Install Arc
Options

STO Holodeck Connection Issues [2/13]

Comments

• Options
    culexofborgculexofborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    kermani wrote: »
    I noticed a person on my friends list logging on and off very rapidly. This went on for several hours and is unusual for that player. Is this a sign his computer could be infected and unwittingly part of the DDOS?

Nope. He might be being particularly _affected_ by the DDOS, but it's not in itself a sign of being compromised.

He may just be switching tunes as well.. doffs omega etc.. Likely right now just from SNRs
  • Options
    kermanikermani Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    kermani wrote: »
    I noticed a person on my friends list logging on and off very rapidly. This went on for several hours and is unusual for that player. Is this a sign his computer could be infected and unwittingly part of the DDOS?

Nope. He might be being particularly _affected_ by the DDOS, but it's not in itself a sign of being compromised.

Thanks for the reply. I was a little worried for my friends account!

• Options
    superfoxyplushsuperfoxyplush Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I have to say, I'm getting rather tired of this day-in, day-out. Not only am I sick of the Patch downtime being in the middle of the day ( EU ) for 6 years without consideration but this constant DDOS rubbish from an "Eggs-in-one-basket" MMO company is obserd.

Even if you can't do much about the attacks or the little pillock doing it, least you can do is minimise the impact as best you can. Everytime I try to "Give ST:O a break" I get stuck, again, just trying to do something simple and end up logging off for hours at a time. Even with the T6 ships and sale .. I just can't justify giving any money because I just keep getting slapped by many bugs that haven't been patched 'yet' and then not being able to use the game you want me to pay for...

*Sigh* ... I hope you get all this fixed because, to be honest .. I'm getting to the end of it with ST:O.

Please?
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I think we are all getting frustrated. Staff at cryptic and us customers included. Just have a lil faith in trendy and co to get it sorted. When its all done I hope we have a 'event' to celebrate :D
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    yr0HL02.jpg
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,068 Community Moderator
    I have to say, I'm getting rather tired of this day-in, day-out. Not only am I sick of the Patch downtime being in the middle of the day ( EU ) for 6 years without consideration but this constant DDOS rubbish from an "Eggs-in-one-basket" MMO company is obserd.

The problem with the Patch time is that no matter WHEN you set it, it will be in the middle of the day somewhere in the world. Its not inconsiderate at all. They're running on Pacific Time in the US. At least our maintenance times are all generally at the same time. For us west coast US players its morning on Thursdays.

And I kinda agree. It might be time to consider splitting the games between different server farms so that all three don't get taken down when one gets targeted like this. But until Cryptic gets the resources, not much can be done on that end.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »
    I think we are all getting frustrated. Staff at cryptic and us customers included. Just have a lil faith in trendy and co to get it sorted. When its all done I hope we have a 'event' to celebrate :D

Faith is the denial of reality. It is a carrot dangled before a draft horse in a vein attempt to keep it plodding along blindly.
  • Options
    coldwinterskycoldwintersky Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    There's nothing like people who have nothing better to do with their time than cause problems for others. I would pity them but then again I just think they need to get out of the basement...
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And I kinda agree. It might be time to consider splitting the games between different server farms so that all three don't get taken down when one gets targeted like this. But until Cryptic gets the resources, not much can be done on that end.

We've been suggesting this for a long time. Seems to be falling on deaf ears.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,068 Community Moderator
    sov42 wrote: »

Again... I think its more funding or available resources. Costs money to maintain a server. While in theory having all three in one place cuts down costs and makes maintenance easier, it also makes all three more vulnerable to a DDoS attack by virture of "proximity".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    Looks like its going to be a Medieval 2 total war siege night for me
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited February 2016

Again... I think its more funding or available resources. Costs money to maintain a server. While in theory having all three in one place cuts down costs and makes maintenance easier, it also makes all three more vulnerable to a DDoS attack by virture of "proximity".

You can rationalize it all you like, it doesn't make Cryptic look any less of an embarrassment.

And oh look, it's happening again. >_>
    • Options
      You can rationalize it all you like, it doesn't make Cryptic look any less of an embarrassment.

Its less rationalizing and more accepting that things won't change because we say so in terms of tech. We do what we can with what's provided. With time we may see a server upgrade. *shrug* In the meantime... I take it DDoS Prick is at it again based on what I'm seeing here?
    • Options
      torrynwoodsrunnertorrynwoodsrunner Member Posts: 28 Arc User
      Yeah, he's at it again. They're not even slowing him down, let alone stopping him...
    • Options
      forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
      You guessed correctly. He's back at it.
    • Options
      Hope legal action is on the way.
    • Options
      scarlet0nescarlet0ne Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      Yep, it's going again. Lovely.
    • Options
      lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 18 Arc User

Its less rationalizing and more accepting that things won't change because we say so in terms of tech. We do what we can with what's provided. With time we may see a server upgrade. *shrug* In the meantime... I take it DDoS Prick is at it again based on what I'm seeing here?

IIRC last time I remember bothering to check traceroute during attacks things go to hell at the jump just before Cryptic. Even if they moved to separate servers per game, they'd still be running through the same carrier who also gets hit with all that traffic. It's hardly just an issue for Cryptic, and they're not the only ones (not entirely anyway) affected by it. It's all well and good to claim Cryptic isn't 'doing anything', but there are probably more than a few other companies that have reason to want it to stop, and yet it keeps happening. There isn't a magic wand for it, period.
    • Options
      turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
      And yep, looking like another round of it tonight...
      Looks like its time for another night of Final Fantasy.
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
      ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    • Options
      IIRC last time I remember bothering to check traceroute during attacks things go to hell at the jump just before Cryptic. Even if they moved to separate servers per game, they'd still be running through the same carrier who also gets hit with all that traffic. It's hardly just an issue for Cryptic, and they're not the only ones (not entirely anyway) affected by it. It's all well and good to claim Cryptic isn't 'doing anything', but there are probably more than a few other companies that have reason to want it to stop, and yet it keeps happening. There isn't a magic wand for it, period.

I just wish people would realize this. There is no magic wand. There is not magic Fix Button. But people don't seem to understand and just lash out at Cryptic for what they feel is their fault when it isn't. Its the DDoS Prick's fault because he feels the need to have a power trip.
    • Options
      edited February 2016
      Its not cryptics fault. kick back, watch some Startrek and relax. This is what they want. us to react to it
    • Options
      superfoxyplushsuperfoxyplush Member Posts: 87 Arc User

I do completely agree with you -however- how is this situation going for Cryptic? They look like they don't do anything ( Whether or not they do, I don't know ) they're getting less money ( I refuse to give them anything ) so they're further in the pooper than they were. I mean, have to spend money to make it .. right?

This is turning out to be a particularly laughable 6th Bday and a happy 50th, especially after the "We've learnt from past mistakes" blog we got a few weeks ago. So far I see that nothing has been taken to heart.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not berating where it isn't warrented. Trendy does a fantastic job as the sexy 'face' of the ST:O community, the 'faceless' techs do a good job dispite my criticisms but I, like many others, feel that more could be done. If ST:O funded itself without the aid of the other MMO's then this would've been fixed or the company would've gone under ... surely?

Seems like little headway is being made, especially when U.S companies decide that transparancy is evil and everyone needs to be kept in the dark. It makes them look lazy really. I would like to know more...

• Options
      psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
      I still don't see why they can't just contact the appropriate authorities and have them track this kid down.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
    • Options
      U think they haven't. Theres loads of things they cant tel us for security resons
    • Options
      I still don't see why they can't just contact the appropriate authorities and have them track this kid down.

Word is he's in the UK, so international stuff kinda clouds the water.

I do completely agree with you -however- how is this situation going for Cryptic? They look like they don't do anything ( Whether or not they do, I don't know ) they're getting less money ( I refuse to give them anything ) so they're further in the pooper than they were. I mean, have to spend money to make it .. right?

This is turning out to be a particularly laughable 6th Bday and a happy 50th, especially after the "We've learnt from past mistakes" blog we got a few weeks ago. So far I see that nothing has been taken to heart.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not berating where it isn't warrented. Trendy does a fantastic job as the sexy 'face' of the ST:O community, the 'faceless' techs do a good job dispite my criticisms but I, like many others, feel that more could be done. If ST:O funded itself without the aid of the other MMO's then this would've been fixed or the company would've gone under ... surely?

Seems like little headway is being made, especially when U.S companies decide that transparancy is evil and everyone needs to be kept in the dark. It makes them look lazy really. I would like to know more...

Unfortunately, companies are not required to share details on anything with consumers. While it would be appreciated, best we can get is updates on the situation. Not actual technical details on what they are doing.

They're just as frustrated as we are. Us demanding details isn't helping, and might be more of a distraction.