What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    We may end up getting a higher-tier Miranda-class...or the option of a TOS-styled Miranda vs Pioneer (but I'm not going to hold my breath).

Coincidentally, the Pioneer looks like it was based off of (or could be) the ENT-Season 4 NX-Refit class; and the Ranger looks like a further evolution of the Pioneer.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    The NCC-1701 ENTERPRISE included with this Expansion, is a Completely New build.
    It's already been told to us a couple of times by the Dev's on Reddit.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    The NCC-1701 ENTERPRISE included with this Expansion, is a Completely New build.
    It's already been told to us a couple of times by the Dev's on Reddit.
    B)

If that's the case, will it still come with the 23rd Century Phasers and/or something else entirely?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    If you watch the Announcement Video and pay close attention to the scenes with the Enterprise fighting the Klingon ships...
    You'll actually SEE & HEAR the answer to that question.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I am so happy for you.

Astara, I'm going to give you the final piece of ammunition your posts about the redundant content in this package have been lacking.

It's ok that a lot of people have overlooked this, because most of the old timers no longer post here. But, some of us never forget.

The TOS Mirror Uniforms! This is the catalyst you've been missing for the past few pages!

Why?

Because these uniforms were initially only available if people had bought a lifetime sub. But no, NOT a lifetime sub to Star Trek Online. This was a special reward to Champions Online Lifetime Subscribers.

When they did finally move these uniforms over to the C-Store (before zen even existed) there was a massive and now classic forum war waged. So many folks who became forum regulars cut their teeth in this early battle of quotes and rage. Some of the first big bannings happened. So much moderation occured. It really helped set the tone for almost all forum wars since.

And here you are discussing this very item and missing out on the wonderful and nuanced context of how controversial that item has always been on these forums. Here's your bullet Astara. Fire it well! The Mirror Unis that some people paid $400 to acquire the first time being resold in a $129 package are definitely a slap in the face to the community that can not be overlooked!

;)

Mostly I jest. I just want people to remember that those uniforms have always been a point of contention around here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    I am so happy for you.

Astara, I'm going to give you the final piece of ammunition your posts about the redundant content in this package have been lacking.

It's ok that a lot of people have overlooked this, because most of the old timers no longer post here. But, some of us never forget.

The TOS Mirror Uniforms! This is the catalyst you've been missing for the past few pages!

Why?

Because these uniforms were initially only available if people had bought a lifetime sub. But no, NOT a lifetime sub to Star Trek Online. This was a special reward to Champions Online Lifetime Subscribers.

When they did finally move these uniforms over to the C-Store (before zen even existed) there was a massive and now classic forum war waged. So many folks who became forum regulars cut their teeth in this early battle of quotes and rage. Some of the first big bannings happened. So much moderation occured. It really helped set the tone for almost all forum wars since.

And here you are discussing this very item and missing out on the wonderful and nuanced context of how controversial that item has always been on these forums. Here's your bullet Astara. Fire it well! The Mirror Unis that some people paid $400 to acquire the first time being resold in a $129 package are definitely a slap in the face to the community that can not be overlooked!

;)

Mostly I jest. I just want people to remember that those uniforms have always been a point of contention around here.

I remember that forum war, good old times. Good to see you're still around. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Me too...
    Though I was one of the folks who was on the 'happy to get' end of that particular item.

Not so good times for the folks who got banned.

<sad face>
  • Options
    cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    dewinuwa wrote: »
    Err.. Lame! This is going backwards. I feel embarrassed to play this game now. How many OLD people still play the game? They must be like... really.. really old... from 60's... really STO? Really??? At the very least, gave an option for each era, like we can choose from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. Let us choose the series that represent us. My friend (who didn't play the game) asked me if this is a late April Fool event while we watched the video. Urghh... it could pass as a foundry, but to be main story? Gosh... who fed you guys this incomplete wreck idea?
    Err.. Lame! This is going backwards. I feel embarrassed to play this game now. How many OLD people still play the game? They must be like... really.. really old... from 60's... really STO? Really??? At the very least, gave an option for each era, like we can choose from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. Let us choose the series that represent us. My friend (who didn't play the game) asked me if this is a late April Fool event while we watched the video. Urghh... it could pass as a foundry, but to be main story? Gosh... who fed you guys this incomplete wreck idea?

Well, my age doesn't matter...I remember and watched TOS, I am the reason you have smart phones, Internet and all the other goodies you say you can't live without. I have loved each show and yes, TOS holds a special place in my heart. It's kinda sad to think after six years we get to go back to where it all started and all some people can do is complain. I know people on here that have long retired that play STO....so I wouldn't judge to quickly as the odds are we were the ones that when Cryptic was being sold are the ones that stuck it out, kept putting money into the game and kept it going so you could get on the Forums and talk about our age. I started at launch..before there were seasons and before there were events. Now I find it insulting that you dare talk about my age like it was a bad thing. I have lived and learned far more than I bet you even think could be lived and learned. Sad, Very sad that you are this shallow.

