening it up in the future, but not yet at this point.

So if there is going to be cross-platform, it will be PS4-PC only and XBOX seperate. Unless PWE somehow managed to secure early Access and permission to Cross-platform from Microsoft. Which I hardly doubt, since Neverwinter is still seperate.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    jeronan wrote: »
    As far as I know the XBOX network is still closed for Cross-platform games. Microsoft has talked recently about maybe finally opening it up in the future, but not yet at this point.

http://gamingbolt.com/rocket-league-dev-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-cross-platform-play-technically-it-was-not-that-difficult

That said, this is no MMO. It's just that the difficulties STO/NW face probably aren't down to MS/Sony being reticent to try (it's been done.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    IF IT'S GOING TO BE SUCESSFUL, IT NEEDS

DOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Console client patches must be validated, so it's quite plausible that the three versions will not be in sync.
    they could barely ever handle one server,

Obviously Cryptic / PWE is adding new developers for the console clients, why can't they add additional server / IT staff? As long as the games attract players there will be additional revenue. If there are not enough players to justify the extra server person then they will shut down that console version. It's not rocket surgery.
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2016

http://gamingbolt.com/rocket-league-dev-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-cross-platform-play-technically-it-was-not-that-difficult

That said, this is no MMO. It's just that the difficulties STO/NW face probably aren't down to MS/Sony being reticent to try (it's been done.)

Well, then MS is finally going ahead with it then after all these years. Let's hope PWE has managed to strike a similar deal With Microsoft for Cross-platform.

But I don't hold my hopes up, as they would have said that with todays announcement, since it would be quite a big deal and boost in hype. So not something you hold back on.
  • Options
    Which I hardly doubt, since Neverwinter is still seperate.

so you don't doubt it...that's what hardly means, you don't doub it.

Neverwinter is still seperate because they've already got it settled. it's on contract, and it's embedded. not to mention the logistics of merging the servers now of all times.

STO isn't integrated yet, more seprate servers won't be a good thing.

• Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    well according to zero
    I can't speak with certainty about the current situation, but when we were moving Neverwinter to the XBOne, it was forbidden by Microsoft to allow cross-platform play. That included PC/console.

At present, the plan is to use Neverwinter's server model, with a separate server per platform. :)
    https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4j187p/star_trek_online_coming_to_xbox_one_and_ps4/d32xr96

however Microsoft ended that policy a while back... news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/
    Cross-Network Play
    First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/#ZMqRo9ti1HlCL6YV.99

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Cryptic reconsider cross-platform play PLEASE that notion no longer holds true for Microsoft...

edit:
    OP please add this to the OP
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    IF IT'S GOING TO BE SUCESSFUL, IT NEEDS

DOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Console client patches must be validated, so it's quite plausible that the three versions will not be in sync.
    they could barely ever handle one server,

Obviously Cryptic / PWE is adding new developers for the console clients, why can't they add additional server / IT staff? As long as the games attract players there will be additional revenue. If there are not enough players to justify the extra server person then they will shut down that console version. It's not rocket surgery.

not a DOOM thread, just a "successful probability"

if it were doom, I'd say STO is dying blah blah blah.

and let's add all of that up shall we?

Server Staff-$$$
    Developer Staff per platform-$$$
    Additional Servers-$$$$$

Now let's look at it this way.

All 3 versions would need to maintain a level of income, and playerbase in order to be justified and maintained.

however this would mean they need to have a steady player and income base to cover the intial investment, which would also mean they're taking on huge risks.

so let's look at it this way, with one server, and one set of porting teams.

Server Staff-$
    Developer Staff Per Platform- $$
    Existing Updated Server-$$$

they can't afford to just shut down one server, because they'll never cover the costs, it'll basically drag down a good percentage of the development team, and the profits. meaning if they have to shut down one consoles server, they'd basically have the remaining investment to recover still in their budget. so they'd either have to maximize their profits with a lot of utter TRIBBLE...or they cut their losses and shut down the remaining console server and STO will Stagnate, development will crawl to a standstill, and patches become less frequent. STO won't die, but it will be slowed down considerably.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10

So to do this Cryptic would need to only support Windows 10. Windows 10 currently has around 15% of the desktop OS market share, compared to around 48% for Windows 7, 13% for 8.x, 10% for XP.

They could make it work so that you can share a server IF you are running Windows 10, but they would still need to run Holodeck for the other 80% of players.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »

Same here as well.

It's good news for console players who don't have a pc. There are some, I know few myself.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Umm psst... guys... DCUO went cross platform for ps3/4, pc, and xbone just recently...
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I don't think cross-platform play is really neccessary. Unless they fail to attract console gamers in the first place (in which case the thing would be failure for that reason alone.)

