• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    Oh man, wish this kid would give it a rest already tonight
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    mugombie1 wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I'm not saying I agree with his motives, but I'll say I at least understand.

Judging from the NW forums, even Cryptic admitted they screwed up in whatever unicorn based economy they have over there.

I just hope the money Cryptic is losing on revenge-based DDoS attacks is worth the money spent on implementing ideas that really seem to TRIBBLE a lot of players off. Maybe they should start adding in the costs associated with getting a DDoS they can't seem to stop into their business equations.

This guy gets it!

I'm not sure I "get it", because this sort of thing is outside my area of expertise. But, if this is something that has gone unchecked since September of last year or so, then I think it's time to recalculate the social cost of pissing off your players when you're clearly unable to mitigate a DDoS attack.

I'm not even saying I think they should raise a white flag of surrender, but sticking your head in the sand and giving us meaningless platitudes of "We're investigating" and "We're looking into it" when nothing meaningful has come of it thus far is not winning you much support.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    [quote="iconians;12854698"]One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I'm not saying I agree with his motives, but I'll say I at least understand.

Judging from the NW forums, even Cryptic admitted they screwed up in whatever unicorn based economy they have over there.

I just hope the money Cryptic is losing on revenge-based DDoS attacks is worth the money spent on implementing ideas that really seem to TRIBBLE a lot of players off. Maybe they should start adding in the costs associated with getting a DDoS they can't seem to stop into their business equations.​​[/quote]

Be it CoX, Champions, Sto or Neverwinter... Cryptic has never been able to make a sane, functional economy. This game is about as well as they've done, and if you look at the actual exchange value of EC.. yeah, no.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    And on an unrelated note.. any chance Cryptic will ever get the mobile version of their site to not barf all over formatting attempts?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I could get behind the tovan movement

Dude... don't even joke about that. This is serious. If they submit, ANY minor gripe will result in a DDoS because hey, Crypic folds under pressure! Lets shut them done until I get my way!

It would destroy the game as EVERYONE would be doing it to get their way.

A white knight and no sense of humor. Bet your fun at parties. Of course I don't want them to submit but at this point that is what they are doing. I am in IT. The place I work is in the business of receiving data from medical devices every night and processing it. While I understand we are not as big as a target as PWE I do know this. If we let this go on for this long we would be looking for new jobs. Upper management, investors, customers and bean counters could care less about DDOS attacks.

I am a lead application software developer, mostly client side though I work the AWS servers created by our other developers and have set up a few S3 buckets myself.
    Upper management, investors, customers and bean counters could care less about DDOS attacks.

Until you tell them how much it will cost to run multiple servers in multiple data centers to mitigate the DDoS.

We use EC2, S3, etc. for many tasks, but for others it's still much cheaper to use a single dedicated server with one gigabit network connection. We had a minor DDoS on one server last week and management has not made a panicked decision to double our costs.

Yes, if Cryptic decided to start losing money they could add enough servers and database replication to mitigate the DDoS, so maybe it's every other day or even once a week. Then STO shuts down because of the losses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I'm not even saying I think they should raise a white flag of surrender, but sticking your head in the sand and giving us meaningless platitudes of "We're investigating" and "We're looking into it" when nothing meaningful has come of it thus far is not winning you much support.​​

Couldn't have said it better.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    Got quiet in here...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Got quiet in here...

From what I understand, the party responsible for the DDoS attack started and stopped it voluntarily. Likely why it's so quiet.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Got quiet in here...

From what I understand, the party responsible for the DDoS attack started and stopped it voluntarily. Likely why it's so quiet.​​

So why is the launcher still not patching? I've now had this problem for an hour and I can't play around with this much longer if I want to get sleep at all tonight...
  • Options
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    Got quiet in here...

From what I understand, the party responsible for the DDoS attack started and stopped it voluntarily. Likely why it's so quiet.

So why is the launcher still not patching? I've now had this problem for an hour and I can't play around with this much longer if I want to get sleep at all tonight...

I haven't the slightest idea. If it is a DDoS attack, the party responsible hasn't claimed responsibility, which is usually something they do. I mean I suppose they could lie about it and say it isn't them.

But if they have no issues confessing guilt over and over again without consequence, I'm not sure why they'd stop now.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    null
    Thanks Davefenestrator (sorry if I butchered your handle on mobile now) for your response
    What you said makes a lot of sense but for how long can this go on until they do start seeing the loss.
    I understand the network and dev teams are working thier butt off trying to stop this and being stopped by budgets and other roadblocks .
    Happy customer,shareholders, and employees are what should be important and right now that kid is starting to anger all of them
  • Options
    mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Oh never mind I misread your comment
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Send in the Master Chief!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ssbn655 wrote: »

I read that as "Master Chef" and was like, "what? are we gonna kill him with high cholesterol?" XD
  • Options
    sov42 wrote: »

I read that as "Master Chef" and was like, "what? are we gonna kill him with high cholesterol?" XD

ironchefamerica.jpg
    And today's secret ingredient is...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

ironchefamerica.jpg
    Soylent Green​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

ironchefamerica.jpg
    Soylent Green​​

That's what I call it when I make a manual out of a bridge officer candidate. :D
  • Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Funny after I checked my end I just went on and did something else with my time. It is just too common now .To be honest I am sick of seeing STO after one if these mindless weekend events.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Looks like I slept through it this time X)

Having an idea about how DDoS attacks work, I know it's just as much (or even more so) a strain on the staff itself that is trying to handle it, as it is on the server(s).

Tracking it to the source may not be easy either. It's a little like using your ears in a church with a huuuuge interior and trying to follow the clanking sound to try and figure out who dropped a fork, while there's music in the background that gets blocked out by the noise (yep, that's my best analogy off the top off my head ^^''').

Sending lots of bacon ammo for Trendy and the rest of the team! :smile:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    Trendy and the tech team need to dig in deep to deal with these attacks, we players need to show patience and let our community manager and the tech department get on with trying to solve this problem.

Getting mad about it and venting our frustrations is not making their job any easier, so we need to be calm in this situation
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      ronterprise#4195 ronterprise Member Posts: 28 Arc User
      anyone else getting kicked out right about now?
    • Options
      night44450night44450 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
      anyone else getting kicked out right about now?

i was playing just fine, logged out recently with no prob, the attacks have stopped some time ago
    • Options
      kelettes wrote: »
      It's a little like using your ears in a church with a huuuuge interior and trying to follow the clanking sound to try and figure out who dropped a fork, while there's music in the background that gets blocked out by the noise

52c6bb32722307a0c880be00c12292acd4b2ca3d.jpg
      Aye... she's a wee bit dodgy, but that works.
      Trendy and the tech team need to dig in deep to deal with these attacks, we players need to show patience and let our community manager and the tech department get on with trying to solve this problem.

Getting mad about it and venting our frustrations is not making their job any easier, so we need to be calm in this situation

Quoted for truth. SEND MORE BACON!
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      and baked goods; the devs really love getting baked goods​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,330 Arc User
      reyan01 wrote: »

This is so VERY true.

This is one of the worst aspects of this. "We're investigating" implies that, when we finally manage to log in again, it was because of something Cryptic did. And it's not - it's more likely because the idiot behind the DDoS attack got bored/fell asleep or something.

It's more likely that his hired server time expired.
      Still think the whole DDOS attack is rather immature.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    • Options
      daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
      Image2.jpg

After this post, he quickly stopped the DDoS attack, got me wondering.

Why does he have to be named David...

I hate the idiot even more...
      :#
      STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    • Options
      daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
      reyan01 wrote: »
      daveyny wrote: »
      Image2.jpg

After this post, he quickly stopped the DDoS attack, got me wondering.

Why does he have to be named David...

I hate the idiot even more...
      :#

Good god, why - WHY - is anyone indulging the idiot?!

Cause I'm a David..., He's a David..., Wouldn't you like to be a David too?
      B)
      STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    • Options
      tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
      edited February 2016
      rllaillieu wrote: »
      So, I've viewed a bit here and I'm going to sum this entire thread up by saying that it's either people who know how a DDoS works and are patient or people who don't know how a DDoS works and are not patient. At least there's balance

I suppose the Deferi would be happy anyway :)

Also, if people can stop throwing rumours about as to who this guy supposedly is that'd be great, seeing as its clear no one in here knows a damn thing.
      Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
      I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
    • Options
      cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
      Clearly there are still connection issues. Has everyone given up on the hope this will actually get resolved?
      <
      > <
      > <
      >
      Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.