test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground combat sucks and an Admiral would NEVER have to engage in it...

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    Well... her being half Romulan would explain her use of... colorful language too. ;)
    As for Spock... he omits, he inferres...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    In the words of someone wiser than me " I didn't lie I gave him selective misinformation!"
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... her being half Romulan would explain her use of... colorful language too. ;)

No Spock implies, the listener inferres, lol, had to do it. Spock also exaggerates, but in the Enterprise Incident I'm having a hard time seeing it as anything but lying directly to the Romulan Commander, especially when he told her Kirk was not sane.

eh, that wasn't really a lie...i mean, with all the stuff kirk's pulled over the decades, you can't exactly call him sane

same goes for any other captain of an enterprise - you've got to be just a little bit insane to sit in the big chair of the federation's flagship​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

No Spock implies, the listener inferres, lol, had to do it. Spock also exaggerates, but in the Enterprise Incident I'm having a hard time seeing it as anything but lying directly to the Romulan Commander, especially when he told her Kirk was not sane.

eh, that wasn't really a lie...i mean, with all the stuff kirk's pulled over the decades, you can't exactly call him sane

same goes for any other captain of an enterprise - you've got to be just a little bit insane to sit in the big chair of the federation's flagship​​

The argument (and I saw a good discussion about this once) is that there is, absolutely, no rule against command officers going into the field. General regulation 15 doesn't EXIST.

I actually brought this up once and the counter was made that if you watch Saavik's reaction and Kirk's reaction to Spock, the likeliest interpretation is that she made up, out of thin air, a rule discouraging command staff from going on away missions.

The look she gives Kirk when he says it isn't true is one of recognition and then the look Kirk shoots Spock implies, "Why is your star pupil lying to me?"

I had once interpreted that to mean, "Doesn't she know we don't follow the rules out here?" And I think Kirk does have a larger arc that would support that through the films. (Ie. He's dissatisfied with following the rules. Breaking the rules is how he became a captain so young. He breaks the rules and Spock dies. He breaks the rules to bring back Spock and loses his ship and his son. He breaks the rules to save earth and gets demoted. He breaks the rules to challenge someone claiming to be God. He has to retire because his rule breaking means there can never be peace with the Klingons. He laments to Picard that he allowed himself to get penned in by rules.) If this is Kirk's arc then, yeah, he was lying when he said there was no regulation.

But the counter case to that is that he knows the rules and is the most by-the-book captain out there and that his real arc is that he only broke the rules when he understood them and that the rules he broke were the kind of rules anybody who believed in those rules would break. And that he never violated the spirit of the rules UNTIL he decided to bring back Spock. And that and his increasing inability to understand the rules was what led to his final retirement. So in that case, his story is one of a guy who righteously broke the rules in a lawful way until he stole the Enterprise and that the fallout from that was because he came to value friends and family over the rules. If this is Kirk's arc then he was legit telling the truth about there being no regulation and Saavik was lying because Spock had encouraged her to lie.
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    How about this OP, if you want to play like a "real admiral", go to your ship's bridge. Go to your ready room. And then only DOff and do admiralty missions. And never leave. Don't do missions, don't do events, don't do queues. Just sit at that desk and do paperwork.

OP: this (QFT).

If you really want to behave like an Admiral, go fly a desk. Leave the rest of us to enjoy the game as best we can and you can go play it your way.

kthxbye.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    So OP your telling me that it is unlikely I will ever meet you in Brotherhood of the Sword Elite or the numerous other exciting ground PvE in STO? :'(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    deadtessa wrote: »
    Starfleet regulations say that the captain of a ship is not to go on away missions if there is any danger

then it seems STO is 3 seasons of Kirk violating starfleet regulations....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    its a game, not real life.
    how would you feel about sto if all your character did all day as an "Admiral" was sit at a desk running doff and admiralty missions.
    as an admiral you should not even be on a ship that is likely to face combat, the only time you should be aboard ship is to run inspections.

in sto your rank means nothing more then a way to make you feel as though you have progressed in the game.
    you are the same person you are when you started playing, if ground (and space for that matter) was good enough for you then it should be good enough for you now.

if you really don't like ground combat you should have gone and found a game that doesn't involve any ground combat long before you ever got to captain let alone admiral because there will always be any equal mix of ground and space combat in sto.
    alternatively if you really don't like the missions because they involve ground combat just do nice safe doff and admiralty missions and leave space and ground combat to the real men.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    How about this OP, if you want to play like a "real admiral", go to your ship's bridge. Go to your ready room. And then only DOff and do admiralty missions. And never leave. Don't do missions, don't do events, don't do queues. Just sit at that desk and do paperwork.

