Options

STO Holodeck Connection Issues [2/13]

Comments

• Options
    mugombie1mugombie1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    mugombie1 wrote: »
    I am quite relaxed. I would be very understanding if this was an occasional occurrence. I also understand international law can be tricky. Another thing I understand is DDOS attacks are a pain in the rear but come on this is out of hand. You white knighting will not help a thing but people dropping subscriptions and not unlocking boxes will make them do something or they will fail.

Suggesting they submit to a cyber criminal is also not going to solve anything. It sets a dangerous precident that would open the floodgates. Soon we'll have people shutting down STO until PvP is revamped, Reputation's are removed, Tovan Kev is dismissable...

Where does it end?

Best to just ride it out and get on when things stabilize again.

I could get behind the tovan movement
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator

Dude... don't even joke about that. This is serious. If they submit, ANY minor gripe will result in a DDoS because hey, Crypic folds under pressure! Lets shut them done until I get my way!

It would destroy the game as EVERYONE would be doing it to get their way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User
    He is at it again. Now his demands are get some guy on twitter 150 followers and he will stop. Guess the guy donated $1500 to his cause. For now I am done with this game and canceling my subscription till I see an announcement that it is done with and by that I mean you catch him or you give into his demands what ever they are. I suggest you pick the latter since its taking you over a month to correct it. I am amazed that your business is online games and you can't stay online due to some punk. Good luck PWE I have a feeling this keeps up there will be layoffs in your future

Dude... relax. Its just a game. If word on the grapevine is accurate... the noose is closing.

I am quite relaxed. I would be very understanding if this was an occasional occurrence. I also understand international law can be tricky. Another thing I understand is DDOS attacks are a pain in the rear but come on this is out of hand. You white knighting will not help a thing but people dropping subscriptions and not unlocking boxes will make them do something or they will fail.

Microsoft and Sony have not been able to "do something," nor has any other MMO.

DDoS attacks happen to everyone, because the vandals use botnets and the way the web is designed those botnets can hammer any set of servers into uselessness given enough bots.

It's happening to STO more often because this is a smaller MMO and so it's much cheaper to attack. 1 attack on Xbox live = 100? attacks on STO.
  • Options
    nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    He is at it again. Now his demands are get some guy on twitter 150 followers and he will stop. Guess the guy donated $1500 to his cause. For now I am done with this game and canceling my subscription till I see an announcement that it is done with and by that I mean you catch him or you give into his demands what ever they are. I suggest you pick the latter since its taking you over a month to correct it. I am amazed that your business is online games and you can't stay online due to some punk. Good luck PWE I have a feeling this keeps up there will be layoffs in your future

Dude... relax. Its just a game. If word on the grapevine is accurate... the noose is closing.

Keep in mind DDoS troll groups like Lizard Squad still exist despite best investigative efforts. It's like an annual Christmas tradition for them to knock down the PS & Xbox networks now.

In due time, dude, in due time. Word on the interwebz is this buffoon is within arm's reach of being dragged in thanks to the snail's pace of legal things.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

Dude... don't even joke about that. This is serious. If they submit, ANY minor gripe will result in a DDoS because hey, Crypic folds under pressure! Lets shut them done until I get my way!

Besides; say they gave this guy back his account, his in-game exploit to abuse and gave his 'friend' on Twitter 1500 followers... What's to stop him from doing it again next week and demanding even more - infinite funds, 'time-gated' items, free lifetime subscription with benefits and so forth? And then again demanding more once he's gotten that?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    So, I've viewed a bit here and I'm going to sum this entire thread up by saying that it's either people who know how a DDoS works and are patient or people who don't know how a DDoS works and are not patient. At least there's balance
  • Options

A white knight and no sense of humor. Bet your fun at parties. Of course I don't want them to submit but at this point that is what they are doing. I am in IT. The place I work is in the business of receiving data from medical devices every night and processing it. While I understand we are not as big as a target as PWE I do know this. If we let this go on for this long we would be looking for new jobs. Upper management, investors, customers and bean counters could care less about DDOS attacks.
  • Options
    heartbrake#3322 heartbrake Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Image2.jpg

After this post, he quickly stopped the DDoS attack, got me wondering.
  • Options
    omegaher0omegaher0 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    This is getting very frustrating. I have been playing this game for about 5 years now and this has been the first time that I haven't been able to fully play. The only time I have to play is after work, so it's frustrating when I come home and find that the servers are down again because of the ddos. I have been able to play a grand total of 4 hours hours the past week because of this mess. I JUST WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY WHY HE'S DOING IT?!

Sorry, just needed to vent a little...
    "Suffer the little ones, lest they rise up and beat you senseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I'm sure it's incredibly annoying for Trendy, having to try to placate a bunch of unruly peasants who understand nothing about computers while being unable to actually do anything about this.

Unruly peasants who know nothing about computers and are unable to do anything about this? Why is Trendy trying to placate the Cryptic staff?

Ba-dum-tish!
    If word on the grapevine is accurate... the noose is closing.

The noose is closing? This guy has been at this pretty much nightly for five months. Cryptic should maybe try to close said noose at a pace that wouldn't be kindly described as "glacial".
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    omegaher0 wrote: »
    This is getting very frustrating. I have been playing this game for about 5 years now and this has been the first time that I haven't been able to fully play. The only time I have to play is after work, so it's frustrating when I come home and find that the servers are down again because of the ddos. I have been able to play a grand total of 4 hours hours the past week because of this mess. I JUST WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY WHY HE'S DOING IT?!