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I am not sure why people are having an issue with TOS being in the game. It is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek...when The Original Series debuted. If this was the 50th anniversary of TNG would we expect a DS9 expansion? Or a Voyager one?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    cristonic2 wrote: »

Well, my age doesn't matter...I remember and watched TOS, I am the reason you have smart phones, Internet and all the other goodies you say you can't live without. I have loved each show and yes, TOS holds a special place in my heart. It's kinda sad to think after six years we get to go back to where it all started and all some people can do is complain. I know people on here that have long retired that play STO....so I wouldn't judge to quickly as the odds are we were the ones that when Cryptic was being sold are the ones that stuck it out, kept putting money into the game and kept it going so you could get on the Forums and talk about our age. I started at launch..before there were seasons and before there were events. Now I find it insulting that you dare talk about my age like it was a bad thing. I have lived and learned far more than I bet you even think could be lived and learned. Sad, Very sad that you are this shallow.

I wonder if those people have reached the age of 20 yet..in all likelyhood, no - otherwise why would they wantonly talk about the age of other people as a reason for NOT getting this expansion? For the record, my old man was 3 months (and 27 days) shy of 20 when the last episode of TOS first aired - in this year, the 50th Anniversary of "Where No Man Has Gone Before", I've turned 20, does that make me an OLD PERSON?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    lynxmlynxm Member Posts: 12 Arc User

Poor, poor dewinuwa how fragile and young you must be if this embarrasses you!

It is not our ages you should worry about. You should be more concerned about how quickly you will look old from worrying about such things. Without us "really.. really old" people you wouldn't have the ability to moan about things being lame: internet, cell phones, computers, i-anything, mmos, etc. Those things only exist because "old" people like us were involved in their creation.

Time travel has always been a part of Star Trek and always will be a part of it. If you want STO to put you in a kiddie pool we'll be happy to buy you some floaties.
  • Options
    I think at this point that particular poster has gotten the point...
    Might be time to Let It Go and move on.
    B)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Franz Joseph Federation Class is not a product of "Fandom".

it never made it to the tv screens, so it is non-canon. it is another design that was clearly inspired by trek and like any other person with a design, it is a fan made design.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Except for the last 20 years it has been considered part of Official Canon by both Paramount and CBS.
    (and has been republished Four times)

And until Roddenberry got annoyed with Mr. Joseph, he considered it canon also.

It's the very first OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED piece of Trek Merchandise.

It was used as reference material for "The Motion Picture", "The Wrath of Khan" and was even part of the Writers Handbook for Phase II.

To try and demean it now is just petty.

B)

• Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    My hope is that the actual playble content is enjoyable and well made. We all know Cryptic can do good stuff, tastes aside.

It just occured to me that although the announcement says we will be able to create a TOS Starfleet captain, it never says we have to. Maybe old chars can go back.

I do plan to make a new one for this though, probably a Vulcan. The only minor downside is that I have to pay through the nose to get that new captain a plasmonic leech, I use those on all my chars lol.
  • Options
    Except for the last 20 years it has been considered part of Official Canon by both Paramount and CBS.

It was used as reference material for "The Motion Picture", "The Wrath of Khan" and was even part of the Writers Handbook for Phase II.

B)

it never appeared on screen, it isnt canon. to call it canon is to call prelude to axanar canon as well.. twisting that logic there a bit huh?
  • Options
    xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    when will this expansion go live?
  • Options
    friendlyfire2012friendlyfire2012 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Maybe Cryptic can make something new and original for the next expansion after TOS. Make it a post apocalyptic setting 2000 years after the fall of the Federation
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    paspinall wrote: »

Go read again. Not on that ship. The word appears on the other ships. So it raises the question is it just a reskin? copy/paste from the page http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/918-temporal-special-agent-pack

T1 Constitution Class
    A legendary 23rd century Starfleet vessel, the Constitution-class Cruiser regularly went where no one had gone before. A durable, versatile ship, it handled a variety of missions, including exploration, first contact, research, and system defense.

My apologies, I just recalled temporal in the TOS ships and thought it has been all of them, how odd.

I agree that Connie needs to be a t6 starship, it was the top ship for TOS, not the bottom, Cryptic people fix it!!!!!!!

There were battleships etc made under the same tech level at the connie, but being a battleship would be more powerful. Though why the Daedalus is the higher of the 2; well all I can assume is the Connie truly is just a new ship model for what we already have
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's possible that the Federation class isn't owned by CBS, thus they'd be unable to use it without separate licensing it STO.

It seems unlikely for the devs to do that when they're already planning to build multiple new ships.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    This faction called "Agents of Yesterday".

Is there going to be Klingons, Orions, Gorn etc....as well as Romulan and Remans...along with the "normal" Fed races....all under the banner of "Starfleet"?

And this faction going to become the only faction in the game?
    IOW, should we all plan on making new characters from scratch to continue playing?

ADDITION: Will they have their own "Agents of Yesterday" fleets, or can they be joined and assisting KDF Fleets, or are they Federation fleets only?

And are "Temporal Recruits" are only new characters in the new faction?
    Yeah, there's a LOT of question that will be answered in future blogs here. But there are a few things I CAN answer.

AoY is not the faction name, it's the expansion name. The new mini-faction is (apparently) TOS Starfleet.

We don't know yet what races will be playable in the new mini-faction.

There's no reason to believe that the current characters/factions will be discontinued.

There will be special stuff for playing a Temporal Recruit TOS character(similar to Delta Recruits) when they're first introduced. This will be available to your previously existing characters.

How will TOS go with fleets? Unknown. I hope to find out soon. But it's unlikely that they will be new fleets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rifor83rifor83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Strange, I'm sure this announcement is more than a month late for April fools!

Place annoying e-peen boasting signature here!
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    This expansion sounds epic. Bout tjme we had tos era ships. All we need now is tmp!
  • Options

B)

it never appeared on screen, it isnt canon. to call it canon is to call prelude to axanar canon as well.. twisting that logic there a bit huh?

Parts of the artwork did actually appear "on screen" in both TMP & TWOK.
    And parts of the verse were actually called out in TMP as background references.

Also, the folks that actually created those two movies, have been quoted through the years as saying that they purposely did that, so it would be considered part of the Official Canon.

I've been a really heavy Trek Geek for as long as the IP has been around.
    Devouring any and all info I could get my hands on for the last 50 years and I have an extensive library of Books, Magazines and Articles all about Trek.
    I don't expect anybody to take my word for it, but it's quite easy to look these things up for yourself with this new fangled thing called the internetz.
    B)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh I know, but it doesn't mean that Cryptic has the rights to it. :/ Kzinti were on screen and Cryptic can't use those.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

B)

Parts of the artwork did actually appear "on screen" in both TMP & TWOK.
    And parts of the verse were actually called out in TMP as background references.

Also, the folks that actually created those two movies, have been quoted through the years as saying that they purposely did that, so it would be considered part of the Official Canon.

I've been a really heavy Trek Geek for as long as the IP has been around.
    Devouring any and all info I could get my hands on for the last 50 years and I have an extensive library of Books, Magazines and Articles all about Trek.
    I don't expect anybody to take my word for it, but it's quite easy to look these things up for yourself with this new fangled thing called the internetz.
    B)

would be? and i couldnt care less if you were the president of earth himself, parts of this and that is a long way from the actual ship appearing on screen.
  • Options
    Heh...
    Actually, I said awhile back in the thread that it could be that Cryptic doesn't have a license to use the Dreadnought from The Trek Officer's Manual.
    We don't really know, but with only Their ship designs (so far) in the TOS Packs, it seems They don't.

B)
  • Options
    Heh...
    Actually, I said awhile back in the thread that it could be that Cryptic doesn't have a license to use the Dreadnought from The Trek Officer's Manual.
    We don't really know, but with only Their ship designs (so far) in the TOS Packs, it seems They don't.

B)

Franz passed away in 1994, so it is either held by his daughter, Bertelsmann AG or held by CBS.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Is there a dev or a mod or any other official statement that I'm not aware of? I see "multi-mission" but not "multi-faction" ships. As far as I can tell, there is no ship for the KDF or Roms. Of course for me the difference is between a slight grumbling about lack of cultural identity as opposed to disgust at the most blatant "F**k you" to the KDF/Roms I have seen in some time.
  • Options
    korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    It would be great to get a lot more information on this. Don't get me wrong I remember play the 25th Anniversary Star Trek game and this kind of takes me back to that so I can see the appeal. It does however seem an odd choice even with the new show tie ins. The exact PR I'm sure will become clear though the JJ rewrite this feels a little close to something its not.

However, would love to know if this is how things are going to be going in the future. Is it more about mini adventure zones than expanding forward? Is the plan for content to be more stand alone?

How does this effect the other factions? Has it been decided that not enough people play them that if all those players quit it would make little impact on the finance of the game? With all hardcore fans being fully star fleet and they are the ones that spend the money.

Will we see any of the long hoped for species be offered in the C-Store as if this is deemed the most financial sound expansion the idea we may see a Cardassian or Dominion faction seems unlikely. So much like we can roll Ferengi or Klingon Captains in Star Fleet will these temporal adventures allow us to roll a Cardassian captain in the existing factions purchased through the C-Store rather than rather than an Alien who just happens to look like one. After all if you are going to have temporal agents who knows who are members of the various factions hundreds of years in the future.