OP: this (QFT).

If you really want to behave like an Admiral, go fly a desk. Leave the rest of us to enjoy the game as best we can and you can go play it your way.

kthxbye.

Well that's a senior Admiral. An admrial incharge of a carrier task group or Expeditionary strike force, they tend to do a bit more.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Well that's a senior Admiral. An admrial incharge of a carrier task group or Expeditionary strike force, they tend to do a bit more.

*evil grin* That just means the desk moves.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    tinyfisted wrote: »

No, they actually have to get out from behind the desk, order where the group goes, when it attacks, and generally makes sure the squadron is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Can't always do that from behind a desk.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options

No, they actually have to get out from behind the desk, order where the group goes, when it attacks,

... from a desk.
    and generally makes sure the squadron is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Can't always do that from behind a desk.

Only if your flag captain is incompetent.
  • Options

No, they actually have to get out from behind the desk, order where the group goes, when it attacks,

... from a desk.
    and generally makes sure the squadron is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Can't always do that from behind a desk.

Only if your flag captain is incompetent.

You've never been on a flagship of a real navy have you?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options

*chuckle* Like the OP, I'm mostly just winding you up. (I wanted to add a *sly grin* to the end of that post so it'd be obvious to you I wasn't serious, but then, you missed the *evil grin* earlier. I can't edit posts for some reason.) We don't really have (or especially need) admirals in Canada unless the Chief of the Defense Staff happens to be from the navy branch. (And not since 1997, apparently.)

In any case, Star Trek's idea of admirals is a bit... weird..., and STO's 'everyone gets to be an admiral' doesn't mix well with 'this mission calls for you to do menial sh...tuff. (Bajor's surface where you 'report' to a Lt., the station prior to New Talax, where you play gopher to some random cook and/or to a lazy-tailed shift foreman.) Player ranks should top out at Captain, and I'd support Cryptic correcting this retroactively, if they're ever of a mind to.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I actually like the ground combat in STO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

*chuckle* Like the OP, I'm mostly just winding you up. (I wanted to add a *sly grin* to the end of that post so it'd be obvious to you I wasn't serious, but then, you missed the *evil grin* earlier. I can't edit posts for some reason.) We don't really have (or especially need) admirals in Canada unless the Chief of the Defense Staff happens to be from the navy branch. (And not since 1997, apparently.)

In any case, Star Trek's idea of admirals is a bit... weird..., and STO's 'everyone gets to be an admiral' doesn't mix well with 'this mission calls for you to do menial sh...tuff. (Bajor's surface where you 'report' to a Lt., the station prior to New Talax, where you play gopher to some random cook and/or to a lazy-tailed shift foreman.) Player ranks should top out at Captain, and I'd support Cryptic correcting this retroactively, if they're ever of a mind to.

only reason my main is a "Rear Admiral" is because I slightly RP him as in command of a squadron much like Delta flight and Tom Paris. But my main took the promotion so he would be on par with COs like Admiral Tuvok. But has dodged higher promotion like the plague.

Nice to be a squadron CO, get to be out in the thick of things.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    /snip

I kind of do something similar with my Fed characters that are in my solo fleet. One character is the Admiral in charge of the "special task group" and the others are under his command. But thats about the extent of my RP in this game.

Well just for my own reasoning, it explains why my toon hops from ship to ship to carry out different functions.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    This game isn't a simulation of life in Starfleet. It's a simulator for watching an episode of Star Trek.

This. The game is supposed to let you play episodes of Star Trek, and, if you compare ground combat scenes in most episodes with a ground combat mission in STO, that's exactly what it does. It is a faithful simulation of pretty terrible combat. It was never the important part, anyway - the show is about issues like endangered species, communism, state religions, rule of law, racism, and so on. The best way to really play "Star Trek" in the way Roddenberry would have intended is to stand around on ESD and argue about taxes or abortion or something.

If you thought ST was sci-fi, you've been fooled just as thoroughly as the networks were when Roddenberry fed them the "space cowboys" lie.
  • Options
    This game isn't a simulation of life in Starfleet. It's a simulator for watching an episode of Star Trek.

