What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread for the Skill System Revamp

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Does shield penetration work for torpedoes and mines? The top bit says weapon damage but the description talks about energy weapons.

At least torpedo tooltips mention extra shield pen when I put points into respective skill.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,178 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Having real trouble recreating my build. A lot of the stats are 1 to 2% lower on tribble which I am putting down to gear not being updated yet so not listing here. The big ones though are

Hull resistance gone from 22.7% down to -2.5%
    Crit chance gone from 24.4% down to 18.4%
    Crt Severity gone from 105% down to 90%
    Lost around 500 to 1000 damage per weapon. (Torps and mines)
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Having real trouble recreating my build. A lot of the stats are 1 to 2% lower on tribble which I am putting down to gear not being updated yet so not listing here. The big ones though are

That's strange... I found myself equalling most of my stuff or even surpassing it and my torps show a few hundred points higher in damage in Tribble. Have you tried warping in and out of ESD to make sure your stat window is updated?

Also in Holodeck, make sure your fleet isn't running the combat boost from the research lab.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    e30ernest wrote: »

That's strange... I found myself equalling most of my stuff or even surpassing it and my torps show a few hundred points higher in damage in Tribble. Have you tried warping in and out of ESD to make sure your stat window is updated?

Also in Holodeck, make sure your fleet isn't running the combat boost from the research lab.
    Good catch. Some point between when I went to sleep last night and this morning the combat boost kicked in. That just leads the low crit chance and odd hull resistance. Stats taken from Azura mission. From 22.7% down to -2.5% is far to big a hit.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Did you make sure to use the EXACT same skills and equipment?

Give us screen shots of the build on holodeck and tribble as well as of your skill window or better yet put it on STO Academy.
  • Options

Good catch. Some point between when I went to sleep last night and this morning the combat boost kicked in. That just leads the low crit chance and odd hull resistance. Stats taken from Azura mission. From 22.7% down to -2.5% is far to big a hit.

Combat performance tier 3 gives +40 All Damage Resistance Rating as well. Your situation sounds pretty normal to me.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    daiph wrote: »
    [*] Bort has also mentioned that things like the MACO/AKHG shield power return needs balanced specifically with reduction because this is also being talked about alot. Shock horror, when people talk about the leech they talk about power return, which brings up other methods of power return which are also viable by comparison. So your response to 'it's being talked about a lot' is to nerf it? Again, that just flat out doesn't make any sense and doesn't even take any form of empirical evidence into account. The leech specifically is easy to obtain compared to other options which take grinding and RNG (doffs, etc) or dilithium investments (MACO/AKHG shield) vs a single payment of Zen though actual money or dilith grind for KDF, and no dilith required for Fed which reduces the impact on upgrades and all those other dilith sinks Cryptic has implemented to monetise the game, so really Feds, on that matter quite whining, you're still up on the KDF on that front...

While I agree that other leech-like items don't really need a nerf... Ease of obtaining them is relative (I'd say for new and "pure" F2P Fed MACO is the easiest to obtain, then A2B doffs, then far, far down is the leech. It's different if you're willing to spend real money or have a stash of space riches on an alt... MACO is still cheaper, but would take longer, since you can't buy marks or rep tiers [but you don't really need to do much to get enough of either, it just takes time for 20h timers to reset] and I didn't check price on A2B guys recently.)

But there's just one shield, and... what... 8 to 11 consoles on an endgame ship? The other borg set only buffs weapon power, and it takes 2 pieces to get the bonus (one of which would've been entirely useless if not for what set it's in,) and A2B requires very specific kind of build, while leech is entirely plug-and-play. So, putting a leech in a console slot has much less opportunity cost than most alternatives.

