Options

If it's going to be sucessful, it needs to have Cross Platform play

124»

Comments

• Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    nccmax2 wrote: »
    i can all ready see dead que's if it is not cross platform.

After a while you will see dead queues on both PC and console...give it at most 1 or 2 months after AOY launches

BEST idea EVER!!!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    nccmax2 wrote: »
    i can all ready see dead que's if it is not cross platform.

After a while you will see dead queues on both PC and console...give it at most 1 or 2 months after AOY launches

BEST idea EVER!!!​​

Based on... what?

Let's say I am a bookie and I want to work out how you are creating these 'odds'. How have you worked them out?

Now, I'm assuming PWE (a very big, rich company) has spent a fair bit of money on research into the area. So if I was a betting man... can you please tell me where you are getting these numbers from?

Or was that just a 'doom' post?
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

Oh Christ...

You are not actually jealous of those Breen give aways are you?

I have them all. They are not Uber, and most people who have them don't use them :P

I used the carrier for my Romulan science captain because everyone knows the Romulans (KDF too) do not deserve to have their own T6 science ship.

Yeah, it seems the assets for all the event ships can be excluded from the console version of STO since those players will not be able to get them anyway. But I suppose the 2014 Anniversary Dyson ship could be an exception since it is available in the Lobi Store (600 Lobi ??). However, Cryptic can simply exclude it from the store.
  • Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    And not doing cross-platform will be the dumbest move cryptic can make.
    @tacofangs
    @crypticrock
    @borticuscryptic
    If you go cross platform it will breath a ton of life into the game. If you separate them it will create 3 Sto games all with no real life.

Exactly, it means I can get friends into playing too and finally be able to play with my toons but since there not planning it at launch...seems like a huge disappointment for me. This needs to be at launch, even if it delays the launch since as a life-time member I'm technically losing all my toons and all my perks if they choose not to.
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Has nobody mentioned that Microsoft has confirmed Mouse and Keyboard support for Xbox One? That would make MMO's on console a whole new animal.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    rekurzion wrote: »
    I don't play neverwinter (PC or XBOX) but I have a hard time seeing them keeping the XBOX version running on the same servers that run STO, Neverwinter, etc.

From around Nov/Dec last year until about March this year nearly every time I logged in to play on the weekends some script kiddie brought down the entire collection of games for nearly the full 2 days. Cryptic would get hung alive if they released a (paid for) game that was offline due to DDOS attacks with that frequency. Considering they will charge for the game (can't see how they replicate the FTP model) I bet they keep XBOX running separate from the PC version.

you may have to pay to play online this is charged by the console companies so take it up them, many players are already paying this anyway so its not an issue, the game itself will be free to play unless you choose to subscribe or buy c-store stuff.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    I really don't see what the problem is with console/pc crossplay both xbox one and playstation 4 allow crossplay.
    I realise there may be a problem with updates but this is only a minor bump to get over, I am sure emergency updates would be pushed through pretty quickly and once pc players sync with consoles players update schedule you wont notice the difference, ok pc players might have to wait 4 weeks at the outset for the next update when it gets started but after that you would be back to getting them weekly, they are not going to wait for an update to get approved before submitting the next so it will probably be weekly after the first one anyway and you might have to wait a few extra days for an emergency fix but I can live with that.
    all of these little inconveniences are worth the bother they cause to get console players and pc players playing together IMO.
    I see other online games that allow crossplay with pc players and if they can manage it so can sto.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I realise there may be a problem with updates but this is only a minor bump to get over, I am sure emergency updates would be pushed through pretty quickly and once pc players sync with consoles players update schedule you wont notice the difference, ok pc players might have to wait 4 weeks at the outset for the next update when it gets started but after that you would be back to getting them weekly, they are not going to wait for an update to get approved before submitting the next so it will probably be weekly after the first one anyway and you might have to wait a few extra days for an emergency fix but I can live with that.

Well... in a Priority One Podcast interview with Producer Maria “Zeronius Rex” Rosseau about 2 weeks ago, she mentioned that both Sony and Microsoft have 100+ page validation guidelines that everything must go through before they can go live for their consoles. The validation process can take up to 4 weeks.

Naturally, a patch should generally not take as long as an expansion to validate. Nevertheless, the validation process is a choke point.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Well... in a Priority One Podcast interview with Producer Maria “Zeronius Rex” Rosseau about 2 weeks ago, she mentioned that both Sony and Microsoft have 100+ page validation guidelines that everything must go through before they can go live for their consoles. The validation process can take up to 4 weeks.