Cross-Platform seems primarily important for people that want to play with others that use a different platform, or because they want to switch themselves to a different platform. That might not be as close as many as new players that would simply enter the game that will form their own community.

The concerns about the "power" of the server for handling multiple games seem to be based on a bit of a naive assumption here - It's extremely unlikely that there is just "one" physical server that runs everything. There will be a farm/cluster of servers that is patched to our current version of the game to represent Holodeck, and there are others for Redshirt or Tribble. Most of the stuff is simply hidden away and managed in the background to us. I would imagine that individual map instances map to one specific server (and one server probably handles multiple map instances), but that is likely the extent of it. There might be seperate servers for handling things like chat.
    I won't make any guesses on how many servers they have or need for all this, because I frankly have no idea about such detailed workings.

If they have to handle more players, they'll add more servers to whatever they already have.

Cross-Play however might be unfeasible simply because apparently the console creators expect certain validation checks that could be too costly to run every week. So they would either lower their patch frequency, or they simply use servers with different game versions, one for PC, one for Xbox, one for Playstation.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    seriously....I don't think it's possible for cryptic to fail in that.

they could barely ever handle one server, and with the separation of three platforms, they wouldn't survive.

this console version setup HAS to be cross platform. the STF queues need to be replenished. and the playerbase needs to be vastly expanded on.

also....there needs to be a "Hail" option for the console players, so we don't hear the constant freaking screaching of countless voices.

I wish for cross platform but Microsoft or sony will not let devs to make it,for example warframe is not cross platform only because sony did not allow devs to make it
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    warpet wrote: »
    I wish for cross platform but Microsoft or sony will not let devs to make it,for example warframe is not cross platform only because sony did not allow devs to make it
    old news, no longer accurate

for example
    Umm psst... guys... DCUO went cross platform for ps3/4, pc, and xbone just recently...

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    In a way I do hope they cross platform so console jockeys get schooled big time!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    scarling wrote: »
    No cross platform play! Have any of you people dealt with the prepubescent trolls on console games? Shutter just thinking about it.

Sorry, but the biggest argument against would be to protect console players from those on PC. This game is a garbage can of internet trolls. STO is the biggest example I have ever seen of what happens when you give people a keyboard and complete and total free reign to say absolutely anything without consequence.

The forums are fine, but in game? I have never seen a worse community ever then STO general chat, and they might consider that when talking about Cross Platform Play.

Personally, if they just make the accounts cross platform, I would make due with that. If I could log in with my seaofsorrows account on my XBox and start over, but still have all my C-Store stuff unlocked, I would likely make a character to play on my console. If making a character on my XBox means no access to the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I have spent over the years, then they can cram it with walnuts.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not cross platform for one key reason. They didn't say it was..

If it was cross platform, a great feature like that would be in the launch announcement. They always hold 'the bad news' until after the announcement. The fact that they have said nothing, says everything.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    This is a very bad idea. So far, they have barely been able to keep the PC version bug free and running smooth. The queues are dead, major bugs still exist. On top of that, this new platform client is not going to be cross platform enabled. This does nothing for the bulk of STO players on PC's. Since they have been working on this, they have taken a lot of development time and staff away from the main PC version to make this port possible. Safe to say, things will not be getting better from here. I seriously doubt that players wanting to experience the game on a console will even be able to use their current accounts on the console. This is definitely not bringing players in to pad our population. It will be its own game for console systems and to be honest, with the type of people that play on consoles, it is probably a good idea that it stays that way.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    This is a very bad idea. So far, they have barely been able to keep the PC version bug free and running smooth. The queues are dead, major bugs still exist. On top of that, this new platform client is not going to be cross platform enabled. This does nothing for the bulk of STO players on PC's. Since they have been working on this, they have taken a lot of development time and staff away from the main PC version to make this port possible. Safe to say, things will not be getting better from here. I seriously doubt that players wanting to experience the game on a console will even be able to use their current accounts on the console. This is definitely not bringing players in to pad our population. It will be its own game for console systems and to be honest, with the type of people that play on consoles, it is probably a good idea that it stays that way.

Look at this way! They will have a more extensive audience to get them upset monkey-2.gif It has been said the day STO goes same as Neverwinter will be close to the end to this franchise. What a way to go? However, still waiting for Borgs.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    johnthomas02johnthomas02 Member Posts: 16 Arc User

PC and PS3/4 are cross platform. XB1 is separate for reasons.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Can we start a doom thread? I see it coming since it will NOT be crossplatform. You guys are right this is doomed news!!!monkey-47.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.