* And, just as a pure matter of accounting... Ultimately someone had spent real cash on Zen used to buy those lockbox keys, and it probably took more than 9 to get that leech box and put it up on the exchange... KDF leech is still cheaper in real money terms, even if it doesn't feel that way.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

It's strange that it's negative at all. Something must be off there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

If he's running something like Anchored that could explain the negative resistance. Some of my builds are down as much as -4% resists when running Anchored.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I think e30ernest is on the right track. Not got time to log in right now to double check but as I don't pay attention to Fleet star bases I wasn't aware the combat boost also boosted defense. That explains the large difference in stats. The Anchored trait is what's lowering my resistance. The only stats that don't match up now are the ones related to equipment's that's not been updated. Thanks all.
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You're so incredibly missing the point, it's not even funy any more. This is not about car seats vs. Leech, but simply about the (faulty) reasoning that 'X is being used a lot, therefore X must be overpowered.' My car seat example merely showed exactly that: being used a lot means... absolutely nothing, in terms of needing a nerf.

Actually, it's you that's 'so incredibly missing the point'. It is exactly that your car seat example does NOT show that being used a lot means absolutely nothing that he was explaining to you. Discussing car seats vs leech was simply necessary to show why it doesn't - it's a false analogy. I suggest you read up a bit on it.

• Options
    ensignfreekillensignfreekill Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I understand there was some question a while back on what would be a good Tac line to replace tier 1 if they combine torps and energy as weapon skills...

May I suggest Tactical Weapon Drills:

Tier 1: +5% energy weapon cycle Haste and +.25 second Torpedo cool down reduction.
    Tier 2: +8.5% energy weapon cycle haste and + .4 second Torpedo cool down reduction.
    Tier 3. +10% energy weapon cycle haste and + .5 second Torpedo cool down reduction.

Grants skill "Reload" captain skill, 2 minutes cool down removes weapons offline and resets Torp global Cooldown.

This would be in place of the tier 1 torp skill. The tier 1 weapon skill would add + torp damage. It would use mechanics that exist in the game already, and not be a waste of a slot for tactical.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    When will we be able to copy over our characters, at least one, so we can further test how this will impact our current builds? I appreciate the need for testing while leveling and so on, but there are too many missing ships from Tribble that aren't available to test with, like my Mobius with Elachi Disruptors. Because we can't test with these ships, weapons, and so on. A huge part of this incoming mess will not get tested until we can copy over our Holodeck characters.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    We've been able to copy characters over for days now... you should come out from under that rock more often. Lol
  • Options
    @ensignfreekill

I like that, i had a similar idea but just for torpedo cooldowns. I'd rather it be for ALL projectiles and also that it be percentage based because there are a wide variety of cooldowns on torpedo weapons and .5 seconds would quite frankly suck for most.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    We've been able to copy characters over for days now... you should come out from under that rock more often. Lol

That's good to know. I just patched up, as I hadn't been on the test server since Wednesday evening.

I have an issue with my Romulan Fed. I can't spend skill points, as they all show locked. It shows the points available to be spend, but I can't spend them for some reason. I have tried using a respec tokent o see if that works, but it tells me there are no skills to respec.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    Some feedback from me:

Based on my own experience and what I read/hear from others my only logical conclusion is to not spend further money on STO and start playing with a free to play mentality.

Many people who spend lots of money on the game feel and see their hard earned and tweaked builds performing worse then before. I for exampled tried many combinations of skill point settings trying to get my build up to par with my holodeck build. In all cases its underperforming. This is making the build replication effort by trial and error a frustrating and anoying effort.

If PWE's claim was true being builds can be replicated with this skill tree revamp and changes, they would have provided a default for every ship build owned which supports this replication. Instead you have to respec yourselve.

Conclusion: If I dont spend money anymore on this game, I will not risk investments become useless or suddenly underperform due to changes made by PWE.

If I buy a car that can run 200kmh, it also would be outraged if after buying it, it only runs 100kmh when engine software get changed. May be this example does not fit 100% but not to hard to understand what I mean to say.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    eldritchx wrote: »
    You're so incredibly missing the point, it's not even funy any more. This is not about car seats vs. Leech, but simply about the (faulty) reasoning that 'X is being used a lot, therefore X must be overpowered.' My car seat example merely showed exactly that: being used a lot means... absolutely nothing, in terms of needing a nerf.

Actually, it's you that's 'so incredibly missing the point'. It is exactly that your car seat example does NOT show that being used a lot means absolutely nothing that he was explaining to you.

Yeah, except I didn't say 'that being used a lot means absolutely nothing.' (Are you purposely being disingenuous?!) I said, that 'being used a lot means... absolutely nothing, in terms of needing a nerf.' And then he goes on a rampage, telling me, link and all, LOL, why car seats are needed. Wut?!

If anything, ironically, unbeknownst to himself, he proved my point exactly! Namely, that some things people are using a lot maybe need a nerf, whilst other things being used a lot are an absolute necessity! So that we come back to my statement, that 'being used a lot means... absolutely nothing, in terms of needing a nerf.' A truer statement could not have been made.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    First test run observations:

a) Hull regen rate almost cut in half (153% vs. 86% now), with 1 point in Damage Control;
    ortsim wrote: »
    a) I'm curious about hull regen myself, but I elected to just avoid it since it doesn't work so well in combat, mine is 80% on Tribble and 135% on Holodeck.
    I noticed the same thing, but found it was because "Starship Hull Repair" on Live is both a hull healing boost and passive hull regen. It's split into 2 skills on test.

On Live, I have "Hull Repair" maxed out, and once I maxed "Damage Control" on test my regen went back to where it was.

So, 6 points needed, wheretofore I needed just '3'? (3x packets of 3 = 9 old points). I can't afford to spend that much. :(

That's true, but they also eliminated and cut back on a few skills in Engineering. Did you have any points spent in "Driver Coil"?
    They also cut armor reinforcement from 2 branches to 1, and the subsystem power branches from 4 to 2. So that's 4 branches eliminated to 1 added.
    I have 90 points spent in engineering on Holodeck, equivalent to 30 on Tribble, and yet it only cost me 24 to replicate my build in that part.

This game has 'Driver Coil'?! :P (It only affects speed and turn rate *outside* combat space; who needs that!? Why, not me!).

I currently have 17, 10, and 19 spent on Tribble (Eng, Sci, Tact).

I lost on the base power of (primarily) my shield, as I used to have that maxed out on Holodeck. But yeah, your investment of 24 is substantially more than my 17 in Engineering, so some things had to go. :) Surprisingly, I hardly miss the extra shield power: with Supremacy + Leech (yes, even in its nerfed state, + EPtS1), I can still get its power levels up to 100 pretty fast. So, no biggie.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

a) Hull regen rate almost cut in half (153% vs. 86% now), with 1 point in Damage Control;
    a) I'm curious about hull regen myself, but I elected to just avoid it since it doesn't work so well in combat, mine is 80% on Tribble and 135% on Holodeck.
    I noticed the same thing, but found it was because "Starship Hull Repair" on Live is both a hull healing boost and passive hull regen. It's split into 2 skills on test.

On Live, I have "Hull Repair" maxed out, and once I maxed "Damage Control" on test my regen went back to where it was.

So, 6 points needed, wheretofore I needed just '3'? (3x packets of 3 = 9 old points). I can't afford to spend that much. :(

That's true, but they also eliminated and cut back on a few skills in Engineering. Did you have any points spent in "Driver Coil"?
    They also cut armor reinforcement from 2 branches to 1, and the subsystem power branches from 4 to 2. So that's 4 branches eliminated to 1 added.
    I have 90 points spent in engineering on Holodeck, equivalent to 30 on Tribble, and yet it only cost me 24 to replicate my build in that part.

This game has 'Driver Coil'?! :P (It only affects speed and turn rate *outside* combat space; who needs that!? Why, not me!).

I lost on the base power of (primarily) my shield, as I used to have that maxed out on Holodeck. But yeah, your investment of 24 is substantially more than my 17 in Engineering, so some things had to go. :) Surprisingly, I hardly miss the extra shield power: with Supremacy + Leech (yes, even in its nerfed state, + EPtS1), I can still get its power levels up to 100 pretty fast. So, no biggie.

currently on holodeck driver coil buffs the speed and turn rate of evasive maneuvers and attack pattern omega. A lot of top DPSers max out or at least take 6 points of driver coil so they can move about the map faster. It also lessens the power recovery after full impulse.
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User

Actually, I do and I know a fair number of others who do too. The 'reduced power drain' / 'bounce-back of power' from engines to other subsystems from full impulse in addition to the speed and turn bonus it also gives to full impulse makes it worthwhile, especially in battlezone areas, Khitomer Accord and other missions/levels where you need to travel under FI and engage quickly.
    I imagine that's why there's a skill pick in the new system to represent it as it was decidedly 'not useless' ;)
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    rmy1081 wrote: »

currently on holodeck driver coil buffs the speed and turn rate of evasive maneuvers and attack pattern omega. A lot of top DPSers max out or at least take 6 points of driver coil so they can move about the map faster. It also lessens the power recovery after full impulse.

Hmm, didn't know about the faster power recovery it offers. I thought that was just covered by EPS. Learn something every day. :) Thx!

Still don't have points to spare for Driver Coil under thew paradigm, I'm afraid, though. Or is it integrated elsewhere now? (Like engine base power?)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    daiph wrote: »
    I'm going to bring this up every time someone mentions the leech, it's getting to the point where I feel I need a signature to hammer some of these points home since they're continually overlooked. I'll get to other points when I feel up to it, but really, this new skill system combined with obvious nerfs is being handled really badly. One at a time would've allowed us to gauge it all so much more easily; that they're being done at the same time leads to speculation of what's being hidden intentionally.

^^ This deserves to be quoted, for truth and for posterity.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Hmm, didn't know about the faster power recovery it offers. I thought that was just covered by EPS. Learn something every day. :) Thx!

Still don't have points to spare for Driver Coil under thew paradigm, I'm afraid, though. Or is it integrated elsewhere now? (Like engine base power?)

It's one of the unlock choices now, you can either have faster basic Sector Space travel, or a 50% cool down reduction on your slipstream.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

I should have worded that better. It gives 25 power to each system while under full impulse so when you recover power there's less needed to recover. It's like getting a head start in a race.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User

It's one of the unlock choices now, you can either have faster basic Sector Space travel, or a 50% cool down reduction on your slipstream.

thought it was transwarp, not slipstream​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User

Just wanted to add that I don't know if the 25 power thing is part of that, put somewhere else, or dropped entirely. Probably need to ask Bort about it.

thought it was transwarp, not slipstream​​
    I think your right, I just got them confused.

"Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • Options

I should have worded that better. It gives 25 power to each system while under full impulse so when you recover power there's less needed to recover. It's like getting a head start in a race.

That's still pretty interesting. :) Recovering faster from Full Impulse is kind of a major thing, really (if you come in, guns blazing, but need more time to recover from the subsystem drain, it affects your DPS, of course). I have currently chosen 'Improved Transwarp', but I'll be sure to rectify that mistake. :) Thx again!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    The threat control, which is currently unlockable via the Tactical tree, HAS to go to the Engineering tree. Or better: Make the threat-increase an engineering-perk, and leave the threat-decrease as a tactical perk.

I mean... why move a vital threat skill miles away from the TANK-tree (engineering)?? I do not get it...
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    The unlock for sector space travel speed or reduction in transwarp CD; the sector space travel unlock applies to all sector space travel, not just A-sync warp field, slipstream or other 'over warp 10' travel abilities. My 'base' warp 9.97 was up to 12.something. Very useful and I hope it's intended.
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
This discussion has been closed.