Naturally, a patch should generally not take as long as an expansion to validate. Nevertheless, the validation process is a choke point.

that may well be but as I say if other games can manage it I really don't see a problem I am sure they would rush through emergency fixes and perhaps be more thorough in playtesting so emergency fixes are less common anyway.
    also like I said they would not wait for an update to get approval before releasing the next for approval so there is nothing stopping them submitting updates for validation on a weekly basis and applying them weekly after they get approved, of course there will be a minor hump where pc users don't get an update for the first 4 weeks but after that I don't see all that much inconvenience and what there is will be worth it IMO for the ability to cross play.
    large events would be a prime example, you don't think we pc user will be playing summer and winter events for 4 weeks before console users do you? if they can release those at the same time so can they release any other updates.
    we just need to be prepared to have pc updates scheduled to coincide with console updates, personally I'm ok with that.

as I said before I still would not be surprised to see that once to consoles get a good player base with a good bit of time and money invested they will end up allowing cross platform play.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,038 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Yeah the old to be successful it must be cross platform rant. You sound like the Mac users who stomped their little feet and demanded the game be ported to MacOS. They swore up and down they would spend cash and lots of Mac users would join. Well they were ported in so STO became cross platform PC/Mac and guess what. All the stuff the MAc users swore they would do DIDN"T happen. So after being burned by MAc users Cryptic is very wise keeping the console jockeys in thier own playground so if the console jockeys don't produce all the revenue and numbers that they swear will happen no real damage will be done when they get dropped.

We didn't stomp our feet. We didn't swear up and down. The people whose job it is to "make the game go" couldn't deliver.

Interesting point though about separate servers... if things don't work out for "console jockeys" they can just be dropped (just like support for Mac) >:)

Still playing STO on two different Macs for five years now :)

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Do you know why it will not be cross-platform? Do you understand the reasons why it's not cross-platform?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    Do you know why it will not be cross-platform? Do you understand the reasons why it's not cross-platform?

I've seen many people say it's because the PC would have too large of an advantage over console versions.
    I've heard about the MS and Sony spat about not sharing servers in such a case.

but no one has come up with a reason which isn't obsolete, at this point (thanks to MS's relaxing their grip) the sharing servers for crossplay is a reality, and it'd only be necessary to give complete parity for the console and PC controls if we're talking about PVP, which CAN have a separation, or just completely killed off.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    PC users are used to crashes. Comes with the territory.

Console producers do not ever want crashes. Thats why they choke devs with validation, they simply cannot have games crash on consoles.

It would destroy the myth of easy usage and plug and play.
    Its not about the players, its about the image of the uncomplicated gaming tool.
  • Options
    staticharge5347staticharge5347 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Personally, I would like to see some of that UI work and lighting improvements and such become part of the cross platform hype. But alas, we PC users will just get to play same bugged out mess we have today. I'm not buying a console just to play what Cryptic has made clear is going to be a far superior version of the game. All of this computer power just to be ignored in favor of the girls playing with their tiny little boxes. One thing is for sure, I'm done throwing money at this game if playing favorites is how Cryptic is going to work. This is such a great game. It's sad to see it getting sh*t on by money hungry idiots.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    Personally, I would like to see some of that UI work and lighting improvements and such become part of the cross platform hype. But alas, we PC users will just get to play same bugged out mess we have today. I'm not buying a console just to play what Cryptic has made clear is going to be a far superior version of the game. All of this computer power just to be ignored in favor of the girls playing with their tiny little boxes. One thing is for sure, I'm done throwing money at this game if playing favorites is how Cryptic is going to work. This is such a great game. It's sad to see it getting sh*t on by money hungry idiots.

you know you can use the Console UI on the PC right?

you just need to have a functioning gamepad with the right drivers and you can use the same UI (currently not released the full version)
  • Options
    you know you can use the Console UI on the PC right?

you just need to have a functioning gamepad with the right drivers and you can use the same UI (currently not released the full version)

Last time I heard (about 2 or 3 weeks ago) the Console UI is not in STO PC. From what I recall STO players in Germany (2nd largest player base) were very interested in having the Console UI in the PC version of the game. I believe Steve Ricossa (Executive Producer) stated he would look into it.
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Lol, possible, maybe sony, maybe microshaft, wtf, guess nobody paid attention to surgos posts's about ff11 and ff14, ff11 was cross platform well over 10 yrs ago.