Nah, not even close. Most episodes of Trek were talk, not shoot. That wouldn't translate well to a video game. I'm happy to log into STO and blow stuff up :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User

Nah, not even close. Most episodes of Trek were talk, not shoot. That wouldn't translate well to a video game. I'm happy to log into STO and blow stuff up :D

I'm sure you just spam F to skip it all, but there is a lot of "talk" in STO's episodes and missions. And you're right: it doesn't translate well to a video game, which is probably why most people skip it (in most games, not just STO). This isn't even limited to video games, either. People don't read.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    OP is perfectly entitled to their own opinion of course, however, I do not share it.

Ground missions provide a great contrast to space based gameplay in my view, especially the more 'developed' missions which provide options and which are more diplomatic/puzzle-solving in nature.

Aside from the predominantly combat orientated ground content (I'm not a 'diplomacy purist' or anything), I dislike the following for ground missions:
    • How seemingly ineffectual our weapons are (not crit), such that we might hit an NPC five times with a phaser until they collapse. Didn't see that on tv! I'd rather have a charging mechanic and a cover system;
    • No meaningful tricorder gameplay;
    • Enforced 'killing' of combatants in most missions when it wouldn't hurt the story (if stealth) to 'beam their unconscious bodies into a local transport buffer', ala Star Trek Away Team...

One thing you might consider if you had an alien character as your Captain or Admiral, is to take on a 'crewman' or first officer type costume when on the ground. So, you can both be your Admiral when at ESD and Ensign Ricky when mowing down Klingons.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Really there's talk??? We've killed enough to wipe out entire civilisations
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »

I'm sure you just spam F to skip it all, but there is a lot of "talk" in STO's episodes and missions. And you're right: it doesn't translate well to a video game, which is probably why most people skip it (in most games, not just STO). This isn't even limited to video games, either. People don't read.

It is POSSIBLE to make a decent game focused on dialogue, but only one company has come close to mastering that fine art, and it AIN'T Cryptic.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    I always interpreted Saavik's look to be along the lines of, "I'm not going to call you a liar to your face right here on the bridge, Admiral, but we both know that's not even a good lie."

Anyway, what's all this talk about admirals? The only character I have that has that rank at all is an admiral with Starfleet Intelligence - but he still wears the lesser insignia when he's aboard his ship. All the rest are Level 60 captains.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes, Kirk spent a lot of time talking to the Gorn. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    farranor wrote: »

I'm sure you just spam F to skip it all, but there is a lot of "talk" in STO's episodes and missions.

Yeah, you missed my point. I was not saying there was no "talk" in STO. I was saying that most of STO's missions have a combat focus. Conversely, most Trek episodes did not. Therefore, STO is not a "simulation for watching an episode of Trek", unless that episode being "watched" were one of the rare combat focused episodes.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    deadtessa wrote: »
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I HATE and I mean absolutely LOATHE ground combat. HATE IT. IT SUCKS. It's no fun and I don't want to be bothered with it. I can see having to put up with it as an ensign or even a commander, but after you hit captain, it just shouldn't happen anymore. Starfleet regulations say that the captain of a ship is not to go on away missions if there is any danger, this is absolutely FORBIDDEN for admirals. They should never leave their ship, and indeed that is EXACTLY what I want. I don't want to go traipsing all over some filthy alien planet getting shot at. I want to be on my nice comfy bridge ordering my peons to go do it for me, like it is meant to be.

Can we have an option to NOT go on away missions? I mean seriously, they totally suck. I hate them. I always have. (I've been playing this game since Beta and ground combat has sucked since then.)

That stopped Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway from going on any dangerous missions? (Well this regulation may not have been in place till after Archer, but still.)

Besides...just because we're admiral in game doesn't mean everyone plays a admiral. Starfleet is hurting for heroes...preventing a hero from doing what a hero does effectively makes them useless. They rushed to promote us to admiral, we're such good officers, it's a waste to make us sit behind a desk on some starbase behind frontlines.
    Post edited by lianthelia on
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

I didn't say it was a 100% effective simulator.

In any case, i arcade and ludological elements of gameplay on the ground are what they are. You lead an away team. You punch, hack, slash, and fire. You do TJ Hooker dirt rolls. It might be better simplified but I don't think it needs enhanced fundamentally or that it's something that needs to be avoidable in favor of space combat.

Rather, if anything, I think ground combat could use more of a "meta-game" beyond shooting to represent episodic stories and the things you're talking about. But that would build on the stuff we've got, not skip it so people can stick to pew-pewing things with ships only.
This discussion has been closed.