Sorry, just needed to vent a little...

He's doing it because his bits are the size of a pencil eraser and he apparently gets off on pissing other people off.

EDIT: The launcher is currently refusing to patch, so I'll assume the attack is stil ongoing?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator
    A white knight and no sense of humor. Bet your fun at parties.

You haven't been to the Ban Thread in Ten Forward have you? Or seen semalda's Fight thread? I have a sense of humor. But when it comes to shtako like this, I'm serious.
    omegaher0 wrote: »
    I JUST WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY WHY HE'S DOING IT?!

Short version: Cryptic fixed an exploit, and DDoS Prick was banned. Now he's got a grudge.
    Also... I feel your pain.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

You haven't been to the Ban Thread in Ten Forward have you? Or seen semalda's Fight thread? I have a sense of humor. But when it comes to shtako like this, I'm serious.

I'm not sure what impresses me more, your fast slap down of the fool, or the fact that you used "shtako" here.
  • Options
    rllaillieu wrote: »

I'm not sure what impresses me more, your fast slap down of the fool, or the fact that you used "shtako" here.

Yes... I'm one of those mutants who likes more than one fandom. B)
    Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Wing Commander, Defiance...
  • Options

Um really? Slapdown?
    What ever.
    Keep white knighting after 1000 you get a free t-6 ship I guess
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User

Suggesting they submit to a cyber criminal is also not going to solve anything. It sets a dangerous precident that would open the floodgates. Soon we'll have people shutting down STO until PvP is revamped, Reputation's are removed, Tovan Kev is dismissable...

Where does it end?

Best to just ride it out and get on when things stabilize again.

I agree. Granted, this may seem to be a bit of an over-exaggeration, but in many ways I'm seeing some scary similarities to terrorism in this activity, and I'm of the belief to never negotiate with them.

I confess that I'm just as frustrated as many others with all of this happening, but I am going to continue with this game and Cryptic will continue to get my support simply because I refuse to give this guy the benefit of thinking he may be winning in the little "crusade" of his. There may be many subscriptions lost because of this happening, but you can be assured that mine will continue as long as possible.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    night44450night44450 Member Posts: 18 Arc User

wait? you have to choose 1 fandom? why wasnt i told? now i gotta toss my star wars items plus a few other items of other series. except for my trek items
  • Options

Um really? Slapdown?
    What ever.

Yep, you were slapped down off your "I'm so high and mighty" perch. Please save us all the time and stay off of it in the future.

Glad to see I'm not alone there.
  • Options

Um really? Slapdown?
    What ever.

You also never saw me when we still had a bug from Season 7 that was denying accolade rewards. I was vocal.
    There may be many subscriptions lost because of this happening, but you can be assured that mine will continue as long as possible.

If I was subbed, I'd be with you. Either way... I plan to stick around until they turn off the lights. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Where's Boba Fett when ya need him?
  • Options
    night44450night44450 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »

he might be checking his equipment while waiting for a green light
  • Options

Um really? Slapdown?
    What ever.

Yep, you were slapped down off your "I'm so high and mighty" perch. Please save us all the time and stay off of it in the future.

HA On my perch TWEET TWEET
    For now on I may frequent here just because you asked not to it will give me something to do while this game is unplayable.
  • Options
    Boba Fett?
    150?cb=20150702054122
    Samus Aran FTW!
  • Options
    dwwolfedwwolfe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    OK folks, time for me to chime in yet again.

@pwlaughingtrendy and her team are doing what they can. No, they are not going to tell us everything. It would be rather stupid of they did. Has anyoone here ever hear a military term called OpSec? Means Operational Security, ie you don't put out information that your opponent can possibly use against you.

Am I frustrated? Yeah, no doubt about it.

Is me getting my nickers in a twist, jumping up and down, ranting and screaming going to help in any way? Chances are a snowball in a proverbial after life related hot spot would last longer.

So here is the short of it. You choose to walk away from a game because you are not getting your way, fine, your loss, not mine. You wanna harsh the devs and networking team for "not doing their jobs?" Unless you are a member of that team and can prove this definitively, you really need to pipe down and get a grip. You want to help keep this game alive and possibly even grow it in the future? Great! Show some patience, give respect, and understanding, and turn the flamethrowers off and relax.
    Too many characters to list but still adding more.......The addiction to this game is real
  • Options
    I will warn you all of this. Do not read his twitter. It makes you hate him even more
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User

Busy being fictional and digested...? 0_o

I'll let you decide which one is doing more to stop him...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

Busy being fictional and digested...? 0_o

I'll let you decide which one is doing more to stop him...

My bet is on the fictional character. ;)
  • Options
    I still vote Samus Aran.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I'm not saying I agree with his motives and actions, but I'll say I at least understand.

Judging from the NW forums, even Cryptic admitted they screwed up in whatever unicorn based economy they have over there.

I just hope the money Cryptic is losing on revenge-based DDoS attacks is worth the money spent on implementing ideas that really seem to TRIBBLE a lot of players off. Maybe they should start adding in the costs associated with getting a DDoS they can't seem to stop into their business strategies.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I'm not saying I agree with his motives, but I'll say I at least understand.

Judging from the NW forums, even Cryptic admitted they screwed up in whatever unicorn based economy they have over there.

I just hope the money Cryptic is losing on revenge-based DDoS attacks is worth the money spent on implementing ideas that really seem to TRIBBLE a lot of players off. Maybe they should start adding in the costs associated with getting a DDoS they can't seem to stop into their business equations.​​

This guy gets it!