The only reason it isn't possible or wont be done is if PWE/Cryptic doesn't want to, or doesn't do it.

We dont want the console crowd?, why?, the zone chat in STO leaves nothing for the PC crowd that plays it to talk about, Star Trolls Online.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    PC users are used to crashes. Comes with the territory.

Console producers do not ever want crashes. Thats why they choke devs with validation, they simply cannot have games crash on consoles.

It would destroy the myth of easy usage and plug and play.
    Its not about the players, its about the image of the uncomplicated gaming tool.

This is my actual issue with this console porting idea, i highly doubt that with the state of this game on PC with bugs, lag, sosf that PWE/Cryptic and their etch-a-sketch server history can handle the added demands.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Lol, possible, maybe sony, maybe microshaft, wtf, guess nobody paid attention to surgos posts's about ff11 and ff14, ff11 was cross platform well over 10 yrs ago.

The only reason it isn't possible or wont be done is if PWE/Cryptic doesn't want to, or doesn't do it.
    Did FF11 or FF14 have a weekly update schedule? How often were their content patches? Did they have the storage requirements of STO? Did it run on apples or oranges?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Of all the things that will influence the success or failure of the console versions of STO... I'd list cross-platform play somewhere around the 177th most important thing.
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    My favourite part is how Cryptic actually fall further and further behind the 8ball every single time they even think of redesigning any aspect of this once-fun game.

But let's just totally redesign it (or sections of it, or WHATEVER) again anyway, and also port it to new platforms, that'll fix everything.

Can't wait til they arbitrarily decide to redesign the UI again in a year, and the amount of 'having to put up with their TRIBBLE' that that will entail for us players, just like every other time.

(All you folks who had more than 1 stack of the old Crafting Materials during the DR changeover, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.)

No, why should us PC users be the only ones to experience this delectably terrible routine?

I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR INFERIOR COUSINS purely for the amount of hassle they'll give Cryptic - I would not advocate the harassment of my fellow humans, but there is nothing wrong with me foreseeing the inevitable blacklash and subsequent trollstorm that Cryptic are literally inviting, and that there is also nothing wrong with enjoying it while it happens.

I mean, apart from the FPS crowds (and certain servers of specific other games), most PC users actually try to be civil. I've seen no evidence of that from console users (for whatever reasons), and it just looks to me like Cryptic are ASKING FOR IT.

Not content with being lambasted on small and ineffecitve blogs, they now want the entire gaming world to look at them - Console Gamers will have a field day with it. Look what they've done to far superior games.

I wouldn't say this is a doom post, but let's not ignore the most likely outcome, okay?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Did FF11 or FF14 have a weekly update schedule? How often were their content patches? Did they have the storage requirements of STO? Did it run on apples or oranges?

Weekly maint schedule-yes

Content patches were slower- so what

Storage requirements were higher- again, so what

It was cross platform over 10 yrs ago, if they can patch the consoles in, they can go cross platform, wether they do or not doesn't matter to me an ounce, fruit doesn't apply.

If they "dont" do cross platform it is because they wont or dont want to, all this "cant" bs, is just bs, just like the "oh my" you dont understand how awwwful hard coding is to fix bugs, it's soooo hard, bs.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The consoles are going to launch in the Fall with the game patched only up to Season 11.5.

By then the PC patches will be way beyond that point and it will take quite awhile for the consoles to catch up.
    (if they even can, with the vetting process required by SONY & Microsoft)

IF Cryptic were to allow folks to transfer toons over at launch, the players would not be able to use anything they acquired beyond the patch for 11.5.

Also, since the patch numbers will be different, it's most likely that a PC transferred toon would cause the console game to crash, since the LIVEDATA files would be completely different and not compatible.

It really doesn't have anything to do with BUGS, it's simply the PROCESS that's causing the problem.
    The PC's are always going to be ahead of the Consoles in terms of Patch Numbers.

There's also the problem of the Consoles probably NOT having everything in the LIVEDATA files that the PC's do just because of the length of time PC's have been playing.
    That too, could be a "crash inducing" hic-cup for transferred accounts.

Perhaps by next year some time, They will have figured out a way, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif