test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If it's going to be sucessful, it needs to have Cross Platform play

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    If they don't go Cross Platform, I would actually be just as happy if they made the console interface available as on option for the PC version.

If I could control the PC version with a controller, that would have the same effect for me since I could always use my PC or Laptop with my TV. Sure, I wouldn't be able to type, but I don't talk to people in game anyway, so I don't care about that.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    If they don't go Cross Platform, I would actually be just as happy if they made the console interface available as on option for the PC version.

If I could control the PC version with a controller, that would have the same effect for me since I could always use my PC or Laptop with my TV. Sure, I wouldn't be able to type, but I don't talk to people in game anyway, so I don't care about that.

did you read the blog post?? it says quite clearly the upgrades are coming to pc
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    The devs can add cross-network play:
    http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/
    I can't speak with certainty about the current situation, but when we were moving Neverwinter to the XBOne, it was forbidden by Microsoft to allow cross-platform play. That included PC/console.
    At present, the plan is to use Neverwinter's server model, with a separate server per platform. :)

But what will they actually do? Copy and paste Neverwinter's code and call it a day. Why not go the extra mile? Heck, do it for both games.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    And not doing cross-platform will be the dumbest move cryptic can make.
    @tacofangs
    @crypticrock
    @borticuscryptic
    If you go cross platform it will breath a ton of life into the game. If you separate them it will create 3 Sto games all with no real life.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Not going to happen - the console controls are inferior to PC, and they are not going to TRIBBLE over console players by putting them in the underdog situation.
    And they definitely won't be bringing console UI to PC, because this in turn will mean TRIBBLE over PC users - though some of the backend (i.e. internal mechanism not visible in UI itself) modifications might - just might - make its way to PC.
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    Maybe I'm going off the reservation here. They can expand the game to PS4 and XBOX, but they can't be bothered to keep a Mac version? Gimme a break!
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    Maybe I'm going off the reservation here. They can expand the game to PS4 and XBOX, but they can't be bothered to keep a Mac version? Gimme a break!

because Mac user base is WAAAAAAY smaller than the consoles.....and WAAAAY smaller than the PC base.

• Options
    Not going to happen - the console controls are inferior to PC, and they are not going to TRIBBLE over console players by putting them in the underdog situation.
    And they definitely won't be bringing console UI to PC, because this in turn will mean TRIBBLE over PC users - though some of the backend (i.e. internal mechanism not visible in UI itself) modifications might - just might - make its way to PC.

they limited the game regardless. you can't spamfrak abilities like we used to be able to in the past, in STO's case there really isn't any major advantage for a PC user...aside from performance that is.

in an FPS sure, in most other games ok....but in this kind of MMO? no.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Lets not forget, Neverwinter has already announced that they will be available as a Windows 10 game

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9918263-neverwinter-coming-to-windows-10

So, cross platform may not be to far into the future.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User

It makes perfect sense if you apply logic instead of just "I want this."

PWE is a business not a charity for mac gamers. They can't be "bothered" to keep the Mac version because it did not make them enough money to cover its costs. They expect to make a profit from X1 and PS4. If that turns out to be wrong then they will drop those versions too.

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I don't need or particularly want cross-platform play... but I would like a SINGLE ACCOUNT that I can access from all platforms. I'd like to be able to use my current stable of captains through a console and for my gains on the console to be reflected back here. I don't mind that I'll only be able to interact with players on the same platform while I'm playing.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    tousseau wrote: »
    Lets not forget, Neverwinter has already announced that they will be available as a Windows 10 game

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9918263-neverwinter-coming-to-windows-10

So, cross platform may not be to far into the future.

Windows Store means it most certainly could easily use cross platform play.
    semalda226 wrote: »
    And not doing cross-platform will be the dumbest move cryptic can make.
    @tacofangs
    @crypticrock
    @borticuscryptic
    If you go cross platform it will breath a ton of life into the game. If you separate them it will create 3 Sto games all with no real life.

I think you need to page people on a higher pay grade and with decision making power like:
    @salamiinferno
    @crypticgeko
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2016

did you read the blog post?? it says quite clearly the upgrades are coming to pc

No, I didn't. Thank you for the information.

I still think that Cross Platform play is the best thing for the game, but it sounds like they have made up their minds. I'll just look forward to playing on my PC from the couch I guess.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Yeah...but Xbone and PS4 use x86 architecture like PC's so there are more potential customers to PWE to entice.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'd be interested to know the following if cross-platform:

1. Will this result in more server strain (more than usual I mean)

2. What will STFs and other group content be like moving forward? Unless mic'd up, Xbox and PS4 can't use the standard chat methods unless they have a keyboard installed which few do as they don't need them for most games. Communication could be difficult.

3. Will there be at least an identifier knowing who is a 'platformer' and who isn't? Some games use this to help address # 2.

4. Just to double check on this one and it's been a while sense I last checked, will Xbox and PS4 be 'cool' with being on the same server. Last time it was a fat no.

5. Again, last I checked and long time ago, you couldn't transfer you account over from PC to platform due to security reasons, so you had to create a new account and start over, but you could go from platform over to PC fine but that's doesn't help, well, anyone here really.

@kodachikuno you seem to know the updated news on cross-platform based on your posts, do you know the answers for 4 & 5?
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The devs can add cross-network play:
    http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/
    I can't speak with certainty about the current situation, but when we were moving Neverwinter to the XBOne, it was forbidden by Microsoft to allow cross-platform play. That included PC/console.
    At present, the plan is to use Neverwinter's server model, with a separate server per platform. :)

But what will they actually do? Copy and paste Neverwinter's code and call it a day. Why not go the extra mile? Heck, do it for both games.

Sure if Microsoft allows it. Remember, might be PWE's game, but it's Microsoft's stuff they want to cross over, whether it be computer or XBOX.

Unless you want a massive lawsuit that ends up shutting down STO period.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    Cross-post from a similar thread.

News from the FedCon panel:
    No cross-platform for now.
    (Honestly stolen from reddit).

The question is settled.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    kavase wrote: »

2. What will STFs and other group content be like moving forward? Unless mic'd up, Xbox and PS4 can't use the standard chat methods unless they have a keyboard installed which few do as they don't need them for most games. Communication could be difficult.

3. Will there be at least an identifier knowing who is a 'platformer' and who isn't? Some games use this to help address # 2.

4. Just to double check on this one and it's been a while sense I last checked, will Xbox and PS4 be 'cool' with being on the same server. Last time it was a fat no.

5. Again, last I checked and long time ago, you couldn't transfer you account over from PC to platform due to security reasons, so you had to create a new account and start over, but you could go from platform over to PC fine but that's doesn't help, well, anyone here really.

@kodachikuno you seem to know the updated news on cross-platform based on your posts, do you know the answers for 4 & 5?

3)Most likely no
    4)They can but Microshaft only barely plays well with the other kids in the pool
    5)The only games I know that are cross platform do not share or transfer accts. You want to play on the PS4? Make/use a PS4 acct and it will not have the stuff your PC acct does.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Now that it is settled we need to think of another Doom Thread to get everyone going.

Hand out the torches and pitchforks, quick.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator
    ltminns wrote: »
    Now that it is settled we need to think of another Doom Thread to get everyone going.

Pretty sure there's more DOOOOOOOMsaying in this thread's future.

Why does it NEED cross-platform anyways? Defiance seems to be doing fine with seperate PC, XBox, and PS servers. Pretty sure all the other non cross-platform games are doing just fine...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

Pretty sure there's more DOOOOOOOMsaying in this thread's future.

Why does it NEED cross-platform anyways? Defiance seems to be doing fine with seperate PC, XBox, and PS servers. Pretty sure all the other non cross-platform games are doing just fine...

Defiance is merging servers in a year, they've already cut down a portion of their server capacities for the consoles. and the PC servers are merging with the consoles as well.

STO has a severe lack of STF players on the PC, and after a short while it'll be the same on the consoles.....because what's the other option? PVP?

with merged servers we'd have a much larger, more available playerbase, instead of the bandwith costs to several different servers, each with their own maitinence issues. we'd have one. one which would last much longer.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator
    STO has a severe lack of STF players on the PC, and after a short while it'll be the same on the consoles.....because what's the other option? PVP?

And what makes you think MORE players will change that? Sure there might be a spike in the underused STFs for a bit, but then even they will eventually migrate to the ones that are a better time/reward investment like Infected. Its only a stopgap measure to add an influx of players like that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Announcing Neverwinter coming to Windows 10 means nothing other than the Windows Store. It already was a Windows game. Was from the beginning even before it came to Consoles.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

3)Most likely no
    4)They can but Microshaft only barely plays well with the other kids in the pool
    5)The only games I know that are cross platform do not share or transfer accts. You want to play on the PS4? Make/use a PS4 acct and it will not have the stuff your PC acct does.

Pretty much what I thought then. Thanks for the reply.

It appears at this time there won't be any cross-platform at play anyway.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    surgossurgos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    definitely need to be cross-platform for me to show much more interest in the game I'm a life timer an have played the game off an on since beta I think it would be a bad move not to do cross-platform I have friends who only play on console who have been interested in the game an I doubt they will play vary long if they cant play with there friends also for example defiance on ps3 does not have many players last I checked an pc version wasn't doing bad if they had put in cross-platform I feel it would have done better
  • Options
    surgossurgos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2016

3)Most likely no

Final Fantasy XIV has cross-platform play with PC an PS4,PS3 an you can use the same account on both to use the same characters portal 2 was also cross-platform with PS3 an PC also Microsoft has recently been showing interest in cross-platforming with sony an has actually made an offer to them to see if they was willing as well I also forgot to mention Final Fantasy XI was cross-platform with PS2,PS3,PC an xbox 360 at one point all using the same account an access to your characters

• Options
    neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Nope- ain't gonna happen. They'll keep em separated so when 1 server group becomes less profitable they can close them down and shift resources to the more profitable group.

Seems like a pretty terrible move, I'd rather they have cross-play since Microsoft, Sony are ok with and finally be able to play with my toons across either plat-form, seems a bit silly to be a life-time member if they expect me to start from the begginning on consoles just because of servers being separate.
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Cross-Play sounds a lot less interesting if you realize that it means a slower patch cycle since they need to jump through certain verification/certification hoops with Microsoft and Sony. That would really mean bringing the drawbacks of consoles to the PC.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Does that really matter though? All we have for patches are basically non-fixes with the occasional massive patch that fixes 10 bugs at most (and that happens once every 2 months if we are lucky) maybe having to spread out patches over say 2 weeks at a time will make them fix stuff more? Also there's the fact that if the went cross-platform we might actually see event resurgences to allow the new console.players to get some stuff and the console players wouldn't be coming into a "new" game with no market and no players able to welcome people into a game that (let's face it) doesn't teach you anything about how to play.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Why make the game cross platform? Imagine droves of console players having a tough time killing a Borg Cube on normal difficulty through episodes. Then they decide to queue up for an ISA, it ends without them firing a shot, and they're puzzled as to what happened.

Cue the same complaints we see all the time on these forums from a bunch of console players - "it's P2W", "where's the balance", "x is OP pls nerf", "I got slapped with the afk penalty", "those nasty PvPers/DPSers ruin the game", "where's my T6 garbage scowl connie?!!?!?!?!!?!"

And ultimately they throw their hands up, because who really wants to learn to play? They move on to other games, satisfying their curiosity/trek needs and Cryptic likely makes a good profit off of ill-informed purchases. Everyone wins, except the veterans, who seem to want content in the form of new players.

Unless they make a totally new game, there is no hope for cross-platform play. Keeping PC players out of the "kiddie pool" will slow down the realization that the game is inherently broken, unexplained, and is really not an MMO at all.